Would it make sense for a young adventuring knight to disregard plate armor because he considers it a pain in the ass...

Would it make sense for a young adventuring knight to disregard plate armor because he considers it a pain in the ass to put it on and off all the time? I want him to disregard the stereotypical knight look and fighting style yet still being more chivalrous than most traditional knights.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k24y_ZmxRHg
youtube.com/watch?v=SvJFoOEOYpE
youtube.com/watch?v=COAIQPsgZWY
youtu.be/5hlIUrd7d1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=llPAuGy6XvQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If he's traveling alone he's not traveling in plate armor. Even if he wants to.

Full plate requires the help of another to take off/put on. If he's traveling alone/without a squire he'd definitely have something simpler to store and wear. Probably a mail shirt and a helmet.

Plate armor doesn't mean a knight will be chivalrious.

Chivalry is not something you can buy: it's how you behave with other people that makes you honorable or not. So yeah, you could potentially have a fighter that does not wear plate armor be all cool and chivalrious and stuff.

No it would not make sense. A bit of discomfort is worth being that well protected.

Chivalry is not an act of donning equipment of a specific type.
It's medieval combat etiquette and virtuous behavior.

In addition, most knights wouldn't wear plate ALL the time. One of the primary reasons you had a squire is because you literally needed help to put that shit on in the first place due to not being able to reach the fastenings and such.
Armor wasn't worn 24/7 like some weird videogame hero, people would take it OFF if they weren't on active duty or weren't expeting any combat at the moment.

That's why rogues wear plate right?

>Full plate requires the help of another to take off/put on.
Not really, its just a bit more fiddly.

youtube.com/watch?v=k24y_ZmxRHg

Bullshit in Skyrim and Dark Souls you can put armor on and off in a second without any help.

A bit cliche but have him being a squire who took over for his knight master? Being more comfortable in lesser armor or that the plate got damaged/destroyed. Usually it's plate or bust even if it's a hassle because of how good protection it gives which is why you would have a squire to help you.

I'm sure there are ways to make this work.

"Rogues" are a vernacular for unsavory individuals or a name for a Dungeons and Dragons character class.

No system had been discussed by OP.

That guy had help.

Ah fuck you guys I still want my knight to wear light armor.

If you're going by fantasy rules then do whatever the hell you want because medieval fantasy is almost about as far removed from actual medieval times as the modern day.

If you're going by an actual medieval Europe, then if you can afford, and have purchased, plate armor you are going to use it. Not using plate armor that you have would be like owning a sports car and then never driving it. In addition, if you don't wear your plate armor on the battlefield you could very easily die so choosing not to wear it is basically a Darwin Award.

Also plate armor is not that hard to put on.

So then make him wear light armor.
Who gives a shit? It's your character.
You didn't even specify a system, so we just answered using the only baseline into we had to work with; what happens in real life.

Completely reasonable. It's not a question of how comfortable or hot Armour is to wear it's just the same as any other heavy clothes you don't want to be wearing it when the bulk of your day is hiking and exploring.

That said I play Swashbucklers every time so what do I know.

Then go for it, not all knights can afford plate armor or as said prefer it. And my word correction keeps bugging me writing armor instead of armour. I should reset it to English US instead.

>You can put armor on by yourself
>Links a video of a man who requires help to get into his armor.

Half of those ties wouldn't even be workable one-handed.

Then just make him not wealthy enough to afford proper plate armor.

>And my word correction keeps bugging me writing armor instead of armour.

Armour, like colour, is the objectively superior spelling of the word.

Swashbucklers were in a completely different time period in comparison to medieval times. The closest analogy would be duelists who were not used on any form of sensible battlefield.

>And my word correction keeps bugging me writing armor instead of armour. I should reset it to English US instead.
'Armor' is the U.S. English version of the word. What are you on about?

You could add that you are always on the move and only fighting in skirmishes so not so much time to stop and put it on or move with it constantly, not having a horse? You can fluff out the backstory pretty well or just say because i want to be it like that.

Chivalry comes from the heart after all.

youtube.com/watch?v=SvJFoOEOYpE

If you're going for "more chivalrous than the average bear," maybe he doesn't believe that he should spend the ludicrous amounts of capital necessary on a suit of full plate. Maybe he doesn't want to draw attention to himself, but instead just do good for the sake of doing good, often without the recognition of townsfolk.

but along that line of thought we'd yet again be confusing adventuring and weapon ownership and use in the Middle ages as exclusively battlefield related. It wasn't remotely.

I mean to simplify things to the extent we'd say that a Knight is inseparable from his armour we'd also have to say that he's equally inseparable from his horse and a Knight fighting in a group averaging around 3-5 members like an average game wouldn't last long certainly on foot anyway on the battlefield. This has nothing to do with Battle.

>The closest analogy would be duelists who were not used on any form of sensible battlefield.
How do you think Knights learned to fight? There's no such thing as a dedicated duelist. Anyone who's dueling is a duelist.

