Honest question Veeky Forums: would quarter-elves be genetically possible?

Honest question Veeky Forums: would quarter-elves be genetically possible?

Inb4 "It's fantasy, anything is possible". If an elven race would exist and the resulting offspring between an elf and a human is always a half-elf, would the offspring between a human and a half-elf be a quarter elf?
And for that matter, would three-quarter-elves be possible?

My genetic biology is very rusty, but I'd guess if a human (H/H) and a half-elf (H/E) would breed, you'd get 75% on another (H/H) and 25% chance on (H/E). But I might be an idiot on the subject, it's been a while since I studied this.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoamine_oxidase_A#Warrior_gene
sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140402100056.htm
discovermagazine.com/2013/march/14-interbreeding-neanderthals
lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/26/feeling-like-a-neanderthal-heres-why/
news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/01/140129-neanderthal-genes-genetics-migration-africa-eurasian-science/
foxnews.com/science/2014/01/29/your-inner-neanderthal-fossil-bits-neanderthal-dna.html
researchgate.net/blog/post/human-genome-shaped-by-vegetarian-diet-increases-risk-of-cancer-and-heart-disease
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

All "humanoid" species would genetically be considered "human" by today's modern science, and racial "traits" are just homogenous within "pure" populations.

As for the quarter bit, you seem to be asuming that all the elven traits are single-allele, which is just silly. Partial dominance+multi-allele traits make quarter-elves fully possibly.e

Sure, it's fantasy, anything is possible

Who says their genetics work identically to ours?

Half-elves were a mistake. They add nothing but confusion to any setting. It's just something that Tolkien did and other authors copied without reading Tolkien. Drop the idea entirely, you gain nothing from it.

This depends entirely on what version of elf and what setting.

In D&D, at least old school D&D, the term and race half elf covers any mix of elf and human. Three quarter elves are still half elves, and one quarter elves are either human with a racial heritage feat (if running PF) or half elves depending on looks and whether the player wants one or the other.

Elf covers only pure or nearly pure elves.

Oh hush you. Half elves are a fun and interesting way of bridging two disparate races and building new stories out of it.

>Half elves are a fun and interesting way of bridging two disparate races and building new stories out of it
Yeah, I'm so eager to read another itteration of "cute elf girl was fucked/raped by a human", so interesting. Face it, have-elves are shit and especially damage elves by making them look more like humans with pointy ears.

Yes, but modern science is driven more by political correctness than objective reality.

>Yes, but modern science is driven more by political correctness than objective reality.
Wat.
Please, explain yourself, because I'm fairly sure there is nothing to support that claim.

It's more like the standard made of two races welcome in neither stories but instead of mixes of humans it's with another race. Or about the strange heritage and who or what your parent was. Or several other types of stories my sleep addled brain can't remember at this time.

You're just an imagination less and bitter moron.

>blanket statement about a type of character
>they are shit because of my blanket statement

/v/ plz leave

Idk, best answer I guess would be to look at modern "racial mixing" and note the many differences in skin tone and facial features are possible. Genetics are complex and random.

>You're just an imagination less
You guys first, it's a human male in 95% of the cases anyway getting his elfu.

>bitter moron
I guess years of "elves are only there to be sluts for my human dick and male elves are all gay/don't exist" does that to you.

No, I stand by my point, half-elves add nothing and hurt everyones view on elves. They cheapen elves, make them less special.

What happens on this board and what happened in Tolkien aren't representative of all the stories. And I was speaking specifically of stories that arise from the half elves themselves you fucking moron. Goddamn, learn to fucking read.

Honestly?

No. The problem is reproductive gametes.

You, as a person, receive 23 chromosomes from your mother, and 23 chromosomes from your father. Elves, which obviously have 23 chromosomes, still provide a viable set of chromosomes - 23 whole ones.

Two half-elves breeding give you 23 chromosomes each...but that's 23 chomosomes mixed with elven genes and human genes to begin with. Which obviously amounts to an inequal amount of human and elven genes.

To say this causes trouble would be understating the matter. Most likely, assuming half-elves aren't mules and incapable of havingchildren, any fetus between two half elves would be unviable and miscarry.

