What are some fictional metals or materials you've used in your campaigns?

What are some fictional metals or materials you've used in your campaigns?

Mithril, Adamantine, and Orichalcum are all pretty common. Post your favorites, or ones you personally created.

>Ignium - A bronze-like magical alloy that burns forever once ignited. Must be shaped magically, or else it tends to explode when melted by a furnace.

>Deathstone - An inaccurate, but aptly named metal that causes a slow death in any who have come into contact with it. Being cut with a Deathstone blade is a sure death. A metal favored by assassins, even a painless pinprick, or a few ingested shavings can be lethal.

>Shimmerscale - A strange blend of crystalline flakes that reflect and amplify light. Some take to wearing cloaks of this stuff to blind foes when under direct sunlight.

>Thanatite - An otherworldly metal exuding hateful energies that seek to snuff out life in all forms. It withers living tissue into nothingness. Do not recommend making into armor.

Other urls found in this thread:

rec.games.frp.dnd.narkive.com/jK1B29JE/magical-metals-special-materials
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I like the Discworld's Stygium, which superheats itself in sunlight, and is highly unstable in large quantities.
Never really found a use for it beyond the one mentioned in the books as pointlessly ostentatious signet rings for assassins and other people who are associated with night. But I'm hoping I'll come up with something appropriate some day.

If it superheats when in sunlight then that seems like it might be useful for building a steam engine.

The OP's ignium would obviously be great for the same purpose. You could theoretically use it to evaporate a lake by just dropping a large chunk of it in the water.

Shimmerscale would be good for making lasers.

I get most of my ideas from Mortdred's Magical Metals

rec.games.frp.dnd.narkive.com/jK1B29JE/magical-metals-special-materials

In my setting I made up a material called Pale Light (or Brightsteel). It's a very malleable ore, with properties akin to mithril and alchemical silver, except it also acts as a superconductor (used extensively in dwarven arcane machinery). Its very nature, however, repels magic and its common for weak magic to fizzle when in presence of brightsteel; while large quantities thereof can silence even the best spellcasters of the realm.

The entire planet serves as a phylactery for a galactic being, a proto-lich of sorts. The brightsteel veins are in fact runic etchings which hold the primordial magic together.

Guess what will happen when enough of brightsteel is mined out

>Ignium - A bronze-like magical alloy that burns forever once ignited. Must be shaped magically, or else it tends to explode when melted by a furnace.
As a GM who loves to give his players free hand and enjoys creativity and iniciative I would be very careful with something like that. I can already see them starting freaking industrial revolution and building perpetum mobile tanks.

Demon Iron is its trade name, but it's not an iron at all. It's a living thing, given a liberal definition of "living".

It has to be implanted into someone or something with innate magical power. Natural-born sorcerers (especially those with divine power) are the best for this. Any spells the sorcerer does not use are "eaten" by it, and it slowly grows. It eventually snakes its way through most of the body, and when it has grown enough, it begins to shear the spine of the victim, paralyzing them. It's at this point the one who implanted it in the first place harvests the mature specimen, or abducts the person and trims it like a twisted bonsai project where the host is kept alive as long as possible.

It can be forged into weapons that strip significant amounts of unspent magic from spellcasters. If you survive a fight against a user, there is a very real risk that any fragments that broke off can feed on your magical energy and grow.

Call me a killjoy but I'd never allow such a thing in my campaign unless a character is specifically made out to be a prodigy inventor and has (in D&D terms) 20+ Int.

In 99% of cases players just apply metagame concepts to the game world to "lol make dynamite xD" or whatnot. There is no process of discovery, no immediate need to do that. Just suddenly out of the blue he wants to mix sulfur, saltpeter and coal (knowing the exact proportion) and start industrial revolution.

Thankfully none of my players have thought to do that.

We're running GURPS too, so adapting to an industrial world would be just easy enough that I'd have to allow it.

Also what this user said

Not exactly a metal, but in my setting there's magical ways of spinning mithril into threads and blending it with wool.

