/SoS/ Song of Swords General: We miss John Galt edition

Last Time on Song of Swords:
Can Ohanedin even use swords?
More new guns for Ballad, including the FAMAS!
Giant warships, full of whores!
Jimmy dick: now on Shapeways!
Song of Swords is a realistic fantasy tabletop RPG that draws inspiration from historical fechtbuchs, weapons and armor. Its combat system is fast and it can be used for both fantasy and historical/mundane settings.

Call of the Void is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

Here's a MEGA folder with the newest version of the rules as well as all related current working documents. At this time the latest version is v1.9.9:
mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a walkthrough on creating a character
paste2.org/aKfOBmWJ

Here's a walkthrough on weapon schools for SoS 1.9.9 with examples
paste2.org/6OyOsFM3

This PDF is the Ballad of the Laser Whales' latest version, bookmarked.
mediafire.com/download/2cin9ly01z2bp4c/CoTV1.4.pdf

Ballad weapons and calibers converted to their real world counterparts: paste2.org/Hp7eDsa7

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
The room might be empty, but the people who teach the game still browse the thread frequently. If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xs-pTGqQPc4&index=212&list=LLqjg1dSRqBPsudvzg6WvxpQ
pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/technique/gun-timeline/)
metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/22387):
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>They can make machines that have nervous systems analogous to those of humans, but they cannot make artificial brains.
>human nervous system without brain
I think Jimmy has a major anatomical misconception.

I think he means a brain with any part that pertains to motor control and sensation.

>No Man's Sky sucks
>All I have left is SoS

okay seriously what's the story with your pic?
I tried to google search it and am comming up short.

I GOTTA KNOW MAN!!!

They came back with a warrant.
What I want to know is why they needed ten guys in full gear to serve a warrant.

>They came back with a warrant.
Well I can see that!
>They came back with a warrant.
but what did she do?!

I'm guessing that the kind of household that posts "come back with a warrant" pictures online also posts about how many guns they have, and how the government is evil and people should bravely resist it. So the cops took precautions.

It looks like a rural area, it's not like SWAT has anything better to do in Nebraska.

Is John Galt dead?

No, just drunk.

No, he is just squatting on your bed and smoking

Jimmy, mind elaborating on what changes you're making to fatigue? You're making changes to fatigue, right? Because something like fatigue is the only way to get cinematic battles in SoS without making really fucking stupid, nonsensical and unrealistic patchwork rules

What does 'cinematic' mean in this context, and why would it be desirable?

>Because something like fatigue is the only way to get cinematic battles in SoS

Back-and-forth combat with gradual accumulation of damage and an emergent storyline within that fight itself. Wuxia-style.

Actual wounds are way too debilitating. Real combat was very, very fast and very, very decisive, which is very, very boring.

Note, I don't think it's a bad thing that wounds lead to a near-insurmountable death spiral, in fact I like it, but I also like to have some less realistic shit going on sometimes, and fatigue helps combat from being a back-and-forth nothing-happens slugfest until someone one-shots the other

Ohanedin with noble school can get TN 4 parties with a Maine gauche, half pike, or truncheon. Sick nasty.

Go find another game then. SoS isn't for you.

Or Implement luck rules from Ballad

Armored combat is less decisive, there can be an ebb and flow to it.

Not as long as we believe.

That would be nice, as an optional rule. Not sure how to implement it in the PCP system though. Character creation would be thrown off.

youtube.com/watch?v=xs-pTGqQPc4&index=212&list=LLqjg1dSRqBPsudvzg6WvxpQ

Lest we forget

The Ohanedin are the fucking master race of this setting. A naked unarmed ODin can reliably bust up a fully armored and armed human of equal ability more than half of the time.

I'm genuinely curious as to why they aren't the ruling class of every society.

I think starfish don't have a brain, right?

