Ok Veeky Forums, what is the proper way to do chaotic neutral?

Ok Veeky Forums, what is the proper way to do chaotic neutral?

1: stop shackling yourself to specific moralities and have someone who actually has motivations that aren't necessarily set in stone but also makes the guy do various different actions.

2: stop playing D&D

Using alignments as anything but a mechanic for interactions between spells or equipment is silly. They shpoukdnt shackle or define your character.
Also, maybe this...

1. Only worry about yourself and a few close friends and family
2. Don't have a set way of doing things or strong principles.

Neutral=/=Dick
Chaotic=/=Lolz Randum

The proper way to do any alignment is the following
Step 1: Create a character that fits your setting as though alignment didn't exist
Step 2: Ask yourself whether your character believes
A: Laws and the rule thereof helps more than it hurts
B: Hurts more than it helps
C: Helps as much as it hurts.
Then ask yourself if your character believes in
X: Trying to help everyone
Y: Trying to help themselves
Z: Trying to help those close to themselves.

Congrats, if you answered BZ, your character is Chaotic Neutral. Go now, and live in peace.

Would Tom Bombadil be considered CN?

>anti-alignmentfags shitting up another thread about alignments
This would be me shitposting in the 40k general when I don't even play 40k. Grats on making this board a great place though.

>how do I do thing?
>don't do thing and also you are stupid for wanting to do thing
This is why people don't invite you to parties.

Welcome to Veeky Forums
No one plays any of the games, but everyone has opinions about them that they're dying to tell you.

It's why the best threads are about media that deals with fantasy or sci-fi subjects. They don't actually involve traditional games of any kind.

Man Logan has become increasingly smug and unbearable since the 90s, where he was already shitty.

Fuck Wolverine. A trash character orbited by significantly more interesting people.

But he has a beautiful singing voice in The Miserables.

Wade your first appearance was attacking the X mansion. You know, the School for Gifted Youngsters

did someone actually write the 'kill a kid to save the world' dilemma here?

Pretty much this. You're a wild card who lives by only a few rules, but you're always looking out for the rest of the party.

It's not that anti-party characters can't be done in D&D, there's just a thousand and one ways they can be done wrong. If you're not really skilled and experienced as a roleplayer, just don't try.

>'kill a kid to save the world' dilemma
It's not all that uncommon when some chucklefuck writer decides to have a child villain in an otherwise serious story.

See: Robocop 2. Spriggan.

>Ok Veeky Forums, what is the proper way to do chaotic neutral?

There is no such thing as "the proper way to do" an alignment.

Chaotic Neutral is not a character type, nor is it a moral code, nor is it a personality. It is a broad and vaguely defined category of characters who are mostly uninterested in the cosmic struggle of good and evil and would largely like to see it all torn down.

A grim-dark mercenary who only cares about himself and where his next bag of gold is coming from could be CN. A wizard obsessed with forbidden secrets from beyond space could be CN. A political agitator who wants to tear down the monarchy and eat the rich could be CN.

There can be any number of interesting characters who are Chaotic Neutral, but if you ever start by actually describing your character with "s/he's a Chaotic Neutral ______," then it's not one of them

>How do I do x?
>>You simply can't do x. I recommend you use an alternative instead.
I don't see how that isn't a viable solution to your problem. Also, no one called you stupid. I don't know where you got that from.

In one of my earliest rollplaying experiences i once played a chotic neutral character, a shapeshiftet no less. Later after hearing so many horror stories about randumb characters on Veeky Forums I actually went and asked some of my friends who had also been in that campaign just gow cringeworthy I'd been.
To my surprise they'd actually enjoyed my character and after a bit of discussion we figured out what it was that made him an enjoyable character;
Simply put instead of working against the party or just doing random shit he worked like a monkey's paw. I always worked towards the party's goals just in the flashiest most chaotic way possible.
>need a distraction? Time to impersonate a guard and raise a lunch job against whatever random looks like they can run fast.
>Raised by wolves zero social skills ranger character feeling lonely? Time to pied piper an orphanage for them.
Need to disrupt the big summoning ritual? Some improvised explosives when things seem glowiest should work.
Etc.

Now post the next page.

It actually turns out that Deadpool hasn't cashed a single check since he started working with them

This is by far the best answer

it was less a "kill a kid to save the world" and more a "kill a kid, we already know hes going to be bad"

it's less a "do I switch the tram tracks to kill 1 or 6 people" and more a "do I kill baby hitler even though he hasn't done anything yet"

thats a neat comic and all but this is Veeky Forums not /co/ you cunt

Play Chaotic Evil instead.

>it's okay to kill someone over 18
>BUT REALLY BAD IF THEY'RE UNDER 18
Way to go with that logic there blue Deadpool

mutants aren't people so it's okay

That's why I said to post it.
Kinda changes the whole tone of the scene.

I think in context the kid was under 12.

but it should be the other way around, with alignment giving you a more or less defined orientation point for roleplay.

alignment as an actual game mechanic only works out if you go by the RAW description in the game which may stop making sense if you look too deeply into it.

i once changed the lawful-chaotic axis to lawful-unlawful

just changing the wording resulted in players stoping being lolrandumb but rather played the rational anarchist.

i once replaced g/e with an altruistic-sadistic axis.

the point is, due to bad or ill-defined wording, people often mistake CN as playing deadpool

The best example of someone that was CN (that wasn't playing a "I do whatever is convenient for the player at this time" twat) was a pc warrior that was very much about doing their own thing, for their own benefit.
She wouldn't dick over the party, per se, but if there was a course of action she didn't agree with, she would pursue her own that she felt was better (and was right a few times). She clashed very much with my paladin, who was a very measured, orderly type who hated surprises, unforeseen situations, people he couldn't read, and people who didn't accept their place in the order of things.
It was actually a lot of fun, and led to a lot of roleplay.

This

You look out for you and yours

Also you don't default to being the most horrible person

Nope.

If you insist on playing a system where the good eveil law chaos axis exists, then keep them as mechanics sure, because they are apparently universal forces in that cosmology.

But being forced into a tiny RP box by it or being punished for "playing g your alignment wrote g" just reeks of bad DMs who are more interested in making paladins fall and players die of septic shock for not declaring "my character poops."

>How do I hammer in this nail using a screwdriver?
How does it make me an asshole to suggest hammers exist?

It must take a lot of work to be that dumb

I'm a fan of this style if the character has some kind of goals or loyalties.

>Those guys just robbed that man and dropped a sack of gold as they escaped!
>eh, lucky me I guess.

You see this guy?

Like that.

However, if you need to ask this question, you probably shouldn't play D&D.

Forgot pic.

Basically this,
You do what it takes to survive.