The other possibility is you end up with sorcerous bloodlines born of abominable genetic messes.

Race is genetically differentiated. There are markers in each race that literally design them to behave and think in certain manners. This is scientific fact. These markers are actually MORE pronounced than the genetic differences between men and women. But that's not a politically correct stance.

>And I was speaking specifically of stories that arise from the half elves themselves you fucking moron
Nope, I'm not seeing it. But I can talk this down too. Either it's
>"Oh no, I'm oppressed for whatever reason because of my heritage."
Or
>"Oh no, I don't know which race I belong to, woe is me."

All right, at this point you're just trolling.

Those provide a huge foundation for all kinds of stories. Half elves provide another interesting addition to these stories. And there is also other types of stories which don't peddle on something bad about their heritage or its weirdness.

As other posters said, quarter-elves are perfectly possible.

Now, one-third-elves, on the other hand...

That's not how genetics work. Or rather it is, but not at all how complicated things like species or even hair color works.

Only the very simplest genetic genotypes have only two alleles (that's the H or E you used). That's why a Punnet Square is easy in High School but murder for things more advanced than peas.

Some complex things might have. Say, 10+ alleles governing it or more, and multiple types of such. Not just H or E, but also S G and D and s and g (the last two recessive, obviously).

I'll put it this way: if I bang somebody with all the weird traits of an elf in real life, it'll probably be between us on a lot of factors that depend on complex alleles (since we'll both be contributing at least a few dominant ones), while it'll be chance what ones it gets of simple things.

Complex things are often the really fucking important stuff too, which makes sense if you thing about the fact that being born with a very average heart is highly preferable to having a 25% chance to just die.

IF you want to include genetics for quarter elves as a 4 sectuoned punnet square, do the ear shape.

[citation needed]

>I've only seen two stories about half elves
>posts two extremely vague blanket plot concepts that of course they will be popular when talking about mixed race
>thinks a plot concept determines how good a story is

>Half elves provide another interesting addition to these stories
Like?

>This fictional race may only be portrayed in one particular way that I agree with!

If you're that hard-up for ~speshul~ nonhuman creatures, create your own. Then you can strangehold their presentation to your heart's content.

Have you ever wondered why that kind of science is hard to google?

It's because it's politically expedient for it not to be publicly known. So the search terms and wiki stuff is heavily edited and hard to use.

I like to keep track of the linage of my npc's since I can fill the world easy that way, and give players a way to know characters and areas on a deeper level if they want to. Now some strange old man isn't just from nowhere, hes the great grand father of some one else they know ect.

I do not allow quarter elves, The offspring of an elf and a human can be either en elf, a half elf, or a human. And then I filled a few large family trees with elves that all keep records so they know who in the family is a full blooded elf, who isn't and which branches of the family have human and half elf blood, or half ork, I have never seen half dwarves anywhere, so I just consider all pregnancies impossible. might decide to make a mule if it comes up.

The way that i rationalize this is that the people in setting judge based on lifespan, ears, eyes and hair color of the family. A full blooded elf in one family would have green eyes and black hair, just for example. If they had offspring with a full blooded blond hair blue eyes human, and the child came out with black hair but don't green eyes, unless it lives an elf's life span it is half elf. if it came out with blond hair green eyes same thing. if it had both hair ad eyes of the human the family would consider it human from birth until it showed that it had an elf's life span. I only allow full blooded elves to have a longer than human life span. A half elf might get an extra decade but nothing close to a normal elf. The genetics being 50% or 45% or 10% I don't bother with. But I do keep track of i I decided to make the offspring of a human born from at least 1 full elf parent either a half elf or a full blooded elf. So it is more like you have a percentage chance of being born an elf an half elf or a human, or whatever. Elf society largely accepting elves born that way as legitimate elves. Maybe some wizard will try some biology but none had yet. They are to busy working on germ theory.

DEPENDS
ON
THE
SETTING

>Have you ever wondered why that kind of science is hard to google?
Oh /pol/, you and your silly tinfoil.

I don't know. I don't really read any novels these days and most fantasy authors don't usually make half elf protagonists when I used to read them.

