The only thing considered worse than having weebs in your game is having a player that forcibly inserts obscure...

>The only thing considered worse than having weebs in your game is having a player that forcibly inserts obscure fetishes into the game

Explain what's wrong with having weebs in your game. There's literally nothing wrong with taking inspiration from isekai/fantasy anime.

>inb4 the party will consist of a catgirl princess, an otaku gone rogue and a hotblooded swordsman who fights for his friends
As opposed to a male human righter, a female half-elf ranger and a dwarf cleric? The problem here is the mindless use of stereotypes, not anime as an inspiration.

>inb4 but now all of the adventurers want to be the very best like noone ever was
In Veeky Forums that translates to wanting to become king. When was wanting to become king not a valid end goal in fantasy games? If we take higher powered systems like D&D as an example, by the time you hit the upper levels you're a match for the greatest of demons and even some lesser gods. You're pretty much the most suitable candidate to become a monarch at that point, and it wouldn't be surprising for the old king to offer you his crown on a silver platter.

>inb4 but everyone will play some dark, edgy, brooding anti-social londer
What is Drizz't Do'Urden, the drow that inspired an entire generation of edgelords? Again, anime as an inspiration per se isn't the problem here. It's edgelords being edgelords.

>Inb4 but everyone will want a kitsune waifu
As opposed to nymphs, elves and redeemed succubi (the latter of which are downright canon according to D&D 3.5e web supplements)?

>But think of all the references and memes that will ruin the game!
1. Monty Python gets quoted all the time. Again, weebs per se aren't the problem.
2. A day without Megumeme is like a day without air.

tl;dr: There's literally nothing wrong with taking inspiration from anime/manga.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=32DM5tNeHBA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I like western animation sometimes.

'kay

>Explain what's wrong with having weebs in your game.
Weebs are too fucking annoying to game with. Case in point, OP.

>As opposed to a male human righter, a female half-elf ranger and a dwarf cleric?
Race/class is not the same as one dimensional archetypes. Back to the PHB with you.

>In Veeky Forums that translates to wanting to become king.
No. It translates to powergaming and munchkinry.

>What is Drizz't Do'Urden
Thoroughly reviled.

>waifushit
Pass, I'm not deviant enough to field this one.

>Monty Python gets quoted all the time
Among noobs and idiots, sure.

Fuck off, weeb, no one cares for your lifestyle, for it is indeed a lifestyle, as you insert your weebery into everything.

holy shit, fucking roasted

As much as I agree, there's no way this isn't bait.

>>Explain what's wrong with having weebs in your game.

The same problem with inviting furries, tumblrites, /poltards, the mentally ill, or people from Veeky Forums to your game.
If that's the first thing you can describe them with, they're almost always awful to game with.

There is a difference between people who watch anime and weaboos. As you said:
>The problem here is the mindless use of stereotypes
"weeb" refers to a very specific stereotype for awful people. There's nothing wrong with liking anime or taking inspiration from it, there's a problem with being a fucking weeb.

Not really, he basically said 'no u'

giggling. and refs. but mostly giggling.

>>inb4 the party will consist of a catgirl princess, an otaku gone rogue and a hotblooded swordsman who fights for his friends
If everyone's comic relief, who's going to tell the actual story. You might as well set the campaign in a dwarf maid cafe at this point. Twice per year, it hosts the Coonvention, where racoons dress up as little bakers, millers, and men-at-arms.

>inb4 but now all of the adventurers want to be the very best like noone ever was
What the fuck is this sentence even supposed to mean.

>inb4 but everyone will play some dark, edgy, brooding anti-social londer
>Inb4 but everyone will want a kitsune waifu
If any combination of player or character is antisocial, what is their motivation to be an adventurer? Same goes for waifufags. That kind of character is better suited to staying in his homestead and making tieflings. Or in his mom's basement.

>memes
No. Just no. Getoten. This is the main reason people don't want anime crap in their games.

