Are these words and phrases acceptable dialogue for a hotheaded pyromancer in a medieval/renaissance fantasy setting?

Are these words and phrases acceptable dialogue for a hotheaded pyromancer in a medieval/renaissance fantasy setting?

>Super gross
>Beefslab
>Gids
>hell no
>Come the hell on
>Jerk
>Easy, big fella. Not attacking mom.
>Sowwy
>The hell.
>punchybag
>blah blah blah
>FFFFFFFFF...
>super embarrassing
>super dog noses
>freaking idiot
>SHUT UP SHUT UP.
>WHAT IS COMING OUT OF MY FACE?
>super pi—uh, real angry,
>WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST SAY?
>...I think I'm gonna puke.
>made you feel weird
>SorryIblewupyourthingy
>Big Sis

Other urls found in this thread:

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/136973929583/so-the-gatewatch-is-magics-avengers-or-justice
markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/136974325163/is-the-gatewatch-like-the-forming-of-magics
markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/119241875798/would-you-ever-do-a-superhero-themed-set-or-does
markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/147522200228/when-it-comes-to-the-gatewatch-my-main-concern-is
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>big sis
>not Onee-chan

Rejected.

Depends on the setting.

Yes.

>Onee-chan
>not Onee-sama

Coach died for this

Yes they are.

It's a medieval/renaissance fantasy setting. Literally said in the OP, you non-answering fuckboy.

No you fucking faggot you aren't playing some kind of MLP RP game.

Good thing mtg is neither medieval nor renaissance on most of its planes.

> Buzzwords make the setting!
There's a lot of leeway in medieval/renaissance fantasy, but of course everything is always exactly the same, right?

Man, don't even bother playing semantics to try and defend your dumb passive aggressive forced meme.

>Are these words and phrases acceptable dialogue for a hotheaded pyromancer in a medieval/renaissance fantasy setting?
>fantasy setting
>FANTASY

Yes, they are. Even "Yo, wassap?" is fine.

>Onee-sama
>not Aneue

Butadomo pls go

When you speak in character, you are translating the language of the setting into contemporary English.

There's no need to stylistically try to make it sound slightly archaic and Lord of the Ringsy. People do, just for flavour, but that's just another approach and it's not a requirement.

Really the only thing to avoid are anachronisms or cultural/historical references that wouldn't even exist in setting.

And that's more due to it being weird to refer to anything in the last 100 years because people will know it is an out of setting reference.

Stuff that's older can get snuck in (like Chess)

MaRo has now stated multiple times that Magic is a super hero/comic book setting, not a fantasy setting. This changed with the Jacetice Legue, which he got so assblasted about.

If you still follow the lore of magic just kys, it's beyond saving at this point

... I think it's more that it's the same tone as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, just not based on a reality as heavily tided to our own.

(And explicit translation convention.)

magic is not medieval, renaissance, or fantasy

>markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/136973929583/so-the-gatewatch-is-magics-avengers-or-justice

>markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/136974325163/is-the-gatewatch-like-the-forming-of-magics

>markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/119241875798/would-you-ever-do-a-superhero-themed-set-or-does

>markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/147522200228/when-it-comes-to-the-gatewatch-my-main-concern-is

Jesus is older but if your characters are shouting "Jesus fucking Christ, that's some fine orc dick right there!" then that's doing it wrong.

>all dat tumblr

Don't want to chance it.

there have been multiple planes with high-technology.

Chandra is from one of these planes.

>implying that Jesus Chirst isn't part of a current religion.

So many sects, so little time.

Magic isn't pure Tolkien emulation fantasy with how it handles language.

It is still fantasy as your third link points out.

>MFW when they add that xir shit to the card text, I swear to God if they do that I am quiting the game

Are we witnessing the death of MTG?

>he doesn't have christianity in his settings
Heathens leave this place

Are those really things Chandra said? I stopped reading MTG Lore before Emrakul got summoned to Innistrad because I couldn't take it anymore; it was just absolute garbage but I didn't think it'd turn into that.

people ITT are salty about Chandra being Jaya Ballard?