And I don't play half elves, but the one from one of the other players in the last campaign I was part of was played quite nicely and was fun to roleplay with.

From a theoretical standpoint, sure, why not? If half is possible, any degree of elven or human heritage seems reasonable.

In a setting I'm cooking up, elves have a more exotic fey appearance, with leafy green or blossoming hair, with barklike skin down their limbs, etc. By comparison, half-elves are like the most common conception of elves, and such genes could retain that appearance for several generations.

Tangentially, the idea of "mule" races is interesting to me. A racial combination that's possible, but cannot yield offspring.

>Degree (only valid online)

Dude race involves a shit ton of variables. Gender is only single specifically because things go to absolute shit when you reproduce with more or less.

If you're looking for a rant to go on against political correctness you should probably go after anthropology or something that is more subjective, because geneticists are kind of really really really blunt for what you'd expect. They try to assign genetic markers for slap ass everything. People LIKE classification and being able to group people.

It wouldn't be politically incorrect to say different population groups have different genotypes, it is however wrong to say those genotypes are so simple as to learn it from your online research.

BTW, you're most likely a cross-breed Irish/English/German/French mutt anyway. (Hint: One of those is from a far far far different time period of Europe, the rest are a weird ass mix mostly coming from Germanic tribes that weren't in Europe until relatively recently).

Guess what, everybody eventually comes from somewhere else and someone else, and people like to have tons of sex

Not /pol/. Publishing shit like that gets you shitcanned nowadays. No joke.

This simple tin headpiece is a lesser replica of the powerful stannum crown. A tin cap feeds on its wearer’s paranoia, granting her a +4 insight bonus on saving throws against mindaffecting effects and divinations that gather information about her. Donning a tin cap saps the mind of the wearer, imposing a –2 penalty to her Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. The increased paranoia causes the wearer to always attempt saving throws, even against harmless effects. Removing the tin cap removes both the benefits and drawbacks until it is donned again.

Why do /x/ and /pol/ require their posters to wear these ridiculous things? I mean the stat debuff is just awful.

>Why do /x/ and /pol/ require their posters to wear these ridiculous things?

Lore reasons

Of course. Bloody lore, always making everything more complicated than it needs to be.

Look up "genetic markers for agressiveness by phenotype."

You will get everything saying genotype and phenotype aren't the same, and absolutely nothing on the study itself. Because it's inconvenient to people to think that phenotype matters.

I come from Scottish and Native American ancestry, I'm well aware of my mutt background, which isn't all white in the slightest. But the fact that you focused on 'you must be white' is why it's politically incorrect to mention that any phenotype has markers for certain behaviors built in.

It's not about race - it's about phenotypical markers for genetic predispositions. Yes, eugenics really is a thing, and it does make a difference, no matter who tells you otherwise. That's why
>modern science is driven more by political correctness than objective reality
is a real thing. Because of people like you, who dismiss hard science in favor of whatever the political agenda of the moment is. .

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoamine_oxidase_A#Warrior_gene

It's a known that people would rather blame something like human behavior on genetics rather than nurture and environment, even though genes have less to do with it than you think. Get your pseudoscience out, please.

>eugenics really is a thing

Of course it is.

I'm glad that you can search google to find stuff to support your claims but so can I. Also who's to say that the scientists you are buying into aren't motivated by their own political agenda of "anti political correctness" or whatever?

>muh pseudoscience

Nice projection fambalamborghini

Daily reminder that whites have Neanderthal DNA in them while other races do not. Thus race literally exists. Just google "whites neanderthal DNA"

And can the effects of this gene be "suppressed" by having a stable environment and/or social training?

>just google

See I always get scared when this is the response for psuedoscience bs.

I take it as a sign that they know whatever we google is gonna be some sketch as fuck website.

Also

>implying I know nearly enough about science and studies to appropriately judge the validity of a study

Either link your citation or shut the fuck up.

As an aside, the differences in height, weight, cognitive capabilities, strength and health differ more greatly between the three pehnotypesn (mongoloid, caucasian, negroid) than between men and women.

And white people are not at the top of those charts - they're the median.

As far as I am personally concerned, the differences between races should be inconsequential, just like they should be for men and women. Fuck science, I want to play games.

