Can anyone tell me some good points and tips to make a proper modern-portal-fantasy setting WITHOUT it devovling into...

Can anyone tell me some good points and tips to make a proper modern-portal-fantasy setting WITHOUT it devovling into powerwank/nationalism/waifushit/tolkienesque/cliché filled one?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janissaries_(novel)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Read Janissaries

>can anyone tell me how to be original
Just like, be yourself and talk to her dude. It works for me every time ;)

Really think about why you want to write it. Think hard. What is it that you want to do with this work, if not all of those things you hope to avoid? Then do that thing you've been thinking about. Then find a good editor, and actually listen to their advice.

Google says something about elite turkish guards. Is this what you're reccomending?

Well... sure.

This was helpful. Thank you.
I wanted to focus more about how life geberally changes on both sides, and on both civilian and military level.
Hell, I almost forgot politics too, although I don't know how to simulate politics.
Any reccomendations on how to understand politics work?

>modern-portal-fantasy setting

I think you mean "isekai"!

>Google says something about elite turkish guards. Is this what you're reccomending?

Obviously not.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janissaries_(novel)

The number one issue that always comes up in these situations is: "what kind of story do you want to tell?"

I say this, because the basic premise of "gateway between our world and a fantasy world" is fundamentally contrived. Where the gateway opens, why the gateway opens, and what the fantasy world on the other side is like, are all shit that you, the writer, are going to have to decide for yourself. There is no "realistic" way to arrange that shit. Any choice you make is going to be contrived by its very nature (this is true of all worldbuilding really, but that's a different topic).

So if your work is going to be contrived, and there's nothing you can do to stop that, you may as well contrive it to fit your story's goals. So what are those goals? Do you want to tell a story of mighty modern men crushing the primitive fantasy savages? Do you want to tell a story of a near-unstoppable invasion by fantasy monsters? Do you want to tell a story of modernity versus fantasy grinding against each other, both fundamentally different, yet evenly matched?

You figure that out, and you'll be halfway to making a perfect setting.

Intresting, a cold war+aliens situation. Thanks.

>Do you want to tell a story of modernity versus fantasy grinding against each other, both fundamentally different, yet evenly matched?
Probably this, but I don't want to just focus everything on war and combat.
You know how things change when new things come into the town and stuff? And how it changes multiples of things it's connected, creating a chain reaction changing other things regardless of how small it is?
I want to focus on that. How things CHANGE. how both sides ADAPT. Be it small like new type of candy introduced to modern world, or something major that is game changing, like some sort of alliance between a fantasy faction with modern one, and the agreement of joint operations&research.

This also brings me to another question, how should I balance out the descriptions? I know that focusing on things TOO much gets tedious to the readers, but if I cut down too much, the people might not notice unless it feels too slapped on and that little detail looks like a random porcelain stuck on a concrete wall.

>I wanted to focus more about how life geberally changes on both sides, and on both civilian and military level.
You may want perspectives from all along a cross-section of life, then, and you'll also want to consider deeply a lot of small details and things about the fantasy setting. It needs to be suitably foreign without denigrating itself, while not being so strange that the reader cannot relate or understand it.

There are lots of ways to make a story about something fantastical. The one thing you should keep in mind for sure is that your worldbuilding is just a tool. Whether the stage background is painted cardboard or an elaborate moving set doesn't matter if the play itself is shit.

>Any reccomendations on how to understand politics work?
Politics are an extension of culture and personality. You can start from the top and define the largest decisions you want to be made or you can build up from characters into something larger. What are a primary actor's goals, what can they do to achieve these goals, and how do their ends and means interact with all the other ends and means in play? What information does each decision-maker have to base its choices on and what information does it actually use? "What information do you know and how do you know it?" applied in third person, basically.

Don't.

If you don't even acknowledge that this is isekai fiction you're talking about, you're not cut out to run it.

Ok, thanks.

As far as I know, any isekai genre contains one of those eatures. Be it waifu stuff, is/was in some MMO, overpowered protagonist, ect.
But I'm not saying that these are ruining something from being good. I mean, look at overlord.
What I just wanted was something similar in only the most basic stuff, but veering on the western part. You know, like stargate or that salvation war stuff, but not TOO gritty to turn off the players. Although they will be getting 'NPC exploration team' fodder to command around, I want to find a good balance between.

It's easy. Just don't use the internet while you're writing.

Rather than worrying about what posters in a hypothetical thread on Veeky Forums will think about it, just focus on what your players will be concerned with.

If you want the story to be about change, then you need to root the story in a character's perspective - modern, fantastic, whatever - and show them experiencing this change, and either adapting to it, or being left behind. Show how their world is shifting, and what that means to them.

I get that you're interested in all the possibilities of your setting, but you need to wrap all that worldbuilding around some kind of character, and have it inform their struggles somehow. Larry Niven's "Ringworld", a classic of speculative fiction, isn't just a giant infodump of every little detail Niven could come up with regarding the titular ringworld. It's an adventure story, about a team of explorers who get stuck on the ringworld, and their struggles to escape.

So if there's something interesting about your setting that you want to explore, you should build your story around it.

I'm worried if doing this might get me called out for 'sticking with your latest animu trend'(which I am TRYING to avoid), so I'm trying to scrub anything that might make them think so. Other than that personally I want to focus on things like , where the players actions, bringing back stuff, interactions with locals slowly, subtly, but effectively changing the ways of both worlds.

If you want this to be an intetesting and fun setting, then don't focus so much on policing "evil weeb content" and instead just make the most interesting and fun things you can.

>So if there's something interesting about your setting that you want to explore, you should build your story around it.
Oh definitely. Wh I was building along with some generic ruins, hidden things, legends and such, I decided, 'hey, the natives should have done some things already', so I did some dice rolls and building off actions and stuff. Things looked a lot better, with better, fleshed out reasons for things that are happening. They should stumble over some, given how they usually do.

I dunno man, it's my first time doing something like this, I don't want to screw this up. You think it'll be alright? I never tried inserting any love intrests or anything before. The entire reason modern side is halfway vaporised was because I didn't want to take any chances in letting real world politics in.

if the story doesn't call for love interests or anything don't force it