The resulting clothing looks like normal clothes, but is the equivalent of plate armor.
>Yes I know that makes relatively little sense, but its rule of cool.

Okay, I'll try to explain : in my setting (alternate reality milky way with more awesome poured into it), some legendary weapons are made out of solid light. Now you think that it's not a metal but it's actually found, not created/generated, and mined in random ass asteroids. It's weightless (litterally), and, aside from being uber-radioactiv, not really harmful, unless refined. Then, through various means, the material actually become partly immaterial and can go through stuff, damaging it in the process. Lightsabers are not a thing, but weapons using modified non-solid light are only "coated" in it

How'd you get rid of it once it takes hold?And what if you expend all your spells, every day? Does it wither because it's got no food, or does it sustain itself on ambient magic?

Uber Radioactive
Not very dangerous.
Pick one user.

Contradictions aside that's gotta be the best explanation for brilliant energy weapons.

cooking
smelting
heating buildings
survivalism
welding

Thundersteel. It's super light and super strong- a man has difficulty even telling that he's holding a thundersteel dagger- but it can only be made by a wizard capable of manipulating lightning.

Or at least that's what the players think. It's actually just aluminium.

Well, radiation is not something that dangerous in a setting were space wizard can ward you from it.
Also, there's much, much worse than that out there, it's kinda hard to talk about stuff sans bursting into >muh lore exposition
But yeah, I would advise player not to eat that stuff.

super-radioactive could be a little bit misleading....you could say that it quickly dissipates/degrades into non-harmful light unless refined....

>>top kek

Bloodsteel, the proof of a great warrior, it only happens when any piece of still goes through a bloodshed multiple times. It's until unknown whether objects made of this material do hold some power and characteristics or it's the wielder's abilities and power shining through those artifacts.

SoS's premise for Orichalcum was pretty cool, but setting specific. A metal that cannot be deformed or damaged so long as any living thing is in contact with it. When not in contact, it's as malleable as gold, making it easy to work. It's only ever found native in subterranean deposits shaped like eyes, with each deposit "looking" in the direction of another, possibly hundreds of miles away.

People use it to make swords and armor of impossibly thin dimensions that are nevertheless indestructible as long as someone is holding them, or to uphold impossible buildings with wire-thin strands which are kept connected to a bucket of mice or something, so that they can never break.

doesn't make it less dangerous but i get what you're saying. Cause if you're mining an asteroid in mid evil fantasyville you better have a godamned wizard.

I have something called Bloodsteel too.

Except it's a cursed material so rough and jagged, no matter how much you try to grind it or smooth it or mold it, touching it flays the flesh and causes immense bleeding.

You know how fucked up shit has to be when getting hit by a maul will make you bleed worse than a sword?

And gods help you if you get a sliver embedded into your skin.

Fucking christ that's edgy. I love it.

Amazonian Bronze is stronger than steel and will always hold an edge for one year after being sharpened once. It can take on the properties of chemicals applied to it, so once poisoned it will remain so until cleansed in a fire with sage burning in it. The smiths who forge it keep the process hidden so well that even the the women warriors who wield it in battle have no idea how it's made. It also cannot be reforged without losing its special properties.

Sky Steel is found high in the mountains. Eons of exposure have left it tuned into wind magic. The sky pirates who live in the mountains use it to make weapons that become light as air in their hands once they take flight. Not as strong as actual steel, and it has a slight green tint that turns to blue when it rusts.

That's all I've got. Seeing as the main "evil" nation has the god of metal as a patron deity I should think of a few more.

Usually by a high level cleric, I'm guessing. That's the beauty of it.

Fleshing it out, it's not every single day that the victim exhausts his prepared spells, so it keeps on growing during the victim's downtime. And as an added twist, demon steel enhances the victim's magic, making spells twice as powerful and increasing their strength and endurance.

Neat.

Aurumus, which is to gold what mithril is to silver.