Almost every single reputable science publication has admitted that whites do have more Neanderthal DNA. NatGeo comes to mind. Concomittently with saying that "there is no race", ironically.

Of course you didn't even google it and just covered your ears instead faggot.

>LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU FEELS OVER REALS

sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140402100056.htm
discovermagazine.com/2013/march/14-interbreeding-neanderthals
lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/26/feeling-like-a-neanderthal-heres-why/
news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/01/140129-neanderthal-genes-genetics-migration-africa-eurasian-science/
foxnews.com/science/2014/01/29/your-inner-neanderthal-fossil-bits-neanderthal-dna.html

Forgot pic

>Almost every single reputable science publication

And yet you still provide no links.

See what a good contributor does? See what someone who actually wants to argue their point does?

Played you like a goddamn fiddle senpai

So you are a good contributor after all!

Good to hear.

Also unless I'm misreading anyone who isn't from Africa has Neanderthal DNA in them. And I imagine that's going to change as more people across the world keep on fucking.

Depends on what you want. If you want Elves and Humans to be different species you' Half-Elves are all either infertile or incapable of producing viable offspring.
If you want Elves and Humans to be of the same species they're just different races. And any ratio of Human-Elf genes would be possible.
This is retarded, if two creatures can produce viable and fertile offspring they are by definition from the same species.

You're looking for political correctness where it simply isn't, you are stabbing at shadows.
Pic related

Yes - to an extent. It can also be driven to exaggeration by environment and nurture.

Science doesn't care about your political angenda or racial bais or anythign else. The fact that these markers and genes exist at all means that discounting them in oder to blame socialization or lack there of for everything is exactly why science is irrelevant despite what is known. If people would use known understanding of what tendencies a person has to teach them properly, how to deal with those issues they have tendencies towards instead of trying ineffective teaching based on feelings and political agendas alone, we might live in a better world that we wouldn't have to use RPGs to escape from.

Op here, I regret to have made a thread about race on Veeky Forums. I see the errors of my ways.

It's the same problem, everywhere. Trying to group, generalize and standardize everything into a one size fits all so we can ultimately divide everyone up back into tribes, whether it's through teaching, housing or our assumptions of genetics. Maybe people can start breeding or genetically modifying tribalism out of our brains soon.

Because to race realists coughracistscough their scientists are boldly proclaiming the truth that the big bad PC government crushes and covers up. No siree, there isn't any bias here at all. Only truth and Science!

Looking at the wiki link, it seems that every race has some variety of the gene and that black men ( a rather unscientific term for a huge variety of people) had slightly more lesser versions of the gene which is responsible for slightly more aggressive interactions. Most of the time this is manifested by high testosterone, maternal smoking during pregnancy, poverty, dropping out of school, and possessing a low IQ. It can be lessened by good parenting and a better homelife.

Incidentally its also responsible for depression and a wide variety of other disorders of the brain and mind. Also Caucasians have the same types as black men at over 30 percent and white men vastly outnumber black men who possess it. So if we are going to be teaching various races to not be violent, let's start with the white people and see if it works first.

> trying ineffective teaching based on feelings and political agendas alone
> how to deal with those issues they have tendencies towards

But teaching people to handle issues they have tendencies towards is exactly what people are doing and are the political agendas.

I hear yah about the depression and shit. My point was that genes don't mean shit. Living around good people who help you is what makes a person, not their genes.

All of those articles talk about neanderthal DNA affecting lipid breakdowns in the human body, but none of them draw any strong conclusions as to how that affects the human brain, or human psychology.

So unless you have some serious proof that there is a clear correlation between the behaviour of europeans and people from other continents, and their genetic heritage, I wouldn't go jumping to any conclusions either. Lots of shit can affect human behaviour and psychology; genes are just one factor among many.

Well, yeah. Nurture has a huge effect on genetic expression and how its dealt with. And the racists were very clearly leaving out the fact that every race has these genetic markers and that their effects are more wide ranging than they said, and that white people outnumber black men who possess it by sheer population.

It's just the the systemic racism against black men leaves them expressing it more often than white people. So really, both races are just as violent, one just gets shit on more often by our society for it.

