/whf/ Warhammer Fantasy General - Elves Still Suck Edition

Last thread >1d4chan
1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_Fantasy

>Newbie Introduction to Warhammer Fantasy (Download, start reading at page 174 for the story and all the races)
mediafire.com/download/i330182xo9b1hsi/Rulebook (Hardback).pdf

>Third Party Miniature Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk

>List of Warhammer recommended proxies
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/

>Tomb Kings Range reborn!
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com
indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/

>Warhammer Wikis
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

>Resources (Armybooks, Supplements, Fluff, Crunch)
pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
www.pastebin.com/0e6RuQux
>Endhammer
1d4chan.org/wiki/Endhammer

>9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

>Total War: Warhammer
store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

>End Times: Vermintide
store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

>Mordheim: City of the Damned
store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

>Bloodbowl 2
store.steampowered.com/app/236690/

>Man O' War
store.steampowered.com/app/344240/

Thread Topic - Why can't elfs get their shit together and conquer all of the other races if they're so superior (oh yeah, it's cause they're not). Dorfs/Ogres = Best.

Endhammer Dudes, the Beastmen poll is pretty much open and shut. There's going to be a beast kingdom. Next strawpoll is Friday for the High/Dark Elves.

Also, someone started a strawpoll to shut-up the super anti-schism dude, which I felt was kinda petty, but I understand the frustration. However, in the future, these should be a little more official (discussing the questions for example) and with more detailed questions in general. I'll repost the strawpoll just because I'm not a prick.

strawpoll.me/11114436

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zrYhG1aWhc4
youtube.com/watch?v=2MImv7d8-DI
youtube.com/watch?v=YQS4o_bYA_M
youtu.be/epzNDl6JpMo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why do dark elves use crossbows?
why don't high elves?

>Dorfs/Ogres = Best.
doesn't dorfs/ogres equal halfling?

I should note, there appears to be an idea that Heinrich Todbringer and Luitpold von Holswig-Schliestein are in open war in Endhammer.

This isn't the case. Heinrich has just been made Graf of Middenheim by Ar-Ulric fiat and Luitpold has inherited the throne of Reikland, but rules from Averheim. To quote the fucking Endhammer page "both assume they will be Emperor."

They aren't at war. They're rivals. And the opportunity exists for this to develop into a religious war, but at the moment both of them still consider themselves members of the same Empire. It's just that the north is quickly becoming the 'sphere of influence' of Middenland and the south is becoming the 'sphere of influence' of Reikland.

This leaves the door open for violence and factional differentiation (like a new Teutogen Guard for Middenland). But there's not a civil war or a formal schism in current Endhammer canon. The "anti-schism" dude just keeps using the word "schism" for some reason.

in some other thread an user suggested it was malekith's will to have weapons as efficient as the ones used by dwarfs.

but then both factions use bolt throwers anyway.

High Elves = dumb.

(Or, if you look at the Battles of Agincourt... or was it Poitiers? The French constantly hired the famed Genoese Crossbowmen and they were consistently outshot by English/Welsh longbowmen).

Probably because you can carry a crossbow or a hand crossbow with a bolt already nocked.

For an example of a better Empire Poll, the questions ought to have been...

"The Empire is wounded, and led by Karl-Franz and Valten together."

"The Empire is resurgent under Karl-Franz and stronger than ever."

"The Empire is broken and divided between the heirs of Boris and Karl."

"The Empire is wounded with the heirs of Boris and Karl jockeying to be Empire."

And another note -- Ostland and Ostermark (and Talabecland and Hochland, I think) are pretty much not elector counties anymore.

>"The Empire is wounded, and led by Karl-Franz and Valten together."

>"The Empire is resurgent under Karl-Franz and stronger than ever."

Nobody wants either of these things except one guy.

That makes sense. My assumption was that it was just meta thing to make the factions more distinguishable, and that it played into the "catholic church outlawed crossbows for being dishonorable" meme because dark elves are jerks

I had some time to think about where GW got their idea for Dark Elves from and I came to the conclusion that they are just anti-High Elves. This isn't meant to be offensive for Dark Elf fans. So while the High Elves are famous for their bows, the Dark Elves have to use a weapon that is seen as opposed but still fulfills the same role.

I would certainly like them more than End Times but I think the post-storm lore works just as well or better.

Elves are defensive fighters mainly, and protect Ulthuan.

Dark Elves are offensive fighters mainly, and raid.

Dark Elves also require more population replenishment, meaning less veterans so a weapon literally anyone with two arms and a bit of strength to use is better for them than one that requires training.

Because High Elves and Wood Elves only care about protecting their homelands, and Dark Elves only care about taking the High Elf homeland.