It will always have a slight glow to it, and drinks in firelight or sunlight to become warm to the touch.
Very heavy for a tool or armor metal, it's usually used sparingly on parts of armor that will recieve the most damage or the edges and points of weapons. What it does possess is the ability to keep an incredibly sharp yet resilient edge, as well as absorb strikes making it prized by warriors. Particularly holy fighters who worship fire or the sun, for whom a valuable and beautiful substance that emits the same glow is sacred.
A point of interest is that it does not possess mithril's eternal sheen and instead shares silver's weakness of tarnishing and blackening without maintenance. Some believe this to be symbolic of forever needing to reaffirm their beliefs and ensure that their faith is never neglected. Despite this paladins often palm off the duty of maintaining their arms and armor to their acolytes, apparently not seeing the irony.
Only occasionally seen on someone who isn't a lord or member of a couple of the seal their churches. Probably best to avoid them, as the material makes a very good vector for enchantments and it's rare to find a piece that hasn't had at least a light enchantment placed upon it.

Purely made to be a mithril counterpoint. While mithril is light and eternal, aurumus is heavy and transient. Alchemists and natural philosophers are convinced there's an alloy between the two as electrum is gor gold and silver. So far they've just made a load of very expensive messes.

I might steel this for a character.

DONUT STEEL

>Donut Steel
It's a magical alloy that when used in wands and rings. The wand and ring will dispel spells that have recently been cast by the caster.

The Mingol Champion in my campaign is trying to gather together the ingredients for Absolute Steel, a lost formula created by ancient Karyai and Quarmallian academics, lost in the cataclysm that created the Wastes of Quarmall.
He's finally had the cyphers translated and learned the location of some of the obscure ingredients.

Haematite from the Mountains of Hunger
Erythrone from the Mountains of Darkness
Molybdena from the mines of Vectis
Kobold from the poisonous mines of Horborixen
Chroma from the Bones of the Old Ones mts.
Eggshell of the Rukh for carbon
Bark of the Kleshite Machineel tree for the same
Powdered Asteri (the false stars of Nehwon) to remove impurities
Clay blessed by a god to create the crucible
Charcoal from the old forests of the 8 Cities
Behemoth oil to quench the blade

He's already had a sword made of the False Absolute Steel created by the sage Rahm'seen of Shedusan, from lesser substitutes, and it created a Keen longsword (+1 Crit rng) with base damage of 1d6+3/1d8+3.

The Absolute Steel can create a Keen Vorpal Weapon.

I focused on alloys and sub-types of the common fantasy metals in my setting.
Mythril is just an alloy of Avarium and Platinum, while Orichalcum is (the in-setting equivalent of) Iridium and Platinum. Platinum or Iron can be magic-enriched to produce several sub-categories of the other alloys.

Donut Steel: Not an actual steel at all, but named for its tendency to grow in toroid like shapes and rust starting from the top down. The rust tends to be of differing color from specimen to specimen depending on how pure it is.

Donut steel rust is poisonous if ingested or breathed in, especially if there are no impurities. A pinch of it can slow the mind temporarily. Children and teenagers have a more pronounced reaction to donut steel. Pregnant women are advised to stay away from the metal, as exposure can increase risk of cancer and fetal alcohol syndrome like symptoms in the baby.

>with base damage of 1d6+3/1d8+3.
And yes, the +3 doubles on a critical, resulting in his crit damage being (1d6+3)x2+6 from Str and Duelist.

