Did wizards finnaly un-cuck themselves with conspiracy 2?

Did wizards finnaly un-cuck themselves with conspiracy 2?
>fun draft environment
>needed/good reprints
>New cards that are probably going to see play in eternal formats
>unlimited print run
>MSRP $3.99

Other urls found in this thread:

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/149228247373/i-have-to-say-conspiracy-2-looks-amazing-but
markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/149232707838/re-damnation-are-you-able-to-expound-on-to-why
mtggoldfish.com/articles/how-wizards-manages-its-savings-account
mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/the-rumor-mill/speculation/242027-the-q-and-e-mechanics
web.archive.org/web/20080228045208/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mr289
markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/56993318928/whatever-became-of-the-e-mechanic-that-was-not
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Unless you're a reddit whining about lack of Damnation, yes, yes they have. Big Time.

Will the reprints even affect prices? The good reprints are all mythics, aren't they?

Anyway, might as well have this as Conspiracy: Take the Crown General.
I wanna make a flavorful playlist to listen to while we draft the set with our playgroup. Can anyone recommend anything vaguely renaissance-ish sounding, but not too 100% authentic? Best I got so far was the OST to the TV show Da Vinci's Demons, which is fittingly about as close to the historical template as Paliano is. The soundtrack to Assassin's Creed 2 works fine too, but not spectacularly so. Anyone know anything else?

>Unlimited print run

Nah man. Ghostly Prison, Beast Within, Inquisition of Kozilek, Serum Visions, Birds of Paradise, Burgeoning, Phyrexian Arena, are all cards that could use some cheapening.
Also show and tell and berserk haven't been normally reprinted in like forever so now with this unlimited print run set, prices should at least become reasonable.

Yes, and no.

On the one hand, it has what is probably the correct number of reprints and the print run to actually change the price of them. (Looking at you Inquisition) A seemingly fun draft environment and somewhat decent flavor.

On the other hand, one set does not a pattern make. It could be a trend of giving the slightest amount of fuck to the players instead of collectors and the secondary market. Or, it could be the pearl in the ever-growing sea of crap.

At least it's a step in the right direction. We'll have to wait and see if it sticks.

Unlimited print run with reprints of cards that were last printed 10+ years ago. The amount of Berserks and Show and Tells in the wild will more than double.

The way to make one set into a trend is to buy the fuck out of it and make it be seen that you're playing it and having fun.

Berserk's price had been slashed in half last time I saw it.

This card seems like it could be strong, but also fun at the same time in a Commander game.

Wait, why would wizards print fun but strong cards?

Flood @wizards_magic with praise and pictures of playing it. Show them that the playerbase wants this.

I bought the fuck out of the Mono Color commanders and I'm still waiting for more pre mending characters to get cards :(

It's a significant step in the right direction and a powerful signal to hoarders or speculators.

My pessimistic evaluation is that the value cards have been included to negate the uselessness of the set's cards outside of draft.

>Eternal Masters is hyped up
>it's garbage

>Conspiracy 2 isn't really hyped
>it's full of value

Bravo, Wizards

They're printing value cards because otherwise a paper-only product can't sell enough product to be profitable.

Remember that the majority of Magic is sold through MTGO.

>>unlimited print run
Really? Awesome. Do they still print Conspiracy 1 boxes too?

>Show and Tell a few days ago
>$55-$60
>Show and Tell today
>$30-$40

And remember that this is just on the announcement, the cards haven't even entered the market yet.

Dunno, but me and a friend found some a while ago still being sold for msrp a lgs

>TFW Damnation will never be reprinted

MMA sold out ridiculously fast and MM15 was terrible.

Well, it already happpens in standard legal sets. You have lots of bombs or junk combat tricks that can mostly be only played in limited or casual first decks. The difference here is the later, that can be somewhat important. But I do prefer these draft matters cards because at least they can turn a mostly individual part of the game (drafting) into a fun social plays.

Well, considering just this year we've gotten EMA and we're gonna get Conspiracy 2.0 and new Commander decks, I think that Wizards is taking note of their customer base looking for products outside of Standard.

