Hi Veeky Forums...

Hi Veeky Forums, I just read Damnation Crusade trying to figure what the Space Marines are about and it made me feel retarded. So here's my question: if you like grit, guts and honor as in the real world Marines, but don't like gigantic fatbody mary sues that like to dress up as medieval knights like the Space Marines (wtf), and also don't like WW1 style ass backwards 18th to early 20th century gunline trench warfare like the Astra Militarum, who should you play as in the 40k setting?

Also alternatively if there is no such faction then which other game might be better? Preferably with some awesome fluff. Maybe I can convince some friends.

Other urls found in this thread:

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Raptors_(Chapter)
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Raven_Guard
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mentors
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Carcharodons
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Stormtrooper
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Catachan_Jungle_Fighters
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Cadian_Shock_Troopers
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Elysian_Drop_Troops
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Harakoni_Warhawks
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tanith_First_and_Only
1d4chan.org/wiki/Hua_Yuan_Exterminators
1d4chan.org/wiki/Ice_Wraiths
1d4chan.org/wiki/Star_Krakens
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Astra Militarum

It's the Guard boy and you'd better not forget it.

Make a Marine army consisting entirely of scouts, scouts as tacticals, scout devastators, assault scouts, scout dreadnought (which is just a sentinel with some arms and a coffin)...

The possiblities are endless. But if you want to be serious play a reasonable chapter like the Raven Guard or Raptors.

Infinity.
It's pretty weab in the GitS, tho, so you might not like it.

Nigga what the fuck did you expect going into 40k
Had you never seen any pictures of 40k ever

Also Raptors are basically Tacticool Marines if that's your thing

>wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Raptors_(Chapter)
>wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Raven_Guard
>wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mentors
>wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Carcharodons

>wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Stormtrooper
>wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Catachan_Jungle_Fighters
>wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Cadian_Shock_Troopers
>wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Elysian_Drop_Troops
>wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Harakoni_Warhawks
>wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tanith_First_and_Only

>1d4chan.org/wiki/Hua_Yuan_Exterminators
>1d4chan.org/wiki/Ice_Wraiths
>1d4chan.org/wiki/Star_Krakens

Stormtroopers. Maybe the Sisters of Battle.

But seriously, if you don't like the Space Marines or the Imperial Guard, with all their variance/lack of definition allowing variance, maybe you should try another setting.

>grit, guts and honor

You fundamentally do not mesh with the setting, so why bother?

This guy has it, go play Ariadna, they hardcore.

You should google "sly marbo"

Yes but the Corps is also big on retardation and hand-me-down equipment from the Army.

Just like in 40k

Also these

>WW1 style ass backwards 18th to early 20th century gunline trench warfare like the Astra Militarum
>Astra Militarum
>ENTIRE Imperial Guard
>all use trench warfare
Bitch if you can't fucking read just say so.

You could do skitarii,
Inquisitorial stormtroopers
Catachans
Kasrkins
Space marine scouts

And also as an aside, why the fuck WOULDNT space marines wear fuckhuge armour? They're literally astronauts with giant guns. They need hordes of life support equipment to make them hardy as hell given the circumstances. Sorry if they don't look sleek like all the new iSoldier bullshit nowadays.

Hey I actually really like the way this guy looks. He looks like he reveilles and does pushups then goes on to use actual tactics in combat. I guess unlike the Black Templars, he knows that LARPing as a knight in the far future, to the point of speaking ye olde english, makes you look like a humongous faggot and also a ween despite ostensibly being a super soldier.

play other setting you fuck wit

Skitarii seem a bit too religious although I appreciate the radioactive weaponry. I guess by stormtroopers you mean Militarum Tempestus? Those dudes actually seem cool too although the dress is definitely WW1 again.

Raptor Space Marines actually seem really cool so far although I am very bummed they call each other "brothers". But I would not actually feel bad about having this mini here.

Okay, no. 40k just is not for you.
It isn't. We could try suggesting alternative armies but at this point you're missing the entire premise.

