Adventurer

>adventurer
>doesn't carry rope

It's the most useful mundane item, and it's cheaper than a pound of ginger.

Maybe they're a wizard.

Who needs rope when you have CHAINS!!

But we're hunting goblins, not niggers.

The must useful mundane item is probably clothes.

Next you're gonna say they don't carry 10' poles either?
Rrrrrrright.

gotchu covered senpai.

0 protection from the elements or mobility there family.

How's this for mobility.

No protections from the elements but its still pretty fucking hot

>10'
>not opting for the 11' model

It lets you touch like 99x more stuff you wouldn't touch otherwise.

Wouldn't it only be a 10% increase in touching stuff?

No, a few major trapmakers wised up and made them detect threats within 10.5'

It's not about touching distance itself but about meeting minimal touching distance to touch the thing. 10ft is very common non-touching threshold so that extra 1ft makes huge difference. Extending 7ft pole to 8 or 11ft pole to 12 would not make nearly that much difference.

Plus, if you combine the two, you get an awesome interrogation tool for all your lawful good adventuring needs.

>and it's cheaper than a pound of ginger.
That doesn't say much, mate-o.
An obligatory reminder that salt was worth its weight in silver, and spices were worth their weight in gold.
And don't even get me started on tea, silk and other commodities.

>foreverial tiedup ropelized

Are you talking about combining rope with a pound of ginger? Or ope with an adventurer? Or an adventurer with a pound of ginger?

Woah, ginger slaves must be real cheap in that setting.

>adventurer
>doesn't carry towels

In addition to normal towel functions, you can use it for a lean-to canvas, blanket, or makeshift rope.

>The must useful mundane item is probably clothes.
There are many situations where one would rather have the rope.

Uhm, yeah. You have fun with that.

>Wearing that much and still freezing your ass off.
>Not having Endure Elements (Cold) permanently tattooed to your face and running around in a battle-thong.
Why even live?

>rope: 1gp
>1 lb of ginger: 1gp+
>average human weight: 150lbs
>average human weight minus soul: 149lbs, 432g

Ginger slaves harldy seem worth it.

You absolute madmen are going to start a trap/pole arms race
Oh sure, it's just one foot here, one cubit there, but soon we'll all be running around with telescopic poles spanning entire counties, fired from cannons for increased range

But they look good cleaning your lordship's hallways or serving your lordship's dinner

Post pr0ns of Cestree.

Eat a chode, douche canoe.

Unradical.

Sometimes, I'm glad magic doesn't exist, because just the thought of how many people would abuse it is enough to dissuade me from wanting it for myself.

Blue board
Go to /d/eviantart for wins....deviant.

L-lewd!

Rope is heavy as fuck dude. People shuld calculate their encumberence more in games like DND

If you think rope is heavy, you should try carrying around a 10 foot pole all day.

What many people don't realize is that these poles are not made of wood, but of solid iron (in hopes of it surviving any traps it might be used to set off, as well as to produce enough force to simulate a person's weight). As useful as it might be, it's also ridiculously cumbersome.

>It's the most useful mundane item
That's not a knife.

But where i would carry my pound of ginger?
WHAT NOW MAGIC MAN?!

>tfw always carried around a spool of hemp rope
>and a smoking pipe
feels good man

Hemp usually contains about a fifth of a percent of THC.

> not using a collapsible pole
> not knowing wood can support a good bit of weight
> not just getting a metal extension for setting off traps, like a shovel head or spear head

ok senpai.

>40 ft later
"You feel anything yet?"

Wood burns, and collapsing or smashing stone ceilings or walls are more that enough to destroy anything except the burliest of poles.

>not just smoking it anyway
its still good fun. Besides, it's cheaper than trying to obtain smoking herbs

>Not carrying Ginger and Gemstones instead of gold pieces
Can't Fig a prisoner with a gold piece son.

>you should try carrying around a 10 foot pole all day

>3.5e weighs it at 8 pounds
>5e has it at 7 pounds
>OSR has it encumber the same as a spear
>used a 10ft metal pole in highschool, not that heavy

What are you on about?

>"Dammit man, how high are you?"
>"Like 40ft."

Who need ropes when you're a spider?

Every adventurer worth the name on the planet carries at least 50 feet of rope, some carry hundreds.

10' poke is defeated by 5' wide corridor with 90° turns.

You can still account in for corridor height while taking turns with the pole.

>Sometimes, I'm glad air conditioning doesn't exist, because just the thought of how many people would abuse it is enough to dissuade me from wanting it for myself.

I'll make sure my players know that you're the one to thank for the lower corridors.

That shouldn't be a problem, actually, for any corridor larger than 3.536 feet.

Next level retardation, my man.

>not carrying a towel

There are different kinds of metal, user, with a fuckload of different densities. Iron and steel pipes are heavy as fuck. Straight up rods with a 1-2 inch diameter that long would be damn near uncarriable. Nevermind the fact that they are cumbersome as hell as well.

Hitchhiker's Guide was a stupid book.