>Explain what's wrong with having weebs in your game. There's literally nothing wrong with taking inspiration from isekai/fantasy anime.
>If that's the first thing you can describe them with, they're almost always awful to game with.
This.
A player who creates an actual character that takes inspiration from anime sources is fine.
A player that wants to play Goku Kenshin the Stampede is shit.
Just as a player that wants to play an actual character with feral or animalistic traits is fine, but a furry is shit.

>inb4 stereotypes; dark, edgy, brooding anti-social loner; kitsune waifu
Yes. Any player wanting to directly lift their character from anime will likely be playing a one-note stereotype instead of a character.

The desire to be the king is fine.
Wanting to play a character who wants to be the best is fine.
Wanting to start off as the lifted character who is the very best is shit.
In short, playing a character that is inspired by Ash Ketchum is fine, playing One Punch Man is shit.

>But think of all the references and memes that will ruin the game!
The occasional joke or meme won’t ruin the game, but a character that *is* a joke or meme very well might.

>Wanting to play a character who wants to be the best is fine.
>Wanting to start off as the lifted character who is the very best is shit.
>In short, playing a character that is inspired by Ash Ketchum is fine, playing One Punch Man is shit.
amen that that my brother. speaking of, why do people do this shit?

>the Coonvention, where racoons dress up as little bakers, millers, and men-at-arms.
Not gonna lie, that sounds cute as fuck.
Raccoons being vicious devious little shits aside of course.

>Trying to be reasonable on Veeky Forums
Good luck kid.

>why do people do this shit?
I understand the urge.
I would like to play Superman and fuck shit up.
But I can see the results of the being the best ever and how they would impact the game.
I generously believe many of these tools just aren’t experienced enough to know that it’s not fun to start at the finish line.
But some of them are probably compensating for a lack of power in real life with a ridiculous power fantasy, and as long as that urge gets satisfied, they don’t care about the game.

I’ve been tempted to bring an “Easy Button” from Staples to a game, pull it out when someone tries this, then shout “You win forever!” when they hit the button.
But I’m not that much of a dick in reality.

>>Trying to be reasonable on Veeky Forums
>Good luck kid.
Why are you certain that that’s their intent?

But...Sir Bearington...

I can understand and not understand this at the same time. let's be honest, everyone had a phase where they dreamed they were an all powerful hero saving shit and be badasses, but after a certain point they will realize how they look themselves. they'll cringe from how cringy their OC is and stop trying that shit ever. at least, that's what I think happens.

>But...Sir Bearington...
I knew Sir Bearington. I served with Sir Bearington. You sir, are no Sir Bearington.
There is ample evidence that Sir Bearington is pure fiction and therefore there was never a game to ruin.

>at least, that's what I think happens.
In most cases, I think that does happen.
In some rare cases though, they look upon their works, the cringiest of the cringe, and they stare into that dark void and do not flinch.
They do not falter.
They do not cringe.
They become one with their worst behavior, hold it sacred to themselves, and then, they post about it on the internet.

>They become one with their worst behavior, hold it sacred to themselves, and then, they post about it on the internet.
like that sonic-pikachu OC abomination, and it's creator(that I forgot the name of)?

whoops. I'm sorry.

I make fun of the Isekai genre by making my PC a successful football jock medicine student on a stipend and turn him into an average/bland EK or Monk.

Are you like Death's embarrasing younger sibling, Life?

>I would like to play Superman and fuck shit up.
>But I can see the results of the being the best ever and how they would impact the game.
Many M&M games give you your character, created at the start, and then don't really offer many if any improvements outside of that.

It's not the power, it's how you use it. Not everything can be solved with just punching it.

It may not be fun for YOU, but your lack of creativity is no one else's problem.

>It may not be fun for YOU, but your lack of creativity is no one else's problem.
>implying
Heh, cute

I never really had a chance to play a supers game.
Unless I'm mistaken, in M&M It is very easy to make a character so powerful it breaks the game, so Superman would be more or less appropriate.
I'm sure there are other games where you can make "best, most powerful" characters and be equally appropriate.
A weeb game maybe?
That kinda changes the entire point being discussed, doesn't it?

