How would Veeky Forums write and direct a mid-2010s waifushit isekai anime loosely based on a medley of D&D editions?

How would Veeky Forums write and direct a mid-2010s waifushit isekai anime loosely based on a medley of D&D editions?

Like the old D&D cartoon from the early 80s, only with more self-inserts, waifus, and traps.

Other urls found in this thread:

myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=369867
docs.google.com/document/d/1EC4fQ7qW0dNveXRDD2UZsB2NXbyIpEm-jCtTjwBQH3I/edit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Sigil. Unironically.

>Sigil

Cool, Planescape isekai.

Is that a catgirl (male)?

Otherwise known as a catboy.

Like pic related.

>early DnD
>with the plot that's basically Romance of the Three Kingdoms
>scratch that, we Dynasty Warriors
>leaders are some fuckers from our world, one is the classic spineless jap self-insert who learns how to be a man
>kind and popular and shit
>the other one is a deliquent who learns the values of proper brohood
>despite the character development, he's still hellbent on conquest
>the last one is a naive and pampered girl
>a figurehead for her vassals
>after barely surviving an attempt for her life she becomes Daenerys 2.0

First season is great.
The second one becomes a slice of life triple harem series
until the last two episodes where faggot's waifu gets impaled by the assassin
with a weapon coming from a deliquent side
third season never

>Will this do?
Nope. Bigger!

How would you insert fluffy tails into this?

by inserting into fluffy tails

What the fuck is an isekai?

>literally expended 5X the effort as right-clicking and selecting "Search Google For"

>isekai
It's another word that's used to denote that an anime/manga/LN falls under the "Travels to another world" genre of bullshit. Sometimes it's fun bullshit like Konosuba (once you accept that it's a parody and let yourself have fun) but most times it comes off as shit like Outbreak Company.

>How would Veeky Forums write and direct a mid-2010s waifushit isekai anime loosely based on a medley of D&D editions?

80's style D&D isekai: entire game group teleported into the game setting. Including the DM, (who is now just a person, not the DM), at least one friend/gf/bf who was just there to hang out, and the dog. Players were ages 16-35.

Only what the DM had said in game counts, so he actually doesn't know what the real world's underlying metaplots are.

The otherworlders can basically gestalt everything, though they do need to gain XP in each class and practice each skill. I'd imagine a subset of 3.pf classes, sprinkled with some 4e-like AEUDs. No magical video game interface.

Their "current" PCs don't exist, but their previous ones do, and recurring NPCs. Old in-game allies react favorably to the otherworlders, within reason.

Running gag where the otherworlders keep giving the DM shit for having subtly introduced his fetishes to the setting. Eventually extending to even the locals saying shit like "I wonder who thought this would be a good idea" around him.

its portal fantasy

>isekai
You mean "fish out of water" genre?

A very good idea.

No, it's the escapist fantasy genre.

Like Narnia minus the allegory plus powerwank.

>escapist
It's not healthy.

wait shit I meant to attach this picture.
But yeah, it isn't healthy at all.

It would be funny to see an anime to start out as a typical isekai full of cliches (happy sunshine escapism full of fun, rainbows and powerwank) and then see it devolve into a "fish out of water" dystopia in the vein of Brave New World, as the main character discovers there's much more going on behind the scenes than he initially thought, and the whole "values dissonance" schtick.

...Actually, isn't that the plot of Shinsekai Yori?

That's actually a good idea. Some random (?) guy falls into a portal and gets into the Cage.

>Cage
>not Modron Maze

What's with the strange obsession with cross-dressers?

Also, Rem best girl.

>a guy falls into Modron Maze
>days later, finds an exit SOMEHOW
>everyone questions him about how he managed to get out
>he answers "I was just on my way to the kitchen to make a sandwich
>everyone asks him why is he here
>"I'm not a clever man"
fund it

Try Re:Zero.

Eh, I'm not a fan of anime/manga in general.
The storytelling is usually way too heavy-handed for my taste.
"Show, don't tell", and all that.

Re:Zero is relatively good when it comes to portraying characters and their development (or at least the MC). I wouldn't exactly call it subtle but it has some pretty powerful moments and deals with the "usless but loved shmuck as a hero" trope. It also has typical animu elements like the OP's trap catboy or twin meidos but you can't escape what you are, I guess. Either way, I would recommend to try it.

>isn't that the plot of Shinsekai Yori?
Wasn't it gay kisses and breeding of WMD?

>every Modron is a robotic, emotionless android waifu
>kitsune arcanoloth
>tsundere dog-girl hound archon
>loli halflings
>ditzy tanar'ri
Fund it.