That's actually a badass world concept user.

i actually got away with kicking off an industrial revolution once,

>was playing a Dwarf Fighter, with a smithing background. >one session we wound up with a bunch of piss poor wine, so me and the half orc druid decide, "fuck it, lets get hammered."
>some roleplaying and a con save or two later, my dwarf has had enough with the "Goblin piss" stuff the cork back into the bottle with about a quarter left of that bottle of wine and tosses it into the fire with the rest of the empty bottles.
>about a minute later my character gets hit in the back of the head with something, turns around, figures the half orc wants to rough house so we go at it for a bit.
>next day, my character finds that charred cork near his bedroll.
>DM sees what im up too, but i play it cool
>couple sessions later, get the gnome cleric to help observe me put a half full bottle of water with the cork in on a bed of coals.
>science ensues over the course of a campaign, eventually me and the gnome present the High King of the Dwarves with our findings, and ask for access to the royal forges.
>have to do him a favor first, yadda yadda
>build a simple two piston, single axel and drive pulley steam engine.
>it weighed 3 tons, consumed enough coal that we impacted the national economy, and forced the reroute of a major river to supply water for steam.
>but we actually managed to roleplay ourselves into an industrial revolution

>large quantities thereof can silence even the best spellcasters of the realm.
And so, every ruler worth his salt has plated his throne room in the stuff.
Right?

This is why you make the super-special "negates/reflects all magic!" material incredibly difficult to create, like having to be forged on the surface of the sun.

>Glyss
It was from some 3e handbook for the PsyWar.
Essentially it's a kind of glass treated with vaporised copper. On it's own it's a flexible, extremely delicate and mostly useless mundane material.
However it is an incredible conductor of psychic energy. When in close contact with a psychic it becomes as strong as steel -or stronger if the user really focuses. Naturally, Psychic Warriors like to use it for weapons and armour.
It can even be used to create working prosthetic for crippled psychics. Of course the new limbs are expensive and rarely work as well as the old ones.

Glyss always seemed like a cool substance to me. Something a little exotic but also very plain. A magic-related material with an explanation other than "RUNES" or "ain't gotta splain shit." By having a base in the material it actually felt more magical, like a bridge between the explainable and the weird. Not the sort for thing you could build a campaign around but a very flavourful little oddity to have on the equipment list.

Flexwood

A wood that can be shaped and used like plastic with the right processing. Extremely useful.

>The smiths who forge it keep the process hidden so well that even the the women warriors who wield it in battle have no idea how it's made.
My headcannon is that it's made by doing something that only men can do, like peeing standing up, or something equally petty/stupid

its quenched in semen

Slicksilver (name subject to change)

A material that's white as snow, it starts as a liquid but the more you hammer/impact it, the harder it gets. In its liquid form it acts like that cornstarch & water slime stuff (briefly hardens when you hit it) so it doesn't splash everywhere during forging. Additionally, it absorbs blood like a sponge, and gains extra properties based on how much/what kind of blood it has absorbed

This is one of the non-magical materials I worked up when I was putting together a low-magic setting. Basically "How can I give my players a flaming weapon without making it magical?" So I came up with red iron.

Red iron is a somewhat misnamed alloy of steel and a soft red metal found in a certain mountain range. The metal reacts to the moisture in the air, secreting a thick, oily liquid (giving it the common nickname of "weeping steel") over time. This liquid is highly flammable, and weapons made from red iron can be set alight with a single spark after they've been exposed to the air for a time (being left in a sheathe is usually enough exposure).

However, the liquid the metal sheds leeches material from the metal to do so, leaving it brittle and prone to breakage the more it's used (especially since most users strike the metal against something to set off a spark instead of stopping to light the weapon aflame with a separate source of fire). It also requires constant maintenance, at the very least to keep the liquid from dripping all over and turning you into a human bonfire waiting to happen. Because of these issues, it's not used much, except by the exceptionally reckless. That said, those who do use red iron weapons make a pretty damned impressive sight on the battlefield. Well, most of them... there was one NPC in the game I ran that used a sheathe with a bit of flint set in the mouth to light the sword as it was drawn, who also didn't bother to keep up the maintenance on the sword itself. He didn't make for a challenging foe, but the players seemed to enjoy it when one of their enemies drew his sword with a flourish, then promptly caught fire and ran screaming from the battlefield.

