How do you like your armor? Don't give me any of that "depends on the setting" crap. How do you actually LIKE it...

How do you like your armor? Don't give me any of that "depends on the setting" crap. How do you actually LIKE it? Ridiculous? Practical? Spikier than a chaos marine at a cactus convention? Bikini armor? Casual?

Protective.

I tend to like it broadly practical looking, but dumb cool stylization is fine. Like, wearing a long cape or scarf that should probably be getting caught in things, or disregarding the obvious utility of wearing a helmet. Still, would usually like at least full torso coverage, is my point.

I like operator shit, which can be a little difficult to pull off in some settings

I like it practical. LIke this guy, he knows he might have to crawl through a hole to escape a trap, and a bunch of greebly bits hanging off his armor will just get him stuck where he'll starve and die.

Start off with a practical suit of armour.
Then add a few personal embellishments.
But add nothing which overly compromises its protection.

as a bard, i like my armor sentient

Overly detailed and fancy. Pic related

Here's another I like. I find the patterns pleasing to the eye

Is that a weird sex thing or do you just like a captive audience?

It quite literally does depend on setting.

Broad strokes though, I do like a certain seriousness to my armor under any embellishment. Though massive armor with heug pauldrons can be fun when it's appropriate.
But no silly gaps or exposed flesh in easy to hit places.

This guy has the right idea. Though I may be biased to that style since I'm playing Dark Souls between shitposting.

Yes.

Practical, but you can go wild on the paint. As long as it isn't shiny, I'd sacrifice stealth for the variety of aesthetic or psychological impact you could get out of it.

Not full covering, both because it doesn't suit adventuring and because it allows more varied styles while still being practical.

Relatively easy to put on and remove. If a character wants to pull off their helmet for a dramatic speech, it shouldn't take 5 minutes of fiddling with clasps. You generally don't have squires to help you put on your armor anyway, so this is just a necessity.

Depends on the character.

Organic

God damn it

Homemade out of junk on the street but made with skill and ingenuity.

Whatever I'm not surrounded by.

I like armor that gives an idea of the wearers theme and personality.

>That's nice armor you got there.
>Thank you, I like owls.

or like pic related
>That's nice armor you got there.
>Thank you, I'm a vampire.

Practical armor that is very slightly stylized. Then with some cloth covering it.

Armor shouldn't exist. There's no reason to play any other D&D class but a wizard (maybe a Druid), and they can't wear meaningful armor. So if armor was just removed entirely, nothing of value would be lost.

Jesus fucking christ.

You are an arrogant individual to believe that our non-wizard brothers hold no value.

Steppe groups such as the Cuman Khanate and slavic tribes had some interesting lamellar armor, the face masks are very interesting too.

Arrogance and self-confidence look the same to the untrained layman.

And I find it hard to believe that a bunch of dumb stick-swinging jocks have any meaningful contributions to make to a competent adventuring party. While they swing sticks and fail at everything else, the people with functional brains can literally rewrite reality and - if for some reason stick swinging is required - can common minions who are better at swinging sticks AND don't require a share of the treasure.

Martials as a concept are laughably obsolete.

>He doesn't play 5e

The bigger the pauldrons are, the better. This is the only axiom that matters.

What about in games run in systems other than D&D 3.#, if hypothetically you were to play one?

Depends on the setting.

I prefer practical, with some concessions to style. Really, it depends less on the setting and more on the character. Absolutely hate it when armor has spiky bits or other such things that stick off of it and would make moving nearly impossible. On the other hand, I adore stylish decorations that don't hamper movement, and capes are cool enough that I like them regardless of their impracticality when attached to armor.

I do make an exception for impractical religious decorations, because items representing sincere and passionate conviction add a LOT to a character. For example, 40k's purity seals, or a cleric with a giant book of scripture hanging at their side.

