Are there any mini wargames that handle armored combat in a way that doesn't suck horribly?

Are there any mini wargames that handle armored combat in a way that doesn't suck horribly?

I'm a bit of a tank nerd. If I had my way, I'd actually like to play a more pen-and-paper long-session focused game involving tank combat; I think that could be really cool, but I don't know anyone who shares that feeling, so instead I'm trying to find a wargaming system to play with friends to get that tank fix. The problem is... all of them suck really, really hard.

The most common problem I have is morale rules- say, for instance, one of your tanks gets hit but the damage is only superficial, but now the rules say that you have to make a morale check to actually allow that tank to do anything again, meaning that tank is conceivably (and at times, likely) stuck in a limbo of morale checks and uselessness.

Movement rules in games like Flames of War are also an issue- the way that tanks seem to be very rigidly locked to their platoon, rather than being able to more organically use terrain and maneuver independently of one another. While yes, the platoon is the smallest tactical element of tanks, at the scale most wargames are played at individual tanks should be able to take initiative and move of their own accord.

I'm not super versed in modern wargames, I mostly play battletech(which is alright, but ablative armor only), so I'm hoping I just glanced over something. I'm perfectly willing to homebrew something, but I'm afraid I'll get way too down into the autismal details and make it an unfun game for anyone to play.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You could try battlegroup or rapid fire, or crossfire.

Ostfront is coming out soon too which is a very quick and effective game for tanks - no morale checks for vehicles, just damage, and each vehicle is free to do its own thing. the full rules and all 5 army lists will be released in the next week.

>morale

the problem is that is a thing that happened quite a bit with tanks, at least in WWII.

Hell, there were Jagdtiger crews (the most heavily armored tank of the war) that panicked after being shot at by 75mm shermans. Granted these weren't very well trained soldiers but it's hardly the only instance. Especially tanks known for weak armor or that were prone to fire (or in the russians case exploding)

I'm well aware tanks bailed out a lot, but the way most wargames represent it is awful

A tank crew doesn't just suddenly freeze in fear when they take a hit. If their morale breaks, they bail out of the tank and run for their lines- the tank is now inoperative, and will likely remain that way until the battle is over.

British were also known for jumping out of their tanks if they took fire, even the heavily armored churchills.

>Are there any mini wargames that handle armored combat in a way that doesn't suck horribly?

Define "suck horribly". Just the morale and movement thing? Or anything else?

Try Phoenix Command Mechanized Combat System. It details individual tanks down to which functional parts are broken on a hit.

Like I said in the OP, I'd actually enjoy the stupidly intricate rules rules rules kind of stuff that could come about- detailed armor tables, damage systems, all that- but I understand the limitations of the medium, so really just as long as there was a morale system that didn't suck and units could move organically I'd be fine.

Lookup Operation Squad Evolved. The vehicle rules can be broken down to individual crewmembers firing personal weapons from weapon ports and other intricate shenanigans.

Everyone did it, especially fresh units.

"What was that?"

"An explosive round the size of your arm just hit about a foot to the right of your dick."

"......"

" Don't worry, it didn't penetrate and cause you to slowly bleed out due to metal shards in you cock as you were horribly burned to death......this time...."

"......BAIL OUT!"

Can't imagine why

Play A Fistful of TOWs 3 then probably. Covers WW2 through modern with very realistic and well written rules. Models/stands represent platoons, so maybe it's not the scale you'd prefer given you talk a lot about individual vehicles.

If you fancy you know a lot about tanks already, I Ain't Been Shot Mum (and its derivatives from Too Fat Lardies) gives you a lot of leeway in the rules to decide what is or is not reasonable for a given situation. It's also smaller scale where one vehicle = one vehicle.