Ah, yes remembered that correctly:
>While a starfish lacks a centralized brain, it has a complex nervous system with a nerve ring around the mouth and a radial nerve running along the ambulacral region of each arm parallel to the radial canal. The peripheral nerve system consists of two nerve nets: a sensory system in the epidermis and a motor system in the lining of the coelomic cavity. Neurons passing through the dermis connect the two.[28] The ring nerves and radial nerves have sensory and motor components and coordinate the starfish's balance and directional systems.[5] The sensory component receives input from the sensory organs while the motor nerves control the tube feet and musculature. The starfish does not have the capacity to plan its actions. If one arm detects an attractive odour, it becomes dominant and temporarily over-rides the other arms to initiate movement towards the prey. The mechanism for this is not fully understood.[28]

I actually suspected that No Man's Sky might suck big time shortly after I joined the hype train for a short while. I mean, they never really hinted at any depth in the game, all they always talked about was how xboxhueg the universe is. And I guess that turned out to actually represent the game. A fitting description I read somewhere: "Wide like the ocean, deep like a kids pool.".

She inconvenienced (((a fine gentleman))).

They assaulted an old lady for having The GALL of defending her rights.
"Took precautions" a shit go live in north korea everyone will agree with you there.

Why does a Weighted Chain only have TN8 when it's a fucking Chain meant for Hooking? It already has Chain 3 and Hook at VL, not like it needs help to be good, and it doesn't gel with me well that it's as easy to use as most two-handed swords apparently

Been away for a while, is the game still on the australian hell?

TN 8 is the "hard to use" TN. TN 9 is "unwieldy as fuck."

There are a few ways I can think of doing it.
1: Use Ballad PCP levels.
2: Allow Luck to be taken as Boons at 5 Points a pop.
3: Give everyone a baseline of 2 Luck and allow extra as Boons at either 5 or a higher cost, (maybe 10 for the first additional and 5 after?)

it's a fucking weighted chain, how is that not unwieldy as fuck? and why is a flammenschwert as hard to use as a weighted chain

Limited numbers. Same reason that Germany couldn't beat Russia before Christmas in WW1

You know it's not the sort of chain you lock up your mom's bicycle right?
It's like the chain in this picture which if you'll notice is small enough if you bundle it up it'll all fit in your enclosed fist

How is that not unwieldy as fuck?

yes I'm sure bundling it up in my fist is going to make it a very effective weapon

>implying implications
Ohanedin aren't that great, what the fuck have you been smoking
They'd get creamed

Dead drunk?

Why would they? They just want to hang out in the hills and occasionally eat people.

Take a length of rope, tie a rock to one end, twirl it around and try to wrap it around a pole. Now take a five foot long, six pound piece of sharpened steel and do some montante drills. Tell me which one is easier.

I'm guessing they would have problems with large field battles as opposed to their usual ambush warfare what with the lack of metal armor and ranged weapons.

Armor is a pretty much hard counter to them.

Yeah but they don't NEED to fight open field battles; they can force everything into guerilla war.

Is it? I thought they could hit hard enough to split metal.

>"Wide like the ocean, deep like a kids pool.".

That's basically every triple-A game, really. It's true of NMS, it's true of Fallout 4, it's true of Skyrim, it's true of Dragon Age: Inquisition, it'll be true of Final Fantasy XV, it'll be true of Battlefield 1, it'll be true of Watch_Dogs 2...

You can't really conquer anyone using guerilla warfare.

They can offer their soul and body up for spiritual raping to add their WIL to the amount of damage they deal, which is pretty nuts, but otherwise all they get is +1 STR for damage.
They have to declare the rape offer before they actually roll for the attack, so the opponent can just decide to put everything he has into defense, which while not exactly assuredly makes him survive, is still probably gonna be enough since Ohanedin don't get WIL boni, so they'll have at most like, 6-8 damage extra. They can't really use two-handed weapons since those usually have mediocre parry TNs and there's no armor to save them if they fail, so the damage won't be horrifying either. Still, it's a shitload of damage (assuming 9 STR, 8 WIL, Power Attacking for maybe 3-4 damage, they'd basically one-shot almost anything they manage to hit just from sheer base damage without including BS)

>mediocre parry TNs
They fatigue void at 6

I don't see how you couldn't. Just invade the other fellow's country and go to ground, make it impossible for him to dislodge you as you slowly cut them apart piece by piece, important asset by important asset, until they surrender.

