Malifaux General - Bring out your rules questions edition

Books;
mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4- ??? plz

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives.
New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules:
themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/114900-gaining-grounds-2016/

Thread topics:
Any rules questions for the game? Bring them out, someone else probably has the same question... or even better, an answer!

What are the odds of a new faction and maybe 1-2 units for each existing faction in the next book instead of new masters and models for existing factions?

Other urls found in this thread:

privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/cryx/warcasters/lich-lord-asphyxious
discord.gg/xWkuFRz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What kind of theme is left for malifaux? Religious cult?

I don't see them going anywhere near religion for a good long time yet.
Too controversial.

>What are the odds of a new faction
Slim to nil.
The new Masters, or rather the new familiarity of the designers with how the game actually works, will already be giving them enough to think about with regards to balance and game consistency without adding a whole new Faction.

Aside from that, I fucking hope not, fuck bloat for bloat's sake.

As a new player getting into the game?
von Schill.

As an old player looking for challenge/top-tier?
Daw.

As a more interesting fluff character?
Errr.... von Schill, narrowly, personally. Unless you're more into the mysticism shenanigans, who knows.

The cult of december?

what are they like in the fluff? is it just a subset of arcanist that like cold things?

They're mountain cannibals who worship the tyrant December.

I'm with Even if you are new and if RoF didn't exist, Jack Daw is going to give you a lot of depth to explore and will not disappoint in terms of viability, variety, and longevity for a first master. Who cares about characterization.

Could someone repost all the imgur links for book 4? Also, we're starting a Shifting Loyalties campaign soon and I'm having trouble against Titania Theme List.

Aeslyn: 10
- Taproot
The Tooth: 7
The Claw: 7
The Thorn: 7

It doesn't have anything else. It doesn't seem to need anything else. I get sucked into melee with them (Usually across hazardous terrain), remain Slow (Because of their starting aura), and cannot Interact to remove the scheme markers they make every time they attack. I can't kill them (With Armour 1, Hard to Wound 1, 7 wounds, and Taproot), I can't Interact with them (Lacking anything with Don't Mind Me), and I can't escape them (Ridiculous ranges on their pulls and pulling you into base contact, plus many strategies requiring you to be bunched up). Suggestions, for a 10 thunders player? I get 35 soulstones to play with, have to pay for my Leader, and my Leader must be a Henchman.

To expand on this slightly, I'll address a single uncertainty I have. Do you have to take multiple Curse of Autumn flips if you're engaged with more than one of them? The precedent is Mei Feng's 'vent steam', which gives multiple negative flips if you use it more than once per turn - It has the same name, yes, but it's not a non-numbered Condition, which is the only thing that doesn't self-stack.

the exact wording on curse of autumn is "Enemy models that begin their activation engaged with one or more models with this ability" so it's just the one flip no matter how many you're engaged with.

But it's multiple instances of it. Why would you not have to take one duel for each instance of it?

Because the ability states that it applies once if you are engaged with one or more models. In general, abilities with the same name do not stack.

where does it say that in malifaux though?

I'm dumb, meant to post at

>In general, abilities with the same name do not stack.
Effects in the game generally stack unless they are a Condition without a +/- number or say otherwise (Stacking Core Rulebook, pg. 53).
Errata for Ten Thunders, #6.

I'd like to make something clear. I /want/ you to be right. I very much want to not have to take three WP duels because one model passed a single duel against one of my minions. I especially don't want to do that when my opponent starts getting Sorrows hired. But I see why I may easily be wrong.

He is right, the text on the card confirms it. Precedent rules it would stack without the text which clarifies additional instances of the aura don't cause additional flips. Would you like a picture of the wording on their cards?

that would make things a lot easier

Personally I want to see a dective of some sort, either noire or a Sherlock Holmes rip off

I hope this is legible.

since we're sort of talking Titania is it worth taking all 3 of her minions? I've found that I really like Thorn and Tooth but Claw not so much compared to the other two

I know this discussion is heading in the right direction, but it's really unnerving that people don't understand their own models with such explicit wording.

Got back from the tournament today. 3rd round didn't happen and I went One win, One loss.

Fist round was Ulix vs Jacob lynch, and I lost hard mainly due to my deck going cold and staying there 90% of the game. lost 4vp to 9

Second round was better as it was Brewmaster vs Lady Justice. My opponent couldn't deal with the card drain, negatives, lures, and the threat of poison which allowed me to kill J and her judge turn 2, and proceed to use the peacekeeper to drag stuff around to murder in the open. Won 10 vp to 3.

But on the plus side I won the painting competition with my Anna lovelace (Securing the resser vote)

Not sure what I'm gonna take to the next tourney. I might run gremlins again if I happen to get So'mer, Wong and Ophilia painted up, but I also got Oni callin' my name for 10T.

its pretty clear cut in the rule that no matter how many models with that rule they are engaged with they only have to take 1 test per activation

Yes, that is my contention. I'm glad we agree.

Where did you get those spirits from?

I've been looking for some base decorations for my Anna and Reva.