Everyone in our party is on a mad quest to get all their gear gilded. After buying a bunch of cool stuff with looted gold, we didn't know what to do with all of it, and we can't leave it buried somewhere, so we wear it. Gilded breastplates, gilded vambraces, gilded codpieces; you name it, we put gold on it. We put gold thread in our clothes, we put sheets of hammered gold inside our tunics to act as armor. Everyone's DEX score is complete shit and we're slow as hell, but on the plus side, everyone is now a tank.

Ranger? Tank.

Bard? Tank.

Druid? Tank.

Sorcerer? Tank.

Paladin? So much of a tank he just auto-rolls.

The DM is actually having a surprising amount of fun with this, but I'm pretty sure he's going to start giving us enemies with transmute spells to nullify our gold armor.

Depends on the g e n r e

Compact, and somewhat stylish, with preference to the latter. Robes/cloth over armour are a favourite.

I also love me the fuck out of fur or feather collars/heavy cloaks gathered about the neck and shoulders. Dunno why.

My favorite is non elite armor. So instead or huge plates- things like studded leather, mail, scales, gladiator armors and other silly if not down eight unrealistic armors.

Plate is too OP and monolithic in real life. Let the other armors see the spotlight.

Depends on the aesthetic.
>Battle hardened mercenary
Something simple, pragmatic, and heavily modified. If we are talking medieval maybe some simple lamellar armour or something.
>Some nobleman
Some sort of fancy and probably gaudy armour that is highly detailed and ornate. The suit of armour probably costs enough to equip a hundred lesser soldiers with weapons and armour.

Cloth over armor is stylish as fuck.

Nonexistent, with optional simple chest+head protection for when things get rough.

In fantasy, chestplate + morion; in modern day/futuristic, military-grade body armor + helmet

The kind that makes me look like a a space ninja with OP weapons and god-like magic powers.

>Don't give me any of that "depends on the setting" crap. How do you actually LIKE it?

Depends on the setting. No, really. There's time and place for practical armor, and there's time and place for ridiculous bullshit and i love the shit out of both.

I like the low end of ridiculous. Nowhere near WoW levels, but somewhere around Dark Souls, where it starts at vaguely reasonable and cuts off somewhere around Havel.

How big are we talking?

Mein neger

>Rewrite reality

Woah, buddy.

Practicality first, all else second

My nigga, I love Barlowes art

I like my armor HUEG!

Though really anything from practical with some added style (a la Dark Souls) to Warcraft's Pauldrons of Doom. Just so long as it actually looks like armor that could protect the person wearing it.

Usually the only time armor bothers me is when a character is supposed to be a knight or some shit but they walk around in a pair of epaulets and a chest plate that barely covers the top half of their torso. It's real fucking annoying watching a lot of anime when this is how ~75% of generic fantasy anime like to do their armor.

practical/realistic armor with neet clothes over it.

had many wuxia-style campaigns where the usual equipment was chainmail+enchanted robes over it since most combat action is dex+magic based

This. You can even have armor that's not very protective, because the wearer doesn't care, or is very protective because the wearer likes good armor on top of other traits.

Surcoats, mantles, robes, capes, pelts and the like on top of armor is where it's at

I am Lord McEvil Spikeyskulldick, fifth in the line of the Spikeyskulldicks! I am sure you could not guess that from my appearance.

I found my people

How can the druid wear any of that?

Something lightweight and breathable. Ideally, SLIGHTLY improbable, if only to hammer home that--in a fantasy world--the definition of "practical" changes somewhat.

>practicality first
>posts pic with downward opening segment
I hope you like spears sliding between your plates and killing you.

>practical/realistic armor with neet clothes over it.
Man, i need pictures of this

basicly they all looked like thunderbolt fantasy characters since they completely hid their protective gear

*neat

god damn im tired

Isn't that riding armor, and so actual use would be in a sitting position?

I like my armor hodge-podge, scavenged, and not restricting.

>unprotected plexus
i have been hit with a football in there
i couldnt breathe for a minute

Shoulda gotten your shield up

But user, aren't you supposed to drop your shield?

The armor that little girl is wearing is so cool

Transitional

Snazzy. Nothing too baroque or impratical, but yeah, knight in shiny armor and all that.

