What PC races would you consider required for a D&D setting based on mythical Greece?

What PC races would you consider required for a D&D setting based on mythical Greece?

Other urls found in this thread:

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4238138
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Satyr men

Humans, Satyrs, maybe Nymphs, Myrmidons and Dragon's Teeth Warriors.

Player races? Human only, maybe part-god.

Let the monsters be weird and cryptic, while humans are the reasonable familiar ones.

Centaurs.
Cyclops.
Humans
Satyrs.
Demi-Gods.
Nymphs.

Iliad and Odyssey are both good sources. Make sure you force your players to fight a river.

Humans, exclusively.

Though, I imagine all the players would either be graced by the gods, part god, part monster, or some other mystical background.

Only human, all other things were out to kill humans and ransack their towns and women.

Unless, of course, you're just saying you want to run a Greek setting and you really just want to run a regular game with Greek wallpaper, in which case centaurs are nice.

That's not even remotely true. Nymphs worked closely with humans.
Satyrs were common.
Centaurs could be cock bags.
Cyclops were mostly cock bags.

The cyclops also made the weapons of the gods though, so there's the possibility of them being nice.

How's about some art too?

Yeah, but the Greek Gods aren't really "good" in the traditional sense. Outside of Hephaestus.

TITANS!

I just mean that those with the favour of the gods might find the cyclops more helpful then dangerous.

>Outside of Hephaestus
Hephaestus was a rapist, user. He tried to rape Athena.

That was retconned. Its not canon and you know it.

He's a cripple, a rapist, and a cuckold consumed by petty jealousy. Face facts.

>Cuckold
He fucked Athena and Ares up when he caught them though, so that doesn't apply
>Cripple
Well yeah, but it was protecting Hera when it happened, so it goes in the good column.
>Rapist
Never happened fuccboi.
As Greek gods go, he's pretty nice of a guy.

Why not Bactria?
You'd get to stick your fingers in every pie from Greco-Buddhism to Zoroastrianism to Han dynasty clusterfuck to Islam

>He fucked Athena and Ares up when he caught them
Aphrodite, and Ares wasn't Aphrodite's only lover. Ares still tapped that and left the kids for Captain Cuckold to raise.

>Well yeah, but it was protecting Hera when it happened
His deformity was the reason Hera threw him off Mount Olympus.

>Never happened fuccboi.
Yes it did.

Haephastus was a loser ranked second best next to Athena on everything he was meant to be great at, except tinkering in his shed. He was the Ancient Greek God of Beta-Males.

>Aphrodite
Yeah, you know what I meant. Same thing.
>Captain Cuckold
Okay, alright. I'll cede you he's a minor cuck.
>When Hera threw him
Its not canonnnn reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
>Yes it did
Literally Homer takes it back tho.

>all other things were out to kill humans and ransack their towns and women
Achilles was trained by the centuar equivalent of Drizzt

>He fucked Athena and Ares up when he caught them though, so that doesn't apply
The gods on mt olympus laughed at him when he presented Aphrodite and Ares to them for punishment

>He fucked Athena and Ares up when he caught them though, so that doesn't apply

Aphrodite, and catching the two didn't unfuck his wife who constantly dissed him anyway.

Still 100% cuck.

Monkey men.

Best myth.

>"Come and see how Aphrodite has dishonoured me with Ares!"
>Gods look
>"Tell me, Poseidon, would you swap places with Ares here if it meant you got to be banging Aphrodite?"
>"Of course, Hermes. Because I would be trapped... in bed with Aphrodite."

This guy knows what's up

Hercules as a bodhivista

I mean heracles as a bodhisattva

I have the wrong cultures myths and can't spell

I bet Hades is the only one who didn't laugh. I bet he just felt sorry for him. He knew that Heph didn't think this through.

'Cause that's kinda guy that Hades is.

Persephone was on the floor dying though, and in tears. She probably laughed the hardest.

Hades was actuality a really cool dude, and sorely misunderstood. That myth about him raping Persephone is a miss-translation, Greek "rapere" means to abduct, which is a reference to a Greek tradition of the husband stealing the bride with the fathers permission. Not to mention he was completely faithful to her though out the mythos.

Would Hades even have been there? I'm not an expert on Greek mythology but wasn't he already in the underworld by this point?

I don't think he was stuck there. The Earth, originally Gaia's domain was split evenly between Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades. It's not like he wouldn't have been allowed to come to Olympus.
Hang out, play cards, visit senpai, watch Zeus drunkenly turn into a gazelle and fuck a mortal.

You know, Greek God shit.

>Hephaestus was a rapist

You mean an ATTEMPTED rapist.

>trying to rape a war goddess

Greek myth was very fluid and as far as I know did not have a universal canon (weird to use this in its actual religious context). Individual cults may have had a more concrete view of the universe, but Hellenic religion seemed adaptable.

