Why people call Tau the weeb faction? Because of mechs every race uses? Look at fucking Eldar

Why people call Tau the weeb faction? Because of mechs every race uses? Look at fucking Eldar
>shuriken catapult
>muh agility Naruto bullshit
>arrogant and delusional just like the japanese

>Why people call Tau the weeb faction?

Because GW explicitly stated they based Tau aesthetic and society around "manga" style Japan. They are the weeb faction because GW intentionally designed them to be.

Eldar are Tolkien Elves with heavy Chinese influences with regards to their society.

Mostly the mechs, because even though everyone has them the Tau's are the only ones looking like Gundams. Not to mention the sleek, clean design of their armor and vehicles. A lot of their tech would look right at home in a Final Fantasy game or a science fiction-themed anime. And of course there's their whole honarabru warrior caste thing.

People also say they're a Chinese government analogue. Their logic is Asian anything = weaboo, so the Tau are the only faction with an "Asian" government. But this is fucking wrong because Tau society does not function like the PRC in any way.

Because ALL of 40K is various historical cultures In Space. And the insipid pricks at GW know only the broad strokes of shit they were forced to learn in high school, the Teutonic wank they read on Stormfront, and the ass drippings that they absorb from the anime that's on in the background while they huff miniature paints and jack off on a pile of your money.

>never have Space Eskimos who live on Death/Crone/Warp worlds and take the fucked up galaxy in stride because at this point they find it comfy

>never any Abbo Eldar with fucked up Dreamtime shamans operating on actually alien logic instead of just another flavor of "just as planned"

>no Space Finns

>no direct democracies that are grimdark fucked up BECAUSE THAT'S HOW THE POPULATION LIKES IT...though the DE come close

Feels bad man.

Addendum, now that I'm not choking on my own sperg:

But you're right, the Eldar are just as weeaboo as the fucking Tau, just with vaguely Celtic/Egyptian/Chinese shit taped to the side so you won't hopefully notice.

What real life cultures do Dark Eldar, Tyranids, Necrons, Chaos and Rak'gol represent?

Not OP but Tau mechs don't look Gundamy to me, meanwhile Eledar's. I understand why Tau are the weeb though, they were the first on having humanoid looking mechs, is just that Eldar now are even more weeby

Because Eldar are to Japan as Evangelion is to Christianity.

>"There are a lot of giant robot shows in Japan, and we did want our story to have a religious theme to help distinguish us. Because Christianity is an uncommon religion in Japan we thought it would be mysterious. None of the staff who worked on Eva are Christians. There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool. If we had known the show would get distributed in the US and Europe we might have rethought that choice."

The Tau are literally Honorable Manga Robots. Eldar might have a ying-yang or two on the back of some robes but Tau are explicitly stated to be "not-gundams made to attract the weeb audience" by GW.

>arrogant and delusional just like the ________

Doesn't that apply to every faction that aren't Tyranids, and arguably da Orkz?

Eldar are Celtic Egyptians with a smattering of weeb

orks are supremely arrogant and delusional, just in a different way

You do understand bait is the only way we can have lore discussions get up to 100 posts?

Basic essay writing 101

>implying

Eldar are 90% Celtic and Greek, with some Norse thrown in. Egyptian, Chinese, and Japanese stuff is minor. There's more David Bowie in the Eldar than Japan.

How would you make a grimdark democracy though? It is easier to make grimdark autocracies holding everyone in line.

>How would you make a grimdark democracy though?
Real life America?

>Anno being a huge prick who goes over the heads of his fellow creators and makes broad generalizations

This guy will never stop being one of the biggest shitheads in his industry.

Most of the religious stuff isn't even Christian. If you actually believe that there's no parallels between the Kabbalah shit, the ascension plotline, and the general theme of becoming as a human being, you're delusional. It's not a religious message in that it doesn't actually make a theological argument, but it's all tied together.

You're right. They plagiarize pop-culture as well.

Dark Eldar - Same space weebs as Vanilla Eldar, but with someone's S&M fetish pasted on

Tyranids - Geiger Aliens that have been adapted for a wargame.

Necrons - Oldcrons: Terminators (as in the movies) Newcrons: Cyber-Egyptians (kind of surprised I have to point that one out)

Chaos - Christian Hell with a few concepts from A-level philosophy thrown in (the entire setting is the brainchild of Freshman Nihilism and Thatcher's Britain)

Rak'gol: Someone at GW fell asleep watching Dark Crystal while jacking it to a Predators comic

Arrogant for sure, but they're so simplistic I can't decide if they're delusional about anything. They just go where the fightin' is. Maybe there's the whole bit about "Orkses is never defeated in battle...", and "Orkz is da best." Yeah, on second thought, they're pretty arrogant too.

