How as player do you appropriately show appreciation for a GM who goes above and beyond with his games?

How as player do you appropriately show appreciation for a GM who goes above and beyond with his games?

Other urls found in this thread:

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39315078/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

buy him pizza and say thanks dude

What if we play over the internet?

I bring in cake. Or cookies.

you can order pizza over the internet

This is a roll20 GM. We don't actually know each other. I'm just impressed with the level of effort he puts into his games.

Send him nudes.

I'll divide this into $$$ and no $ as some people have issues with expressing gratitude through money.

Be a good player.

>know the rules, pull them up before they're needed, have your spells ready when you're casting them, your feats ready when you're using them. When the rules aren't known, offer a suggestion as to what to rule until someone looks something up. Keep the game moving.

>when s/he gets a rule wrong that you know, point out the correct one- once. A GM might go, "Oh, thanks, user, I was worried I had that wrong." or they might go, "yeah, I know, I'm doing this different" the point is that you're offering the correction, not rules-lawyering.

>Be enthused about the game. It's really rewarding. Talk about it out of session, proclaim your favorite bits, gush about what you're excited to do. Not as your only topic of conversation, but a little genuine enthusiasm and investment goes a long way towards making a GM feel like they're actually running something enjoyable.

>drawfag some stuff, if you've the skills. Alternately, writefag little snippets. Just stuff to show you're invested, interested, and enjoy the world and characters he's working with.

>Take notes. I'm not even kidding, one of the best things you can do for any game is take short little paragraph-or-two recaps of every session and post them somewhere accessible. It keeps track of trivia, plot, if someone misses a session it helps them catch up, it makes the GM feel like people are paying attention, and it might help pick up on some of the things your GM is actually doing.

>Show up on time. If game is at 6:00pm, don't walk in at 6:30. Don't walk in at 6:15. Setting gametime for X and watching players interpret that as X+30 is really fucking awful. It's rude, wasteful, and goddamn annoying.
$$$
>Buy the GM a copy of the rulebooks. Especially if you're all using pirate copies.
>buy food. They're sitting down to run shit for you, might as well feed them.

Dry hump him against the gaming table.

Buy him a videogame or something.

No, no I want to reward him. Not punish him.

Who knows, he might like it.

Even RPers have standards

Get his paypal and shoot him some money for pizza.

I give him a copy of the Critonomicon. I buy them up whenever I find them, so have a few on hand to give to DMs whose efforts I appreciate.

No I fucking won't. Send me your sister's nudes!

Pay for my food.

Write me a thank you note now and then.

Play characters that fit in with the setting, have motivations, and are kind of like decent people.

Also this post is 100% on point.

Get Veeky Forums and send him nudes.

>one year later
>"hey bro, check out my sick gains"

If you can't physically buy the GM a beer, candy, or give them a back rub, literally just talking about the fun you had would be more than enough.

We GM to have fun. If you're having fun, that makes us feel good about having fun. There's this one guy in my group that consistently talks about the high points of the night, and its just fucking awesome hearing about what I did from the player perspective and how it made their night.

Send him my nudes.

Can't you gift him roll 20 membership? Other then that, dox him, then Pizza hut swat him during his next session while he is GMing.

Roll20 premium is actually really cool lately, but idk if there's any way to gift it.

Literally thank him, tell him what you like.
The same goes for okayish GMs. Also tell them what you dislike.
The same goes for bad GMs. Also suggest what things to change.

Human interaction 101.
He might not appreciate it if you buy him stuff.

roll20.net/gift

Take the game serious
Show up on time, don't go off topic, keep your sheet and notes in order, and expect the other players to do the same. Cancel in time if you have to.

Get inspired
Make an effort to get into your character. Produce a journal, sketches, or research notes between sessions. Try and understand the tone the GM sets as best you can and embellish it with your character.

Be an active gamer
Use the moments the GM spends with other characters to keep up the momentum. Talk in character (without disturbing the game), review handouts, think of something sensible to do next. Don't take the GM turning to another player as a cue to take out your phone. In fact turn off your phone during the game. And don't get into TV, vidya, politics, etc. until after the game.

Give feedback
Tell the GM and the other players what you especially liked about the session, and what you wish could have worked better. Appreciate the effort that goes into preparation and game moderation.

Go all out
Offer to manage soundtrack during the game and ask the GM what they would like or if they have playlists. Offer to bring in game dinner or snacks the next session. Bring a prop that symbolizes your character, the genre, or the setting. Send IC letters to other characters off table. Document the campaign with IC recaps of each session. Decorate the game table with atmospheric lighting, fabrics, and props.

Be reasonable
Gaming is a shared experience. Be receptive to the ideas of the other players. Don't let personalities get in the way of the game. Don't defend some normative ideal but instead create an individual dynamic in concert with the others. Have fun, and make sure everyone else does as well.