I don't think it works like that.

Can ya'll stat this? Im quite curious as to what you all think

War cleaner with custom hilt?

Cleaver

Guerrilla warfare more or less explicitly requires the support of the locals, because the war must be protracted in order for you to gradually whittle down your opposition. Obviously the locals aren't going to help a bunch of murderous cannibal elves kill their own soldiers willingly.

The key word being willingly, of course. What Ohanedin generally do when they find themselves in actual wars with their neighbors is different from Guerrilla warfare, being more akin to a chevauchee. They get on their horses (they are exceptionally good horsemen) and they ride into the country, avoiding decisive engagements wherever possible, and simply kill every living thing they find there, and burn everything else. They cannot normally take cities (though a few times they have taken castles by scaling the walls at night or similar treachery) but they can burn great swathes of farmland, depopulate villages, and generally ruin everything that isn't heavily guarded.

Wars with the Ohanedin are gruesome affairs, and if not dealt with effectively can result in famines that last for years, with even the seed-stock having to be handed out from the stores of larger cities and castles. Lagoria's last war with Kartzletan was such a disaster that it very nearly cost them their country--not to the Ohanedin, but to Nisperada, who invaded when they realized how devastated the country was.

Of course, if forced into a decisive confrontation, the Ohanedin are still plenty formidable, but they can be defeated. Lagoria eventually won its war after one such battle, and demanded enormous reparations, which were paid at great expense by the Ohanedin, and included the sum of 100,000 pounds of silver. The eldest daughter of the Prince of Kartzletan, a girl by the name of Arantxa, was sent to the King of Lagoria and swore an oath to serve his family for three generations in exchange for a lowering of the amount from 120,000 pounds. Most of the "silver" was actually paid in the form of cattle.

Hey Jimmy, we ever going to get rules for Myrmidons, those burd mech things? Did we ever get lore on those besides what is in the book?

Fug, I almost got to hold a replica of one of those once, but I never picked it up because the Bat'Leth was cooler.

I imagine it's similar in balance to a falcata, or some other short chopping sword, but it's impossible to say without knowing its other dimensions.

Yes, we're actually working on those now, you'll get something cool sool.

well, to be fair, bundling it up in your fist and punching someone is going to hurt more than just punching them

The game I'm running is set in a sort of 16th century renaissance where black powder is slowly becoming more prevalent as the party travels east. I was thinking of having an enemy with a sort of 'big iron' double-barreled dragon that represents the latest and greatest technology but I'm wondering if that's a little far fetched. Obviously the tech level is whatever I want it to be as GM, but I'm a little frustrated with my inability to pin down the earliest a blunderbus or dragon might've been used.

Also, I've asked before and no one responded: What the fuck is spike ammo?

Kukri? Axe?

khopesh with better hand protection.

Do you have even the most remote concept of what a khopesh looks like?

Weirdly shaped lump of iron that curves stupidly.

Khopesh, klingon sword, what's the difference?

I will find you.

Muurame, Finland, I'm here all year.

It's heartbreaking that world transport is so expensive so no one can settle international beef and go for drinks afterwards.

An early form of flechette.

Spike ammo (i.e., literally shooting steel arrows or harpoons out of handguns) has been depicted in a few medieval tapestries, and some surviving munitions still exist.

To my knowledge they've never been tested before by modern historical reenactors or archeologists, so it's hard to say if they actually work or if they were just for show, or even some sort of primitive bayonets.

