Have you ever had the opportunity to befriend a monster in a campaign...

Have you ever had the opportunity to befriend a monster in a campaign? I really want to give the "of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human" speech for a fallen cool guy at least once.

Good meeting, everyone.

Yup

Kobold

And a goblin

Looks like a Great Old One Warlock and his familiar. What kind of twisted evil shit could a blobfish bring to the table?

Ah Heap, a beholder that could conjure any food it wanted for itself.
We recruited it into the tavern's chef.

Big wet kisses

Kobold that speaks common or an intelligent Orc with a shit wisdom score.

Talk in a deep voice with british accent and make snarky comments.

Kobold. Our smarmy Halfling stabbed him to death in his sleep

An Ogre. We had him off-tank for us and after several battles, released him into the wild, at my (the Paladin's) behest.

You mean pigmy aboleth.

I tend to get opportunities to befriend male drow and other conventionally attractive beefcakes in our current dnderp campaign. I think the DM is trying to out me as a faggot because I keep taking over his worldbuilding efforts and dismantling his poor attempts at GoT.

The bard once succeeded his knowledge check and managed to communicate with a nest of giant, intelligent peacock spiders through dancing. Does that count ?

Nope.

All monsters are all hostile all the time.

One Quarter Portion

The party befriended a wandering pilgrim that turned out to be a werejackal.

By the time they realized it, she and the party's LG Rogue were rather intimately involved.
They killed her under his protests and the GM on about how it could never work because irredeemably evil.

That's what I get for having to work I guess.

If you have to wrap your character's adventure and decisions around already prepared, edgy speech, you're doing something wrong.

I befriend every monster I come across in my campaign.

I'm like playing a fucking Care Bear in World of Darkness.

>Care Bear in the World of Darkness.
>How even live?

>high int low wis

Edgy?

Those stock photos keep getting weirder and weirder.

I basically found a silent hill lying figure, a humanoid monster with no arms or face. While fighting, I slashed open his chest and hand of bone and muscle reached out at me. I became fascinated with it. So I tied him up and took him with me. During our travels he became attached to me and I to him. Who doesn't want a monster friend to dress up all fancy.

>Having an overall gaming "would like to do list" automatically means you are designing entire characters around individual entries
????

Not really befriending but we managed to knock out a young white dragon unconscious barely. After that it started to follow us around on it's own accord, helping whenever we are in danger.

This campaign is weird.

Does it have a dick?

No dragon fucking here user.

you done better have murdered the fuck out of the halfling for that shit

you don't dog your mates

Disappointment, just like you

I'm gonna ride the dragon

Campaign is a crossover of sort which I tend to get heat for on Veeky Forums for some reason, though it's still the favorite campaign of my players who do play with other GMs.
Monsters are often recruitable as a direct result of this, because if you're fighting a relatively intelligent monster that's not all that evil and you offer him some food which is sometimes even said to be a way to tame it in one of it's source game (see dragon quest.) there's no way you're not going to make friends.
Some other monsters are way less recruitable, and either have "motivations" or more simply needs that directly contradict following the party or quite simply weren't portable, compassionate or smart enough for the approach tried to work.

My pathfinder hobgoblin knight managed to capture and enslave a goblin through intimidations checks.
He also managed to duel, disarm and render helpless another hobgoblin cruel priest of lamasthu who saw fitting to join my goblin warband.

>While I was DMing, I had an intelligent and relatively tranquil half-ogre live on the place where a magical fire tree grew.

The half-ogre was territorial, and the tree was needed to be used in a magical ritual.
>Against all expectation, the female kobold sorceress of the group went to the ogre alone and after a while made a promise : they would leave this country and find another fire tree.
>After the ogre made the kobold her "blood sister", they left the country without having to fight.

Sure, the kobold is out of the game, but the kobold player already have some idea for a new character. Something tells me he wanted to find a way to make a new character.
The picture is pretty touching though : a big burly half-ogre who thinks a "little dragon" on his shoulder will lead him to another fire tree he could call home.

Our Paladin managed to convince an Owlbear to come with us. He healed it after we found it dying in the forest, and he would feed it and nurse it back to health. The party thought it was a bad idea (for good reason, it's a god damn Owlbear).

The thing ended up saving all of us during an encounter. The paladin later had it become is divine bonded mount.