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/149228247373/i-have-to-say-conspiracy-2-looks-amazing-but

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/149232707838/re-damnation-are-you-able-to-expound-on-to-why

The problem with Damnation is Planar Chaos. Lots of cards of that set were only one shot fun cards, sometimes they get reprinted because they are: 1) strictly better or color shifted into the right color 2) strictly worse or color shifted into a color that made it worse. But Damnation is just a color swap from a very iconic card. It has the same mana cost sans color, the same wording and even the same art.

The best shot to reprint it should be FtV: board wipes, but they instead put WoG that should be on Theros, but because it was 'to strong to standard', they made a dancing around the cards and it got place on a judge promo.

Now, sadly, I think it will be in MM3 at Mythic because the trend shows it is what WoTC wants. And their excuse will be 'it is at Mythic because it would warp Limited otherwise'.

Where did you get that inside knowledge?

It isn't inside knowledge, more like a fanfiction from myself linking infos provided and brainstorming from the community.

Some time ago someone said (need to get the source) that a card was swapped on FtV: Annihilation for Decree of Annihilation. From the numbering, it was between Children of Alara and Firespout and people deduced it could be Damnation.

Normally I agree that reddit is a bunch of fucking faggots, but they are correct to be angry about this.

Maro is throwing out non-answers and excuses just so he doesn't get called out on the fact that Wizards (aka Hasbro) are using hyped up cards to sell sets, when they would otherwise be complete trash. It happened with EM and Jace, it happened with BFZ and expedition fetches, and it'll happen again with whatever else set they need to hype up and sell when they finally include Damnation @ mythic for no other reason other than greed.

mtggoldfish.com/articles/how-wizards-manages-its-savings-account

Wizards, Hasbro, and Maro especially, have turned into Blizzard Entertainment, where they see their game as just another cash cow to exploited idiotic as fuck "gamers" (whom I also blame for being willing sheep for buying this shit year after year). They gouge "gamers" for as much money as possible using marketing hype and cheap tricks to entice people to buy their overrated garbage sets, because they know they are out of creative space for the game now, and they are running on pure name and popularity only at this point.

>Damnation is just a color swap from a very iconic card.
It's a very fucking nice color swap, though.

So... pic related have static abilities that read like trigger abilities, which the rules manager has publicly stated are linked abilities (despite not explicitly not obeying most of the linked ability rules). They also operate at a point in the game the rules don't address. And simultaneously revealing multiple copies is implicitly allowed but not handled by the rules.
Anyone else looking forward to the CR update more than the spoilers?

They're a high-up in SCG, so one of the non-disclosable details of the Reserved List entitles them to insider information.

>color shifted into the right color
Like which?

I'm a purist in terms of this card. I will rant about it a little.

For me, the balance between White and Black should be this: White gets conditional pinpoint removal, while Black gets somewhat more general and destructive. For Board Wipes, the roles change. White should get more general resets buttons and Black should get the conditional ones.

This is really making me want to build a Conspiracy cube

But I have no idea how to build a cube

I must learn

More than a few abilities did *stay* shifted.

I was thinking of Malach of the Dawn (Regeneration on White instead of Blue) and Prodigal Pyromancer (Ping in Red instead of Blue).

... It's a name based linked ability.

... I'm reminded of yu-gi-oh use of similar tech to limit activations of cards to one copy per turn.

Funny that the mana system makes WotC use of name tracking for abilities more permissive then a restriction.

>Caller is a draft-centric Prototype Portal
That's actually super fucking cool

Maro specifically said they use hyped cards and rare lands to sell packs.

>... It's a name based linked ability.
Not how linked abilities work bub.

>There will never be another Time Spiral-esque block in your lifetime

This argument is really not much of an argument when they printed End Hostilities and Crux of Fate on the same block.
They recognize wraths are on black and while they prefer -X/-X wraths in black so that they can kill indestructible creatures, Damnation is not a breach of the color pie either pre or post NWO and they're just saving it because it's expensive and we want it a lot.

They're giving us exactly what we asked for, more reprints. People won't be happy until wizards releases duel deck Tarmogoyf vs. Volcanic Island.