Dark Eldar remind me of Ancient Rome at the height of its decadence. The Spartacus TV series comes to mind, with a dash of Josef Mengele / Unit 731.

And I don't think Chaos really takes after a culture, so much as it is an ever present threat, kind of like barbarians to Ancient Romans. Maybe I'm thinking too close to WFB Warriors of Chaos, but there's a similarity in their function there, in that they're the "wild" humans.

A direct democracy is basically mob-rule with a few common laws enshrined. What those laws are inform the behavior of the citizenry.

>Centralized government that pretty much everyone agrees with because they won by popular vote. If it comes out you voted for the wrong guy, you're un-personed, hunted down, and killed/enslaved/tortured for fun (because grimdark just loooves its torture). You'd never know who might turn you in, so you go with the popular opinion like a self-imposed thought police.

Basically, imagine all of the emotional, illogical, and outright bullshit internet witch hunts that go on today, but with official backing from a government whose lives and power is at the mercy of the cultural status quo.

They're analogous in that they're authoritarian with no real dissent being tolerated. The Caste system also basically controls a Tau's life from the moment they're born with no true freedom also seemingly is breeding specific Castes to continually be good at certain things. Fire are the warriors, Air are pilots, Water are diplomats and merchants, Earth are scientists.

Supposedly some of the early developers were history buffs with degrees, but you're correct that for one reason or another they were mostly enamored with jacking off over Europe. No where better can this be seen than Fantasy where Bretonnia, Estalia, and Tilea all got representation of some kind despite being small as shit while Cathay, which was an empire as big as or greater than the Empire of the Old World, got nothing but vague mentions.

I don't get the connection between Christian hell and Chaos. I think it's pretty well known at this point that GW gnabbed Chaos from Moorcock and just changed enough around so that it'd appear different.

GW also didn't create the Rak'gol, they're a race someone at FFG created.

Came here just to post this.

The Wraith constructs look kind of distinct to me since they appear more organic and not robotic, whereas the Tau Crisis Suits are obviously robotic. The thing that probably helps to distinguish the aforementioned from something like Gundam is that the body proportions and possibly style aren't exactly human. Wraith constructs look more humanoid because of the organic factor and because Eldar are space elves.

Democracies could exist in 40k and not just get focused on. I think it may be easier to show more authoritarian governments or ones that are basically aristocracies in 40k because the Imperium is authoritarian and GW is a British company.

The PRC doesn't have a caste system though. They've officially persecuted people based on their heritage, but that's different than someone being born and the government going "Ah yes, you wirr be sordier."

Considered response to a butthurt sarcasm fest?...I'm out of my depth.

Though:

>Supposedly some of the early developers were history buffs with degrees

They must have left when the fetishists came on board and had any interesting tidbits grimderped out by retconns.

>Fantasy

I don't know nearly as much lore about Fantasy (for all my bitching, I'm addicted to this spurious shit), but my limited exposure to it through the MMO was more favorable than with a lot of 40K derp. Now that I finally have a computer that can play Total War: WH, I'm hoping to rectify my ignorance.

>I don't get the connection between Christian hell and Chaos.

I suppose it's largely from the imagery (horned demons, blasphemous sigils) combined with my ultra-Evangelical upbringing. Though GW does rip off a lot of the Princes of Hell thing from the apocrypha produced by Catholic scholars and Hermetic alchemists.

DAMMIT! Now I'm calm and not venting my unrelated problems through cussing on the internet. What have you done to me!?

I always thought Eldar (and Elves) were supposed to be asian analogues

That image, imagine being lost Eldar souls, saved from the dangers of the warp and slaanesh in soul stones, placed from the soul circuit into a Wraith Guard in order to fight for your people in death, only to be knocked out in battle, and placed under command of an Ork that has crudely mind linked control away from you.

That's true, though I've heard of the Chinese government taking an interest in possible athletes. I guess what I was trying to say is that the Caste system is authoritarian and that is something people think of when it comes to the PRC, even if the country has possibly grown more lax over the years.

Actually if anything the Caste system is vaguely Japanese where you're supposed to do what society expects and not rock the boat.

>They must have left when the fetishists came on board and had any interesting tidbits grimderped out by retconns.

Not really sure. If any of them left early I imagined it would be around the period when GW was actually being transitioned into an actual business and not a place where people got paid to just write and sculpt whatever. Granted I think the sculptors and writers still have freedom, it's just they have to stay within the lines that have been set down.