Warmachine, they are 25 cents each from the cryx section
this is the original model.
privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/cryx/warcasters/lich-lord-asphyxious

They look like they're from the horrorclix figure gypsy seer.

Oh shit, I knew I recognized those from somewhere.

Thanks user.

Can we see the back of the card kind user?

Sorry, Wyrd wouldn't appreciate that :v)

maybe they shouldn't have taken my money and then told me that the box i pressed purchase on was sold out :^)

is there a reason in the fluff that there isn't a henchman themed on the fall? or is that supposed to be aeslin?

They're all Autumn themed, they're just borrowing from the other seasons, I think.

You rock user

Basically, it's so Titania will anyways have a guard to call on that's stronger than the basic autumn knights.

> Guaranteed Convict Labor.jpg

I'll always have a soft spot for fluff pieces that include adventurers fucking everything up for everyone.

Is there any bad matchups for Wong?

I'm looking at the Gremlin line up and besides lack of summoning, he doesn't seem to have any weaknesses

Motherfucker deals very poorly with Von Schill, I know that much.

Thinking about an asami crew for next week.
Besides Mr. Tannen and Toshiro what else should I consider? I know I'm probably gonna play against neverborn lynch (which i need to learn how to beat better).

Emissary, because his auras work better the more shit you have, and you're a summoner.
Rail Workers are nice - eat opponents' AP to kill them out of proportion to their cost, and if your opponent uses one kind of marker, you can make the other.
Her totem and henchman are basically mandatory.
Having an Obsidian Oni that you don't have to pay for, ready to make scrap markers as needed, is pretty nice.

>which i need to learn how to beat better
In your opinion, are the pull my finger articles useful in that regard? What would you change about them?

I'm not convinced her henchman works rally well with her specifically But your suggestion of rail workers is a unique one, I will probably take you up on that suggestion.

some articles are useful because they are well written, but in my opinion they need to be re-written for the new schemes and strats, as well as their "play against" sections need to be expanded on. Obviously you can't cover every corner case, but telling me that Lynch likes to hang out in the back 90% of the time doesn't help me deal with his crew.

It's a good source, but it's rapidly becoming out of date.

Many of the Wave 3 stuff only has a blurb or two on there, and it'll be a while before we start seeing Wave 4 in any substantial form.

isnt it a wiki page? does no one want to add anything to it?

It took a fucking massive movement from A Wyrd Place, with podcasts and giveaway's involved for them to update it massively last time. which is why I think the info on the pages should oft be taken with grains of salt. Because main don't know what the FUCK they are talking about.

A bit of what said compounded by many Wave 3 models just getting releases very recently.

Like I could potentially put out very base articles about some of the new stuff on there based on a reasonable level of analysis and theory crafting, but without having real playtime with the models I feel like it'd be disservice to players looking for more tested advice.

discord.gg/xWkuFRz

anyone interested in a discord server for this thread? I

Maybe if I wasn't about to hit the hay.

what are you guys opinions on Sidir Alchibal?

What is that?
t. Oldfag

He looks pretty great with Nellie, lots of slow to go around for Empty the Magazine.

Other than that... he's got a decent statline and carries Promises if you're not playing McCabe.

Referring more in 10T

Oh and the Cherri Bomb alt. version looks really cool, but so does everything else in the Wild Ones box.

kinda why I'm asking

its a free voice/text chat. A few other generals around Veeky Forums and such have them for their generals

He will not surprise you. If you want what he offers, he's great, no question, but if you're expecting some super secret strat, you're going to be disappointed.

Haha

Not much experience with him in 10T, but my best guess is that he would carry Promises for a master like Shenlong, Mei, or Misaki in some fighty strategy where you can bring an elite crew to the objective and just park them there for a while.

Maybe something like...

Misaki + stalking + cutpurse
Yu + wandering river
Sidir + promises
Lone Swordsman + recalled training
Samurai + favor of w/e
Low River Monk + new upgrade
10T Brother

>Low River Monk + new upgrade
That's not how that works. The upgrade may only be taken if you hire a Low River Monk, and gives an aura that grants all Low River Monks the new ability, but they can't actually use it themselves.

I haven't opened my wild ones, is Cherri huge like him or does she just occupy a disproportionately large base?

has same base size as him. looks really out of place so get something scenic

she's set to be on a 40mm base, but she's about the size of Ms. Anne Thrope if you've seen one of them.

Man, that's disappointing. Was hoping for a giantess.

they should have done something in an otherwise great box

I think standing in the middle of a nice, big, blast crater would look nice.

They can finally start making more mercs for Outcasts again instead of shitty "undead that aren't Resurrectionists because reasons."
Three books into second edition and there's only three leaders in the faction I'd want to use.

Does an incorporeal model count as engaged if it is in engagement range of an enemy?

Can an incorporeal model charge if engaged?

yes, why wouldn't it.

No.

It said something about ignoring models ect on it so just making sure. Incorporeal is not in the index of the rules so I could not find a ruling.

Does armor work twice when you flip a red joker damage for the weak and the severe damage?

It isn't. You suffer the damage at once.

