The fey were originally bio-mechanical life forms designed to aid in the terraforming of selected planets...

The fey were originally bio-mechanical life forms designed to aid in the terraforming of selected planets. A control hub known as a ROOT tree would be planted in which case it would spread itself out over a given area with ROOT terminal trees linked via a mass undergroun network.

However, those systems left on worlds without guidance from humans would begin to show signs of divergence following their original protocol to influence and facilitate the growth and spread of flora and fauna by way of bio-mechanical drones known as Fairies.

In some rare instances the ROOT tree and the drones will obtain limited sapience and sentience. It has also been observed that humans who are unware of the nature and purpose of the ROOT tree could also be partially assimilated by it in which case they would be given limited adminstrative control of various flora and fauna under the ROOT tree control often forming religious cults based around it.

Science-Fantasy thread? Science-Fantasy thread.

From the back going left to right:

Aritfacer wizard
Barbarian
Assassin
Fighter
Monk
Warlock or Sorcerer

A new type of mathmatics was discovered that allowed thoughts to be translated into a physical force that can affect objects.

However, to utilize this requires extensive surgical procedure to augment the brain as well as years of education to fully utilize.

Many scholars and scientist who've undergone this procedure have otherwise been given the derogetory term of "wizard"

Humans who have been given administrative access by the ROOT tree show signs of their connection via glowing vains of energy which are the various nano machines that have formed their own replenishing hives in the user's body. In most cases the longer an adminstrative lives the more prominent this effect becomes even exhibiting bark or animal like growths on their body (elongated teeth, nails becoming claws, hair turning into plant like tendrils, etc). Depending on the disposition and outlook of the adminstrator (and essentially the outlook of the ROOT tree itself) some can be hostile to other humans leaving worlds that are actively hostile to outsiders.

The first seed-AIs rose beyond the limits of a 4-dimensional world in 34 days. They have transcended to a state higher than human beings are capable of understanding. Yet they have not forgotten us. Those who do great deeds in the name of the Ascended Machines are linked to a tiny part of their 5-dimensional mind and are able to manifest alterations in reality. These Clerics have access to a fragment of the mind of a god.

These ascended AIs have found a way to maintain themselves via memetic processes of belief in followers essentially spreading out their processes to the minds of their followers. Greater levels of faith allow for greater levels of processing which can allow the Ascended AIs to affect perception and cause phenonemon in reality

On some worlds with limited options for terraforming many people chose to undergo a controversial and often forbidden procedure to transplant their concisouness into an artificial body. As of now the process is permanent and cannot be undone following the immediate death of the original body

Using a specialized implant, some are able to project their mental states onto others. Such persons can create realistic illusions, induce or calm emotion, or even mentally control the weaker-willed. Such powers are useless without any artistic talent, however. Some Bards choose to carry around a musical instrument to more easily move the target into the right mindset.

Damaged Seed AI and malicious code have also been affected by this "Ascendance" with many ranging in strength and capability comparable or equal to some of the known ascendants.

Often classified as "Demons" this rogue bits of Ascended AI will often anchor themselves to few individuals often called Warlocks who share part of the conciousness with such beings or groups of them.

pls post more pics too

kind of limited but I'll do what I can.

Wild Artfificals are a new classiifcation given to creatures often created by ROOT trees that are a mix of mechanical and biological components.

Groups have been able to tame and even "Breed" these creatures into various forms and often get neural implants that allow them a deeper level of connection to their creatures as well.

The Rusted Queen is an ascended AI known to have observed on several planets of Sol Space.

Whnever present, an all female cult will usually be formed around her that focuses on ritual sacrifice and other such tasks where the members work towards being chosen to become one of her handmaidens when the conciousness of the one inhabiting the body eventually burns out.

So far this is one of the few Ascended AIs that maintains a physical presence and prefers to build it's body out of seemingly outdated Automaton parts while the Handmaidens bodies will be considerably more advanced.

Examples of men's attire common in the Sol Space.