Not a metal, but in my setting, Wood Elves have a special method to grow wood. They can grow it into any shape, and it's about as strong as early medieval steel. This process also allows them to make a sharp edge using the sap in the wood to lacquer the weapon, and can be used on non-wood to create slightly stronger fibers. However, since this method aldo makes the wood much lighter, it's not much good for bludgeoning wespons

I have element-129 in my universe which is insanely unstable and exists for fractions of seconds, unless it bonds with hydrogen. If it bonds with hydrogen it becomes a light pink metal that is nigh-unbreakable to reasonable forces. The king of the gods in my universe essentially had 5000 massive ships drive around supernova remnants to collect the metal (because it is made in such small quantities). He has roughly a 1 metre longsword and another 3 metres in length he stores in his body

I've used the "creatively named" ironwood, which is wood from plants that have been magically stunted, so that all their growth is in a much smaller volume, making it much harder and denser.

which is nice and all, but the craftsmen who created it also realized it works for all plants, and used the same magic on cotton and flax, creating super-durable cloth which makes effective armor if a layer of padding is placed under it.

Darkwood came from, well, darkwood trees. They absorbed light that fell on them and nearby light as well, even after they'd been chopped down. Made for interesting decor. They extracted metals from the soil and deep in the earth and fruited it off in small pods that were mostly pure. Most were pretty inert, but the silver pods contained liquid silver that pretty much never stopped glowing. The gold pods contained liquid gold that never stopped burning, which was kind of an issue.

Velium was an icy mineral that would 'grow' from seed nodules as long as they weren't damaged. They stopped after hitting a certain size, but had no other barriers to their growth. Made it functionally infinite, and a great insulator. Non conductive, maintained temperature around it at a steady -10 or so. Also a great conductor of mana.

Unfortunately for your headcanon, women can be smiths. Although pissing on the metal is a step. Specifically after drinking enough beer to get absolutely sloshed. A result wheat falling under the portfolio of their patron goddess.

I forget the actual name of it, but it was a metal whose stength was inversely proportional to the amount of the metal. So the thinner you could make it the stronger it became, approaching indestructibility at the width of molecules.

It was useful in leaf form, to bond to armor for protection. Alos if you mixed it with other metal in the right amount and cast it, while not as durable as its natural state, it would reform to the cast shape if damaged.

Osmainum- An alchemical alloy that is repelled by the planet's natural thaumaturgic field. Essentially, it floats in magical energy like a cork in water; however, how high it floats and how quickly it ascends can be regulated by changing its temperature. The warmer the metal is, the higher and faster it floats.

Reverbium, stores energy and release it. The more of the metal and the way in which it is made, the more it can store.

The most common use is as say, a piece of armor which can take a number of hits and later on safely disperse the stored energy. Or like, having some plates of the stuff in building foundations for protection from earthquakes. One could make an incredibly destructive weapon though with it, but also extremely unstable, but storing up a huge amount of energy and releasing it against a foe.

METALLIC ARCHAEA

Also:

Magicite = crystallized magical energy, used as fuel and energy source for spells

Nethicite = aka voidstones; solid crystals that absorb magical energy. Can be used to store raw magical energy in order to be harnessed later in similar fashion as batteries, or supercharged to create unstable arcane nukes.

Lucicryst= similar to magicite in appearance, but transforms sun -and starlight into raw magical power, though slowly.

Varytite= crystal substance that counteracts gravity when infused with a current or flow of magical energy; greater the current, stronger the gravity-repelling effect. Used in skyships to fly or levitate. Highly susceptible to interference from external forces or sorcery, making implementation of it in large scale risky at best and suicidal at worst.

Volkisite= glass-like concentrated magical energy created en masse by spells. Similar to magicite but a thousand times less 'dense' as to the concetration of magical energy. Similar to glass in all properties concerning non-magic users; highly brittle etc.

¤ Prolonged exposure to any of these crystals and their effects can and will cause cancer in humans ¤

Sky-iron= Rare dark iron extracted from meteors and comets landed on earth. Incredibly strong and resilient, but also more dense and heavier than normal iron. Requires sorcery just to forge anything out of it, as the heat of man-made forges cannot soften it enough.