"GOTCHA!"
—Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

Yes, I think ‘toast' is an appropriate description.—Jaya Ballard, task mage

"Overkill? This isn't a game of Kick-the-Ouphe!"
—Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

"Who needs the sun when you've got me around?"
—Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

"Eenie, meenie, minie, moe . . . oh, why not all of them?"
—Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

"Anybody want some . . . toast?"
—Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

"Walls? What walls?"
—Jaya Ballard, task mage

The following most likely will happen:
1. WotC alienates most of the original base and focus on tumblr teens being the four fount of the new modern (Origins forward). And just does the summer product and the EDH product for those that stay.
2. It's proven that this pandering shit brings in no money and it's dropped and the fag behind it gets fired.
3. America culture shifts conservative again and this trans shit is proven to be a fad after the mass suicides and feminism goes the way of the hippie as it stops making money and women have to relay on marriage or hard work to survive.
4. Nothing changes and the game gets more PC, but people are to beta to stay up against it.
Mfw

>Implying that the OP's bitching wasn't already a forced meme.

Fuck things are looking pretty bad

It was already dead.
ATATATATATATATATATATA

The only thing I know is that the WOW level of kaladesh is killing me.

Filthy commies.

>MtG is Medieval/Renaissance

How has constantly choking on cocks affected your day to day life?

As long as it doesn't reference tech/cultural things that don't exist in the setting, it's acceptable. Barely.

Jaya is funny
Chandra sounds like a fucking 15-year old tumblr hot topic uggs quirky piece of shit

user, most "magic players" these days don't know who Jaya is.
Don't worry, she is set for a cameo soon.

Oh god
>tfw they dumb her down and make her '''''''random''''''' for the tumblr autists
>tfw she becomes bland and weird as opposed to clever and wiseassy
e n d m y f u c k i n g l i f e

Looking pretty good from my end.

Relax, it might not happen.

>medieval/renaissance fantasy setting?
She's from Kaladesh and living on Ravnica. The fuck are you talking about.

The difference between "Yes, I think 'toast' is an appropriate description" and "super pi—uh, real angry" should be obvious to anyone who isn't clinically autistic.

Yes. Because we're already accepting that magic exists, which would have a fairly profound effect on the vocabulary.

Besides which, I will guarantee that most of what you posted still has some kind of Medieval equivalent. Unless you seriously expect your players to take Middle English language classes, it can be presumed that there's a "translation convention" in effect to get the *meaning* across even if the words aren't accurate.

Like, do you really think that Middle English (or whatever) had no rough equivalent to calling someone a "jerk"?

"Jerk" is a word only little kids use. It sounds ridiculous.

First, no it isn't.

Second, that is clearly not my point.

has a point. "super gross," "freaking idiot," "super dog noses," "super pi-uh, real angry," and "super embarrassing" are all offenders for the same reason. Then, there's more modern slang, like "the hell," "blah blah blah," and "Easy, big fella." Honestly, I don't have a problem with them using more modern slang, but I do have a problem with them speaking as college Tumblrites.

>"Jerk" is a word only little kids use. It sounds ridiculous.
Some of the others yea but jerk is used a lot

Literally this.
If anything planeswalkers should have weird planar cant like in D&D.

>modern

Relative to which plane, exactly?

>but I do have a problem with them speaking as college Tumblrites.

Oh sweet summer child. This kind of slang was in use before Tumblr was event a glint in the eye of whoever created it. And all of it is just modern versions of phrases that have been around since the dawn of man.

"Easy big fella" = "Stand easy, stalwart friend."
"Blah blah blah" = "Must you prattle on?"

It's just that the alternative sounds incredibly archaic and ridiculous to modern ears.

"The Hell" shouldn't even qualify since it's just a truncated version of "What the Hell".

Again, unless you seriously want people to start taking archaic languages classes AND are thereby okay with characters sounding like they just escaped from a Shakespearean play, just lie back and think of England.