>Would it make sense for a young adventuring knight to disregard plate armor because he considers it a pain in the ass to put it on and off all the time?
Depends on a lot of things. If he's actually out to make a name as a knight, he better have the gear to prove that he belongs to the actual class.
If he's going to war, he better have the best gear he can get his hands on.
If he's just traveling and happens to get into trouble with the locals, he will most likely have to do without armor.

Yes, it makes perfect sense. Not all knights were rich enough to afford fully enclosing plate and even if you had it you would not be wearing all the time while traveling anyway because that would be like bringing a warm coat with you for when it gets cold (when you're going to fight) at night, but wearing it during the heat of the day.

Brigandine is an easy and comfortable solution if you expect some kind of violence while traveling and it doesn't look like armor from a distance.

I think that using a non-plate armor might make more sense travelling and if he were less noteworthy if the setting had plate as a symbol of wealth or power. He also might not be able to afford it or travel with it if he doesn't have a warband. If he's a Hedge Knight, he could prefer a haubergeon with a gambeson under it and have a decent helm. The real answer is as usual "Do what fits the setting."

In this case I feel like a general "adventurer" type wouldn't walk around with a ton of plate on or off because he's a traveller, not a fielded knight, since you said he was an adventurer. Perhaps other "adventuring" knights don't travel far from an urban centre or travel with a retinue of people. It's possible, just needs a story justification and a decent and practical replacement. It could even become a facet of his story if he were to fight plate wearing bastards often and just be used to his hauberk. Still, it's completely up to you and what fits your game and players best.

Brigandine is pretty comfy and is basically armored jacket.

Full Plate wasn't invented until very late, after the proliferation of early firearms.

Traditionally, Knights and similar lower nobility soldiers wore either a coat-of-plates, or a shitload of chainmail with proper padding and some plated parts.

And the fuck does that have to do with RPG games which mix late middle ages with dark ages and ancient times with some dwarfs and elves trhown in?

AAAAAAAANTS!!!

I suspect when you are alone and especially if you fight giant scary monsters, your only real defense is to not get hit. Mobility is everything. Maybe heavy armour can save you from swords, claws and teeth, but you are swarmed and pushed on the ground, or knocked down with enough blunt force, you will wish they'd tear you apart already.

>I only ever played dnd

Nobody will care enough to ask

I remember reading a fantasy series where the heroes were all knights, and in fact they all HATED wearing plate armor. It was hot, heavy, and it smelled bad. The only times they put it on was for ceremony, or if they knew they were going to be riding into a pitched battle well ahead of time. Other than that they stuck to mail shirts. I thought that was a pretty neat touch.

Mail would feel heavier than plate because of weight distribution but the hot part actually is legit. I'm surprised people didn't pass out in summer.

No, because not dying is a thing. Also, clothing, weapons and armor aren't just utilitarian; they signal who the fuck you are. They tell that jackass who's hogging the road that it's not just another sellsword approaching, it's a fucking legit knight and he better move his ass because (insert SEAL copypasta). If you want to be taken seriously by anyone, you have plate and a squire to help you put it on.

If you're consistently fighting you will get hit. A lot.

You want armor.

Plate is to period armsmen as mchineguns are to infantry or rifles to cops: only carried around if expecting trouble.

A brigandine vest was more common for day-to-day travel. Mail shirts would be an acceptable fantasy equivalent.

If he's travelling through fairly rough lands, then he's best off wearing a gambeson and plackart, with the option of wearing a helmet or not depending on the situation. Trust me, a gambeson is far, far comfier to wear than a suit of plate.

I know of at least one account of two knights beating the shit out of each other in heavy mail and both dying of heat exhaustion.

Late gothic plate is a huge pain in the ass to get into and out of, and is ill suited for long distance travel for weeks under the hot sun, so yes. Assuming plate is available and he can afford it, he still probably wears a breastplate, or at least coat-of-plates.

Your a faggots

>Chivalry is not something you can buy: it's how you behave with other people that makes you honorable or not.

>Chivalry is not an act of donning equipment of a specific type.
>It's medieval combat etiquette and virtuous behavior.

>If you're going for "more chivalrous than the average bear," maybe he doesn't believe that he should spend the ludicrous amounts of capital necessary on a suit of full plate.

This is why I love knights, and this is also why I love Veeky Forums
>mfw nobless oblige

why are gambesons so patrician, Veeky Forums?

Because they look like jackets and not ''heat death - the armor'' like plate or other shit. And fuck samurai armor too.

>Would it make sense for a young adventuring knight to disregard plate armor
It would make sense for everyone. Plate armor is a pain in the ass when it comes to wearing and maintaining it. A typical adventurer has almost nothing to gain by having it.

Just think about it. As an adventurer your life involves a lot of travel, sleeping on the road and fighting when you might least expect it. Plate armor is generally not very comfortable to wear. It doesn't breathe, it will roast you during summer time and freeze you in winter. The elements will wear it down into rust and if you get into an ambush or something, you can forget about just slipping it on very quickly. Oh, and if you're thinking it's great as a status symbol, congratulations, you've just loudly told everyone you're rich as fuck. You can might as well stick a huge "please attack, rob and ransom me" sign on your back.