>Mythical greece
>Bactria
Two completely different eras, bro.

Our understanding of Greek mythology comes from a few preserved plays or poems, which often contradict each other, suggesting that the authors changed things around to tell a better story or because it sounded better. They likely had very little to do with what ordinary Greeks actually believed.

>Golden Age
>Silver Age
>Bronze Age
>Heroic Age
>Iron Age

There was a conception of Greek history as having 5 ages, and I'm assuming any game would take place in the Heroic Age when Homer's heroes were kick ass

Mostly of the Athenian-Theban school too, so we get a very specific vision most of the time, particularly in relation to Athena. The Greek Gods often were used for propaganda in the day, since each city-state had their favoured gods it was often a tactic to slanderize mortal rivals by taking the piss out of their chieftain. It's no mistake that the Athenians took a dim view of Ares, the chieftain of Sparta and rival in multiple domains with their own patron Athena.

Athenians
filthy foreigners
barbarians
Persians
demigods

Each PC could be tied to a city and patron god which determines how they interact with others and what divine assistance they can ask for.

Pretty sure Persians fall under monster race, always evil alignment in the Greek system.

half-Persians then

Must pray to Tyche before every dice roll

Phobs draws the cutest demons.
And traps. And demon traps.
But yeah, only humans.

Set the game in a fictionalized version of the time before the late bronze age collapse. You get a few powerful kingdoms to play with in the Hittites and Egypt outside of Greece. And some nice "The Era of Magic and Prosperity is drawing to a close" themes that standard fantasy often uses so its a bit more familiar

Also Sea People's could be the standard barbarians

Minoans civilization should be interpreted as literally Atlantis in any scenerio

Definitely not pic related - they are Persian

Centaurs

Satyr Character art on the left

>Literally Atlantis
>He never heard about Mycenean Greece
>He never heard about Crete

Sea People were nothing more than "Greeks" after their collapse

Let me have my Mythic Greece as understood by Victorian archeologists setting

>Victorian
>archeologists
You mean grave robbers, uneducated hacks and fanboys of Homer?

Those cunts destroyed so much we can't even reconstruct half of the stuff they've trampled. Cretean palaces are the worst case, covered in fucking concrete (Victorian one, so extra shitty) and hand-painted by random people as "restoration"

Aegipanes
Arimaspians
Automoton
Centaurs
Cynocephali
Gegenees
Gigantes
Gorgades
Hippopodes
Machlyes
Pygmies
Satyroi
Tritons

>Sea People's could be the standard barbarians
How about they be pic?

Also the Elgin marbles!

At least those were "only" stolen and put in the museum.
Comapre that with Crete, where original buildings and ruins wee covered in up to two meters of concrete that can't be even removed due to the fear of destruction of original structures. Fortunately the concrete was of such bad quality it's starting to erode all by itself, revealing more and more.

Dem lips.

Then fucking kill yourself. British managed to destroy most of archeological sites in Greece with their raging incompetence during entire 19th and early 20th century. In theory, Greece is one of the best studies ancient civilisations. In practice, most of sites are fucking useless due to "ingenious" Victorian archeology.
Even early Arab "achievement" of digging tunnels right through pyramids of Giza was less damaging.

As for now, he's not drawing anything at all.
For over a year
Unless you pay him gazillion of monies, after which he stalls for few months with sketches and then just sends refunds

Depressive af, was really pumped up for his incoming comics project

He's not one of the Olympian Gods, so no, he doesn't live on Olympus.

Hades was a pretty bro guy. Only god who asks for permission to take a wife, treats her well, she's married to basically the best guy possible (Poseidon is the only other one with similar status, and he's a rapemonster to women), he's RICH AS FUCK, and not to mention that Hades doesn't even cheat on her.

AND he's pretty solidly lawful, while bending the rules for heroes all the time.

>You want to take Spot, Herc? Sure, walk him, but make sure you bring him back when you're done.
(Protip, he named his dog Spot.)
>You want to take your wife back, Orpheus? Well, the dead are never allowed to leave the Underworld, but if you play your music and don't look back, I'll let you. Just don't fuck it up.

Demeter was just a screaming bitch who threatened to starve out all the mortals in existence because she couldn't handle her daughter not being around any more.

Until the Sea Peoples rolled in.

Those weird viking-pirate guys the Egyptians fought off a few times.

So translated
>Aegipanes
Non player race of Capricorn style animals or a race named after the satyr-like god Aegipan.
>Arimaspians
Cyclops from Russia who battle griffins
>Automoton
living bronze statues
>Cynocephali
dog headed people from southern Africa.
>Gegenees
Six armed giants born from the earth.
>Gigantes
Giants
>Gorgades
People covered in hair. Think hypertrichosis.
>Hippopodes
Horse footed Scythians.
>Machlyes
Half female, half males.
>Pygmies
small people
>Satyroi
Satyrs or monkey people
>Tritons
Tentaclelike fish legged people.

