Random village hires several groups of adventurers to exterminate an infestation of kobolds nearby

>Random village hires several groups of adventurers to exterminate an infestation of kobolds nearby
>You're part of one of those groups
>Claims that the kobolds have been abducting children
>Kobolds are confused why outsiders are banging down their door
>Claim they've been adopting orphans, giving them food and shelter in exchange for manual labor
>Further claim that the village would just let the children starve and rot under the noonday sun

Wat do?

Kill the kobolds and the children. Tell the village that the kids were already dead when you go there.

That way you get paid and the kids dont suffer.

Ask the kids.

Investigate further to find out the truth.
If Kobolds are telling the truth, check on children's conditions. If they are well fed, happy and not overworked, let them be. If they are mistreated, bring them back to the village and organize an orphanage there.

If kobolds are lying, and the villagers do care for orphans, kill the kobolds and bring kids back.

If everybody is lying. Kill everybody.

>That moment when you realise that kobolds are simply what human orphans turn into if neglected and abused
>The villagers want you to wipe out the kobolds so they can go on pretending they're good people

This is fun, I like this idea.

Though I think there is something somewhere where this is what goblins are..... i cant remember though

Manual Labour?

Knowing the importance Kobolds attach to working very, very hard, that sets my slaver-sensing antennae twitching and I would be very suspicious.

Ask the kids.

Replying to myself

Hobbes in the Fable universe started as lost kids. That might be what I was thinking of, but im sure there are more.

Investigate further.

If the village doesn't give a shit what happens to these kids, why are they hiring expensive adventurers to get them back? I smell shenanigans.

I was hired to exterminate kobolds, not to take care of ophrans. So... kill kobolds, bring children back, try to convince citizens to pay up more since kids are alive.

"I don't want people to think I'm not as smart as a kobold, but learning Draconic is really hard!"

"I don't get a lot of the things the elders tell us about Bahamut and Tiamat."

"Auntie Kurgell makes meat pies that taste so good, you hardly think it's rat!"

Learn to read. They are hiring them to:

>exterminate an infestation of kobolds

>in exchange for manual labor
Are children really stronger than kobolds?

They seem fine.

Too fine.

Kill them all, it's a doppelganger village!

really?, that sounds really cool, I never heard of it before.

now because of you I'm going to expend my whole friday searching for more shit like this.

I assume the children have the strength of numbers or something

Unless the presumption was that you would save the kids, and that you would have gotten little to nothing or some kind of pay cut if they were dead and you could have saved them.

I just feel like it would be a hard sale, although some "Face" characters are convincing. Best not let the Warrior do it or the party might be politely but firmly asked to be gone before sundown and thrown exactly the agreed upon sum.

I'm most impressed that the kobolds can string together coherent sentences like this. They're probably doppelgangers.

Yes.

You bring children back. Peasants gladly accept them, but they tell your noone of the village children are missing, they even didnt know that kobolds have those children enslaved. You all agree to send messengers to other villages and towns to ask if there any missing children.

They are not children.

>The Paragon's answer

>"Face" characters
>Best not let the Warrior do it

Do people really still roleplay cliches?

Whole Mountain IS doppleganger. So old and acient so he stops eating occasional travelers and starting to wait until whole undeground kingdom are formed inside.
Now i want this in dwarf fortress.

Why would it really need to be a doppleganger to eat people, rest of the idea seems really fun though

This can be simbiotic relationship. Small creatures can remove gold, diamonds and other byproducts of its life.

Doesn't necessarily have to be strong labour. They could be doing cloth making, mushroom harvesting.. stuff that requires hands and a brain but not muscles.
There's dozens of things that need to be done to keep a village going after all.

Literally the selling point of kobolds.

Raid and plunder the village. Duh.

>Find another village
>In 20-30 years previous village will be old and decrepit from not having enough children to replace aging population
>Bandits will come through as a result
>Aging population goes to you for help against new bandits
>Profit

Open a dialogue between their leaders and arrange that the two meet to figure out the situation. Act as a mediator in the discussion. Get to the bottom of the situation. There's clearly more going on than either side is telling, but a mutual understanding could benefit both sides.

They're obviously lying. That's all the little shits do. Slaughter them all and return the children.

But seriously, ask the kids that were allegedly kidnapped.
Then do as thou wilt with the village or kobolds depending on the answer.

No Chaotic Evil reply? Ok i guess i'll give it a go.

Convince the Kobolds to give you the children so you can find them homes among their kind. Take the children into the forest and kill them and behead them. Take the children's heads into the village for the reward claiming that they are the Kobolds. When the protest kill a few of them accusing them of trying to cheat you on a deal. Bully and terrorize them till they give you the money they owe you with extra then leave them with the bags of children's heads and a deep mistrust of future adventurers.

A village leader is supposed to talk to some monster? Yeah, that's clearly going to happen
Some other group of adventurers is going to do the job

Yes. If they want the situation resolved and if the rolls to convince them both are high enough.
Failing that, HURRR DURRR KILL EM ALL COZ IZ DEEEUNDEE HEEEE

In 6 years when the village is infiltrated by human saboteurs speaking Draconic and subsequently ethnically cleansed, you'll be far away rolling dice for some lich's magical underpants.

>Pickman's Model
Now I have a good plot hook for my next campaign.

Ask the kids

Ask the villagers

In 6 years when the village is infiltrated by human saboteurs speaking Draconic they'll deserve it for not taking proper care of their orphans. Don't they know that orphans are the number 1 source of cliched heroes?

>Random kobold settlement hires several groups of adventurers to exterminate an infestation of humans nearby
>You're one of these groups
>Claims the children have been abducting kobolds

this goes so far into Murder-Hoboery that it becomes brilliant

I ask my goddess what I should do