>Many M&M games give you your character, created at the start, and then don't really offer many if any improvements outside of that.
How is progression marked or rewarded if there is no character progression or development?
Just curious.

>inb4 power and skill are not the only form of progression

>How is progression marked or rewarded if there is no character progression or development?
>Just curious.

Changes to your Complications, mostly.

If Superman goes through an arc where Lois dies, he loses his Lois Lane complication, and might pick up a Grief one, or Revenge (Whoever killed Lois).

You CAN get power points over time, but it's intentionally rare; maybe 1 or 2 per story arc.

>How is progression marked or rewarded if there is no character progression or development?
>inb4 power and skill are not the only form of progression

If you're going to be a roleplay elitist, there's no point to this conversation, you realize. You don't get to go "But you can't ACTUALLY say anything but two options otherwise you're wrong!" That's fucking retarded.

When you don't add skills or power, you learn to do more with what you HAVE. You also focus more on character interactions. You know, the thing you just said that they'd not actually care about. That's still fucking character progression, no matter how much you might whine otherwise.

So, let me actually state it, since it seems to have flown over your head: I'm not implying jack shit. I'm stating it, conclusively, you are fucking un-creative as shit, set in your ways, and literally unable to conceive of how people can have fun in ways you personally can't.

/fucking thread

Also OP is cherrypicking stuff non-weebs DON'T do (unless they're That Guy), then trying to use it to justify things weebs DO do.

Ah. I think I can dig it.
Shoveler reference was unintentional.

There's a difference between a casual anime or Japan fan and a full blown weeb.

From a casual inspection of my room, I have a few hundreds worth of Japanese exclusive action figures and several anime or pseudo anime collectables. My group knows I like this stuff, we even have a few conversations about the latest stuff out, and I typical juvenoia fashion we argue its notmlike of was in our day.

We however aren't weebs.

Weebs are the kind of assholes that worship Japan and everything it creates. The kind of people who can't objectively say "sure, they drop frames and the animation can be cheap, but I still enjoy it bad plots and all" but instead go on autistic rants about how the latest flavour of the week moeblob is an artistic masterpiece.

>there's nothing wrong with it
Sure, so long as your group is cool with it and you aren't an obnoxious weeb cunt ending every sentence with NYA DESU.

>Sure, so long as your group is cool with it and you aren't an obnoxious weeb cunt ending every sentence with NYA DESU.

So much this, you do the fuck you want as long as the rest of the players are cool with it

Honestly, I think that should be unwritten rule zero.

>tl;dr: There's literally nothing wrong with taking inspiration from anime/manga.
Yes, that's true. But what IS wrong is directly lifting shit from somewhere else and/or just spewing basic tropes without anything original or remotely clever.

>That's fucking retarded.
So are you.
I simply was preemptively pointing out the obvious fact, thereby proving that I was already aware of it and that responding posts need not waste time by attempting to convince me of it or by mocking me for thinking characters can only progress by gaining power.
But, here we are.

>When you don't add skills or power, you learn to do more with what you HAVE.
Pro-tip: You just described increasing your level of skill with current abilities instead of gaining new ones.
That's still gaining power and skill, you sad little person.

>You also focus more on character interactions. You know, the thing you just said that they'd not actually care about.
Could you kindly quote where I said that?
I seem to have misplaced that part of my post.

Look to the other user's post for how to form quality post content in the future.

Some of the best players I've played alongside were megaweebs. But they don't bring it in to the game unless it's a joke, so we never had any issues despite me being completely unfamiliar with anime culture.

Conversely, some of the worst players I've played alongside were completely normal people with jobs and kids.

>There's literally nothing wrong with taking inspiration from isekai anime.
Isekai is cancer. It's pure fucking cancer.

He's talking absolute bullshit. M&M has Power Points you can earn in sessions, it's pretty much just experience. You spend them to upgrade your powers or gain more advantages (the system's equivalent of feats or merits). It is possible to play with no advancement, but most GMs don't run it that way.

>like that sonic-pikachu OC abomination
Would Chris-chan be That Guy?

Unless (s)he found a group of like minded people, yes.

