So one of my DnD characters just came into possession of 4000 slaves of assorted races and genders

So one of my DnD characters just came into possession of 4000 slaves of assorted races and genders.

I'm wondering what would be some fun and non game-breaking things to do with them (freeing them all wouldn't work logistically).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=juE9AQJ3jSA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Seed_(novel)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Make them earn their keep and work a small town until they can afford to own it.

Build and run your own arena. The winners get freedom

Spend your time figuring out the logistics of how to free them all.

We built a town. Mostly with theft, kidnapping and arson against other nearby towns

Exotic People Zoon

Build a town and put them all in it. Have them do nothing sinister or unusual. To most people it just seems like a normal place that's strict against letting anyone new move in. Then you can take someone there and do the thing from the movies where the bad guy reveals that everyone in the building works for him, but on a bigger scale.

Evil campaign?

Chaotic Neutral. I freed all the elves already because I have the logistics to do it, but need to know what to do with the rest.

If I freed them in the place I am now, they will all get re-enslaved immediately.

Also my Drow companion has taken 1000 of them to fight to the death in an arena for her, but these are mine.

Mk, yeah idk. I'd recommend gtfo and place them someplace else unless your character has some kind of construction project.

To be honest that many slaves sounds like a horrible place to be because that's a breeding ground for rebellion and it's hard to keep thousands of people happy.

I'm surprised that they haven't turned on your Drow friend already.

>Help them build their own town or settlement set up in and around a well fortified location
>Set up trade with other towns
>train local militia to defend and enforce a draft of laws written by you
>set up farmland and such
>get them nice and stable and respectable
>get huge discounts for helping them prosper
>get the absolute best training for some of them, so they in turn can train others who wish to fight, so they become feared mercenaries

Loan them out to other people but secretly use them to smuggle drugs and shit to crash the society or start a revolt etc. Just fuck shit up.

Mercenary company? Mercenary company.

If you want to free them.. I would suggest something that was posted above. If you can find a forested area they can start a town.. Work out a claim for the land and set your self up as lord. They can be Slaves in Title alone free to work and run your lands in your stead.

Depends on how long they have been slaves for and what their conditions were. If we are talking about "spiritually and mentally broken" then making them mercs might not be the best idea.

>I'm surprised that they haven't turned on your Drow friend already.
It's not the kind of city they can do that in, they would probably get blown away by wizards who want to keep their own slaves in line as an example.

I did stop her from blood sacrificing a child though, so I guess that's something.

Then chances are you don't want to take them out of the city, they might turn on your ass right quick. Either sell them to someone else or gtfo and set them free somewhere else.

or set them free in the city so they can cause some mayhem while you and the party get some shit done

Brothel?
Whorehouse?
Cathouse?
Just to name a few ideas.

>Cathouse
What is a cathouse?

it's that piece of furniture you spent hundreds of dollars on and is taking up a quarter of you living room but is never touched because the cat prefers the box it came in

youtube.com/watch?v=juE9AQJ3jSA

Setting them free might work, but it doesn't seem like it would cause as much fun and mayhem as other options.

You win, user

Well at that point it's about your character's motivations and objectives.

>freeing them all wouldn't work logistically

>free 4000 slaves in a city filled with slavers
I'm sure they won't just get captured back in 15 seconds.

Move in a place where you can start a small enterprise and gradually release slaves as they earn the money to buy themselves.

Read Octavia Butler's Wild Seed.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Seed_(novel)

tl;dr
Use eugenics to breed them into superhumans.

>move them to places that aren't full of slavers, ideally places that don't allow the practice and have strong protections of freedom
>liberate just a few at a time, reintegrate them into not-slave society, help them find their families, help them build a free community
>settle a free-town or fort, because with so many people you could make a settlement from scratch
>if the government isn't a complete shambles, get them to enforce the former slaves' freedom
>also this

There are options here.

It's not easy, but when you're dealing with that many civilians dropped on your lap with no planning, nothing is. Even organizing them as slaves to do stuff would be hard, especially in a game system that doesn't have good rules this kind of domain-level play.