>or samurai in elegant yoroi, whatever

Warhammer does the best armour, in my opinion(Empire and Bretonnia particularly). It's a perfect balance of form and function. Realistic, but just flamboyantly ornate.

Extremely detailed while also blending elements from the setting. Woodland gun fights? Pic related

Urban jungle? Layered clothing and power armor

Like this

I like a mix of overly detailed and practical, like these two but with a more "realistic" styling. I guess renaissance ceremonial armor would be the best way to describe it.

And when I draw plate armor, it ALWAYS has to have a plumed helmet. You can't go wrong with a fucking plumed helmet.

80% mundane, 20% fantasy.

Like plate armor and the pauldrons are small bird wings or a birds' head for a motiff.

Mah nigga.

That Renaissance pseudo-greco-roman style is the best shit.

>you don't understand-a, Fabrizzio
>every surface needs-a to have a face!

I fucking love it.

I think too much of fantasy revolves around plate and chain, to the point where scale and lamellar kinds of armor are underrepresented or seen as inferior. So I like to include a lot more scale.

Those helmets are amazing.

I'm as much of a DEUS VULT sperg as the next red blooded Western man, but it's a look I could never get into.

Turnermohan on deviantart. His LotR illustrations are the GOAT.

Thanks, user.

Practical, based off real armor, covered in with clothes or robes.

I aesthetically prefer lamellar or scale to chain and plate.

Asymmetrical.

Though holy fuck does every artist make the same mistake and have the more armored side be the shield side. You take armor AWAY from the shield side since it has the shield to protect it, you add armor TO the weapon side since it strike out from the shield's protection and therefore needs it more. If it's for someone wielding a two-handed weapon then you armor the non-dominate side since it'll be the forward-most one most of the time. This is seriously one of the few pictures of it that gets it right.

I like how Bretonnia does it a lot. Sometimes the fact that they wear a surcoat undermines how protective their armor looks, but usually they wear pretty good armor that in its own way is a bit more functional looking than Empire stuff - which tends to have a bit more in the way of ornate designs on the armor itself, instead of over it.

I like this. Armor on one arm, shield/weapon in the other arm, and lower torso armor of some kind.

Love sword and sandal and gladiator style stuff.

I like to start with normal practical armor and end wearing ridiculous rule of cool stuff with godly power hidden inside

the helmets aren't so practical

Why not? It's just stylized great helms.

With excessive amounts of cloth hanging from it.

Simple, subtle, but still having that rugged badass feel. I like to break out the more fantastical armor on special occasions.

They're great helms with a bit of tournament-style flair. Nothing really wrong with them aside from being overly ornate.

Even if it was fully tournament-style armor, the only problem with that is that it was a bit heavier on the left side.

it gives the enemy a bigger hitbox, so if they strike at the ornaments you head will suffer the impact 2

>not having ablative plating underneath your reactive armor ornaments

They're on a horse, so unless the enemy is tall or using long weapons, they're unlikely to hit the head ornament in melee. Arrows and such I can't really account for, but in-universe Bretonnians get all kinds of blessings anyway.

Besides, aren't there especially tall helmets historically, like the Phrygian helmet?

Dots

Ranging.
I want some guys to look like goddamn mechas they are so heavily armored, and some other guys to be wearing fucking flowy coats, pirate hats, and bandoliers of pistols.

I want them to interact.

> want some guys to look like goddamn mechas they are so heavily armored

Relatively simple, but with some nice flair where it counts. I'm a big fan of moderation in the right places.

>How do you like your armor?
POWERED

That Owl is Superb

The armor on the shield side is less flexible, not less armored you fucking dipshit. In fact it's heavier armor since it doesn't have to concern itself with being as flexible as a weapon arm. The armor is rigid and serves as a dampener so that a mace doesn't break your god damn arm.

If your armor isn't allowing you good flexibility it's shit armor.

>four machineguns

Fuck that must go through ammo fast.