Agreed.

Mongoloids have the highest percentage of neaderthal DNA. Negroids have the least.

That tells you half of what you need to know about neanderthal DNA.

Notice their dietary differences too. Mongoloids fare better on a mostly vegetarian diet with minimal meat, while negroids are nearly the opposite. Perhaps more caucasian vegans will kill off the stupid part of the population.

Disagreed.

No, they really aren't. "All races are the same" is not true, it's scientifically false. But that goes against the political agenda; most racists think that 'it makes me better than them' which is also patently false for the exact same science.

Your ignorance is their benefit.

For the sake of a day to day person, yeah it's true. And no it's not because there are people who can shut them down with actual analysis of the evidence aside from half-baked bullshit.

So keep up the good fight.

Caucasian vegans almost always suffer from some sort of severe malnutrition of at least one key nutrient. Those that don't suffer from this suffer mild malnutrition of at least 1 key nutrient. In short you NEED various forms of meat you just don't need as much.

>And I imagine that's going to change as more people across the world keep on fucking.

That's simply genetic osmosis which is meant to happen. However, Africa will remain a continent with less Neanderthal DNA than, say, Asia, and will remain so even after centuries of interbreeding.

Biological race exists, unlike the SJWs want you to believe, but it's not prominent enough to warrant racial supremacy like the stormie normies want you to believe.

>Biological race exists

People are similar enough for me so, yeah not from where I'm sitting.

13.3% of america is black only. This bumps up to just over 14 if you include black and other. About half of that is male. SO about 7% of the US population is black men. 42,632,530 cut in half is just over 21 million.

Non-Hispanic Whites totaled about 197,870,516, or 62.06% of the U.S. population. Men make up just under 50 percent so that comes out to just under 99 million.

36 percent of 99 million is 63 million.

59 percent of 21 million is something I don't have to calculate as the number is already smaller than the total number of white men.

Whites are responsible for more violence in the US than black men. Just by going from the numbers reported from your little warrior gene shit.

I'm nt fighting, I'm really just venting and lamenting that /pol/ is so heavily invested in Veeky Forums now that you literally have to come up with cutting edge science that only shows up in books because it's too controversial for the powers that be of your country to let loose on the internet because of wars that are almost a century past.

You really never appreciate how much information is allowed unspoiled on the American internet without risking jail time for it - until you have to deal with Big Brother's minions.

then why do they manage to commit over a quarter of all crimes?

I bet you would jump on it in an instant if someone posted a -4 strength thread though.

What's amusing is that the difference between men and women is smaller than the differences between mongoloid and negroid.

Entirely different genetic makeups are vastly different between different subspecies than individuals from the same subspecies but with only one different chromosome you say? Shocking, just shocking.

see

Because the police are more focused on harassing black people for supposedly being more criminal instead of focusing on the people who are actually the criminals and vastly outnumber black people.

Police stats must not be looked at without the context of systemic racism. Its been built into the system from the beginning and the police really like fucking with black people as evidenced by recent DOJ investigations into multiple big city police departments.

wut

I'm pretty sure that white people in the US from poor backgrounds still do less crimes than blacks from the same background.

If a turkey is raised by eagles, will it learn to fly?

>I'm really just venting and lamenting that /pol/ is so heavily invested in Veeky Forums now
Yeah, but then you get shit like and >systematic racism
>mfw

Go off your self.

Do you know how hard it is to get funding these days for genetically studies if you aren't being "politically correct" when writing your research thesis?

Fucking Christ they even recently discovered the "warrior gene" AGAIN.

Originally the term reffers to the gene that causes the aquinne noses you usually see Romans portrayed with.

Some libtards decided to Re-use it for a gene recently discovered in a Namibian tribe, said gene literally causes niggas to nog I.e. makes them heavily inclined to stealing and plundering.

When you get to the point of changing scientific terms just to pander to minorities then you'be gone of the deep end.

>So if we are going to be teaching various races to not be violent, let's start with the white people and see if it works first.
We've been doing that for the last fifty years you idiot. Where do you think all the numales came from?

So why don't we just take there kids from them and raise them in reeducation centers? Just stop the problem at the source.