He covered himself there by saying "many M&M games".
"Many" is a nice nebulous word that also possibly separates the example from the usual in a subtle way.
>Many people have gone over Niagara Falls in a barrel and died.

That Girl I think now.

And so Moses said to his people after descending from the mountain, "these are the laws of our God, carved upon these tablets, but there is another. 'Thou shalt not be a weeby cunt', but we figured that wouldn't even need to be written down." And the people agreed.

How far we have fallen from God's grace.

Yes.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=32DM5tNeHBA

Veeky Forums is full of kids who think they're cool and thus try and shit on things they think aren't cool because they used to be popular, like anime. These kids are never actually going to play a game and if they did they'd never have the balls to start yelling at someone for being a weeb, because they know that if they do they're going to be the one that's looked on as sperg and kicked out of the game.

Are you six?

While this is bait, I agree that the sheer act of taking inspiration isn't inherently a terrible thing. The issue comes with execution, you can just as easily make a terrible character taking inspiration from Game of Thrones or The Elder Scrolls as you would taking inspiration from Fire Emblem or Fate/Stay Night.

There's nothing wrong with someone who takes inspiration from anime. The problem comes when they straight up copy from the anime, and expect their character to function as if they were the anime character. No, I don't care what Sasuke could do, you're a third level ninja, and fireball is a wizard spell.

Not doing a lot to discredit the idea that you're a child, senpai.

No one on/tg/ is cool

But there's varying degrees of uncool, and this Kinda highlights the issue you run into with some weeb players.

But as said before;
Weeb =/= Fan Of Anime

Isekai this, isekai that. I'll admit it's been a long time since I visited /a/ or Veeky Forums but what exactly is isekai? I keep seeing the word in threads vaguely related to fantasy (Veeky Forums threads about anime, and Goblin Slayer threads on /a/), but I can't pin down the definition for the life of me.

Google gives nothing helpful. this seems to be one of those words that spreads from Japan to Veeky Forums well before becoming known on the rest of the Internet.

>>Inb4 but everyone will want a kitsune waifu
I'd much rather be the kitsune waifu.

Isekai is the "alternate universe" anime that got popular recently, things like SAO, GATE, Overlord, RE:Zero. That sorta thing.

Isekai is the blanket term for all those HERO GETS TRAPPED IN A FANTASY PARALLEL UNIVERSE animes. Everything from Escaflowne to SAO.

"Another world" genre. Generally someone is transported to a fantasy realm that functions like an RPG.

ReZero for example.

Technically though, it can just literally be a fantasy rpg setting, as the distinction is getting blurred.

Nominally, it means "hero is from Earth and then gets sucked into another world." In practice, what it means is "hero is a token otaku loser who gets to visit a world based around his fantasies, where he gets immense powers nobody can hope to match and an entire harem of beautiful women craving his otherworldly cock."

Of course, how else are they gonna make those otaku bucks? By making a realistic human being with goals and such in a strange and unfamiliar place that could possibly kill him? Fuck that, too much effort, just make him an otaku power fantasy and make bank off all the cute girls.

Except if it's Konosuba, which is "hero is a massive otaku loser who gets to visit a pretty crappy fantasy world, where he is still a complete loser and gets a harem of beatiful women who are complete and utter whackjobs to the point where he doesn't even want them"

Makes me want to run an Isekai game where the players are ordinary people who get sucked into a fantasy world, but without any of the benefits. Just the clothes on their backs, the bodies they were born with, and a brand new world full of things that can and will happily kill them.

I wonder how long the PCs would last before getting killed, probably not long.

>anti-social londer
For a moment I read "anti-social lander" and now I have mental images of a LEM screaming "LEAVE ME ALONE" at Neil and Buzz.

Innately, nothing. I've got one friend I absolutely love to run games for that is a real Japanophile; loves anime, loves Japan, speaks a bit of Japanese. Dude's a real sweetheart, who clearly has a few preponderances but is broad-minded enough and not myopic enough that those preponderances make him more fun to play with, not less.

What's not fun at all is obsessives, who mistake "cool" for interesting. The sort of person who insists their character have a katana because they're cool and thinks that makes them interesting.