> The eldest daughter of the Prince of Kartzletan, a girl by the name of Arantxa, was sent to the King of Lagoria and swore an oath to serve his family for three generations in exchange for a lowering of the amount from 120,000 pounds.

>literally elf princess slave wat do

I'd love to help with the visa stuff.
>Yeah, he is coming to Finland to try and beat me up
>No, not a sports match, this is just Saunan taakse thing

Startup company idea: Beef International. Arrange to fly people who hate each other from across the world to the same location so that they can kick each others' asses on camera, then upload it to a Worldstar equivalent.

It also sets the going rate for elf princesses at 20,000 pounds of silver.

Note, for 3 generations.

One generation of servitude for elf princess wat do is 6,666 pounds of silver.

That'll show that old lady who's boss

No guarantee it's the same house, I bet a lot of people (including meth cooks) have those door mats

Very, very early kind of ammunition that resembles an arrow.

There are plenty of things, especially in the sea, without brains. Humans are not one of those things.

Oh, just reread. I guess I have missed the
>analogous to those of humans
while reading before.

It's very commonly commercially available, so it's probably completely different houses.

My mother has one. The cops probably just thought it was funny.

Is there any great verity to the sort of scenarios could throw at player in the Zulu Wars?

>verity
Variety?

Anything that's possible in a military style campaign.

>he fell for NMS
As soon as I saw that hipster filter looking shit I knew it would be a rip off.

Nah, thats pretty normal, She was probably connected with some murder/bank robbery. judging from the quality of the photo and the the gear, probably a bank robbery in the early 90s.

>iron Khopesh
Nigga you dumb

Out of curiosity, what about that equipment says '90s' to you?

It sure will when they think you are mostly unarmed and you hit them in the face with the weight from VL

I mean whats 800 dollars versus the honor of the great khopesh?

A khopesh of your very own.

Well, they're not in a tank.

Jimmy has commented before that the Not!Spaniards are such fundamentally good people that even lovecraftian horrors avoid their country. She's probably safe.

No. Similar meaning and origin to veracity.

I mean, it's true that Spaniards tend to be good and kind people, but I don't think that's fundamental or inherent so much as cultural, and there is a lot of racism.

....you don't already have one?

>The game I'm running is set in a sort of 16th century renaissance where black powder is slowly becoming more prevalent as the party travels east. I was thinking of having an enemy with a sort of 'big iron' double-barreled dragon that represents the latest and greatest technology but I'm wondering if that's a little far fetched. Obviously the tech level is whatever I want it to be as GM, but I'm a little frustrated with my inability to pin down the earliest a blunderbus or dragon might've been used

Found this on PBS's history detectives (pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/technique/gun-timeline/) though the pic was a thumbnail that doesn't show anything really
>This is an early (ca. 1540) multi-shot, wheel-lock pistol, made for Emperor Charles V. In this weapon, two locks are combined in one mechanism, to give each barrel separate ignition.

So I went searching for Charlie Five's gun and with a little searching I came up with pic related and with this (metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/22387):
>One of the earliest pistols, this firearm was designed and produced by Peter Peck, a maker of watches and guns. The two locks combined in one mechanism provided the barrels with separate ignition. Made for Emperor Charles V (reigned 1519–56), the pistol is decorated with his dynastic and personal emblems: the double-headed eagle and the pillars of Hercules with the Latin motto PLUS ULTRA (More beyond).

Therefore, while not a true dragon, I believe you have historical precedent for a 16th century 'big iron'.

I mean, their culture could be fundamentally decent.
As for the racism, in this case it'd sort of be justified if the only other race nearby were literally cannibal elves.

SoS really sets the bar for unapologetic bastard elves. Gotta give it that.

Or, in real life, gypsies.

Have to say, PLUS ULTRA is really good, as far as mottoes go.

Right up there with EX STERCORE FERRUM DURUM.

I know what verity means, it just doesn't make sense in the context.