> he
I thought she still does art for Bubble Comics?
I actually started reading Demonslayer becuse she does art in later issues.
It sucks but I got a thing for trashy Russian fantasy.

Exclusively humans, maybe with options for tuning them a bit with divine blessings, having monstrous or divine ancestry or some kind of special Moira/fate (a bit like the Geas froom Celtic mythology or the Slaine RPG).
Include the option of playing things like centaurs,satyrs or lesser nymphs,but only as a "reward" (maybe for a player whose previous character died such an epic death he just fuckin' deserves rolling a centaur character).

At fucking last,someone who actually knows that "rape" is a modern form for what called "violation" not even 40 years ago, and that its original meaning is more like "abduct" or "kidnap".

>she
My whole life was a lie

Human and godling and that's it, otherwise you're missing the fucking point.

>rapere
>Greek
user, I have bad news for you, even if the post is essentially correct.

I'm really sorry user.
She isn't even cute.

Honey, if you think "rapere" isn't used extensively throughout the corpus of Latin literature as a euphemism for rape, you need to go back and take a hard look at Vergil.

Actually, Ares was still pretty important to Athens. He was their oath God, the one you swear to. The Areopagus was named for him and was where the law courts were, and he's a god that the Athenian Ephebic oath was made to. And only the important ones got to be in that oath.

But I feel like a lesbian now

This

Latin scholar here (i didn't think that that would become relevant in two threads today)
Rapere just means to take away (violently) in its basic meaning, kidnapping was usually abducere, the whole rape stuff came later

It's a greek thread, you know what to do.
Go write some poetry.

Is it worth it? I mean art by Phobs is always worth watching, but shit story can destroy everything

The split was not done fairly. Zues and poseidon picked their domains before even letting hades in on it. He was purposefully dicked into ruling the underworld and thus kept away from the other gods most of the time due to his responsibilities.

Phobs is a he? All that Melkor/Mairon shipping seems way too effeminately homo to come from a he

>All that Melkor/Mairon shipping seems way too effeminately homo to come from a he
You are cute with your assumption

But yeah, Phobs is a girl.

Character should either be EXSCLUSIVELY human, OR,

this list, SANS humans.

All of the mythic races should have some sort of exalted tier flaw that fucks them up.

You know, greeks where pretty cool with man-to-man love; so Elves would fit just fine.

I'd think there would be much more blatant sexual tension if it was a male shipping them.

I think she actually illustrates multiple comics.
I know that Phobs did some artwork for (the later arkc of) Major Grom and Demonslayer both of which are pretty meh storywise.
Nothing straigh up atrocious though.
She may also have done something else.
Plus I have no idea if the English translation is any good.

>some sort of exalted tier flaw
Almost all of them are horny as fuck in myths already.

>Greece mythology

So are the humans. And the gods.

My Russian is good enough to manage with comics

Great.
Have these links then.
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4238138
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:9D8BBFE8A92A34828E310E580201BF64899BB664&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fbt2.t-ru.org%2Fann%3Fmagnet

>He never heard about Crete
>Minoans
Uh, user?

Humans, maybe some planetouched, part-giant/satyr/cyclopes, old-style freak tieflings...

What's that comic?

Minotaurs, Amazons, Barbarians, Undead zombie/spirits who mostly live underground, hairy buggers who might be beastmen but could also just be naked greeks, Persians and Egyptian Furries.

The mistranslation is from french into english, not greek into english - like the "canali" of mars fiasco.

Demigods that's it.

>Greek Gods
>Raising kids
You mean leave to some random human surely

>a minor cuck.
He's the God of Cucks, Aphrodite is famous for fucking basically everyone but him.

>leaving to kids to random humans
>not letting them be raised by wild animals

Do you even Demigod parenting 101, barbarian?

Aphrodite had a penis though.

The capital of the Cretin civilisation was Knossos and its most famous ruler Minos, of the labyrinth of Knossos fame, so Minoans/Cretins/Mycenians were the same civilisation.

I'm also fairly certain Atlantis or at the very least the island that sank bit of that myth is based on an island in the mediterranean that geologists think is the remnant of a larger island that was partially destroyed in the early bronze age when a volcano exploded so aggressively that the majority of the island was blown five miles out to sea and then covered in lava.

All that remains of it today is the side of the volcano that didn't explode and a groove shaped crater that points towards an undersea location whose geological deposit doesn't match the material around it, like someone picked up a chunk of land from elsewhere and just dropped it into the sea.

This is the greatest concept for anything ever. Stealing it now.