Mistaking flashy details for depth and thinking that makes their character one anyone wants to interact with or run games for is why weebs get a bad reputation; because many animes target teenage boys in a way that no Western cartoons seem to, and thus catch them right at that phase when they're most likely to mistake flash over substance, and which some just plain do not manage to get over.

Anime's got some great stuff in it, there's a lot of fun to be had, but there's a reason folks get nervous around obvious weebs. Doesn't mean they can't be fantastic to play with, though.

But he could probably have his pick if he tried.

>>The only thing considered worse than having weebs in your game is having a player that forcibly inserts obscure fetishes into the game
>Female characters may no longer have long, well-toned legs. In fact, they have no legs at all. Everyone is a mermaid now, deal with it.

There's something incredibly satisfying about watching Kazuma be a total asshole.

Because anime was a mistake
Get out weeb

>Everyone is a mermaid now
But that's MY fetish
>Inb4 they don't have tails either, just stubs
Someone's jacking off to amputee porn as we speak.

>isekai

I was considering your argument, then I saw "noone."
Christ, not even Chaucer did that shit, just get off Veeky Forums virt, I'm tired of your fucking whining.

I crave to join a star wars game just to make that probe droid.

Riddle me this.
Could a combination of player and character both obsessed with the samurai be equally obnoxious as a cliche memespouter?
I'm talking about someone who always takes off their shoes, screams when attacking, and addresses everyone politely according to their position. The character also refuses to do any sort of manual labor, and has unhealthy obsessions with tea, smithing and poetry, in no particular order. Pillage optional but we'll assume the character will try to derail the campaign by becoming a landed noble if given a chance to do so.

I hate the katana thing. I'll run a game and some fuck goes out trying to buy a magic katana in the medieval town.
>muh honarable warrior cannot lower himself to using a simple saber.

>Both player and character acts this way
>as opposed to a guy who uses memes
I think you know the answer.

There's nothing inherently bad about having any specific type of person at the table. I'd rather have a creative weeaboo who can actually play and have fun than an unimaginative fa/tg/uy

BUT ARE YOU FITTING IN YET?

You're at the wrong place for any sort of defense of weebs. It's pretty much the nature of Veeky Forums that we won't agree on anything. Most of us don't even play tabletop games, we just hear shit about them and find this a nice place to shitpost because, as we have all seen time and again, fa/tg/guys are really easy targets.
You will find people who absolutely have to have weeb shit in their games. You will find people who hate weeb shit in their games. Both are a very angry, very outspoken minority. Most people generally don't give a shit. They really, really don't.
In all my years of tabletop gaming, I've never heard a single person complain about how there is too much weeb shit in the game. The reason? They were actually playing the game and enjoying themselves because we communicated and made a setting and characters we all enjoy. People tend to not complain much if they're having fun with the game. So instead of brooding over how some people like weeb shit, some people hate weeb shit, trust me when I say that you should focus on making the games you participate in enjoyable. That means knowing what your players like and running with that. Worry less about what some strangers think on the internet, and more on what your group thinks, if you play tabletop games at all.

tl;dr - Stop worrying about weeb shit and just make something fun already.

>I'm talking about someone who always takes off their shoes, screams when attacking, and addresses everyone politely according to their position. The character also refuses to do any sort of manual labor, and has unhealthy obsessions with tea, smithing and poetry, in no particular order. Pillage optional but we'll assume the character will try to derail the campaign by becoming a landed noble if given a chance to do so.
So... he's basically a really loud knight? Other than being loud that's fine.

>He's like that IRL too
1. Outside of America, taking off your shoes is customary. Don't take your filthy dogshit-ridden shoes into my house, peasant.
2. Tone down the screaming a bit, but it's perfectly acceptable to get excited over a good roll.
3. Politeness is never a bad thing. If it gets annoying, I will explicitly give him permission to adress me by my first name without any suffix. I might even tell him to drop the tatemae and show me his honne.

>also refuses to do any sort of manual labor
So he's an IT guy? Neat.