Titanite= Iron-like metal that's similar to well-made steel in appearance and properties, but is highly malleable to sorcery, ie. objects made from it can be easily enchanted or enhanced with magic, creating magical weapons, armour etc.

Chyrobrass= Strong metal similar in colour to well-made bronze but as strong as steel but slightly heavier. Doesn't rust like iron or steel though. Commonly seen with non-human races, especially aquatic ones.

Dimeritium= direct ''Witcher'' -rip-off; soft lead-like metal with a slightly green/cyan tint that nullifies magic in similar fashion to nethicite. Used to restrain witches and magicians as well as ward off spells.

Stellacite= aka Starstone, diamond-hard minerals not native to earth, used in weapons, tools and such and such by non-human races.

Alabastos = organic, porous and bone-coloured material grown by coral organisms, similar in properties to bones of terrestial animals. Grown en masse on industrial scale in underwater coral fields. Alabastos of different densities are intented for different purposes; light-density, highly-poroused alabastos is used to make sheets and supporting structures for skyships and planes, while high-density, non-porous alabastos can be shaped into weapons or plating for suits of armour.

Orchalcum isn't technically fictional - it's real, and is an alloy of copper: 75-80 percent copper, 15-20 percent zinc, and smaller percentages of nickel, lead and iron.

Solarium is a rock like mineral that, by itself, can't be shaped or used as metal but is the primary source of magic item creation and is usually incorporated in the design of such items.

All stars are essentially giant balls of magic radiation and it's theorized that during the intial formation of the universe the birth (and death) of stars would coalesce forming Solarium with the strongest concentrations being of planets closer to the sun.

Planets with closer to the sun are found to have entire cores made of it as well as other metals and boast bountiful life on them or in some way can support life (i.e. the Moon, having been split from the !Earth has Solarium although all the life is primarily subterranian).

Another way its used in Solar Furnances which can power void ships during extended trips beyond the Sol's Reach in to the Umbral Zones

i just say in such cases that the thing blows /doesnt blow up because they had no idea how to mix this and that or how to make this or this pipe pressure resistant.
whenever it comes to bringing meta knowledge into the world , they cannot pull it off without in-game years of research, tons of money and sometimes even the risk of death.

and once they invented gunpowder or engines, the first one to make mass-usage of it will probably be the BBEG since he always lets his minions do some economical espionage.

>Slade dust chipped from the edge of Hell is poured into brass to create an incredibly heavy, hard metal used in occult rituals, to bind or banish spirits and demons. It's not suitable for bladed weapons, though ritual knives are sometimes forged from it.
Needs a name.

Infernium. Infernite. Abyssmium.

Or just go with a classic and call it Pandemonium.

Or Pandaemonium. The ae makes it cooler. Relatively speaking. It's a bit more exotic, anyway. Takes it slightly further from demonic real estate.

>Pandemonium

user, are you okay?

>Pandemonium

Etherium is made by pouring an alloy of iron and silver over a crystal glass rod, then dipping the rod into a pool of dragon stomach acid. The slurry, however it is extracted, is then poured into a cast. It's incredibly magically conductive, and its material properties allow it to hold runes very well.

I had Black Powder Crystal formations that reacted explosively to magical energies.
In turn gunpowder was made by packing it into the barrel and the 'flintlock' having a simple rune that activated it.

It was a nice antithesis for casters and guns- the smaller the amount, the closer magic had to be to cause a reaction (thus the lock). The larger, more solid, created a direct feedback to the caster, essentially lighting the 'energy' all the way back.

that gif

I've been collecting and slowly editing stuff over the years

I created Theisite, but in a different sense for my homebrew. It's crystallised essence of Creation.