Also it depends on how the GM thinks that slavery works in this setting. If they're chattel-slaves who are instantly identifiable as freed slaves, and are helpless against slavers who run rampant without regulation as to who they're allowed to capture (i.e. the government is a shambles), then cutting them all loose instantly isn't the best idea. If the setting sees slavery as a transient state from which a person can be liberated and gain good protections, that's a different story.

That sure is a lot of spell components!

yes it would, you have enough money, or at least you should... give them some money to start over and maybe live their lives. .... and maybe seduce one of the hot ones, or two, or three... if the Witcher has thaught me anything than ist that women are always very greatful if you free them or rescue them.

Spend 8 months training them en masse.
You now have an army.

>Peasant railgun.

What are you working with here?

Are they literate, or not, are they enslaved prisoners or have they been bred for slavery? Do they all share a religion, or can you teach them one?

First thing you need to do with 4000 slaves is

1) Assure their feeding supplies
2) Assure their shelter
3) Assure their physical safety
4) Assure their family units
5) Assure they are busy with something
6) Assure they have something to look forward to
7) Assure they remind each other of their own volition who it is they everything to

We had something similar happen in a game. Probably not feasible in your case, but the player responsible hired explorers to find unpopulated new lands, and then went on an exodus with all the slaves to colonize it and make a new nation.

What you described is not chaotic neutral. Your party is fucking evil.

Black Company campaign? Black Company campaign.

Rent them out to do menial work for the least shit masters that you can find on 5 year contracts.

Spend those 5 years looking at maps and traveling the world looking for an uninhabited stretch of coast line or island.

Return after 5 years. Use money they have earned to buy as many ships as needed and supplies needed to set up a colony. Take out loans only if you have to.

Once there teach them how to survive on the island. Once you are sure that the lessons have bean learned declare that they are free.

Freeing them won't work so set up a town of of your own with the promise / written contract of them regaining their freedom in say 5 to 10 years time and them receiving a small house in said town after it's built.
400 people is enough breeding material for a small town and you can be sure to get enough craftsmen by letting a merchants guild invest in your town with promise of them having a monopoly for the next 15-30 years of your rule.

>1000 people will die because of her
>but no le baby!

for fucks sake.

Can you afford to have 4000 slaves though? People eat an awful lot, and you need to keep them somewhere.

What part of this isn't a logistics problem
1) if I release them, they're be recaptured and enslaved again.
2) if I keep them, food and housing will make me broke
3) if I sell them I would need to keep the, for a long time until a buyer who agrees to my terms comes by, which cost me money.
4) to build a town with them would require a city planner and tons of expensive material....

I mean no matter what you lose.

Become king

You keep them, and they carry on doing the work they were before, but you promote see to pay them. The adventures must now earn enough gold in thier adventures to support 4000 families

No one gives a shit user, don't try to start alignment garbage

Honestly, just liquidate them. Announce to group of slaves that skilled labourers, the literate and numerate, and any with military experience in any form will be valued, though still indentured, this may pacify them. But seriously, you're sitting on a plot of capital there.

Fuck yeah

I have always done this asap when acquiring human goods. They're merchandise. I do like the idea of Mercenary company though. Divide them in in 8 groups รก 500 raiders and become the evil villain you've always wanted to be

How the fuck do you guys even manage stuff like this? Like if just ONE of my PCs were given something like this, suddenly that shifts the entire environment of the campaign

Like what do the other PCs do?

Convince you DM to run Tomb of Horrors.

How the fuck is the drow going to manage to march 1000 people to their deaths, but you can't figure out how to walk the rest of them to the next town, give them a gold piece each, and tell them to piss off? If you need more gold, sell any of them that would rather be slaves than getting the gold piece and a new shot at life.

Sell half of them for crossbows (any idiot can use one) pavises, bolts and provisions to feed them. Arm the rest. Congratulations!
You now have a mercenary company.
Take 2000 of them with you to negotiate with the local king about what he'll give you if you fight the BBEG, dragon, evil baron, etc.

The drow is marching them inside a slave city, not a raider infested wasteland.

