Me and some friends want to play in the steven universe setting but don't know what system to use

Me and some friends want to play in the steven universe setting but don't know what system to use

preferably something that handles
>modern age technology and maybe beyond
>summonable semi-permanent weapons
>good variation of melee combat
>a certain degree of magic
>flexibility for races to be modified a bit

the rest is extras, unless there's anything that can handle more than one player becoming one being or controlling a bigger character in unison

i'm completely lost

this is not a steven universe thread, please don't derail it with waifuposting or whatever, keep it Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

sharp-big.tumblr.com/post/144490072180/its-done-that-said-photoshop-is-a-bit-weird
youtube.com/watch?v=aJo_3B5-1uk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You could try FATAL

Seems good for someone like you.

Based on everything I've heard about both, Anima would reflect SU's action quite well.

If you want the fusion stuff to be prominent you should go narrative, though. I'd recommend a flavor of either Fate, or Cortex Plus.

my suggestion is to try d20 basic.
the system is simple and streamlined but with enough crunch to feel good.
Use 5e bounded accuracy and magic or Mutants and Masterminds super powers.
You could try and just go M&M but for me the combat is too bog down by rolls. But thats my taste if you enjoy the combat M&M is the perfect system for you.
Boy would I love to play a Steven U game.

Our group is currently playing a game in the setting, DM is using Savage Worlds. We've been playing for a good while now, so far it's worked pretty well. Only problem I've seen yet is how the system can be highly lethal, which makes it difficult for the few human characters we have. The gem characters by comparison usually aren't in any sort of risk like that.

The GM can stat fusions as separate characters in any system. It cuts down on powergaming.

Someone did try to did this. Maybe you like that

sharp-big.tumblr.com/post/144490072180/its-done-that-said-photoshop-is-a-bit-weird

Why are you on Veeky Forums if you're so easily triggered?

You could have characters need to practice together before they're able to fuse. So the DM has a week's notice to stat out the fusion.

Maybe 49080012 thought Veeky Forums was his Safe Space.

I think I saw something where someone made 5e rules for gem characters. Dunno where to look, though.

Savage Worlds

Mutants and Masterminds

Not a bad idea, actually.
Now that I think about it, Basic d20 would be great for those sorts of games that would need compromise to sit better in a system.

>captcha: select all storefronts
>a store is literally called 'maymay'
That's pretty good.

Gem orifices are variable due to shape shifting, same with the "width between thumb and index finger" stat - it'd be a nightmare of having to constantly recalculate your character sheet anytime anyone shape shifted even a little.

Why not FATE?

That is amethyst

nice strawmanning faggot

If you actually had a group or actually played games you wouldn't even have posted this thread, you'd have been able to figure it on on your own.

see i'll try it out!

i'll give mutants and masterminds a good look, it's one of the names that actually did pop up in the group but none of us know shit about it

one of the guys playing has a grudge against it, i'm not gonna question him for it

>traditional games discussion board
>it's wrong to post about traditional games in it
hahaha oh wow, here's one final (You)

That's quite a common filename joke.

I find a lot of irony in this.

But jokes aside, why not gurps?

The Gems are solid light projections from their cores, so why not build them as Human Scale Mecha in Mekton Z?
Treat the gems as reactors/cockpits, that way you have the occasional tragic/critical hit to the gem, as the show demonstrates.

Mekton is also good with the interactions of human/gem, and an easy way to handle gem fusions.

Seconding this.

This is a really sharp idea, though the weapons might be kind of tricky.

Wild Talents and ORE are where it's at.
Gems would have very large point pools to build their characters, but would have difficulty gaining addition points overtime.
The system is totally capable of accurately stating Lapis Lazuli's ability to manipulate all the water of the Earth's oceans.

I'm also interested in the idea of a SU game, but my question is 'what would it be about'? I haven't come to a satisfactory answer yet.

I'm more than a little amused by the idea of statting up Garnet as a roadstriker class mecha with a cockpit in each arm.
Pearl and Jasper have the battletech classic of head-mounted cockpits, while Amethyst has the torso-cockpit as seen in gundam designs.

Weapons are held within the reactor, regardless of space.

Armor is optional.

There are gems. In our water.
The snake people are trying to turn us into geologists.

Only if you agree that Amethyst is the worst fucking character possible and should have been shattered inna kindergarten via earthquake.

I really like Chuubo for SU stuff actually; it's narratively flexible and flows pretty well from slice-of-life to more dramatic events without one or the other feeling glossed over. That said, as with many narrative-focused games it requires a lot of player commitment to telling a story.

Mine is Star Trek style space exploration, the first ship fielded to have a crew loyal to all four diamonds. Been going well so far, and would recommend if other people are at a loss for a setting. Distancing it from Homeworld makes it easy to come up with session ideas, and makes it less likely for all of your lore to be invalidated as the show reveals more

OVA

Chuubo's, or maybe something like Fate or Heroquest, would be the way I'd go.

Steven Universe has fights and gem powers and stuff, but it's not really about that - whether characters win in a fight is really much more tied to their emotional state then their abilities.