One thing I'll say about the grimdark in 40k is that it seemingly always existed. I can recall mention in one of the articles about the various SM organs that was originally included in WD and reprinted in the recent Index Astartes Apocrypha that in the current lore at the time there were so called test slaves whose entire purpose was to basically facilitate the creation of new SM Chapter from scratch.

Fantasy is nice for historical stuff and it having some realism in technology since it mostly takes cues from history. Again though most of anything to do with humans is going to be Eurocentric, unless you consider the Tomb Kings human, in which case you get Egyptian influences.

The only real daemons that remind me of stuff associated with Christianity is Khorne's daemons. Guess the sigil stuff too, but that could just be magic. I'll admit I never really thought of the Greater Daemons in the manner you suggest, but I suppose it's feasible now that GW begun to sort of order them.

Sigh.

High Elves were Atlantis analog. Ulthuan? Come on.

Eldar were just Space Elves.

>worship immortal god-emperor
>the highest honor you can achieve is glorious death in his name
>fan of melee weapons when you have guns
>supported by enormous walking combat mecha with melee weapons
>call other factions weeaboo

>learn math 1 and 1 bomb is end of war
Fucking savage.

>But this is fucking wrong because Tau society does not function like the PRC in any way.

Because Chinese civilization is fully defined by their government of only the last 70 years, and not the previous millennia of Imperial power and confucianism.

Tau are mecha and science fiction anime. Eldar are old school ninja and samurai anime.

This guy gets it. Eldar are based on old pagan human cultures, primarily European ones.

Neat

To be fair, dying for the Emperor as a result of trying to carry out his will is part of the Imperial Creed and only exists because the Emperor was anti-xenos and anti-Chaos. You also have the whole thing about the Emperor sacrificing himself for humanity and so every human should be willing to sacrifice themselves for him.

SM it gets a bit murkier since in addition they do have something akin to ancestor worship going on where they're trying honor their Primarch and their Chapter. The Emperor is arguably part of that since he was father to the Primarchs.

Find it kind of weird that Alarielle is included here.

She's filling in for Isha, couldn't find many pics of Eldar Gods.

Nine time out of ten when people call the Tau "Space Chinese" they're trying to draw parallels between the Tau and the PRC.

I mean the whole used bows, naturalistic, long living, spiritual, agile, magic-oriented thing just reminds me of the old stereotypes of the mystical orient and the 200 year old fumanchu looking guy

It reminds me of general old stereotypes about certain cultures that includes post-middle-ages descriptions of pagan peoples (and comparisons with our own former pagans), India as seen by early traders, and marginal euro cultures like the basques, the finns, and the celtic remnant in Ireland, Wales, Highland Scotland and Brittany.

As you are literally on a site where people discuss this with frequency, I expect 10 screencaps supporting this statistic, all timestamped prior to your post here.

>tfw the Squats aren't as much of a rip off as the rest

At least post the full thing mate.

MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU EVEN SOL INVICTUS?

The Tau and the Eldar are both space-shit.

Praise the Emperor.

>Eldar are Tolkien Elves
When the fuck did Tolkien Elves use shuriken pistols and teleport around the field like some bad anime with a low animation budget?

Eldar are not even remotely similar to Tolkien Elves.

I will give you that Tau are equally weeby. But of course, so are powerarmoured faggots, so the entire game is full of Weeb stuff. CSM could easily be the anime villians.

Really, Tyranids, human factions (Inquisitor, IG, etc.) and Orks are the least anime races.

Pretty much everything is weeb crap if you squint your eyes and look at it sideways. It turns out that Japan take inspiration from western aesthetics and vice versa.

Hobbies are cultural cauldrons with a bit of everything thrown in for the appeal of everyone. It just depends what fluff you focus on.

Orks can be as silly as Bluddflagg and Mr.Nailbrain.
Orks can be as serious as Grimskull.

>grimskull isn't silly

Nobody has done more to purge the ballot boxes than the Voter-Colonel.

The Dark Eldar represent the final result of atheism (no fedora allowed edition). They fell from their spiritual brethren and gave up on their Gods. They live only for themselves and believe only in flesh. Their technology is the best in the galaxy because they prefer to invest in the material universe.

The Tyranids represent the concept of "there's 1 race the human race" that is plaguing society today. Like the concept of racial unity, the Tyranids are a fairly new addition on the timeline. They didn't appear until the imperium (Christendom) was on its way into decline. The Tyranids represent a modern threat, not a historical one. They have no culture, they have no true society, they don't judge, they don't discriminate, they don't hate. They live to breed and eat and that's about it. Because this racial unity nonsense is a new thing, it is uncertain how many cultures and languages and ethnic groups (or even races) will be destroyed because of it. Similarly it is uncertain just how much of a threat the Tyranids really are. Just how many hive fleets are out there beyond the abyss?