Malekith dying and the fight for Ulthuan being forgotten among easier conquests would have you see invading Elves.

I was trying to be accommodating to that one guy because I'd rather not be a dick to people.

youtu.be/zrYhG1aWhc4
VLAD
L
A
D

Elfs>not elfs

I this warhammer? At least post some warhammer.

thanks bud
maybe you wanna take a look at the thread.

Why has no one brought in giant cats to kill the giant rats?

Only because the French didn't allow their strings to dry after the rain or let them bring their shields.

Woops.

I hated that they never updated the plastic spearmen.

I just want Valten to stop getting killed in increasingly pathetic ways.

Ogres and High Elves have

This. The longbows had a far longer range than crossbows, and the Geonese couldn't manage to get safely in range before they could shoot. The French trusted too much to their knights and didn't support their missile troops.

Just like Brets.

because skaven kill those first

>New White Dwarf
>Numerous references to Bretonnia

Just let the pain end, GW.

What? Why are they making references to Bretonnia? Nothing of that carried over to AoS, so what is GW writing about?

There's a callback bit to old WDs. This month's one was when Bretonnia was released along with a new edition of Warhammer. Mentions them getting rekt in the End Times elsewhere too.

Dying from his wounds after beating the Everchosen of Chaos who was about to end the world is anything but pathetic.

>All existing and future players.

I think maybe that was an attempt at a king Arthur reference. Either way, this really makes me want to get Total Warhammer now.

It's pretty good and the memes are fresh.

Wait until Bretonnia releases and a few more packs are released. Game still feels unfinished and the Empire is at civil war so often it would make anti-schism dude have a stroke.

yeah, as I said, increasingly. that was cool but getting off screen killed by a rat makes me understand how dorfs feel.

What's going on with Gelt in Endhammer?

If he still went the necromancer route, it would be cool if he became outcast, and either became a vampire or became the new lichemaster after Kemmler died.

Lichemaster Gelt has a good ring to it, and it opens up room for a new Patriarch of the Colleges of Magic.

I don't like the clock work army idea, mostly because I hate shoe-horning Sigmarines where they don't belong.

Read the Endhammer page. Link is in the OP.

Control+F "Gelt" if you need to.

It's fun.

Yeah, that Gelt/Nuln stuff is fucking awful. Gelt would either be fucking off to Vlad after his necromancer shit was discovered, or pissing off to Castle Drakenhof or something.

Fuck the sigmarines.

>Mannlet von Carstein

I disagree.

>When Mannlet finally returned to Sylvania,he was taller than ever
They knew exactly what are they doing

And Karl "If it's green, make it scream" Franz

what is a more pathethic way to die than backstabbed by a rat?

Just for the sake of brainstorming, Valten could stay as one of those "appears in times of need" characters (white dwarf, Nakai, Bugman's...) or leave the Empire Sigmar style

This isn't how he dies in Endhammer.

I know, just pointing out that no matter how Valten is approached in Endhammer, it's not going to be as shit as "Verminlord backstabs him while dueling the Everchosen"

I like how in Endhammer, Theoderic Gausser finally gets to rule Marienburg.

He didn't beat Archaon the Edge Lord of darkness, that was fucking Grimgor putting that little punk in his place. The entire world was saved by a greenskin, let that sink in for a moment.

>The world was dying. Or already dead and the corpse had yet to register that fact. Continents were broken. One of the moons had fallen out of the sky. And the seas were boiling. In Middenheim, the Herald of Sigmar does battle with the Slayer of Kings.

In the Bay of Corsairs, the once-mighty ark, the Flaming Scimitar, lists to one side in the water. Black-iron, Skaven submersibles are latched to its golden hull. On deck, Arabyan swordsmen are fighting a losing battle against swarming ratmen.

In his inner sanctum, the Golden Magus hurriedly unstops the three ancient, earthen jars containing his legendary Djinn. He can hear the ratmen pounding and scraping at the golden doors which seal his cabin. Dog-eared spellbooks and tattered scrolls litter the floor, surrounding the artifact which takes up most of the room: the Great Hourglass of Copher. The spirits of fire and wind rise from the Magi's jars and the golden sorcerer begins shakily chanting a spell in elvish, reciting from a tome he bought at great price in Marienburg...

As Stormvermin break through the doors, the energies of the three Djinn surround the jewel of Copher. Across Araby, sabotage and siege had destroyed the Great Hourglasses, but the Golden Magus had stolen this one from Copher... Perhaps that explains why the ratmen chased him across the sea. On the other side of the world, a verminlord glaive rushes through the air towards the last champion of humanity, about to steal victory from Archaon's grasp.