I want this very badly. the cant of sigil was a very neat little detail. the smatter a little bit if it, mostly by hijacking existant metaphors and comparing to baloths or other fantasy things instead of something like "I could eat a horse" but that feels so forced. make real slang.

She got one, on Pyromancer's Goggles.

>Relative to which plane, exactly?
I don't know, Theros? Kaladesh? Dominia, Vryn, or Zendikar? Seems like they should be talking with the mannerisms of their home plane, right?

>before Tumblr
Emphasis on the "college" more than the Tumblr, I suppose. But you know, I have to ask - would you be okay with them speaking in Australian slang? Inner-city ghetto? British white boys ("I'll fight your nan outsidea Tesco's")? Because somehow, I doubt you would. What's the difference, you're used to it?

>archaic language classes
You're going to an extreme. How about something like...oh, I don't know, the speech patterns they used on the past few planes we've visited? Because those have been fine.

>But you know, I have to ask - would you be okay with them speaking in Australian slang? Inner-city ghetto? British white boys ("I'll fight your nan outsidea Tesco's")? Because somehow, I doubt you would. What's the difference, you're used to it?
No, because wotc is American and it's primarily in American English, you fucking retard.

There was some dumb shit in the article but you're seriously grasping for straws at things to be angry about.

And what exactly has that to do with what slang the characters - who, need I remind you, are not American - use?

It has to do with the majority of the writers and readers of the stories.

>would you be okay with them speaking in Australian slang? Inner-city ghetto? British white boys ("I'll fight your nan outsidea Tesco's")

Not the mention of Tesco's, since it probably doesn't exist in-universe and would feel as out-of-place as a mention of Kleenex.

Otherwise, though, you have greatly misjudged the person you are talking to - I'd be perfectly okay with it. Hell, I encourage it.

"I'll fry you like me barbie'd shrimp ya cunt!"

>Seems like they should be talking with the mannerisms of their home plane, right?

And how do you know Chandra or Jace aren't? We've barely been to either plane. Chandras' method of speech and thought in her Origin more or less match up to the slang she's used elsewhere. And on Vryn the character who spends the most time speaking, after Jace, is a stuck-up noble Sphinx, who should not be taken as indicative of what typical Vrynnish vulgate sounds like.

Please, specify.

>I encourage it
Then I have greatly misjudged you. You are exactly the audience they are writing for, and it appears that I am not.

>How do you know
Well, it doesn't matter what the Vrynnish vulgate is, because if you spend enough time around someone (like Jace did) you emulate their patterns of speech. He might be more suited to Ravnica at this point, though.

>Please, specify.
The majority of the writers and readers of the URs are American, and as such will most likely be more familiar with ""American"" styled slang (even though most of what was in the story wasn't even "American" slang).

Baan or whatever his name is talks like you'd expect him to, stuffy blue autist.

>because if you spend enough time around someone (like Jace did) you emulate their patterns of speech

How about aforementioned noble haughty Sphinx who was part of a cabal controlling Vrynn for God knows how long, with a goodly bit of mind control on the side? Jace spent years under this guy.

And that still leaves us with Chandra in her Origin story not talking significantly differently than she has anywhere else, with the caveat that she's a child throughout that - but then again, she left Kaladesh as a child and so probably never learned to change her method of speech into something more adult. Regardless, her talking patterns can probably be taken as being indicitive of typical Kaladeshi working/lower-class slang.

>medieval/renaissance fantasy setting
but... its not

>Come the hell on
this is so funny to me
"the hotheaded character needs to swear, but the only swear we can use is 'hell'"

>Doesn't remember the flesh-machine monstrosities of the 1500s
Plebian

Oh, this is the thread I wanted when I posted these:

>Hell no
>Jerk
>The hell.
>WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST SAY?
>...I think I'm gonna puke
>Big Sis

These are acceptable. Gids is okay as a tongue-in-cheek insult/pet name, but everything else is garbage.

yfw user wasn't compleated