>this is largely high school level math
>I read this and it's like taking a look at heiroglyphs
>in a few days I'm starting a statistics course
fug

>stupid book

Many people disagree with this statement

I disagree with them.

I respect your opinion.

Nah, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm an electrician. All of my conduit comes in ten foot lengths. A 3/4" steel conduit weighs little enough that I can manipulate it with one hand when I am holding it at about one quarter. Using two hands I can control it while holding it at the end.

I disrespect you opinion.

That's because it was made more complicated than necessary.

Why are you such a contrarian? I just want to come to a mutual understanding that we enjoy different things

different metals weigh different amounts

Your right, my dumb ass was thinking in yards instead of feet. I was thinking of about the solid steel pipes that we had leftover from building a fence, and how heavy they were.

Which is why I specified that I was talking about steel.

>Why are you such a contrarian? I just want to come to a mutual understanding that we enjoy different things
Because I'm a different user from the one you were talking to before.

I was just shitposting, my apologies.

Iron Worker/Welder here.

A lot of the stuff I work with daily is 1-1/2" to 5" diameter steel poles ranging from 10' to 80'. A 5"d and 10'L pole is enough to need two hands, but still easily manageable. Adventures wouldn't carry something that big. They'd likely use a 2"d pole. Solid steel, likely cast, still only a few pounds. Enough to be annoying to carry around all day, but you can (and I do) twirl it around in one hand, and maneuver it easily with only 1 hand.

Get out more and work with these special metals. You have no idea how light these things actually are.

You guys are dumb. Obviously you want two 4 foot poles, one made of wood and one made of iron, both hollow, with the wood one screwing into the iron one. Then all you need are a set of 2 foot extensions / handles. That way you can stab rust monsters without fear.

no problem. Have a great night friend.

I dont really know what you guys are talking about, but having a super long as fuck rope thats thick is pretty heavy. fuck carrying that shit around all day.

fool! the use of intercontinental ballistic poles makes smallarm poles obsolete!

I disagree. Normal Poles are still useful in conventional trap detection. Just like we still need Ground to Air lightning bolts to maintain our air superiority lest the dragon conclave start probing our borders.

It was a silly book, but I'd hardly call it stupid. It had plenty of genuinely clever sections, though I guess the humor is distinctly British.

>"What about you Krognar?"
>the party dim-witted half-giant puffs his chest out proudly
>"Krognar 10 foot high"
>the other high party members look at him
>"Fucking lightweight"

Always know where your towel is friend

And there isn't a single thing that you can do to stop us

>intercontinental ballistic poles makes smallarm poles obsolete!

You can still get a trap or two with an unmanned ungulate vehicle.

Aren't 10 foot poles supposed to be telescopic? That's why you can't just make two of them out of a ladder.

I'd rather have the pound of ginger because dungeon meshi.

Actually, if you cut a ladder in two, you don't have two ten foot poles, you have one ladder with the destroyed condition.

On Ropeworld, everyone carries at least 50 feet of rope.

Pivot!

I understand what you say.
Tfw the group laughs at you because your character bought a bedroll to not sleep on the fucking ground like a murderhobo.

>using derivatives and trigonometry to find local minimum
>WHEN ALL YOU NEEDED WAS TO MAKE A SQUARE WITH A SIDE OF 2W, AND DECLARE 10' ITS DIAGONAL
Math majors, not even once.
2w*sqrt(2)=10.
THAT'S LITERALLY ALL YOU NEEDED, DUMMY.

>be me
>get my latest group of players
>each of them STARTS with rope, piece of chain, basic tools, camping gear and proper change of clothes for different weather and situations
>they blow most of their starting funds on those, but don't ask for any refund or cash for weapons and similar
>they always keep track of all their stuff all the time
>if by chance I forgot to mention weather, they ask themselves for it and act accordingly
Best group ever

And they even made effort to assemble archeological toolkit when going into ancient ruins, bringing with themselves well-trained scholar to not turn it into just random looting

5" diameter solid or hollow?

I thought that you can just buy a three pound ginger and store it in your pocket.

>49037902
what a wonderful time

Ladders are wood, poles are metal.

That's what specialty gear is for retard. Rope is useful in nearly every adventuring situation while stuff like cold weather gear, holy water, and the like may be necessary in a quest but will be useless the rest of the time.

>Or an adventurer with a pound of ginger?

I need to ask you a few questions. But first, you have to eat this. All of it.

You're a stupid book.

You forget it is a long stick. It is very cheap to replace.

Taunting suicidal crabs, extra special naughty fun time at the brothel(comes with an extra surcharge, but trust me you don't want to use their rope), how else are you going to tie all of your chickens to you, Mimic fishing, a prop for preforming a play involving any of the prior options.

Also, even without all the rungs, the sides of a ladder are rectangular prisms, not poles. You'd need to bring them to a pole-turner to make them into poles.

>it's cheaper than a pound of ginger
But my party is paid handsomely to persecute the red headed plague and the hair wards off certain demons.

>On Ropeworld, everyone is made of at least 50 feet of rope.

ftfty