One of the things that's worth pointing out every time someone asks "Where's Damnation?", first ask "Where's Wrath of God?". The fact they haven't printed Wrath in playable supplemental sets other than Commander 2013 is somewhat telling. They just outright don't like printing 4 mana board wipes anymore, much less the blatantly offcolor Damnation. If a set needed a 4 mana board wipe, priority will not go to Damnation, it'll probably be Day of Judgment before anything else, then Wrath, then probably fucking Supreme Verdict, etc. Damnation is pretty far back in line for this kind of thing, and it's a line that's not even being called on anymore.

I want a Conspiracy 3 that is set on Dominaria in the process of being rebuilt. In the power vacuum many forces try to become rulers. Including Bolas.

this is what people dont understand about reprints

it will make the card more available to people, but the price will stay the same (or even go up)

stores dont care about the reprint, players arnt gonna devalue their card. Oh are more people interested in modern after these reprints? Well if their looking for serum visions ill increase the value.

MTG isnt like a realistic market, the players and shops pick whats expensive and what isnt. Thats why a deck with garbage cards doing anything ever will make the decks price increase about 100 dollars. There is an artificial barrier for entry in magic that elitist players who control the value want to keep. The more players with solid cards decreases the value of magic cards as a whole.

>markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/149228247373/i-have-to-say-conspiracy-2-looks-amazing-but
>"It took me fourteen years to bring back poison to Magic. It took me a similar amount of time to get a mechanic you will all see in Kaladesh to print."

What would be so bad as poison to take that long to get printed?

Yes, I have the same issue with it. Although they could argue the bump from 4 to 5 CMC on both cards as they stated they don't want 4 CMC wraths.

So you're okay with having absolute trash sets like BFZ, just because "oh it has a shiny reprint or two!!"?

The integrity of this game died a long time ago because of faggots like you. Now I just see a bunch of manchildren who need to chase the next rare or reprint to make a quick buck or play in the next "le epic" SCG tournament.

Go fuck yourselves. What happened to playing a game as a game, and not an investment/money-machine?

What mechanics were made in 2002?

Some Info:

mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/the-rumor-mill/speculation/242027-the-q-and-e-mechanics

web.archive.org/web/20080228045208/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mr289

But I play only Draft. I don't care about reprints, user. Stop projecting.

He didn't say Kaladesh will be bringing back a mechanic, just that this is a mechanic he's been trying to get printed for 14 years.

Threshold?

Its just a keyword relating to artifacts (this mechanism requires an artifact sac to "make" it so we will make a keyword or symbol)

screencap this shit

inb4 it is better implementation but practically identical idea of Fortify.

>>"It took me fourteen years to bring back poison to Magic.
Nope, the man has been poisoning it consistently on annual basis.

Contraptions and Riggers?

oh god, he could mean modular
it's an artifact set afterall

maro confirmed contraptions are not in kaladesh

didnt mention if he meant the block or the set.

>modular

Threshold was revisted during Shadows Over Innistrad's design phase, and replaced with Delirium. The chances of Threshold coming back now that R&D has Delirium in their pocket is practically none.

cost effective 'destroy all' belongs to White, the color of Order/Balance/Ignoring the Individual in order to bring the Whole to an equal playing field

Black, being the embodiment of Selfish Ambition, has access to such effects but doesn't get them at such an aggressive cost, sans Planar Chaos when the Pie was intentionally inverted

better yet Affinity

This. Besides, Delirium is easier to hit than Threshhold. In the right environment, you just need two cards to activate Delirium.

modular isn't problematic at all unless the set is full of artifact or ravager/clamp are in there.

fits nicely with the curren't creature powerlevels, could even try to do it unrestricted by artifacts.

>Wait, why would wizards print fun but strong cards?

Money.

I have three show and tells, I'm not even going to check out how much money I've lost by reprinting.

Shit like this is what I mean. A three card cycle of past present and future, cards that will have an effect later, cards that give you an affect now at the cost of mana or the game in the future, creatures that only exist for a moment before fading from existence, creatures stuck "in-between" time, only able to kill and be killed by those stuck as well, the list goes on.

Apparently this will be the dirección they will follow now on. Just don't expect tarmogoyfs at rare

Tarkir block didn't count?

It's got morph and time travel.