When is Malifaux set exactly?
Other then 'Cowboy Era' I never heard a date attached to it.

The breach reopened in 1897, current year for malifaux is supposed to be 1901.

Disease hasn't been covered much, a leper outcast gang might be cool.

Hamelin covers that already.

Thank you.

I'd love to see a Detective like Poirot, Holmes or Murdoch with Guild Guard and informants from the other factions or a full Scooby Doo expy crew.

>informants from the other factions or a full Scooby Doo expy crew

This is kind of Nellie with her Embedded upgrade. I wonder which merc models best represent each member of the Scooby Doo crew.

Even as a shitty painter, it's fun to see things almost finished. This crew was fun to paint, too, and I hate painting.

I've seen worse. Few more highlights and some washes would make them stand out more. Atm they look like they are just based.

The arms on the poison gamin were a pain in the ass for you too? And I'm sure it's a trick of the light, but it looks like Kudra us having a nipslip. It's interesting how you turned the magic effect from Sandeep around, like he's doing a crazy spin move

Highlights are on the docket.

Models were quite easy to get together, one of the gamin was just missing an arm. I'm going to make it look like he's bleeding green goop (poison). No nip slip, sadly, just an unfortunate place for wash to pool.

It's like to see a "Committee of Vigilance" Themed crew. Based in western citizen's action/vigilante groups.

Historically they were a response to corruption and local government's inability to police the explosive population growth of boom towns. San Francisco went from 900 to 200,000 in a few years, and soulstones would be even more of a draw then gold.

Basically a group of civic minded people, policing and lynching people without food approval. Angry mobs and "deputized" townsfolk. I think it'd make a great counterpoint to both the guild and arcanists.

Not bad though. I like bansuva. He came out pretty well. The purple gamin are also nice. Better than the usual snot green default.

So, not the banasuva guy, but could you explain highlighting? I recently painted up a Parker crew and want to do some work (finishing mustaches and the like) and want to learn new techniques to try.

Especially when I finally build everything on my two do list and get to painting everything.

Rules question:

>I'm playing machine gun Dreamer, I shoot a model that does 4 damage to me after I damage that model
>My Waking Condition is at 3 when I fire the shot, pushing me to a 4 and summoning Chompy
>Both of those triggers state they occur "after damaging"
>Active player chooses? Or what happens first--the damage or Chompy pops out?

The player who went first that turn handles their stuff first. And that player can then choose the order triggers happen in case multiple things apply.

Chompy pops out after the attack is fully resolved.

So that's two different answers.

Here's how I see the options:

A: When it states "After resolving damage" it is referring to the damage of the attack, not damage inflicted from triggers from the original attack. Active player chooses orders in ties--so Chompy pops out after damage is resolved, then Chompy takes 4 damage after damage is resolved (If the Dreamer player chooses that)

B. The trigger that does damage to Dreamer IS considered part of 'resolving damage' when Dreamer attacks him. So Dreamer takes the damage as part of 'resolving the damage' when he shoots the target. Then Chompy comes out.

Iirc as the active player, you choose the order they resolve. Meaning you can gain waking before they hit you back.

But the ability that summons lord chompy doesn't have "immediately" or any wording that implies you interrupt ongoing actions. So you resolve the attack before burrying.

Ok, thanks for the reply. To clarify though, this is where I'm getting hung up;

When "Resolving the damage"--I can't tell if that means resolving damage to the model Dreamer shot--or if the Trigger that the model does back to Dreamer is also "resolving damage".

That depends on the wording of the two triggers. I"m not familiar with Dreamer or the abilities you mention. Could you do a quick type up?

You first apply the effects of the damage, then you resolve triggers that happen "after damaging" ie both your trigger and his.

After the triggers resolve your remove models that were killed.

>getting into Malifaux
>read up on Von Schill
>used to be government agent who then made his own base of mercenaries

I'm sure I'm not the first to think this, but does anyone know of a 32mm big boss model I can pick up?

I can't think of any. Depending on your modeling skill, a head swap and our greenstuff would work pretty well.

Ok, asked this in the Malifaux forum and got this response;

This is in the General Timing on Small Rule book, pg 51. "Whenever any Ability happens at the same time as any Triggers, the Triggers are resolved first."

So Triggers before abilities."

So Dreamer takes the damage, then Chompy comes out.

Thanks m8!
I'll have to remember that.

Speaking of Dreamer, this is the list I'm currently running;

Neverborn
50ss Crew

The Dreamer -- 3ss
+Restless Dreams - 1ss
+Tantrum - 2ss

Insidious Madness - 5ss

Insidious Madness - 5ss

Stitched Together - 6ss

Stitched Together - 6ss

Teddy - 11ss

The Illuminated - 7ss

The Illuminated - 7ss
I was debating on trying Summoning Dreamer. In general, is he considered a better build? If so-what is the build?

Other than the new Fae, what would you say would be thematic to Titania? A friend and I are interested in doing purely thematic lists, rather than having, say, Shenlong working with Illuminated or Perdita with Peacekeepers.

Waldgeists and the emissary