Yup, though some motherfuckers were pretty blase about it too. One Stuart Driver in The Tank War mentions the time a 50mm shell punched through the front plate about a half foot from his face then just flopped onto the floor next to him, having expended all it's energy getting through the armour. So he turns and basically goes "Hey boss we just got penetrated" and the rest of the crew says bullshit because there's no way they'd not notice that. So the driver just wraps his hand in a rag, picks up the still hot shell and shows it to his commander and other crewmembers over his shoulder. The response is pretty jovial and then they just kind of got back to it. Interestingly enough, in that book it seemed like most of the 'false positive' bails happened during more sporadic engagements, while in the really vicious firefights crewmen seemed far less eager to bail, perhaps figuring that it's safer to be in a maybe penetrated tank than outside in the shitstorm without any protection.

even if we do have bailing out and morale in miniature wargames, how does the common system of morale checks meaning the crew can't do anything work? If they're going to bail out, they're gonna bail out and run for the hills, not sit inside the tank trying to decide if they should run or not

Yeah, it's a bit odd, I tend to think of it more as crews being stunned, disoriented suffering mechanical issues or simply being suppressed by the incoming fire when a tank is 'bailed' in Flames of War, which helps with my internal logic.

I can see that, but I think it could have been handled better by just expanding the damage system to include that. Allow for spalling, injured crew, whatever- so that at the very least you can drive the tank back out of fire while the guys inside recollect themselves.

I dunno, I'll probably end up trying to homebrew something. I don't really have many people to test it with right now, but looking through what's around just leaves me dissatisfied.

To be fair, they were Stuart crew. The fact that they got hit and no one was hurt had to have been so unlikely to them that they skipped the fear reaction entirely and went straight to derision.

"Oh come the fuck on, Kraut, you're just insulting us now!"

Or was it North Africa agains't Vichy's?

In FoW at least I don't think it needs anymore complexity. Maybe in a smaller scale thing (I'd like to see a robust

North Africa, against the DAK. Think it was on the Sidi Rezegh airfield during Operation Crusader. At that point in the war the Stuart wasn't actually too bad armour wise, for a tank of its size and weight at least. 5th RTR was a pretty veteran unit though, having fought in the Battle of France and then in North Africa as one of the founding units of the 7th Armoured Division, where they would continue to fight all the way to Tunis, before going to Italy, being taken back to Britain and then being on the frontlines almost constantly, all the way from the Bocage to the Rhine.

> In FoW at least I don't think it needs anymore complexity. Maybe in a smaller scale thing (I'd like to see a robust
and I forgot finish my sentence like a mong. What I meant to say is that I'd like to see a robust tank warfare game at the platoon or even individual level so that such detailed mechanics wouldn't make for too much bookkeeping. But FoW is a Company level game and putting too much micromanagement or too many intricate systems just slows down the pace of games.

I dunno, I've never actually seen any Flames of War armor battles that got beyond company level- most games I read about or watch or whatever only really have a single platoon of armor

Maybe I'm just watching small-scale games, though?

So they just had a blessed machine spirit, gotcha.

I Ain't Been Shot, Mum? Haven't played but I've heard good things.

THIS

Intredasting. Can you point me to a writeup or a video of a game being played with it?

check it out yourself
mega.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw

If you don't find a suitable tabletop game, just play the Combat Mission video games to your heart's content. They are everything anyone could want and more.

I actually play quite a few tanksims, I just want to be able to do some north african theater tank battles t b h

Also I find it a lot easier to be not-tactically-stupid in a tabletop setting

CM is sorta turn-based combined arms, mostly WW2, roughly at the company to a few batallions level. Morale is a big factor, as is experience.

I mite give it a shot. I play a lot of SABOW right now, though.

That being said, now that I've slept on it, the idea of homebrewing a system that might also be used for a sit down pen-and-paper RPG kind of thing is seeming more and more appealing. At first glance that seems like it'd be hella boring, but then Planes and Mercs took off pretty well and this would likely be largely the same thing, just on the ground.

Schwere Companie from Ritterkrieg. /hwg/ has the rules in their database.