In my homebrew, all of Creation was perfect Order, until "something" fucked it up (nobody knows what). Something went wrong as a result, and chaos entered the perfect system, causing it to splinter apart, slowly changing into what it is now as "new things" entered the equation and Creation, forever changing what was. I dislike the idea that "everything emerges from chaos" in so many settings, and figured I'd go in a different direction.

Anyway, theisite is the remembrance of that perfect Order, from the eternal moment before time began. When you hold it, you are holding a part of the thing from which all existence sprang. It's completely unbreakable, and also the rarest thing in the multiverse.

A god in my setting invented his own metal, which he named celestial bronze. He invented it for the sole purpose of forging a champion from it, just to prove he could.

Celestial bronze is both harder and stronger than steel, but also much heavier. The champion he forged from it is about the size of a twelve foot athletic man and weighs exactly 3,500lb. Part of this weight is a result of spatial cheating (the champion is 'bigger on the inside' to house his multitude of mechanical parts), but it's not so drastic that he wouldn't be ludicrously heavy without it.

Celestial bronze is incredibly receptive to enchantment, with the only hard limit being the surface area one has to work with when inscribing the proper runes.

The melting point of the metal is also very, very high. The god had to dip it into the surface of a blue giant star to heat it properly.

A metal which is much less ludicrous: Sun's Tears. Sun's tears is a metal which very closely resembles gold in it's malleability and melting point, but is much lighter. It absorbs magic like a sponge, making it very popular for enchantment, as any spell worked into the metal is essentially self-powering. As the name might imply, it is only found in very small deposits and so is quite rare.

Particularly (unimaginably) rich lords have even forged armor from it, enchanting it to the point that it turns aside the arrows, swords and gazes of enemies alike. Potent stuff.

>>Deathstone - An inaccurate, but aptly named metal that causes a slow death in any who have come into contact with it. Being cut with a Deathstone blade is a sure death. A metal favored by assassins, even a painless pinprick, or a few ingested shavings can be lethal.

So basically Dimethylmercury?

>tapu tapu

Sounds like it. I also like to take real world materials and add a bit of fantasy to them, with new names or exaggerated properties.

There was a fun moment a few games ago when one of the players realized Adamantine is actually just titanium.

No, it doesn't sound like it at all. Enough dimethymercury to make a blade would generate a volume of vapor sufficient to poison the wielder and anyone who got too close. An injury would be unnecessary.

So, is there an alloy?

The perfect weapon for a Champion of Nurgle

>unstable in large quantities

being the key phrase there, anons. You can't get a big lump of stygian without it exploding into a cloud of frag. Certainly not enough to work a steam engine, melt other metals, or heating an entire building.

Considering the stated properties of Deathstone, why would anyone make an entire blade out of the stuff, as opposed to just coating the edge?

>There was a fun moment a few games ago when one of the players realized Adamantine is actually just titanium

I want this meme to fucking die, Adamantine is described as a heavy, extremely strong metal that can hold an edge sharp enough to cut through steel or stone.

Titanium on the other hand is only popular because it's got decent hardness for the weight, proper high-carbon steel is objectively superior to most forms of Titanium, it just weighs a lot more. Same reason we use Aluminum; that shit will bend and warp at the thicknesses required for armor, but it's very light and can do a reasonably good job at protecting whatever hull it's used for.

1060 Steel and Steel alloys will always be superior barring the absence of explicitly fictional metals.

Other than surgery when it's at a significant mass, you can't. Expending all spells will starve it but it wont wither, it doesn't -need- to eat due to it being a kind of fiend.

>demon steel enhances the victim's magic, making spells twice as powerful and increasing their strength and endurance.
Original guy here, this actually happens to the host, but to a lesser degree

Presumably a coating would have to wear off, since you'd be losing bits of it to poison people. In the long run, making a blade of it might be more efficient.

In order.
>Magnesium
>Mercury/cadmium/thallium too many to list.
>Chromium
>Uranium

Pretty cool though

My ores/metals

Obtainium- basic ore which when mixed with other metals, takes on the properties of those metals. Only works on common metals.
Unobtainium- rare ore which can "remember" what it once was. If it is shaped into a form, it can always revert to its basic form. Unobtainium looks like black sand. Each speck of unobtainium is worth around 10k gold coins.