Warp-lightning rushes through the cracks in the golden doors. The sand glows... and the green, electric arc slows to a crawl. In Middenheim, daemons are frozen, axes about to come down on scared Empire defenders. Rain stops in the air and birds freeze in flight.

Then the birds start moving backwards. The glaive, on the verge of piercing Valten's neck, slides backwards, out of his armor. The metal fuses together. The weapon glides easily backwards in to the Verminlord's hand...

I've been getting into 9th age lately, not really sure how I want to run my beastmen. I've been doing double mino w/ DB super solo and 1 wizard. What kinds of builds have you guys seen/run?

I've never seen anyone play Beastmen

Why not? Greenskins and Dwarfs were the first Warhammer races. May as well have one of the two be important.

Sadly, nobody here seems to want to talk crunch anymore and I gave up trying to force it.

Only bet is the T9A forums. You lose anonymity, but actually get good feedback.

according to the 1d4chan article, he doesn't explicitly die at any point, am I missing something?

In Storm of Chaos, its implied Skaven gutted him while he was recuperating after the battle.

I don't think it was updated for ET. A lot of the Fantasy crew quit working on 1d4 because of ET.

He and Archaon take each other out. The details aren't given, but I figure Valten capped Archaon, then died of his wounds.

I think people are just self-conscious about being shitty at the Crunch.

Throughout 8th I was running variations of this:

-GBS, lvl4 lore of beasts and kitted out for CC
-BSB with Beastbanner (goes in Gors)
-BS lvl2, lore of Beasts

-40 Gors, xhw, in horde formation
-assorted Ungor raiders, dogs and chariots

-30 Bestigors, Banner of the long flame
-2x6 Harpyies with ambush

Your cheap units set up your charges, the big ones knock 'em down.
Harpyies go warmachine hunting or kamikaze into units to kill wizards.
The Gor block wiill chew through absolutely anything if buffed by WIldform.

Maan. Thats a bummer

The word "schism" was being used long before i stagnated discussing this aspect

I love how you twist the wording around to make my ideas sound as gay as possible. The empire being more United=/= stronger than ever. Half the fucking population is dead, most villages and small towns have been wiped out, the major cities are damaged, Karl Franz is wounded and can't lead his men into battle, here's a huge influx of refugees from Kislev and the border princes, beastmen, chaos war bands and undead wander freely through the lands, and no one is sure exactly how good or bad of shape the other factions are because they don't have out of universe knowledge on the situation. It's pretty much Post storm of chaos empire with a few changes here and there. The Heirich and Lutipold plot can still remain in a sense because both know the emperor will probably die soon and they'd like to cement their chances over one of the older more experienced elector counts. Valten as a wanderer was the idea, not him and Franz holding hands and skipping happily ever after as they lead the empire to a new age of glory. Valten is pretty much the white dwarf or green knight in this situation. No one commands him to go anywhere, and most people don't even know if he really is alive or it's just a myth. There are just rumors of someone wielding Ghal Maraz leading a small band of Knights who turns up in desperate battles before disappearing back into the wilderness

The current Gelt plot is really bad, there's no need to shoehorn sigmarines in the setting as clockwork golems. I don't see him remainjng as a necromancer, he always hated the idea and only did it because he was desperate and he got tricked.

So, my High Elf timeline for AEF is almost finished, I'll fix up an updated map for it tomorrow, and post the whole thing when it's done

altough I can already say I'm not completely happy with it so many parts are still subject to change.

It's also not exactly detailed since I haven't got the time or the mind to work every high elf character ever named into it, yet.

I hope it gets received well and at least can improve endhammer in some way, even if it's not adapted.

apologies for not actually including the draft, but it's sitting at home

Fresh indeed

>literally reducing Valten to Green Knight status instead of keeping him mysterious

>ghal maraz never returns to the Emperor

don't let this thread die like some Dwarf Kingdoms

Bitching Barak Varr diorama.

>implying the green knight isn't mysterious

>implying a wounded Karl Franz would be able to use it
>implying Ghal Maraz is something all the emperors use and Franz wasn't special for it

according to lexicanum at least, the warhammer is passed between emperors

My dad collected Bretonnia. he had to stop when he got saddled with more work. Nowadays he's starting to work less, so he went back to look at Warhammer fantasy, looking to pick up the hobby again, maybe start off with painting a little.

He got so sad.

>>literally reducing Valten to Green Knight status instead of keeping him mysterious
>>ghal maraz never returns to the Emperor
I'd think the GK and White Dwarf are pretty mysterious.

Also I do think if Valten's an avatar of Sigmar he should probably be able to summon up a purely spiritual duplicate of Ghal Maraz.

