So Veeky Forums, how do I use pic related in a game without him just being a walking TPK...

So Veeky Forums, how do I use pic related in a game without him just being a walking TPK? I want to put the fear into my combat-wombat players and teach them that there are some problems that can't, and shouldn't, be solved with violence.

Who's this chump?

>teach players that problems can't be solved using violence by using someone who is better at using violence than them

Yawn.

That's not how you teach them that there are some problem's violence can't solve.

Saint of All Killers, from Preacher. He's the ultimate edgy gunslinger that can kill anything. He kills God later on.

Well, he's either going to kill your entire party with no survivors.

Or kill whatever it was your party was sent to kill, thus invalidating the need for your party to even be there.

Wildcard; he kills everybody.

>That's not how you teach them that there are some problem's violence can't solve.

So? Advice?

What's the party composition?

A lot of problems will allow them to still think laterally, through violence.

>The people are starving?
>Use violence against rich people to get money to buy them food or violence against animals to literally turn them into food

>The door is trapped/locked? Use violence to force the thief to untrap it/unlock it

etc.

And as far as D&D is concerned, they're not wrong. But these are very narrow scopes. The problem is compounded if it's magic heavy, because then the flowchart generally goes

>Can I solve it with violence? If Yes, do it, if No ->
>Can I solve it with magic? If Yes, do it, if No-> Why? Why can't I solve it with magic?

Just give them problems that violence doesn't solve.

If you want to outclass them in combat just have a character that set up am awesome ambush.

Urban Fantasy campaign. Players consist of the first man, a gargoyle, a formerly drowned wizards apprentice and a former cop turned escasped felon.

The game was supposed to be a mystery/horror campaign, which is what the players wanted when they signed up. But so far every issue they've come across has been solved by the continuous and violent application of force. No attempt to think through problems, to try diplomacy or just avoiding combat.

What confuses me is that this is a problem that's only occurred in this game. The group is usually fine. I don't know if they just need some cathartic release or if I'm doing something differently but it's confusing the shit out of me.

That just encourages them to be more paranoid and ambush other people.

What are some problems that violence can't solve?

>I want to put the fear into my combat-wombat players and teach them that there are some problems that can't, and shouldn't, be solved with violence.
Instead of building a grudge-monster, I suggest using a system that actually supports this idea.

I gave my players one session of an OSR dungeon at level 1. They ran away from the dungeon with a newfound non-ironic fear of skeletons.

>Just give them problems that violence doesn't solve.

They tried to solve the problem of class discrimination by killing all the upper class.

> I suggest using a system that actually supports this idea.

The characters are by no-means killing machines. They lose most of these fights. One character has died so far, another one has become a wanted criminal because of it.

I thought the group didn't give a shit and were just taking the piss, but they've demonstrated a sincere interest and appreciation for the game.

They just...want to fight everything.

That'll technically work if they're successful and keep at it.

These niggas wanna play Urban Fantasy Berserk where they struggle against causality.

Have you tried explaining these ideas to them OOC?

And may I ask what game? Some games reward players for trying to kill everything, while some clearly put the emphasis elsewhere.

Then show how that creates more problems.

>And may I ask what game? Some games reward players for trying to kill everything, while some clearly put the emphasis elsewhere.

FATE.

I have. They don't seem to care.

>Have you tried explaining these ideas to them OOC?

Honestly, I'm kind of scared to.

Like, at the end of the day the important thing is that they're all having fun. Which by all means they seem to be. It's just such a stark difference to their normal state of affairs that it's jarring.

Bump for help or advice.

Then give them a problem that can't be solved with violence. Not 'This is a problem that could be solved with violence but you do't have enough of it'.

>Horror Campaign
>I want tomise the Saint Of Killers
I'm going to go out on a limb Jere and say this isn't your forte of genre. From myt own experience, players only default to forced violence if the DM isn't throwing them a bone and the game feels super damn slow.

>I don't want to talk to my players
That's the real problem friend.

The game seemed to have been going well and they were enjoying the horror element, from what they've told me.

No one has complained about the game being slow, and it seemed to have been going pretty decently before hand.

The game has gone a long way off kilter since then. I'm starting to think horror games are better for one-offs than for campaigns.

I think pulling off horror on the long term can get daunting and players who were used to being powerful quickly resent the constant threat, if nothing else they want to try and take matters into their own hands. But horror as a game should be a little more subtle and if you want the immortal god slayer saint of death to show up, there's a real issue both with the way ypou approach the genre and the way players are reacting to it.

Talk to them about it.

SoK is too much of a force for a ttg. He's pissed at everything and just wants to rest, and the only way he could is either kill everyone and everything, or kill God, who was responsible for his permanent hell that even Satan found too much

Drop him in WoD, since his instakill gun doesn't work on vampires.

Every other scenario is fucked though. That's the problem when you have a deus ex machina character whose power is "cannot be killed or even injured under any circumstances, and can kill anyone and anything except himself and vampires." I mean, thw guy killed the God of Abraham with a goddamn revolver.

Welp, I spoke to my group Veeky Forums and apparently the problem is all in my head.

Everyone is really enjoying the horror game, and it seems that resorting to violence has been their go-to reaction on how to deal with scary situations. But because the violence hasn't really solved anything, it's actually amped up the horror for them.

Apparently they love making things worse by fighting it.

Go figure.

Awesome.

Next encounter, give them Cthulhu with boxing gloves.