Cortex

>makes it less likely for all of your lore to be invalidated as the show reveals more
Boy howdy did that kill the gemsona market.

And then GATTAI!?
youtube.com/watch?v=aJo_3B5-1uk

What? What happened?

GURPS

from what i can tell, gems in GURPS will be horiffically high in point value due to the sheer amount of stuff they're not really affected by and don't need to do
that said, some of that stuff can be largely glossed over or tossed into one big 'gem stuff' advantage to give to gem players instead of trying to model everything gems can do with advantages, especially things that won't often come up anyway

also GURPS might end up being a little too lethal by default

It's the all jedi no jedi problem, updated for the 2010s

>one big 'gem stuff' advantage
That'd be a racial template. A horrifically expensive one.

Yeah I can't imagine why they wanted humans next to immortal space entities as player characters.

They aren't individual, only specific types of gems get created and in large numbers

For instance, a pearl isn't a name, it's a designation

I personally chose human because I don't watch the show so I'm not familiar with how gems function or how to play one. The other player wanted it because she thought it would be more interesting playing a handicapped character when all the others are gems. After having played the campaign so far after many months, I'm kind of in agreement with her. There's definitely an appeal and a certain amount of charm, to playing a completely mundane normal human in an otherwise highly supernatural setting, where even the other party characters are strange, super strong and durable space alien rock monsters.

I've found it's more fun playing an underpowered character than an overpowered one, it's required more planning, teamwork, and creativity for it, and is strangely rewarding.

Not sure why that killed the gemsona thing. Gems, within Homeworld society, are all expected to conform to norms. The Crystal Gems defy those norms. It's not like this shows LGBT culture leanings weren't clear from the start.

Its implied that humans participated in the rebellion, shown that an adult with a crude spear can fight corrupt gems with some difficulty, and even a 12 year old girl can fight corruptions/fusion experiments if they have some training and a good weapon. So they are supposed to be useful, just horribly outclassed compared to proper gems that actually know how to fight.

Its also worth noting that Homeworld started making subpar rushed gems halfway through the war, and sometime after that ran into a resource shortage that forced them to make gems with gimped bodies/powers. Humans wouldn't always have to deal with powerful "healthy" gems like most of the main cast, they could get lucky and encounter their equivalent of malnourished Ethiopians.

Have they given you Gem tech to compensate? ie. Connie has Rose's sword, so she can cut down any Gem, she just needs to not get hit.

Well in our game at least, us human characters are the skill monkeys so it balances it out against the more combat-oriented gem characters. We're very useful in our own way, though the other human is a pretty good fighter by human standards.

Not my character yet no, and given how long the game has been going I'd not be surprised if he ever does. The other character though, less that she's been given gem tech and more that her body got gem affected in a bad way. I imagine things to get worse for her, while at the same time making her more powerful as a result.

Your group sounds fun. I have a really hard time getting to go along with bad things happening to them for dramatic affect. I have the stereotypical, "I'd rather die than be taken prisoner" group.

>The Crystal Gems defy those norms.

They try, but they can't actually defy their role, just change it slightly or pile extra hobbies on top to hide it. Its an inherent part of what they are, that's why Rose was interested in humanity and decided to suicide by murdercock. She thought it was the key to escaping the hardcoded caste system.

>Pearl still a slavishly devoted servant
>Rose and Amethyst still born fighters that solve their problems by getting mad and punching them
>Ruby and Sapphire just dodge the issue by staying fused 24/7
>Bismuth still a designated builder

Yeah I can see how that would be a problem. Our group is content to do entirely roleplay, which I guess works for this setting at least since we're open to, and have had fun playing entire sessions just about mundane happenings in the setting like cleaning up a beach or going shopping for groceries.

From what I know of the show, normal everyday stuff like that tends to happen now and again.

And a woman still bleeds once a month, but she can choose to have a career or a family. Defiance of norms doesn't change what you are, but what you do with who you are.

Yes, Pearl is still fastidious, which makes her the one who does the most cleaning, but she's a scientist and a fighter.

Yeah, they're called "townie" episodes.

Ah ok. Yeah the DM has roughly balanced the game so far by about half mundane sessions, half action/combat sessions.

Well, the last several having to do with the other human, have been mostly action. But I feel it has a strong plot weight to it.

That's pretty much the rhythm of the show. Back and forth between townie and Gem episodes, with some like the dream warrior episode that are sort of both, usually ending the season or mid season with a two to three episode action arc.

Ah ok that makes a lot of sense now. I guess then we're nearing the end of the "season".

For gems, what they do IS who they are. Like I said, they can pile things on top like science or fighting, but Pearl isn't just fastidious, she's built to be servant and will naturally fall into that role no matter what she personally wants. She can change the person she serves and the way she serves, but from what we know of gems she would never be able to completely disregard her nature and go live as a hermit or something.

You're comparing it to periods but its more like having the career built in.

You could have said Clarence or uncle grandpa rpg.

Fuck you op

Uncle Grandpa is a long running game of Baron Munchausen gone off the rails.

Who the fuck enjoys this shit, its even worse than adventure time.

it sure is tabletop here