>and has unhealthy obsessions with tea
It's good for your health and keeps you warm on cold gaming nights.

>smithing
So he knows his weapons. Is that a bad thing for Veeky Forums games?

>and poetry
As long as his DMing doesn't devolve to purple prose where he spends 15 minutes describing the inside of an inn, fine. Considering he's a Nipponboo, he'll probably limit himself to haikus which are quite brief.

>Pillage optional
BITCH, TOUCH MY STUF AND I WILL CUT YOU

>Monty Python gets quoted all the time.

And every time it does it's an insult to the original work. Rehashing Monty Python should be a crime punishable by death.

>There's literally nothing wrong with taking inspiration from isekai

I like anime and there's EVERYTHING wrong with taking inspiration from isekai.

Fuck that bullshit.

Jesus fucking christ, nobody is going to play your homebrew system anyway?

You can write all your shitty notepad, wordpad, word, open office, latex steaming pile of shit all you want, but I swear to god you fat lonely neckbeard, nobody is going to play your shit.

I'd play it.

>It's pretty much the nature of Veeky Forums that we won't agree on anything.
I agree, we're very contrarian.

See what I did there?
No, but seriously, good post.

It's not even fun if you try that hard.

Very much so. As a whole, the isekai genre is really bland and could be replaced with something interesting without any loss. There's only a few things in the entire genre that made me even passibly interested; those being Konosuba and Re:Zero, though the later may be garbage after the beginning as I haven't watched it.

Also, if anyone yanks a character straight out of Fairy Tail, fuck them and everything they stand for. You heard me, fuck your characters, man. Don't fucking copy-paste Erza into our game you numbwit. Er... sorry. Got a bit out of hand.

If someone quotes Monty Python more than once I'm fucking gone. That shit's near-insufferable these days.

Who is this semen demon?

The people on Veeky Forums that shit on weebs and anime generally do so by generalizing them while at the same time taking extreme offense to any sort of generalization made towards tabletop gamers.

Bad players are bad players no matter what they take their inspiration from. Good players are good players no matter what they take their inspiration from. And personally, as a filthy weeb I find the bad weeb players way more obnoxious than the bad players that aren't weebs.

Things like this make me sick.

Weeb isn't a generalisation.

Weeb is to anime fan as That Guy is to tabletop.

But it is often used to refer to any kind of anime fan on this board.

>hotblooded swordsman
Make it a hotblooded brown swordwoman and i'm down

It's used by actual anime fans on Veeky Forums to refer to themselves much of the time, because "anime fan" is pretty cringy and "otaku" is even moreso.

There is, of course, a certain amount of self-deprecation that goes into using it to describe yourself, hence my use of "filthy weeb" to describe myself.

Only if youre looking to get triggered.

If you don't own a kimono, if you haven't been to a con, if you don't have a library of manga, if you don't have a shrine to waifu, if you don't own hug pillows, if you dont try to speak broken Japanese in a shrill high pitch, if you don't own a KATANA or a Naruto Headband or a DBZ ghi, if you don't act like all Japanese art and cinema and culture and food are objectively superior and if you aren't autistically devoted to each flavour of the week moe blob shit, you probably aren't a weeb.

A brown skin and fang edit of Megumin, who is in fact a demon.

There's nothing wrong with having a manga collection, and hug pillows are so deep down the rabbit hole that you're probably fiercely obsessive about hiding your powerlevel to normalfags, if you leave the house at all.

They're really just a race of adorable chuunis.

Weeb isn't supposed to be a term for a healthy fan though, its inherently about those creepy autistic shits who make people shudder in the real world.

Language evolves, especially slang and ESPECIALLY on the internet.

Terms like "Narutard" and "entry-level shitter" and even "autist" describe that sort of person a lot better.

>Collection = Library
I'm talking thousands.
You could open a store if they weren't so semen encrusted.
>so deep down the rabbit hole that you're probably fiercely obsessive about hiding your powerlevel to normalfags, if you leave the house at all.
Is, a weeb.
Except weebs don't care enough to hide their power level. They see it as a mark of pride.