It's not like Grimnir is unarmed because Gotrek and Thorgrim have his axes after all. (Hell even the White Dwarf has a spiritual duplicate of one of the Grimnir axes)

I've only played Medieval 2 and Empire, so which would you say the game takes more after?

Neither is particularly similar to it.

>Also I do think if Valten's an avatar of Sigmar he should probably be able to summon up a purely spiritual duplicate of Ghal Maraz.
Doesn't work like that, at least for Ghal Maraz.
It's actually just a very powerful runic weapon.
There was actually a fair bit of politics involved in Karl Franz bestowing it upon Valten.

Empire has better artillery and gun combat.

Medieval has better everything else.

Rome-Warhammer is shit tier total war. And that's saying something because Empire used to be "the bad one."

When sigmar returned as Karl Franz Ascended he was able to summon a spiritual duplicate to Ghal Maraz, so it's not entirely out of the question for Valten to be able to do it. Though if he is still out there White Dwarf style, it would orobabky make for sense for him to use the actual hammer

How do Bretonnians on Crusade attack cities? I can't imagine them hauling trebuchets around, and nothing they have can really do shit against walls. thousands of Knights may be scary on the open field, but they're fucked as soon as they have to attack settlements.

Yet now that its owner is divine duplicates don't seem so far fetched.

But the White Dwarf's own axe is a duplicate of the axe Grimnir left behind, the physical one is in the hands of Thorgrimm Grudgebearer.

They build the siege engines on site.

Atilla and Warhammer are fine

They fight on foot.

They have peasants build trebuchets. Sure, they're a little outdated by the standards of the Empire or the Dwarves, but being able to sling a rock over high walls really easily has its perks.

What I really don't get is why they use trebuchets in open battle. Something like a onager or a ballista would be far more useful against enemy soldiers, with a trebuchet only really being good against fortifications.

I honestly think I've played more of Beginning of the End Times than I have Warhammer: Total War.
To be fair that's mostly because me and a friend played hotseat campaigns in it all summer.

yup
attila best historic title,
warham best total war in general

Fucking lies. Medieval 2 is clearly and obviously the best total war and the best historic. It's not even a contest.

Rage of the Dark Gods (the old warhammer mod for Medieval 2) does cavalry so much superior to Total Warhammer it's a fucking joke. Same goes for artillery. The only place the actual total warhammer is better is in monstrous units and graphics.

Fall of the Samurai is still my favorite Total War game. Mostly because the HP system triggers me for reasons I can't fully articulate, I liked the wound system more.

Surround the city, cut off all supply lines and reinforcements, and give the city an ultimatum: they can either huge behind their walls like faggots and die of starvation, or come out and fight like men.

peasants build siege towers and battering rams

open the gates

knights ride in

No one parties like the poop smiths

Medieval 2 is only a good Total War game if you count its mods. And even if you do, it still loses out badly to Roma Surrectum for Rome 1.

How about some fitting WFB music?

youtube.com/watch?v=2MImv7d8-DI

1. Medieval 2's cavalry and unit collision is better than all of them sans mods.

2. Of course you count mods. And Roma Surrectum has NOTHING on shit like Third Age. Rome 1 is #2 in my book.

youtube.com/watch?v=YQS4o_bYA_M

>And Roma Surrectum has NOTHING on shit like Third Age
>Third Age

The mod where Orcs can have leadership attributes that aren't Dread? Son...

Also, Bretonnian knights can fight on foot if need be. It's not as if an unhorsed knight simply surrenders.

youtu.be/epzNDl6JpMo

Orcish loyalty is still loyalty, mate. LotR orcs weren't dumb brutes and animals. Sure, almost all 'loyalty' was bought through fear, but the Uruk-Hai didn't follow Saruman out of fear. He created them and they were loyal.

Similarly, who would you rather follow? A dark lord that promises you the world or the shiny dude who says you're evil for how you're born? (And sure, you might be evil for how you're born, but still!)

I know it wasn't perfect, but it's a far more impressive mod.

Conan always the best.

That's why I like Endhammer's Grimgor = Conan jokes.

"AND UNTO THIS... GRIMGOR! DESTINED TO BEAR THE JEWELED CROWN OF CATHAY UPON A TROUBLED BROW."

>tfw no rules for the epic flying towers

There's rules for towers, right? Wouldn't be that hard to make them floating.

>you're evil for how you were born
People should read Paradise Lost.

>how does someone behave when he knows he cannot overtake his opposition but has no alternative than to oppose it.

the only thing that troubles Grimgor at the moment is who to fight next

Well, after destroying Cathay and getting the crown he will have run out of humies to kill.