Necrons are decked with a lot of ancient Egyptian themes but they are also heavily inspired by the movie Terminator. They are literally a "rise of the machines" in the galaxy and represent our modern dependence on technology and the bad route it can take. Their ancient Egyptian themes are deserved though, because they are older than the Eldar (historical pagan societies). The Necrontyr were also pagans, just like the Eldar.

Chaos is mostly generic devil worship. These are former imperials (members of Christendom) who fell from grace. The exception is the Thousand Sons, who represent the fall of Egypt to Islam (considered devil worship by Christians).

I don't know about the Rak'gol.

Well, by Ork standards he's not. He doesn't have any particularly comedic moments that I can remember. I guess you could count when he asked Titus if the invading Chaos forces were Titus' "new friends"? But as far as Orks go, he's definitely on the serious side.

>Eldar
>Tolkien Elves
>Chinese
Pick none

Eldar are just Warhammer Fantasy elves IN SPACE!

>I don't know about the Rak'gol.
Cybernetics and unchecked nuclear power makes monsters of men kind of thing. Give them a splash of space pirate trappings and you have the Rak'gol.

>no direct democracies that are grimdark fucked up BECAUSE THAT'S HOW THE POPULATION LIKES IT...though the DE come close

After Brexit, this one might feel too close to home.

>over 12 hours of school every day
Jesus fucking christ, no wonder I am stupid fuck failing at life. If I had Learnt this amount of disciprine I would have owned my country by now.

>America
>democracy
Really? As in for real?
If you want to see something vaguely resembling that better try Sweden, in all its grimdarkness.

>The Tyranids represent the concept of "there's 1 race the human race" that is plaguing society today. Like the concept of racial unity, the Tyranids are a fairly new addition on the timeline. They didn't appear until the imperium (Christendom) was on its way into decline. The Tyranids represent a modern threat, not a historical one. They have no culture, they have no true society, they don't judge, they don't discriminate, they don't hate. They live to breed and eat and that's about it. Because this racial unity nonsense is a new thing, it is uncertain how many cultures and languages and ethnic groups (or even races) will be destroyed because of it. Similarly it is uncertain just how much of a threat the Tyranids really are. Just how many hive fleets are out there beyond the abyss?
But the Tyranids are the best result possible for a species, and it would be wonderful if we could evolve into them. In the end the only thing that matters is survival of the species- for that is the only purpose of life, to breed and survive. To outlast all other forms of life, so that in the end there will only be Tyranids, and nothing else.

Because Eldar were old when the weeb phenomena and meme came into existence, it's was an easy label for the new badwrongfun faction.

Feel free to go clog tank treads with your corpse.

Hey, it's true.

Eldar are very obviously based off of elves from fantasy, in that they're a dying race, their long life, and that they were sort of inheritors of the galaxy only recently usurped by man. Their warrior ethos is a bit more similar to Japan, but sometimes you see farseers with a yin-yang symbol on their robes, and their runes seem heavily based on Chinese or Japanese characters.

>their runes seem heavily based on Chinese or Japanese characters.
Naw, they are a mix of Ogham "runes", Hindi patterns with a dash of kabbalistic shit.

Pretty much every odd half-understood "mystikk" thing big in the 70's tossed in a blender with a bucket of elves.

To be fair, at the end of the day WFB was a wargame, and was supposed to be set in a relatively small area - mostly the Old World in the Europe and Egypt analogs, and a bit of Naggaroth and Lustria, North and South America respectively.

Cathay never came into the picture because it geographically was never close to those areas that had the major factions, and the only human culture that had any real contact with them were the Arabians, who were also more fluff than anything else. Estalia is still only a fairly minor player in WFB - Tilea is only so well known because of all the mercenary regiments that come from there.

Fuck off, Squat lover. You were out of the picture decades ago.

>2016
>Squats
Kill yourself, you dorf memer

>Because GW explicitly stated they based Tau aesthetic and society around "manga" style Japan

You mean a mishmash of those horrid "How to draw anime" books.

>41000
>not Squats
I bet you don't even have an STC.

Who cares, weebs buy them anyway.

Tau's society is based on Plato's Republic. Therefore, they are either People from the Atlantis or Athenians.

Eldar are tolkiniean elves in the sense that they are legit superhuman beings (unlike D&D elves, which often have some sort of weaknesses when compared to other races even on individual basis), are basically immortal by human standards, and possess powerful magic.
Standard Tolkien elf aspects, with scifi tech added atop of them.

