Do you consider yourself a "gamer"? Is your hobby a part of your identity, or just something you happen to enjoy?

Do you consider yourself a "gamer"? Is your hobby a part of your identity, or just something you happen to enjoy?

I'd say I'm a gamer, yes. Considering how the label is commonly used it aligns with my interests and how I enjoy spending my time and resources. It's by far from the only label I'd apply to myself, and isn't the dominant one, but it's a large enough part of my life that I'd consider it appropriate.

>Do you consider yourself a "gamer"?

No? I love tabletop games, but in terms of what defines me I'm definitely a teacher before I'm a "gamer." I imagine that's the same for most people with actual jobs.

You call that a smug? I'll show you a smug.

Also no, my identity is defined mostly by career path, social status and philosophical views. Pastimes are just pastimes. Veeky Forums included.

Identity is just a label one applies to oneself

Release yourself from the chains of self-definition; become nameless and free

Yeah.

No, I only get to play sometimes and I don't vidya that much (which that label is usually applied to). Labels I mostly use/hear describing me are Husband, Father, (Software) Developer, Catholic.

Labels can be useful as shorthand, but yeah, this.

It's not part of my identity, but I do say I'm a "gamer", just because that means that I put a lot of time in the hobby.
I even accept the label nerd for fun.

Subtle smug is better than over the top smug
also sauce

"Gamer" sounds like it just means "one who games." If so, then yeah. It's factually accurate that I play games as a hobby. That said, while I would say that the hobby itself is important to me (as it's something I spend a lot of my free time doing), being recognized as "a gamer" as some kind of mark of prestige isn't important to me.

Am I making sense here?

That's not smug at all.

I am myself, I play games, but this does not make me a "gamer", I wank, but this does not make me a "wanker".

"Muh Identity" is just a noise people make when they want to tell you they think they're special.

And they are, because everybody is.

Why would I want to identify as anything? I am who I am.

yes but.... i try to not let it define me. there are many more aspects to my personality and background than this.

OP are you insecure or something?

No. Or maybe yes. I do game, and it holds much of my hobby interest, but it's not the totality of my interest, and neither do I consider myself a candidate for the title considering the kinds of people who call themselves games.

My interest in Veeky Forums and game theory in general is partly shaped by my personal philosophies and a good deal because it's fun and presents an intellectual, strategic, and artistic challenge to me, which I enjoy.

>Is your hobby a part of your identity, or just something you happen to enjoy?

I suppose in that regard it is both; something I happen to enjoy for the playing and hobby aspects, and something that does form a part of my identity. More like it presents a perfect and enjoyable outlet for my skillset and philosophy as an artist. So I guess I'm an artist first, and gaming is secondary, informing the first question with the response that I consider myself a sculptor first and foremost.

Labels can also be applied externally. One doesn't have full control of those because they involve the perception of others rather than the perception of the self.

And true freedom would involve the adopting of labels on whims, taking identity into one's own hands rather than the chains of slavery or the abstinence of identity. To take on labels, identities, and titles as one wear cloaks, collecting and casting off according to the internal motivations of the actor within. To be both true and untrue to an identity; to become an actor while also remaining true to the self as so much more.

>2016
>There are still guys that fap

Your hobby is always a part of your identity. It's fucking retarded to think otherwise. Everything that you do, everything that you like or dislike, everything that even remotely affects you make up your identity.

Your hobby is a significant part of all of that.

Not him, but it's Yupiel-sama no Geboku.
A modern classic if ever there was one. It's on the panda.

>one hobby

Never let your hobbies become your identity.

yes, I sexually identify as a d20 (male)

Pls sause

eh. I still call myself a gamer even with a fulltime job now. It was my main hobby in my youth and for a long time the only friends i had where my gaming circle.

The biggest change too my self identity has been having kids. but even then I'd call myself a gamer-dad.

You are like little babby

Basically this, but less pretentious. Anyone who has an "identity" or thinks that shit is important needs to be bashed in the head with a rock.

If you are serious, you need to be something worse than bashed in the head with a rock.

Did somebody say smug?