>gay kisses
Literally bonobos.

>every Modron is a robotic, emotionless android waifu
>kitsune arcanoloth
>tsundere dog-girl hound archon

I already run this Planescape game.

Pardon the poor image scaling on the tokens. They look much more pleasing in their full resolution.

Here is what a canine arcanaloth from Gehenna would look like in one of my games, for instance.

And a more vulpine arcanaloth.

>real people in fantasy realm
>tech vs magic
>obligatory token trap

I remember you from some previous threads and I admit that it's what inspired my examples.

Is this through maptools? After playing Torment I really want to try out Planescape, been reading the rulebooks trying to figure out how AD&D works.

Since I am already to run two weekly, six-hour, MapTool-based Planescape games yet often find myself bored and with little to do in some hours of the day, I decided to start up a play-by-post Planescape campaign.

This is deliberately supposed to be a low-investment, slow-paced (minimum of only one or two posts per player per day, and the same rate applies to the GM) game that glosses over combat. If this sounds like an interesting diversion for you or for anyone you know, my recruitment post is here:

myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=369867

If you are interested in learning more about Planescape, you can consult the Planescape General threads I have been curating here:
docs.google.com/document/d/1EC4fQ7qW0dNveXRDD2UZsB2NXbyIpEm-jCtTjwBQH3I/edit

Nah. Needs to have spines.

You mean barbs?

Same thing. You know what I mean.

Still not quite sure. Would you mind demonstrating visually?

I have enough weird stuff on my google search history.

>tfw no arcanaloth waifu (male)

Why is Re:Zero so popular?

Because it's a "deconstruction". All you really need for a show to be popular these days is to label it as that, and then have it be dark. Because people think that's what a deconstruction is, just grimderp edginess.

I imagine the popularity of deconstructions has had to do with Madoka being named as one. Even though it really wasn't all that dark, at least relative to many other things, the general viewerbase decided that death=depth.

So Re:Zero's a perfect storm. It's got constant character death from Subaru, and plenty from others as well. It doesn't matter how well-developed the characters and story are, because it'll be labeled as a masterpiece just because people die and suffer. Couple that with the fact that it's an Isekai. That genre's exploded in popularity the last few years, but with bright, generally happy stories. "Deconstructions" are even more popular when they are of a genre that is considered to be bright and happy, again coming from Madoka's legacy here.

Now you have a large following, big enough so that anyone who tries to criticize is labeled instantly as a contrarian, no matter how valid their points of criticism may be.

I personally don't find the show to be terrible. It's highly overrated, but it's by no means straight-up bad.

Why do we live in an age of deconstruction = top rated media?

It's almost a given that people want to be seen as intelligent by others, and taste in media seems to be a big part of that these days. By throwing around words like deconstruction, people make themselves seem pretty smart. It also helps in defining themselves as somehow superior, separating themselves from everyone who watches the standard shows of the genre.

Furthermore, shows with a dark tone are seen as rare, what with the supposed destruction of the industry by "moeblobs" and the like. This adds another level of superiority to many people's minds, allowing them to look down on SOL and comedy,

Some of this is conjecture, but other parts of it are honestly what I used to feel. I once was one of those assholes who couldn't accept anything that wasn't dark and a "deconstruction".

And once more, this isn't to say that a show that calls itself or is called a deconstruction is automatically bad. It's just that popularity can get to be undeserved, and you can even have people jumping in just because they want to be seen as superior. I swear half the overall Madoka fanbase was and still is bandwagoners who want to look cool.

So basically we're cycling back into 90's ultraviolence again?

With a buttplug.

We never left, it's just been biding its' time until we're tired of the current shit before jumping back out at us and shoving its' shit in our faces.

Tell me more about githzerai waifus.

Dude if it is who is making the 12 - 15 anime fapbai threads we have gotten every day this week, please just give up and masturbate already

>githzerai waifu (male)

I have never included githyanki or githzerai in any of my games, primarily because it is nearly impossible to find good artwork for them that fits the art style I have in mind.

>outbreak company
>anything but AOTS
You have absolutely shit taste and you should feel horrible for yourself.

It's exactly why I'm asking.

