God of order, civilization and law

>God of order, civilization and law

What would be a fitting personality for him?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rplXXV6ir8M
fallfromheaven.wikia.com/wiki/Sabathiel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Strict and stern, but with a warm loving heart deep underneath.

orderly

Autistic guy with glasses. Always reading a book and easily annoyed by everyone else's shit.

what a boring sounding god

He sees no problem with lying, to yourself or to others, so long as it's in the interest of the community. He's controlling, easily offended, and slow to act. In the end, though, he really does want what's best for the world.

t. randumb chaotic neutral

can you name an actual god in any mythology that had this exact portfolio?

Yahweh

that's just a blatant lie

Before I heard the phrase 'Semetic God of War' I thought the jewish god was this.

So a asshgole? (Assumign it not your civilization he considers his own.)

Autism

is there a god with either a complementary, or an opposite portfolio, that you have a clearer feel for their personality?

then make his personality play of theirs

set aside your fedoras and actually think about that for a moment, he isn't wrong

Ordered. Civilised. Lawful.

A stern father or mother figure, prepared to defend the tenets of civilization from the screaming barbarian hordes intent on destroying all that is good and just.

the jade emperor

Being a complete asshole. Whenever he decrees a edict, nobody may actually violate it.
>You wronged my followers? Well, you can't leave this building(or area the building is in) until you die
>Change laws of nature into stricter laws of nature
>etc

Go for some different the normal stern, grumpy law guy

Make it a high-class gentleman or something

He's the Winder, perhaps. The Builder. The Measurer. The dwarves call him the Committeeman, disparagingly, and they spit at the mention of him and give him no place in their temples - but they pour out a libation for him at each council meeting all the same. When the elves speak of him (which is rarely) they use some unpronounceable name which translates as That-Which-Sees-With-Valueless-Eyes, because of course they do.

He cares about the order of small things. Pennies, bricks, a tidy house. A family happy in the correct way. He understands the function of order - his symbol is the pyramid, and his power increases from the foundations. In his name are sons and daughters exiled from their families, kings overthrown by their parliaments, counterfeiters lined up before the guillotine. He never has to ask for these grand acts: they follow naturally from the quiet and individual order he requests.

His true form is not one that a human mind, even if it were the mind of his most faithful aspirant, could understand. We lack the natural perfection of order his form implies. He is not chaos overcome - he is the utter lack of chaos, the absence of even the possibility of chaos. If he wishes to speak to you in person he's a small man, all in black, middle-aged. A bachelor. A tradesman perhaps, very often a clockmaker. He only wishes to get to the point, but he'll make some concession to that human need for conversation he doesn't understand. He'll ask you about the weather.

Leviathan

I want a lawful, civilization god that's a well-meaning fuckup, and the other gods have to keep helping and cleaning up his messes
but he stays really optimistic

yay cities
>oops animal habitats got fucked
yay idustry!
>oops pollution
yay laws and order!
>oops legal loop holes and mafias

Brandon Stark

youtube.com/watch?v=rplXXV6ir8M

The book or the monster? The monster is actually either an ancient whale or a metaphor.

Meddling, with a tendency to coddle those of her civilizations like they're children. She expects you to behave and follow the rules set out for civilization by her and by the civilization.
It's for your own good of course. Can't have you running. around acting like savages. Wash your hands.
Also, expect her to be pretty good at smiting things that wish to disturb her order, civilization, and law.

This is kind of Erathis in 4e and she was pretty good. Was good friends with the civilizing light of Pelor, but also with the tyranny-sponsoring Asmodeus. Probably throws great dinner parties.

He absolutely is wrong.

Probably a murderous insane control freak.

this one

Hermes Conrad

>domains include order and law
>everyone says neat and organised
>people forget the laws of nature and the natural order

He'd be one at touch with nature, never interfering as interfering would upset the laws and order. his home would be over run entirely by plant life and animals would flit through his home at their leisure. Ultimately, he would guide anyone he meets towards maintaining order via balance. He would not hate chaotic gods, for he acknowledges their necessity and their place.

None of this is to say he hates the idea of cities, humans too have their laws of behaviour and their place in the natural order is one of dominance. So long as they do not push too hard, his duty is to ensure it stays even.

So no, not uptight or autistic, in fact the opposite, he sees everything and its place.

Civilization is at odds with nature, dude.

Find the worst story about the most despicable, greasy, underhanded lawyer and give that guy god powers.