Anyway, I play games but I don't really consider myself a gamer. I don't even really see it as a hobby. It's just entertainment, not something I'm invested in.

Better smug
Better goddess too

No, Im mtg player.

ty user

Anyone that has an "identity" such as gamer/feminist/woman/faggot are the very reason the world is what it is.

No.
I consider myself.
Why should I willingly let something define me?

Let us shift this thread into MAXIMUM OVERSMUG

No, I don't feel that my hobbies define my identity. It's just a fun thing I do.

wtf does identity mean

i am me.

Like you take Veeky Forums games and makes it part of how you present yourself to other people.

>I'm user and I'm a traditional gamer as you can see by my traditional d20 gamer facial tattoo, my Warhammer 40,000 bootleg t-shirt of the Emperor t-baging Horus and my Magic the Gathering cockring
>traditional games is just not a hobby
>it's a lifestyle
>you gotta live it, you gotta know it
>otherwise you're just a poser

>my traditional d20 gamer facial tattoo, my Warhammer 40,000 bootleg t-shirt of the Emperor t-baging Horus and my Magic the Gathering cockring
You don't even have a dragon dildo, faker.

You can't see the dragon dildo because it's concealed carry. ;^)

she is a literal loli Cain.

I self identify as "captain planet villain"

>Everybody is special.
Fucking autistic SJWs think freedom of speech applies to them now? Freedom of speech is for humans, you little rat.

Not really.

The term 'gamer' makes me think of vidya rather than ttrpg.

Liking tabletop isn't an essential part of my identity.

Actually free speech is for americans.

Do you want to be known as the gay dude? Or the special trisexual Demi-dog astral-kin?

Same thing for gaming. Games are part of you but not you.

Who am I? 24601

I'd say I'm a gamer, yeah. Sure, I have a full time job and a career path I'm on, but tabletop gaming as a whole has shaped a lot of my life. Not so much the games I played, but the experiences I had with the people I played with.

My group of friends that I have now grew together out a combination of guys and girls I played tabletop with in highschool and college. Tabletop games helped me with my hobby of writing and helped me learn to speak better in front of other people (I got stuck with being GM a lot). If something has a big enough impact upon your life, of course it's part of your identity. I'd be a bit different if I had lived life without tabletop games.

>And true freedom would involve the adopting of labels on whims, taking identity into one's own hands rather than the chains of slavery or the abstinence of identity. To take on labels, identities, and titles as one wear cloaks, collecting and casting off according to the internal motivations of the actor within. To be both true and untrue to an identity; to become an actor while also remaining true to the self as so much more.
These are not identities, these are roles. You speak as one seeking to master the art of roleplay. The imagination can conjure many images: a powerful wizard, a battle-hardened warrior, a crafty thief, or a little girl. All these things and more can a master of the art of roleplay be if so he wishes.

Is "roleplayer", then, an identity? No! It is the opposite of an identity. A prism splits white light into a beautiful rainbow of colors. However, just as "roleplayer" is neither an identity nor even a role, the prism itself does not have color: if it were to have color, it would limit the range of colors that could shine through it.

Look at the clouds in the sky. See shapes and images in them that are not clouds. Look at the ink on the page. See the ink describe things that are not ink, just as the clouds appear to be things that are not clouds.

A cloud and the shape it resembles are fundamentally different things. One is a physical thing, the other is but an abstract idea in the human mind. Many people are deeply concerned about their identity, the fundamental nature of their being. Yet the identity they create is no more real than the things one sees in the clouds in the clouds in the sky, or the stories one reads on the page. Put your own flawed and skewed self-image from your mind, and play the abstract roles that are no more real, but far less consequential than this thing we call "identity".

I am a gamer in the sense that I play video games and traditional games on a regular basis and have invested significant money and time in those hobbies. I would also say that the hobbies are part of my identity because I first got into them during my formative years and so they are tied in some way to my development as an individual. I wouldn't normally use the label when interacting with strangers though because I don't want to tie myself to other peoples prejudices one way or the other until we know each-other better.

The one who lives? Or one of the other guys?