Try other settings, Infinity seems to be the suggested game here. But really, just not 40k. It would be like playing Engine Heart and complaining about everything being a confused and alone civilian robot instead of killdroids.

Fun fact: Astra Militarum is whoever and whatever you want them to be.

Cadian Shock Troopers specialize in maneuver warfare and modern tactics like we use in the 21st century, if that tickles your fancy.

And of course, every fucking regiment does something differently. They're all total badasses, but every regiment was deliberately trained and equipped to do one thing in order to make them interdependent on regiments that do other stuff.

>RL Marines
>having grit, guts, or honor

Kek.

That said, 40K is simply not your game. Play Infinity or Dropzone Commander. Ariadna in Infinity and the UCM in Dropzone are right up your alley.

Make an Elysian drop troop regiment, that should satisfy your requirements.

Of couse, they get slaughtered a lot, but such is life.

>and also don't like WW1 style ass backwards 18th to early 20th century gunline trench warfare like the Astra Militarum,

They do pretty much every other form of warfare as well, OP. You'd know that if you ever looked into the fluff for the IG. They have whole regiments devoted explicitly to close combat, to HALO Drop-troopers, to massed armored companies to hit-and-run forces. The only reason you see gunline-style artwork is because it makes for better artwork.

>Skitarii seem a bit too religious

Nigga the whole setting is religious, because it turns out gods are real. NOT being religious in some form is the height of idiocy in this universe.

>if you like grit, guts and honor as in the real world Marines,

Lol you don't know most Marines if you think this is true.

Don't get me wrong, they're (usually) very, very good at their job, but jesus christ they're ridiculous when they're not being pointed towards the enemy to kill shit.

Eh, not that guy, but the 'gods' in 40K are just psychic parasites. They're incredibly powerful, but they're not divine, and they don't have your best interests at heart.

Giving Warp gods more power hasn't turned out well for anyone.

Scions

Nigga. They gods.
They have galactic levels powers. They literally absorb your soul if you pledge yourself to them.

They gods. Nobody said gods were nice.

Which is generally how soldiers are. Which is how most people are actually. Who doesn't have a life besides work? And if you have a rough time at work then you gotta get so much more out of your free time. Cousin is a marine btw and yeah he's not exactly superman.

He won't like Infinity either even if adriana have Spetnaz and SAS he would whine about the dog soldiers and weapons

I don't know, if CoD has taught me anything it's that people who fap to the marine stereotype really fucking like dogs.

They're just reflections of the thoughts and emotions of the material realm. They need you more than you need them. They had no part in creating the universe and have no inherent divinity.

They are just extremely powerful side effects of the way 40K physics works. A powerful human psychic was able to fight off four of them. Warp gods are the exact same things as daemons, just... bigger.

What do you even call "inherent divinity"? I'm not sure if even you know what you mean by that.

Also gods dont need to be involved in an origin story to be gods. They dont need to be nice. They change even need belief to exist and still be gods.

Gods don't need to be part of the creation of the universe - in most ancient myths, more than half the gods are created after the world is formed. And the Warp is supposed to be in a separate plane of existence from the material world, so the Chaos gods can't mess with it that much.

Still, 40k does this weird thing where there really are no gods, though. In most settings, there are gods and the game says as such, and there's no reason to question it due to in-universe logic. But 40k straight up tells you what the 'gods' are. The Eldar Gods aren't gods, they're psychic constructs. The Emperor is obviously not a god, just a very powerful man - and in more recent lore, probably not even all that powerful on his own. The C'tan aren't gods, they're just star vampires. It's playing on the idea of the lack of understanding of everyone within the universe - people who can't even understand the basic science of their lasguns and consider basic repairs to be religious rights - and how powerful things can be mistaken as gods, despite us logical educated people knowing nothing in the universe is truly a deity.