>Your god is Paul Manafort

Read the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. That's who you're looking for.

Go watch Law & Order: SVU and pay attention to early-seasons Elliot

>but with a warm loving heart deep underneath.
Why this?

Order, law and Civ is not warm and loving. It is firm and unmoving and unavoidable, the gradual march of Civilization would be as you say strict, stern and most of all patient.

Many gods are also people, of a sort, not just a rigid scaffolding to hang domains on. I mean, depends on your mythological basis, I suppose. But in the abstract, a god of civilization could easily genuinely care about the people who populate the towns and cities of the world rather than solely looking at them as a machine for putting Domain Points on the God Leaderboard or however it works.

It could do, by all means, but most mythology I think of does not have the huge or even sizeable city population, the ones that do I do not now enough of their history to make a comment otherwise.

There is a casual indifference to the riches and the poorest and only a care for the whole. They are indifferent to crime, to charity, to old and young. They only care for the march of their city from a hamlet to a town to a city.

>ITT: chaotics vs. lawfuls; is the law for our own good??

>What law is made to better my life and not better society itself?

Fucking this

Is there anything more based than a literal Philosopher King?

OCPD

Think an old farmer grandpa. Still strong as an ox, but paternal and wise. And not afraid to give you a good thumping when you deserve it.

>And not afraid to give you a good thumping when you deserve it.
If you get in it's way.

>god of jealousy, lies, genocide, and giving no care for the morrow

Like I said, if you deserve it.

I can't really think of anything more civilized or orderly then a farm.
"I'm going to take this big piece of land here, remove any plants I don't WANT here, re-shape it to suit my need, drive off all the animals I don't want here, and then I'm going to take rocks out of the earth, which I was going to remove anyway, and CAREFULLY stack them in such a way as to keep everything I want here in, and everything else out."

Yhvh and his domains are:

Death, Storm, Calamity, Plague and War.

His Fucking priests glorified "necromancy" (as in talking with the dead and ancestor worship but still had some spooky elements like raising golems from graveyard dirt).

He orders genocide after genocide.

His law is : "Worship me or die." & "Anyone who isn't a Jew must die!"

He's a capital E EVIL God that makes Lolth look like an autistic teen nigress.

Lawful Evil on jet fuel.

The only way to make him worse is his Islamic version.

Let that sink in.

>The only way to make him worse is his Islamic version

A-fucking-men

People who say god is kind and forgiving forgot about the thousands of cattle he demanded as tribute, or the city he rained fiery brimstone on, or the sacrifice of your first born son and all kinds of other crazy bullshit

He really chilled out once he had a kid.

>talking with the dead and ancestor worship

Citations, please?

The fact that d&d necromancy was heavily inspired by Jewish myths of it.
There's actually a fuck ton of Jewish cultural references in early d&d.

Could you name a few?

Spiteful.

A giant hypocritical douchbag.

Athena?

This thread is choked full of idiots. I really hate 2016 Veeky Forums. This board should have self destructed in 2012.

Of course he can't since The Bible expressly forbids all forms of magic.
There's The Witch of Endor, to whom Saul asks counsel and she calls Samuel's soul. Everyone involved gets rekt, and they don't even get to learn anything usefull.

Something like this?
fallfromheaven.wikia.com/wiki/Sabathiel

Please elaborate on your specific heartburn with the posts in question.

I'm trying to fill out my Pantheon and I have no idea what to do for Evil gods. I've got a tyrant god, a thief god, and a god of assassins.

Athens I guess.

Yahweh, at least in Old Testament and drawing on his origins before that, seems to have been a Mesopotamian war god. Part of a pantheon, but likely with aspects of protection and order involved. At least with his chosen followers, which eventually turned to more monotheistic elements at a later date.

From memory, and bear in mind that it's been about a year since I last looked at this in any sort of detail, earlier translations and aspects of Genesis actually have Yahweh saying (when he's creating humans) that "we will make them like us" rather than "I will make them like me" - which may indicate leftover elements of a prior pantheon grammatically.

Tyr

Nah, hes a god of war that made it big from probably some big jewry from his preists.

Not really, more that the Hebrew/Israelite community at the time just happened to be in better conditions to shift to a fully monotheistic system than polytheistic like other societies in the Mediterranean and ancient Near East at the time. They likely shifted away from what was presumably henotheistic worship, which is worship of several gods with one, presumably Yahweh, above others.