Kindatanium- a strange metal that is rare, but occasionally easy to find. It has a strange ability of being moldable at room temperature. As heating up kindatanium causes it to hold the form forever.

But a metal like that would no doubt be quite expensive, in which case I imagine wielders would put up with having to re-apply it every now and then.

And we'd be talking very small blades anyway, like a stiletto. Given that it kills slowly, it'd only be suitable for assassinations.

Urfasium yes the name started as a joke was invented by another contributor on a collaboration I'm in charge of. It's almost frictionless (screw physics) so it has many uses. One interesting side effect is that it is also immune to telekinesis and works as a barrier to a telekinetic line of sight. This means that if a mech has a urfasium coating it is completely immune to telekinesis both inside and out. It wouldn't be able to stand since there's no friction, but it would be immune.

bump for interest

This was a fun thread. I'm surprised a lot of it wasn't just a magical metal, like traditional mithril, but often involved coming up with mundane materials it needs to be combined with or contained within to be effective. It's that little extra step that's a nice touch.

source plz

The Hero Yoshihiko and the Demon King's Castle.

not really. everything is just normal metals, but souped up with magic. some metals are better for making magical weapons, but for the most part it is just people using magic to make better weapons

Oh wait,is that the same one where the guy uses his willpower to regrow his sideburns? I used to have a pic for that, never knew where it was from guess I still might now

Do you come up with fun names for enhanced materials or the items they're used to create? It's kind of like brand marketing for players. Done right you can get them excited about it, done poorly it's too tryhard.

But then I've rarely had a game that didn't descend into silly dumbfuckery.

bump.

I suspect we've exhausted everyone who has super special materials, although this thread was pretty damn cool.

Best I could find on short notice.

According to alchemical theory, yes.
In practice, no.

There is, but you need some crazy shit to make it work. No idea what or what the result would do or even look like. Maybe divine shit or magic destroying.

This thread doesn't have nearly as many scifi setting materials as I expected.

I actually like to parallel fictional and real metals as if it were just some ancient name.
>mithril = aluminum/magnesium/lithium alloy
>adamantium= tungsten
>quick silver = mercury (an actual instance)
>geisteel = titanium
fancy steel alloys like carbide, Damascus, vitalium are fun to use too

>adamantium= tungsten

Adamantine is actually supposed to be diamond, user.

The hardest metal known to man.

Economium.

>in-defuckin'-structible
>has only slightly psionic-resonant properties
>only three incidents in the lore of it ever breaking, one is hypothesized and the other two make scientists shit in fury
>used as a backer for currency since it has a finite amount and a cult of economists akin to AdMech insist on it
>people near it have their minds brought to things that they associate with wealth; smells and fond memories of what they thought wealth meant as kids
>is a barely-sentient silicon-based race of aliens that don't care to be used in such a way, uses psionics to induce hallucinations
>creatures only revealed their sentience to a single member of the economist-cult

but tungsten has a higher toughness and better mechanical properties than diamond

>but tungsten has a higher toughness and better mechanical properties than diamond

Tungsten is also famously brittle and for all it's hardness and heat resistance, is an altogether shitty metal to use for either armor or weapons.

Hardness alone is not enough to determine a good weapons-grade metal, you need ductility and machining too, qualities Tungsten fails miserably at.

This user gets it!

Star-Metal: Shimmering material that looks like glass but has remarkable strength and durability. The majority of star-metal comes from the Plane of Glass; the extra-dimensional realm that connects all of the Realms together. Star-Metal is rare, as the Plane of Glass rarely chips bots of itsself off into the material realms, but is highly sought after because it can cut through anything. It ignores mystical protection and can harness mighty magics within itself without destroying itself in the process.

It's about par. Some original stuff, a lot of indestructible, can do anything etc stuff, and