>Re:Zero
>a deconstruction
Just because the show is self-aware, doesn't mean it's a deconstruction
A deconstruction would play around with or against the tropes of the kind of shows it's based on, but Re:Zero still actively uses all the cliches the genre is infamous for
>everyone loves MC in a matter of days because 'hes special'
>harem cast of overdesigned sluts who all crave his dick at the end of their character development
>generic fantasy setting is still painfully generic, with way too loosely defined systems of magic and ability
>MC is still has super special ability
All the show really does different is cast MC in an impossibly OP support role instead of an impossibly OP killy role, and have him angst about it

Oh yeah, and not know anything about the world until the character next to him immediately expositions about it to him (us) on the spot (which doesn't actually play in any way to his detriment).
Its a good show though

Big dick trap best trap

>
Oh yeah, and not know anything about the world until the character next to him immediately expositions about it to him (us) on the spot (which doesn't actually play in any way to his detriment).

But this is most D&D campaigns.

>How would Veeky Forums write and direct a-
Poorly.
The answer is "poorly", OP.

I do agree that Re:Zero isn't a deconstruction and that it is just self-aware and slightly more realistic. As in, it shows what would happen if someone behaving like typical isekai protagonist showed up and stirred up shit. BUT despite all the suffering and deaths and self-loathing the MC still stumbles forward and gets people to accept him. Only he actually has to work for that.

>Oh yeah, and not know anything about the world until the character next to him immediately expositions about it to him
This is the part that bothers me the most. Subaru's utter disinterest in knowing more about the world. I would much prefer big infodump than just rolling with it without asking about anything.

yeah, I've only seen the start but it's pretty much the opposite of a deconstruction.

It does everything in its power to make sure the MC isn't genre-savvy and only wisens up based on current events rather than watching anime of similar type, but more importantly it all focuses on the honest emotional reactions the MC goes through. It made it feel more, well, real.

Something to do hunting elves with /k/fags

>generic fantasy setting is still painfully generic, with way too loosely defined systems of magic and ability

Besides all the other things I want to say about your post, this one I find most interesting.

>World has an involved political and monster ecosystem
>Rich with history
>Lots of different racial types that are not common in most fantasies, such as beast men.

Why is this show "painfully" generic? Most of these things I rarely see in general. Something I would consider painful is anything Tolkein based.

And in that vein, what would you consider "non-generic"?

>Because it's a "deconstruction". All you really need for a show to be popular these days is to label it as that, and then have it be dark. Because people think that's what a deconstruction is, just grimderp edginess.
Thank you, Alan Moore and Hideaki Anno.

Because it is fucking excellent and entertaining.

Now shoo whiner

Uh, that's not the right text at all.

>types that are not common in most fantasies, such as beast men

Beast men are not common. Many stories are completely without any type of beast men races, such as cat grils, dog men, etc, etc. And this is even including things like kobolds or werewolves as beast men types that are there purely as enemy. They're honestly not that common at all.

Orcs, Undead, Goblins, Dragons, a large mammoth-like beasts tend to be the common element of fantasies.

One might be able to make an argument for common anime elements, like Cat Girl, but that's common to anime regardless of fantasy.

>everyone loves MC in a matter of days because 'hes special'
Everyone loves the MC because he's gone through meeting them many times and improved his understanding of them and how they react each time. He's not dumb. He's just a fool.

>>generic fantasy setting is still painfully generic, with way too loosely defined systems of magic and ability
You get most of the information which the MC has, which is not much.

>overdesigned
On a scale of 1-10 where 1 is One Punch-Man (ONE) and 10 is Touhou, it's about a 7. It's within normal limits.

You're forgetting that anime fantasy is based on D&D and video games, not Tolkien like most western fantasy.

Beastmen are extremely common.

Even within D&D, Beastmen are not actually that common except as enemy types, and even then, that's not typical of most non-homebrew settings. Especially when you consider the fact that even the common beastmen PCs were not added until at least 3rd edition, and that we spent 20+ years of the hobby under Gygaxian rule which was VERY anti-beastmen.

>Isekai

IT'S CALLED PORTAL FANTASY

WE'VE CALLED IT PORTAL FANTASY FOR YEARS

IT USED TO BE ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR SUBGENRES IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE FANTASY LITERATURE

THERE IS NO CULTURALLY SPECIFIC ELEMENTS TO JUSTIFY USING THE JAPANESE TERM AS OPPOSED TO THE TERM IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Im actually going to write an isekai. It's going to have a cute succubus roommate love interest. And MCs bro will be a full on viking.

Plot will revolve around manipulating the portals back and forth with Earth rather than a massive power trip.

Are you trying to get to sperg harder?

>kids these days and their rock snd roll music!
>western civilization is doomed with them at the helm, lazy good for nothings!
Can it, gramps. Be bitter and grumpy all you like, but do it alone in the corner, or I'll put you in a home.

