What are your picks for the top 10 MTG cards of 2016 (so far?)

What are your picks for the top 10 MTG cards of 2016 (so far?)

Pic is the card I would pick for #1

in terms of how good they are?

Yes

Technically that's a colorshift, not a brand-new card.

a colorshift can make a card amazing

Imperial recruiter goes off of power.

So how does the colorless mana symbol work? Can it only be paid with colorless mana?

My top 10 would be:

10. Goblin Dark-Dwellers
9. Reality Smasher
8. Eldritch Evolution
7. Sylvan Advocate
6. Liliana, the Last Hope
5. Spell Queller
4 . Nahiri, the Harbinger
3. Prized Amalgam
2. Thought-Knot Seer
1. Recruiter of the Guard

Honorable Mentions: Kozilek's Return, Thing in the Ice, Emrakul the Promised End, Nissa Voice of Zendikar, Reflector Mage, Insolent Neonate, Eldrazi Displacer

>Advocate in the top 10
>No Kalitas

Lolwut?

= Colorless, specifically.
(1) = Generic mana.

If a spell says to pay in its cost, you must pay specifically colorless mana.

If a spell says pay (1) it can be mana of any color or colorless.

Any mana source that produces (1) has been errata'd to produce , but can be spent as generic mana.

Make sense?

OH SHIT IT'S IMPERIAL RECRUITER IN WHITE? Wait is that even good for decks like Imperial Painter can just start running Enlightened Tutor as well?

He asked for top cards not top standard cards.

The fact that you excluded a card played in Vintage, Legacy and Modern over Liliana, the Last Hope makes you a retard.

It doesn't grab Painter moron.

>Painter's servant has a toughness of three

oh you've GOT to be kidding me.

What card played in Legacy, Vintage, and Modern did I exclude?

Eldrazi Displacer.

in no particular order

emrakul
baby jace
recruiter of the guard
sanctum prelate
thought knot
kalitas
languish
reflector mage

Eldritch Evolution looks pretty sweet.

New Emrakul was a dissapointment.

basically, you can pay by tapping ghost quarter, but not a basic mountain

I play Spirits tribal so the top spirits pf the year would be:

1. Spell Queller
2. Rattlechains
3. Mausoleum Wanderer
4. Selfless Spirit
5. Topplegeist
6. Niblis of Frost
7. Bygone Bishop
8. Permeating Mass
9. Spirit of the Hunt
10. Nebelghast Herald

Those

baby jace and languish are from last year tho

You're so wrong it hurts

This, Matter Reshaper, and Reality Smasher are some of my favorite cards in recent years.
I wan to get a set of each of those and Mimic even though I have no deck to run them in, I just love how they look and how they're colorless and how the art extends into the border, these cards give me such a hard-on

This right here is so fucking versatile. I can see it making a splash in plenty of modern tempo lists.

TKS is the clear #1. The only other card that's even up for debate is Recruiter of the Guard, and we have yet to see if that will even live up to the hype.

Creature of the Year: TKS
Instant/Sorc of the Year: Eldritch Evolution
Planeswalker of the Year: Nahiri
Artifact/Enchantment of the Year: Cryptolith Rite (yeah, this hasn't been a good year for enchantments or artifacts, let's hope Kaladesh gives us something...)

>Tempo
>In modern
Such thing does not exist

You forgot land of the year: Westvale Abbey

WoTC stopped printing good artifacts after the format-breaking nightmare that was Batterskull.

Which by the way, makes no sense. Bant Company is the most dominant Standard deck since Caw-Blade, does that mean WoTC should stop printing creatures with good ETB triggers?

>does that mean WoTC should stop printing creatures with good ETB triggers?
It means that CoCo should be banned from standard and never have been made. It's literally the Birthing Pod problem all over again, except instead of "Printing any creature that curves well will make pod stronger" it's "Printing any good three drops makes CoCo more degenerate".

As long as CoCo exists it will get stronger and stronger over time until it chokes all other decks out of any meta. Just think back to call the fucking Variants CoCo had. I saw the classic 4 colour CoCo goodstuff, CoCo elves, CoCo elves splashing red for Rabblemaster and burn, Temur CoCo, Abzan CoCo aggro and tons more I can't remember.
And that was all from just Khans block and origins. Decks were running green JUST TO CAST THIS FUCKING CARD.

I agree with you on TKS and Eldritch Evolution. Yes, you could make an argument for Recruiter of the Guard, Spell Queller, or even Prized Amalgam. But Eldrazis defined an entire format in Modern, revived the Legacy MUD archetype that had been dead for more than a decade, and TKS even found a home in Vintage Shops! That being said, TKS is the clear best creature of 2016 so far, imho.

As for Eldritch Evolution, there really isn't even a debate here. No other Instant or Sorcery released this year even comes close.

However, I disagree on Nahiri. She really doesn't do anything special on her own; without Emmy 1.0, she's just a 4-mana Ob/Unraveler. That being said, I'd have to say the #1 Planeswalker of 2016 is new Liliana.