Time Spiral block was a mix and match with mechanics. There wasn't a restriction of complexity, it was just a bunch of design threw together. No guide maps or themes for Limited, just build your own deck.

Time Spiral's aesthetic was nostalgia, not time travel.
Every card had at least one blatant reference to older cards, usually two.

But the reason people liked it was for it's complexity.

The design goal went something along the lines of:
>tournament attendance is proportional to sales -> tournament goers like complexity -> how much can we raise complexity?
Sales plummeted and we got NWO, but tournament attendance did set record highs.

Silly Wizards, just print the 6th color of mana to up complexity!

Purple was almost a color and Cities were almost a basic land.
They got cut from Planar Chaos for not actually having any new mechanics.

They almost did, but the problem was that Purple didn't actually increase complexity, it had to take mechanical shares from other colors. It wouldn't have really changed anything.

Instead now we have ◇.

> Damnation doesn't fit in commander or FTV annihilation

Damn Maro you dumb

>>really believes that a limited set doesn't have archetypes.

Oh you.

Yes, I madness.

>Cities were almost a basic land.

Purple was going to be Cave.

>Instead now we have ◇.
Which takes mechanical shit other colors have already done and puts it on cheapass fatties.

So, worse than what purple would have done.

I think they overreacted to Time Spirals sales failure

You only get a price bounce on the limited print sets because it gives one copy to a bunch of people who have zero copies, making them want 4 copies with no way to get them. In an unlimited print set prices get crushed because the packs are cheaper and they can continue to be bought in hopes of getting the playset for cheap.

The consumer calculus with the Masters sets is 'I just got a tarmogoyph, now I can only buy tarmogoyphs secondary' where as with conspiracy its 'I just got a berserk, for the price of another berserk I could buy another box instead of just a berserk' based on the pre print price.

The easy example to look at is the last conspiracy set. The only things that held value in that were Council's Judgement and Dack. High profile reprints of Stifle and Misdirection DESTROYED the value of those cards. There was probably a more than 1000% increase of the amount of those cards that existed. THAT is what crushes prices. An unlimited print run. Not a limited time only set.

What I wanted to say was something along the lines 'no clan or factions, or two color pairs', just the cards. You just figured it by yourself, not playing by X faction way.

Do you have numbers on their sales during that time?

>What mechanics were made in 2002?

It's "Mechanic E", an unknown mechanic MaRo wanted to do back around Mirrordin but couldn't.

>Instead now we have ◇.
Just give Phyrexians another set or two and you're gonna have

It was the one-two punch of Time Spiral and Lorwyn. Time Spiral was complexity in drafting, complexity in hand, and complexity in mechanics. Lorwyn was complexity on the board, covering everything in invisible +1/+1s, any number of different tokens, counters, tribal interactions and the addition of Planeswalkers.

Both sets made Magic seem incredibly daunting to new players. Introduction and retention dropped massively for a while there. If it had just been Time Spiral, I think they might have almost gotten away with it, but Lorwyn pushed it too far.

Eldrazi are never going to canonically fight Phyrexia
DOESN'T MEAN THEY CAN'T DUKE IT OUT IN A DUEL DECK

Could you exile the first with the second to get a body and a spell?

There's been a lot of speculation and a common suspicion is that "E" was colorless non-artifact spells. MaRo gave a hint, saying that the effect had been featured in one design already, which would've been Ghostfire. If that's the case, we've already been there and done that.

And what exactly would have purple done?

"Artifice Instant" or something?

Devoid.

It wouldn't have to be Devoid, they could just not cost colored mana.

Well, we already got those too.

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/56993318928/whatever-became-of-the-e-mechanic-that-was-not

The Renaissance lasted quite a while, some scholars believe it lasted up until Newton's time, where more modern ideals took a foothold. Hopefully this helps you expand your horizons (I can't recommend any music sadly)

My bet for Mechanic E would be: Red based related in artifacts and similar to Kaldra cards. Maybe DFC could be used in the same way Meld is being used.

Conspiracy 2 is the real EMA

Wizards is playing 12d hyperchess with its collectors

What was even the point of EMA?

Force of Will and Karakas lottery?

I'm still hoping for a "if you've been the monarch for x turns in a row, you win the game" enchantment.