>Not getting the Welcome to the NHK reference
Delete your account

Let be honest, the end result would be a mix of fetish fuel and a Michael Bay movie. And we would go to see it anyway because is our magical realm.

Is it a succubus (male)?

That's Final Fantasy Tactics reference, user.

Did I miss a joke?

A group of nerds find stumble upon a portal to a dnd-esq fantasy land in a cave out in the woods near their town when looking for a missing family member. Exploration of the other side reveals that magic and nonhuman races exist here, and they discover that monsters have been traveling through the cave in our world to abduct people and modern human tech.

After debating what to do about it, the nerds decide that they have to recuse the abducted people themselves, because they don't want to risk the shitstorm that would result from world powers discovering the existence of a world where magic exists. It would be world war three, man, but fought in our back yard!

A group of them mount up with all of the guns and "armor" they can get their hands on, a mishmash of larp armor, survivalist army surplus gear, and hunting equipment. Armed with modern human tech (including a radio) and their extensive knowledge of fantasy mythos, they go into the portal to find their friends.

The rest, who are either too scared or realistically unfit to survive an expedition to fantasy land, stay on this side of the portal with the other radio. If they lose contact with the adventure group and don't hear back, they have no choice but to tell the police/army about the gate before a goddamn orc armor or something shows up. Until or unless that happens, their job is to keep it secret. They also have the job of googling information requested over the radio by group A, such as "how to I reset a bone" or "how to exorcise a ghost" as needed.

Group A meets fantasylanders and acquires waifus, slowly running out of modern tech tools and ammo but picking up fantasy tools as time goes on to make up the difference.

just tp anyone to wh: fantasy and literally win an academy award

>all kinds of were-creatures
>Gnolls
>Lizardmen
>not to mention that in Japan, Kobolds are dog-men and Orcs are pig-men

Sure they're usually all enemies, but that doesn't mean they're not extremely common.

>Using foreign cultures as an example of commonality

I dunno if you know what that word means...

> exposing modern audiences to Warhammer Fantasy
> "Isn't this just Warcraft, but less fun?"

No offense but it sounds like youve never seen escaflowne or played shining force, any suikoden, final fantasy especially ivalice, and many other examples of beqstmen existing in eastern fantasy.

Its common as fuck to have lizardmen and dog people.

That could actually be pretty great. Modern nerds using trial and error monster fighting tactics to figure out what fantasy lore they know is useful and what is just hollywood bullshit, with guns buying them just enough advantage to survive their mistakes.

> Its common as fuck to have lizardmen and dog people.
As with most JRPG staples, that's a misinterpretation and bastardization of earlier western fantasy.
There's a very consistent time delay on things transitioning over, I think it's around 30 years?

I wish this meme would die.

Weren't OD&D kobolds dog people?

No.

Noooo.

But I am considering some body swapping shenanigans.

It's going to devolve into a massive power trip. Even if you don't want it to the genre demands it. The story will start writing you to make it happen.

I think that they were proper kobolds, therefore they had both dog and lizard features.

One of the earlier TSR editions describes something to the effect of "kobold faces look like dog faces".
An unofficial but widespread japanese fan translation borked that to "kobolds look like dogs".

>proper kobolds
>lizard

The whole thing feels like a direct response to SAO's hyper competent to the point of shattering the narrative protagonist. So they went the opposite route.

Take one absolutely worthless schmuck of a main character. This is the audience stand-in. The audience that likes isekai are also useless schmucks. Set up a grand prize girl who the MC adores. Now torture this MC. First you start with physical torture. He squeals and whines and might as well pisses himself as he's killed and then he comes back to life. If this character was Kirito it would only be a matter of time before he becomes a super badass with multiple lifetimes of experience doing shit. But he doesn't do that. He stumbles around, brute forcing situations to work because of foreknowledge of who people are and how they behave. He's got willpower and nothing else. He doesn't even have control of where he starts over again. He's not even allowed to tell people about his power.

Now move onto the psychological torture. Reinforce that the main character is worthless and has no skills of value. Make him experience failure over and over again. Scar his psyche with repeated deaths and then pick him up again and shake him. Yell at him that he's just faking his PTSD. That he's a little baby who's wasted his life on frivolity and that he deserve this. That his pain and his blood are the only means of redeeming his worthless life and maybe getting the girl if he's lucky.

>The whole thing feels like a direct response to SAO's hyper competent to the point of shattering the narrative protagonist. So they went the opposite route.
Consider this

They'd write it just like they write anything else: cringe-inducingly poorly.

I'd fill it to the brim with lolis