>grit, guts and honor as in the real world Marines
>gigantic fatbody mary sues that like to dress up as medieval knights like the Space Marines
>WW1 style ass backwards 18th to early 20th century gunline trench warfare like the Astra Militarum
>that tacticool oper8or picture

>I am very bummed they call each other "brothers"

OP I'd be delighted if you'd share with us your vast knowledge on how you would design a force more to your liking.

It's Tempestus Scions, not Militarium Tempestus. The Astra Militarium is the fancy name for the Imperial Guard, loosely translated as space soldiers. Tempestus Scions is 'storm youths,' which makes some sense since they're raised from orphans.

The older storm trooper models is probably more your style.

Here goes: They have all the Space Marines gear, but they had to do pushups and pull ups to get those muscles. They did more pushups and pull ups than anyone to get those muscles and that's why they get to be the Space Marines. They were recruited from some backwater world because they were badass, but there wasn't some weird freemasonry meets the hanky code initiation rite, instead they got yelled at a lot and got a shitty pay but they get to go to space. They're badass because they fight aliens in space, like nobody else can or dares to. Also they get yelled at a lot, trash talk and use tactics a lot and they occasionally have a beer and laugh. They talk like normal people and don't call each other neophytes or shit. Also they cooperate with the navy and army and their motivations aren't obscure religious crusades, it's more like protecting shipping lanes and making planetfall and slaughtering hideous aliens by the thousands and conquering cities.

You know, what you would expect from hearing the words "Space Marines".

But I'm thinking I'll just play the Raptors with this headcanon.

This is retarded.

You don't like 40k.

So you want Space Marine, but more retarded and less formal?
So who is a marine? Your father or your older brother? You obviously aren't one because you'd mention it already a few times, but this MUHREEN HOO RAH ideas you have must've come from somewhere.

I don't like shitting on soldiers, but every army has retards. And the marines have the biggest number and their retards are really retarded. For every Marine that killed someone with a MRE spoon there are two marines that died due to a simple leg wound because their squad medic was dead and the others didn't know you have to patch that shit up.

Actually it makes way more sense than knights in space which doesn't make sense at all.

I know mang, I'm not actually claiming real life marines are super soldiers or super anything. You shouldn't expect somebody who makes that career choice to be an intellectual really else you're kidding yourself. But it's probably fair to compare idealized hollywood Earth Marines to idealized future Space Marines, both are fiction

US Marines are glorified cannon fodder.

So, play Imperial Guard.

Don't play Raptors.

They're still battle brothers, adeptus astartes with a fortress monetary who take in novitiates for potential additions to their ranks via implantation of holy geneseed. They still use devastators, dreadnoughts and swords.
They are knights in space, just with a few special forces sprinkles on top.

The Raptors, or maybe Stormtroopers, are the closest to what you want in 40k. But you don't want 40k.

You've gone into a Chinese restaurant and ordered a massive steak with fries. The closest thing they have is a fried beef dish but you dont want that. It's got soy, it's got sauces and all kinds of stuff you're just not into. And that's not a bad thing.
But.. Go to a steakhouse for your steak, go to Chinese restaurant for your noodles. Otherwise you're going to have a bad time.

But your idea of real marines is like some juveniles fantasy of what they actually are.
>they are all gruff and manly but can joke and drink beer and they don't afraid of anything and shoot the bad guys PEW PEW BOOM HEADSHOT
And you dislike the culture of Space Marine, while American marines are one of the biggest cults around. All that Semper Fi and No Marines Left Behind really does work and some of the slower ones are completely indoctrinated into it. They go in expecting Generation Kill level shenanigans mixed with Black Hawk Down action and brotherhood, but then you discover that, for the majority of them, they'll get Jarhead.

What you want is feasible in 40k. A homemade Chapter or homemade Scions regiment with this lore wouldn't even break the fluff. But you'd have to do quite some modding to the models to get them visually appealing I think, because you don't really seem to be that big of a fan of the 40k aesthetic.

>which doesn't make sense at all
>warhammer 40k

this is bait

Only if they're German Shepards