It's Indians who are the most adapted to vegetarian diet and that adaptation has downsides.

>This mutation helps people convert plant fatty acids into important nutrients, including omega-6 arachidonic acid. Arachidonic acid is important for muscle growth and healthy neurological function in humans and is usually contained in meat, eggs and dairy.

>However, arachidonic acid is also known for its pro-inflammatory and pro-blood clotting properties. Today, this genetic mutation can be a problem because omega-6 fats are readily available in an increasing number of foods and oils. Consequently, people with this mutation are retaining higher levels of arachidonic acid in their blood and tissues.

researchgate.net/blog/post/human-genome-shaped-by-vegetarian-diet-increases-risk-of-cancer-and-heart-disease

>/pol/

Go outside and meet people. You'll be pleasantly surprised and probably a little ashamed.

Because that's not how it works. Institutionalizing people makes them crazier c.f. Japanese school suicide rates. Teaching methodology and understanding the cognitive patterns particular peoples use better makes more of a difference. When they bother to take machine shop, black kids outperform white kids consistently because the way they learn is kinesthetic, i.e. learn by doing. Asian kids really are better at book learning than white kids, because their brains are literally wired for symbol-to-concept translation.

False dichotomy fallacy~~

Because that's been proven to cause developmental problems in children and societal problems at large.

East Indians are a mongoloid race. So are Native American, though they have a derivative ancestry.

So I guess African and European honey bees are the same species, right?

More I's = more vegetarian alleles. Basically Indians and Africans wuz kangs and can get more out of plants than crackers. CEU is white americans.

Gujaratis are West Indians and have the vegetarian alleles more commonly than proper East Asians or Bengalis.

Depends. My tribe has MASSIVE health issues if we don't consume red meats and fish. Namely heart, liver, brain, and muscle development issues in children and adults for the later 2. There's even a study happening on the rez if we even need vegetables since all we actually ate if it wasn't meat was berries picked on the go. Hell i knew that when i was in freshman year for highshool football weight training and my shit went nowhere then i stopped eating chicken and ate steak and i bulked so quick i still have stretchmarks and the coach had me tested repeatedly for roids.

>I don't know what I'm talking about!

The issue with mules/hinneys is that they have 63 chromosomes while horses have 64 and donkeys have 62.

Just do half-elves like TES Bretons. They are some mix of man and elf but the exact amount no longer matters. It also does away the "it must be rape!" and snowflake stuff related to half-elves when you just have a region full of human/elf mixed people.

>systemic racism
Please kill yourself.

>I don't agree with your statement
>I can't formulate an argument
>I'm gonna tell you to sudoku

/v/ plz leave

Gilgamesh was 1/3 mortal, 2/3 god. But then, no one who posts on Veeky Forums should be surprised that the first piece of fiction ever discovered was about a Mary Sue. (I know that term is overused to near meaningless, but seriously.)

Obviously the answer can be what you want, but I want to point out that if quarter-elves are a thing in a setting, then it makes sense that there would also be 3/4 elves and humans who only have a tiny bit of elven blood from an ancestor many generations ago. If that doesn't appeal to the person writing the setting, the quickest way out is to say that half-elves are sterile.

Imagining a purely social barrier would be as strong as a biological barrier, segregation and the like, alienates the audience. Most people haven't encountered that sort of xenophobia, most settings' elves and humans aren't that different, and most people know how strong sex drives can be.

Only if they are the same species. If they aren't then, well, interbreeding horses and donkeys can produce mules, but only like 1% of mules are fertile, so applying the same logic, chances of quarter-elves occuring are very low.

How I interpret "half" elves, is that most of them are essentially just humans with some elvish blood. Most half elves in my settings have two other parents that are also of mixed human/elvish blood, descended from a long line of other such folk, with a human&elf pairing somewhere down the line. In this way, "half" elves are almost never truly 50/50 elf/human. This makes sense to me, because after all those humans and elves making half-elves out there, you'd figure they'd become a bit more prevelant. Players are likely to rncounter entire villages of half elves.

>raped..

ever heard of this mysterious thing that people call Love user?? give it try, don't be shy, everyone does it,no harm in it.