Rules lawyer the god.

There is no flexible punishments in his court. If the law says to kill you for stealing it doesnt matter if you are a poor urchin trying to make ends meet or the king, to the hanging tree with you.

He's not a good god nor a flexible one and isnt very popular nor his followers, especially not in actual law enforcement because his hate against anything that goes against the written word. but he's strong. But hell protect you and if you got some aelf awareness about your actions you might score it good with him.

Abadar (pronounced AH-bah-dar), the god of cities, law, merchants, and wealth, is known to be a patient deity.

Abadar and his followers wish to bring the light of civilization to the wilderness, to help educate all in the benefits of law and properly regulated commerce. He expects his followers to obey all meaningful laws, but not those which are ridiculous, unenforceable, or self-contradictory. He is also a great proponent of peace, as war inevitably leads to the degradation of trade and the stifling of prosperity for the general public. He advocates cautious, careful consideration in all matters, and frowns on impulsiveness, believing that it leads to the encouragement of primitive needs. Abadar discourages dependence on government or any religious institution, believing that wealth and happiness should be achievable by anyone with keen judgement, discipline, and a healthy respect for all sensible, just laws.

Ahura Mazda

civilization isnt more orderly or lawful than the wild, its just more advanced and alturistic

Ok
1) Civilization is at odds with nature
No, Civilization is what humans; being self aware creatures and social animals, naturally do when following their instincts. Civilization IS nature applied and given purpouse, and any and all "damages" to nature by civilization are just evolutionary stimuli that result in animals and plants either going enstinct or adapting to the new circumstances in the same way ice ages, meteorites and global climate change allways did and allways will do. There's just conscious minds at the top now, so the change can be guided and valuable species preserved. Being at the top gives you power and responsability, we're just still working at the second point because the change from an agriculture and subsistence based economy to an industrial and postindustrial one has been very fast.
2) Civilization is part of us, and serves our needs. A god of civilization and order would be lawfull good in d&d terms, since all it's doing would, in the end, be for it's ward's Best interests. There then could be demons and dark gods of corruption and barbarism trying to ruin it's beautifull structure but in the end Civilization is still objectivelly better than the alternatives.
3&4 are just strawmen from people that never ever touched a bible.

you failed to elaborate on the rest

>>God of order, civilization and law
>What would be a fitting personality for him?
Odo.
That is all.

Look up "Menoth".

[cititation needed]
Nice opinion over there, could be mistaken as bait

Is he not "only" God of order and law?

>Fags not living in a barrel

New testament? Lazarus. That's some necromancy shit right there.

Otherwise the whole damn Old Testament. Solomon consorted with 72 demons. That's a fuckton of magic right there. He literally summoned and bound them because he was a fucking conjurer

yeah but the OT doesn't.

Diogenes, the most famous schizophrenic homeless man in history

>name can mean God genes
>is a fucking lunatic
HERESY

Civilisation, law and order exist to protect people, especially the most vulnerable, from the travails of nature and human cruelty. It's stern and all-encompassing, but certainly with kindness at its core.

>You thought I was a rich philosopher!
>BUT IT WAS I, DIOgenes

Tell that to the American Indians.

You act like they were a victim of civilisation as a concept and not of race war/disease.

I'm doing the same thing. So far the only major Evil one I have is a storm god largely influenced by Poseidon. Most of the antagonistic gods are Neutral.

>All those Not!Modern Reinterpretations of Jehova

You guys are fucking losers

a machine

This. Fucking this. None of the old testament God bullshit. Apparent but not actual autism and slavish obedience to the law. Extreme violence towards lawbreakers (sinners). Apparent but again not actual total lack of care towards civilians who don't break the law.

He is not there to guide his people, just make sure they follow the law or they will be found guilty.

>literal interpretation of God's actions towards humanity is strawman

Wew lad, you're the one who sounds like he's never touched a Bible in his life. At least not beyond opening it for whatever random shit your pastor wants to take out of context at the moment.

ah the good ol' "le christian god is cray cray" meme

Necromancy is flat out banned in the Old Testament, numbnuts.

He's saying that God isn't crazy though.

Also very much the god of civilization as he firmly opposes the Wurm.

>New testament? Lazarus. That's some necromancy shit right there.
>Resurrection is necromancy

The modern use of the term necromancy has ballooned from it's actual meaning, which is when a human calls up the spirits of the dead to commune with them.