OK there is so much we need to know before we can give you a useful answer that I have to assume you just like seeing tg talk about slavery, that said.
Do you have the means to feed and house them? If so for how long?
What is the race distribution of the setting? How many of those races are present as slaves and in what number?
Are they with you in person or are they being held by an organisation who will take care of the logistics?
What is the setting?
How on board with being slaves are they?
How convenient would it be to sell them?

So in the end I took out the little girls and made a loli ninja group, the freaks to make a freak show, and the rest to run a town to supply the lolis.

Build a town.

Bonus points if you have the wizard cast Wall of Iron a few hundred times to create the buildings.

Makes you think doesn't it.

We have a lot to be thankful for; clean water, warm shelter, safety from violence.

And last but not least we'll never have to play a game with a baby saving, slave owning, chaotic neutral mess of a character.

Or his edgelord, baby-sacrificing friend

Don't get me wrong OP if you have fun that's A-OK. But don't bother me or my wife's son's board ever again with your lel so random shit ever again.

My character just wanted her friend to be happy.

Work them into loyal slaves. Just because they're slaves doesn't mean they can't be happy slaves. Make it so they don't actually want freedom and are absolutely 100% devoted to you. Free the ones who don't want to work for you. Sure they'll get enslaved immediately, but it will definitely lighten your load.

One could always sell a quarter or a half of them to provide for the rest (whether they remain slaves or are resettled elsewhere).

Sell them all and consider yourself set for fucking life. Do you know how much a good slave cost back in the day? SELL! SELL! SELL! YOU'LL BE RICH!

But that would kind of break the game.

>move them to places that aren't full of slavers

I assume, based on the drow companion and on the PC freeing all elven slaves but not others, that that's the logistical problem. If you can't afford the cashbucks for wagons or food, moving 4000 people at once in a death march tends to cause a lot of them to perish, dude.

Make an army, let they fight so they earn their freedom after a few years of service.

>become slavers for a while
>start a slave army for a while
>run an underground railroad for a while
>build a worldly wonder and establish your civilization in the scheme of history
>pick all the cotton

I'd divide them, immediately, into craftspeople of any sort, able-bodied men without craft skills, and "other" - the elderly, the infirm, the young, women of childbearing years who aren't suited to combat.

Of the non-craftsmen, I would divide them into work and labor battalions - drill them as a series of pike regiments, and make it clear to them that I was seeking their freedom, but needed to do so in a way that protected all of them.

Find a patch of land in the wilderness, have the (let's say) 1500 laborers work on creating the rough layout of a town, and any of the craftspeople working on defenses and homes. I'd set up a small, functioning city - perhaps centered around a mine, or near a useful supply of lumber - and make it clear to all of them that half of the money was going to the upkeep and defense of the town, and half again was going directly to them, to pay off their price. Once they were paid off, they could leave if they wished - or stay, pay off others, women or children or the like.

I would make it clear to them, as the lawful evil paladin that my character is, that I despise slavery, as it shackles the potential of a society. I would make it clear to them that it is only in following the letter of the law regarding slavery, however, that we might overcome it.

During this period of establishment, I would take any of the slaves with military experience, free them instantly, and offer them salary as my training cadre. Those who stayed I would use to train up pike regiments and bow skirmishers, which I would then "rent" to local lords at a price enough to make a dent in their debt. Each of the soldiers would pick a beneficiary within the camp; in the event of their death, the beneficiary would receive both the soldier's full accumulated wealth, and the contractually stipulated weregelt I would demand of the lord.

Eventually, I'm sitting on a community of free soldiers, artisans, and commoners, who think of me as liberator and benefactor.

With this plan functional, I would begin buying more slaves from the local city with the profits and upkeep money, with an eye specifically for able-bodied men or craftspeople, especially those with families who were also enslaved. I would purchase them as time permitted, work them through the system, and place them in our community - probably expanding to several towns in an area.

If under the purvey of a local lord, I would offer said lord a discounted price on the rent of soldiers - though not on weregelt - and endear myself to him. Should he be competent and an amenable ally, I would bolster him, and steer him towards a position of strong neutrality with his neighbors, using my growing army as a deterrent to the machinations of his rivals. Should he be incompetent, or otherwise useless to me, I would see that he was replaced by someone more amenable to my needs.