If a gamer group really gets into it and everyone does their best to make the game as enjoyable as possible then everyone inspires each other and the whole thing becomes more and more refined as the dynamic unfolds over the career of a group.

Wear clothes that reveal ample cleavage.

Get his Paypal and buy him a pizza, or get his Steam ID and buy some games.

JFC user, it's not that hard.

After the game, just mention that you really enjoy playing their campaigns and that you think they do a good job. Seriously. Being a dm is a thankless job and when a player goes out of their way and says a simple thank you, it feels like you're on top of the world

T. Forever dm

Let this thread never die.

Not on my watch.

The hunt consumes all

Begone foul creature ! We already defeated your kind, you have no reason to be here
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39315078/

>some people have issues with expressing gratitude through money
I do. My issue is called I don't have money.

There are always the alternatives.

I'm sitting pretty on three copies, so I'm set for at least two "worth it" DMs, till I can find more copies.

>have trouble expressing their gratitude through cash
Yeah, no. You have my thanks and recommendation to others, i'll continue not being a shit player, i'll chip in for shared food, i'll not mark up your table, etc.
I'm an adult and i have bills to pay and luxuries i wish to afford. You want cash get a real job.

m8 I'm not suggesting you pay him, I'm just saying some people have moral issues, neither financial nor particularly logical, with using money as a "thank you" gesture. You don't have to agree or disagree, there's options in either case.

Though I would point out there's a difference between a not-shit player or an adequate player and a good player.

By the current slew of players being not shit is going above and beyond the call of duty.

I would want food, soda or gaming accessories like fresh markers or even a 50 cent d20 you thought was cool at the lgs.

Even more than that, though, I just want an honest compliment or even some real meaty background on your character.

Is your GM not shit, or is your GM good?

Players are like cats.

Kisses and hugs

What, specifically, does he do that impresses you?

Is his game management or writing really good? Does he do impressive extras like make more-than-shitty-sketch maps, or artwork, or writing? Is he really proactive in working with you OOC so you feel your characters can shine and grow? Is he really witty and charismatic? Is he a good friend outside of game?

I know sometimes it feels like the answer is quite a few things, but there's usually something specific that prompts thoughts like these in my experience.

Whatever the answer is, try to show your thanks and support in a way that's directly relevant to it - like if the GM impressed you with his writing, praise it and ask if you can share it with other people, or if he's really proactive with OOC coordination and collaboration do your best to live up to it and let him know it's really helped you invest in a game, that kind of thing.

I've bought every GM I've ever enjoyed playing with a game on Steam.

Depends on his mood and if we have decent players. If everyone's good usually shit went well like no one tried haggling food price like doing math on the worth of a pizza slice and paying just that rather than going equal shares or he didn't have to tard wrangle someone who wanted to go in the exact opposite direction everyone else did or something.
He's one of those types thats basically emotionally cold blooded where he lets his whole baseline be swayed by outside influence.
It's why i say if he's doing his job as a GM i'll do my job as a player amd we'll call it even.

>Setting gametime for X and watching players interpret that as X+30 is really fucking awful. It's rude, wasteful, and goddamn annoying.
Seriously, fuck these guys.

sexual favores

Nah. If i say X thats anywhere between X-30 to X. You miss that my doors locked and I don't answer my doorbell during gametime. I will however make sure enough windows are open to let them smell whatever i'm baking.

I don't know, man, the best GMs I've ever played under were just tolerably mediocre.

My players usually shout me food, but excitement and having fun are the best things (most) GMs could want. I was woken up one morning by a player messaging me:

>Him: So when's the next game? We're excited for it.
>Me: People ready to play tonight?
>Him: Four of us keen, probably more
>Me: Right then, tonight it is, spread the word

That exchange alone made me feel fantastic. My players excited as hell for the next game.

If you're excited for the next game, demonstrate it to your GM. You'll make their day.

I pay the pizza for him

The same way you show appreciation for anything, giving him a blowjob

My GM's a chick.....

Food, brews, etc.

Use your words, send him a private message telling him how you feel.

Eat her out, then.

I'd rather not. She has hygiene issues.

I don't understand willingly spending time with disgusting people.
I don't think that makes me elitist.
r-right?

Not those kind of hygiene issues. She just believes in the myth that the vagina actually does self clean and then decides the entire groin region is covered by the wordage.
i honestly worry its a fetish and she just has the good graces to keep clean and shaven elsewhere. I've known her long enough to not put it past her either.

THAT EXPLANATION DOES NOT MAKE IT BETTER

why do poorfags feel the need to shit everything up? We don't care you're fucking poor, you don't need to explain yourself.

Suck his dick

It does clean itself, but you still need to wash the labia. Excessive douching can throw off the vagina's ph