Didn't Plato's Republic only stipulate philosopher kings? I doubt it said anything about castes.

>Give them a splash of space pirate trappings and you have the Rak'gol.

more like "throw a gallon of Space Pirate into a blender without the cap on."

Also Yu'vath fuckery, which is NEVER a thing you want to deal.

>Eldar are just Warhammer Fantasy elves IN SPACE!

And those elves take very heavy influence from Tolkien-style elves. This isn't something unique to GW - pretty much every incarnation of elves in modern fantasy is at least somewhat Tolkien, as he pretty much is considered the fantasy "standard."

>Really? As in for real?

Actually, the US is one of the most democratic nations on earth.

The problem with US Democracy is that there are so many veto actors in American politics at the local, state, and federal level that it's extremely easy to block legislation if you really put your mind to it. This means that things like filibusters and backroom deals are extremely common occurrences, and small interests groups placed in the right parts of the political process can essential hold public policy "hostage" to a greater or lesser extent.

Compare this to say the UK - the UK is noticeably less democratic, but because the political process is ultimately controlled by specific non-elected actors who wield a considerable bit of power, it's much easier to push legislation through and implement new public policy. This means that the British people have more "confidence" in their government, because while their government is more autocratic, it is much more reliable and vulnerable to the tyranny of the masses.

TL;DR America is so democratic that it suffers from being democratic.

Hard to rip a culture off if your faction fit so poorly in the universe that they had to completely eradicate it from the universe via the Tyranids.

>I doubt it said anything about castes.

Ancient Greece was an EXTREMELY stratified society. Greek citizenship, unlike Roman citizenship, was a jealously guarded thing, and non-citizens were barely worth a citizens time.

>They are literally a "rise of the machines" in the galaxy and represent our modern dependence on technology and the bad route it can take.

That would be the Men of Iron or even some of the Mechanicum stuff that goes rogue.

You can draw similarities, but I think it kind of falls apart when you realize that the Necrons are previously organic beings who chose or were forced into inorganic bodies. They weren't created by another race as servants.

GW has actually done a decent job of making the Eldar and Fantasy's Elves distinct.

The area you describe is already half the Warhammer world in of itself. You also forgot to mention the Northern Wastes, the Darklands, and the Mountains of Mourn.

That last one is important because the Ogre Kingdoms reside there and the Ogres were not that much more geographically distant than Cathay was. In fact there was an equivalent to the silk road which existed in Fantasy.

Basically Cathay didn't get any attention because GW either didn't want to create or take the risk on a third human army (Fourth if you want to count Kislev) or didn't want to be bothered with Asian culture. The so called geographic distance is no more of an impediment to Cathay than it is the other races of Fantasy. You already had to stretch why certain armies would come into conflict like Lizardmen and Wood Elves or High Elves and Tomb Kings.

It wasn't that it fit poorly, it was that GW felt they had done a bad job of porting Dwarfs to 40k. They had taken a warrior race concerned with kin and craftsmanship and turned them into biker gangs.

First Past the Post voting and the 2party dominated system says otherwise.
t. Every Actually Democratic Nation.

Tyranids actually aren't very good. They just swarm everything like a disease. They are also a spiritual black hole via the shadow in the warp power. They serve a mutant slut norn queen too.

>>arrogant and delusional just like the japanese

>Le Tolkien is everywhere meme
Eat bullet

There are multiple Norn Queens

The Necrons had a much bigger impact than the men of iron or mechanicum stuff. You're right that the men of iron sound more similar to the Terminator storyline, but Necrons were obviously built around it conceptually and heavily inspired by it (along with tomb king's Egyptian theme of course). Had the men of iron beat humanity it wouldn't have mattered because the Eldar would have farted them to death as if they were nothing. Hardly a mechanical threat to the living. Necrons though, now that's a robot threat, regardless if they used to be flesh or not.

Yeah there's a lot of sluts.

Tau's caste system is based off India's caste system. This is pretty easy to figure out.

India's system:
Shudras - Laborers
Vaishyas - Merchants
Kshatriyas - Warriors
Brahmins - Priests

Tau:
Earth Caste - Laborers
Water Caste - Merchants
Fire Caste - Warriors
Ethereal Caste - Spiritual/Political
The Air Caste was originally a messenger and merchant class that is turning more into a warrior class. It's somewhat intermediary in nature.

Source: I'm that annoying Indian guy who used to spam "show bobs pls" in chat rooms. I recently learned that the correct word is boobs.