I would have him, depending on the setting, expand away from the areas of interest of the other lords - perhaps into colonies, which I would furnish with slaves under similar conditions, perhaps into wilderness expansion and resource exploitation. Eventually, I would raise him an army such that none of the other nobles could counter him.

Then, when next there was a moment of political instability, I would urge him to speak as the voice of reason, the strong hand holding the realm together. Depending on how I wanted to play it, I may even have him as a political move declare slavery abhorrent, and to manumit all slaves within his realm - or who could make it to his realm.

Cue slave revolts, a shift in power towards him, my armies crushing those of the nobles who would attack him, and his installment as ruler of the realm.

All of this plan is long-term, and subject to change based on the conditions on the ground. My paladin, as I said, is lawful evil, but not stupid - being adaptable is simply good tactics. The key points are to ingratiate myself to the slaves, and offering them freedom - not in exchange for my own wealth, for I am a person of no small fortune, but rather in exchange for their own labor and drive. Let them build their own futures, and let the banner of a broken chain be their symbol.

Also, of course, to play the local political atmosphere to most effect.

DM's fault for giving you liquid assets. From 3.5, here's the breakdown.

Lords of Madness (in the Neogi section) covers it.

Basic formula: (CR x CR) X 100 gp. (CRs less than 1 are round up to 1).

So, minimum price of a slave is 100 gp.

If the slave has exceptional abilities, price may be multiplied (typically by between 1 and 4). That means that every slave is worth at least 100, that the others might be worth between 400 and 2000, depending on their skills. Let's give an average of 500 gold, and say that one in every four or five has exceptional skills.

That means that you're working with 500*4000. That's two million fucking gold. Go with the plan I gave here
and it's worth even more, long term. You have essentially been given 2,000,000 gp of capital and potential, and how you invest it is the important thing.

capped

Heh. Appreciated. I'd love to play a game like this - I was actually just workshopping this idea for a time travel game, where we were transported to the pre-civil-war south. Instead of "A local resource-rich area," I would move them to "Colorado." Take the fucking plains, while it's still a territory, not a state. Mine the resources, send shit down-river, control the mountain crossing at Denver.

Play the long game
>take them somewhere isolated
>do all the good stuff mentioned previously, build town, trade etc
>take the most attractive and physically able females, fuck them all the time and pump out babies as quick as possible
>isolate these children from other slaves, train them and educate/brainwash them
>over their whole lives teach these children that you are a demigod and that your awesome
>create deathcult, only by dying for you can they prove their worth and find glory
>now you have a raiding army religiously devoted to you
>they die historic on the fury road

Witness.

Right, because Jonestown is a success story.

Jesus christ, people like you are why "Stupid Evil" is an alignment. By all means, take a wife from your slaves - court one, though. Elevate her in status and ask nothing from her but permission. Make many strong children, have them inherit your fortune, but not the slaves; create a hereditary position among the slaves of leader, and entrust them with the continuation of the system, if you cannot see it through to the end.

Bind them to you with the ties of love, and loyalty, and debt. Villainy in the name of Justice is called Heroism - be the Liberator, the Savior, the Chain-breaker.

You would try to make them love you? You short-sighted, ignorant, visionless fool!

Break their chains, and THEY WILL DIE FOR YOU. Make yourself but a man, their friend and brother, their liberator and their hope, and THEY will make of YOU a demigod. They will make you into a legend, and never will there be a voice among them that can say you have mistreated them. Let malcontents leave - take on their debt yourself, and work beside your men to pay it off.

It's like... it's like you don't know how to be evil at all.

bonus points. play an cleric/paladin/ur-priest (if evil) and use that one spell from the book of erotic fantasy that makes all your babies half celestials. what says "physical manifestation of god" like popping out half angel babies with every chick you lay with. not to mention that level adjustment making even your weakest effectively level 3

The difference between a Messiah and a Tyrant is PR. Be THEIR tyrant. Be THEIR ruthless bastard. They will follow you to hell itself to topple its thrones for you.

And in D&D, I am being -quite- literal.

Enjoy your adventurers coming to smash your rape-cult.