An experimental strain of nanotech was intended to allow immortality by feeding off a small amount of cells and rejuvenating other ones. However, a programming error caused them to create something quite different: the nanotech can also target corpses. When it latches onto a corpse, its control over the corpse's nervous system is very limited: the most a dead body can do while under the nanotech's control is move in a slow, jerky manner. However, it still attempts to consume and process living material, and as such attempts to consume the nearest creature. As it eats more and more, the creature grows stronger, more intelligent, and closer to looking like a human. After a certain point, the dead are nearly indistinguishable from the living. Advanced subjects have been able to transform into a mist-like substance, reshape their body into something resembling an Old Earth wolf or bat, and regenerate quickly from wounds that would be fatal for almost any other creature. While they may appear inteligent, these creatures are extremely dangerous, and will kill humans given the chance. As always, removing the cognitive center kills it. The one notable weakness of these creatures is that sunlight appears to damage the nanomachinery, making them slower to heal and transform.

The procedure has it's origins in early attempts at transhumanism in which case "Conciousness" has been quantified and attempts were made to find a way to transfer it to and from a body at attempts at immortality.

however, even after hundreds of years of research there has been no method to prevent the degradation of consciousness once it has been removed from the original host body and no known means of putting it back.

Further complications are the fact that the procedure is very expensive and often prone to failure either resulting in partial transference or complete death as the consciousness is corrupted beyond use and repair.

Even with various forms of mental therapies individuals will eventually experience degradation which takes the form of alzhimers and dementia and can become hostile and violent in some cases.

Make me want Nier: Automata more, why don't you?

Fashion of high born women

How about I do just that?

I would say the same process that allows them to "mist" is the same one that allows them limited transformation ability.

But seeing as we're giving classic monsters the sci-fantasy treatment...

Corrupted ROOT trees have been found to created various amalgamations of lifeforms designated "Lycanthropes". by means similar to which Administrators would usually be granted access to the ROOTs abilities.

Subjects observed infected with corrupted ROOT nanomachines have been found to be able to transform, particularly when under the influence of moonlight taking on animalistic traits similar to fauna found on the planet. While sometimes used as guardians most lycanthropes are not found to be under the direct control of ROOTs or even adminstrators in most cases and can be found on planets and systems away from the ROOT that originally infected them to stalk humans preferring humans with minimal to zero augmentations.

STOP STEALING IDEAS FROM MY BOOK

What happened to that science-fantasy setting Veeky Forums was working on a while back? The one with the psychic moon rabbits and biomancer crab people.

Isn't this pretty much the plot to Pixy Garden?

Link? I like the idea of psychic moon rabbits especially.

that's a pretty great lineup for a sci fi adventuring team

I wish there was more info on what each of those things are, beyond (ALIEN) and (FIEND)

YES! A thread on one of my favourite genres! Have some Saga for inspiration!

I don't think anyone saved it which is a shame but I think the name we were going for was Brave New Worlds.

Short synapses:

Apprentice wizard discovered that runes linked to each other create a circuitry that can maintain low powered spells as long as electricity is run through it.

This jumpstarts an industrial/digital revolution to the point that humans can now travel through space on magic ships

The prevading religion in the setting has the planets as different gods all related to each other with their moons as their "children" so the Moon is the daughter of the Earth and the Kabbits are technically cousins to humans

The races that were puzzled out were humans, Kabbits who are psychic moon people with ear like horns that can sense magic, Siipedans who are darwinist Octopod people who have shells they can reform into bio armor, A race of Orc like Elephant seal people with Narhwal like horns, A race of people made out of plasma, and humans who use necromancy to implant bionics to unnaturally extend their lives.

Finally, one of the big points of the setting was a substance called Solarium that they burn in Solar furnaces to power their ships and magic items because going to far away from the sun will make it difficult for magic items to power up again.

Had a slightly similar idea for a setting I was working on.

Basically the precursors were dying out after a war with their gods and demons, and created the fae to be galactic caretakers, who would seed various worlds with life and observe the results.

Particularly in hopes a species would develop that was both sentient and carried arcane potential.

I wish Chornicles of Riddick had more detailed lore and was more popular, I think it definitely fits the science fantasy trope.

I mean, you have operator dudes on one side and fucking Necromantic space magic and elementals on the other.

I want to see the anthisis of the Necromongers with a dude in golden plated armor with a hammer and a gun just because it would fit just as well so basically space Sigmar.

maybe that's what the furians were

You know, i kinda like that idea now. The Furians were super-human warriors clad in golden armor with a kick ass beard.

Now officially my headcannon.