People who don't even read the evil overlord list, I fucking tell you.

it's not rape if the women are throwing themselves at you like you're some kind of rockstar

It is if you're taking slaves as wives in a brainwashing death-cult.

God, is it bad if I kind of want to run this as a quest now?

I'm a little worried that Veeky Forums won't be smart with it, but... fuck, I think I'd like to do this.

I'd play it.

I really want to play it.

I only know how to play 'stupid evil'. I like to play good PCs mostly but I admit that I indulge in being dumb evil when playing an evil PC. Its just fun. Its like quick saving in a vidya before laying waste to a town of npcs, its just fun. Lawful Evil is something I would like to sink my teeth into someday and create something interesting and engaging.

But sometimes its just fun to skullfuck everyone with an axe yelling BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, ya no wot I mean m8?

Let me have my Imortan Joe fantasy damn it

>Have them all get in a line facing someone you don't like.

>Tell them all to wait for the bottom of the initiative count, then pass a five kilo weight to the next person in line. The last person just lets go.

>Watch a five kilo weight at 2400 kilometers per hour hit the person you don't like.

After that, I guess I'd just get bored and walk away from them.

I don't think physics works like that.

I guess, as someone who enjoys playing evil (read: motivated by power, self-interested) characters, I'm just as tired of dumb evil as people who play propper paladins are of dumb good. At least you recognize it for you - and yeah, it absolutely can be fun.

To be fair, though, I almost never feel the need to have that kind of let-loose-on-the-npcs moment.

dont shit up tg with more quests

Start a circus.

Because?

Oh, right, because this is retarded 'wat du" thread. Fucking eat bullet. This is the shit we've got after removal of quests - "the quality content" that was promised with creation of /qts/

This

And this

The only issue I've got is the part about mercs. In most cases, people turned into mercs due to extreme poverty, lack of farmland of their own and lack of any other prospects of employment of any kind. So if they settle with nice town and farmland around it, there is little to no point of going merc
Unless you outright establish them as merc company, but that removes the part about settling down.

This
All of it.

It's amazing stuff like this pass as nudget of wisdom and not just common sense on Veeky Forums

>Got enough people to run entire barony from a scratch
>Build town and settle down villages
>WAT DU

Killing yourself should work just fine

What's your alignment?

From what's been said here you seem to be stuck in some giant city with a strong slave trade, which makes leaving with your slaves to do something humanitarian/ambitious like setting up a town that you run pretty much impossible for reasons like land claims by city states/countries, needing food/water/materials to try that and so on.

My suggestion?
Start up a business. Make sure it's providing a product or service that keeps customers coming back time after time and not a one off.
i.e. food and not construction.
Hell if there isn't a taboo in this place about touching/being touched by slaves start up a bathhouse + spa. It's a luxury service that will draw in just about anyone with money, and you won't be working your slaves to death. Also free massages whenever you want.

Literally every quest I'very ever posted in has either made me a better gm or player. I hate how many goddammit warhammer threads there are, and how they're always clogging up the board, BUT I IGNORE IT BECAUSE IT IS OBVIOUSLY RELATED TO TRADITIONAL GAMES.

Why is a hypothetical question, if we DO assume that op isn't actually facing this problem, a bad thing? Right now, I think I'm going to steal that "liberator" LE paladin as my next bbeg.

The main draw for mercs for me is that you've probably got a surplus of military aged men compared to the average population, and communities with that quality usually turn to soldiery to pay the bills.

Do eugenics with them

Just sell them.

You mean, they would have no food, nowhere to go, could be recaptured and so on?
That doesn't bother me. I'm giving them a chance. What will they do with it is up to them. Maybe half of them will be enslaved again. Maybe many will die. I didn't wanted this so they are not my responsibility. I just free them all and don't care anymore whatever happens.

Sell them to separate guilds in one of the city's auctions.

>Your party is fucking evil.
His party seems to be closer to being Good than to being Evil.

>4k people
Mate, that's enough to literally build your own fief and pretty prosperous one. All you need to do is promise them freedom if they will follow all the harships of construction and organising things, then set them free when things are up and running, with granting everyone what they worked for and according to their merit. Don't forget to treat them with utmost dignity and kindness until setting them free.
They will die for you then.