Your typical adventurer would be best served by a brigantine, chain shirt, or something along those lines.

I'd prefer walking around naked to show off my muscles and dick.

>why are gambesons so patrician, Veeky Forums?
They are not. But they're associated with horsemen, which is not the vocation of the poor.

youtube.com/watch?v=COAIQPsgZWY
Hella long video about armors, might be of help.

youtu.be/5hlIUrd7d1Q
Also this one because why not, I like it.

I like gambesons visuals but were they useful? IIRC they were used as a padding for the armor, no?

A Gambeson is generally the term used for padded armor worn as the primary defense. It's surprisingly effective against cuts and thrusts, and can easily save your life. Padding was worn under armor, but it was generally much thinner and usually gets called a different name by modern scholars, like aketon.

Have fun getting fucking stabbed by the first dirty peasant you glance at in the wrong way, "knight".

What a fucking retarded thing to say. If you walk down the street you're getting stabbed in your third world shithole too? Is everyone in your town wearing plate?

If he's a knight errant without a mercenary company, he's dirt poor. He might not have plate.

>I only ever played dnd
>or Warhammer, or 13th Age, or Burning Wheel, or Dragon Age or most other fantasy rpgs

Don't worry. Brigandine(+Mail+Gambeson) is a viable historical alternative.

People don't just go around wearing or carrying a full plate harness. Give him a gambeson, a mail shirt and a light helmet. Maybe a brigandine. If he's going to go into an actual battle then he may want to grab his full suit of armor.

youtube.com/watch?v=llPAuGy6XvQ

The only parts he needed help with were the breastplate and the arm defenses. Just have mail and padding protecting your arms and use a brigandine to protect your torso and you're all set.

>Knights spend their entire life in suits of armor, even while going about their daily business.
>It's more uncomfortable to put on protective gear than it is to get a sword through your stupid gut

>>Knights spend their entire life in suits of armor, even while going about their daily business.
You're a moron if you think that.

''only'' one of the most important places to protect yeah

Yeah that's why I said use a brigandine instead of a breastplate.

stop being a faggot

Plate takes about 5 minutes to put on by yourself. Fuck off with your ignorance.

Some rogues do wear plate, especially if they have a level in two or fighter?

"Rogue" was never originally intended to be its own class; in earlier editions, it was a technical class that mostly existed for fighters to get skills from in order to do sneaky stuff.

Evidently, D&D does have the proliferation of early firearms (hint: what is the standard weapon for a Spelljammer), yet people still use it as an argument for/against fantasy gun control even though it has a fucking cowboy gun god.

You're retarded. It's impossible to put full plate armor by yourself.

I'm sorry you're too fat to reach all the buckles and clasps, but most of us can do it.

Holy shit, you are absolutely retarded.

Go for it, user. Deus Vult.

hahahahaha

What the actual fuck

The original DnD classes were Fighter, Thief, Magic User, Elf and Dwarf. What are you ON.

Or maybe your setting/culture hasn't developed advanced enough smelters that they can make a large enough iron bloom to create a good cuirass?

Knights were around for centuries before articulated suits of plate armour were developed.

A Maille Hauberk was the armour of a knight for most of the time period when Knights were a thing.

History says otherwise. Ah, but of course neckbeard "common sense" is above that.

They are faggots. It makes perfect sense for a traveling knight to wear lighter stuff like a brigandine and avoid leg armor if he wants to be comfy for long periods of time.

Of course, it will be logical for him to bring out the full plate for big events.

Are there seriously people who think plate armor is a key part of knighthood? "Knight" is a class and title, a form of lower nobility. Basically someone held to very high standards, both as a warrior and as a member of society. Wearing plate mail was a symbol of wealth and status, hence why many knights could do it while rank-and-file soldiers could not, but the armor had nothing with the knighthood itself.

If you ever read the Elenium series by Eddings, this is what several main characters (all Knights) do. They mostly wear chainmail or similar armour, and keep their full plate stowed in packs until they actually need it. It also lets them move through the area without being noticed like five heavily armoured knights would be.

>yet still being more chivalrous than most traditional knights
Well that part is easy.
What you do is get a horse. Then don't kill anyone with your incredible power of horse riding. You have successfully out chivalried most knights.
That's it. Chivalry at it's most basic reads: So you've got a horse, don't kill all the peasants okay?
So just do that.

>Don't kill peasants
>Don't bugger ladies that aren't yours
Better than most Knights of the Round at that point, really.

The reason he is getting help is not that he could not do it on his own, but to estimate the time it would usually take to put on armour. And though people had servants to help them, it would not be impossible to put on armour on by their own. It would only be impractical and therefore most of the time not be the case.

What slanderous attacks hast thou thrown against my good name, thou contemptible wench? Whereas I have risen even unto the foremost rank in the Royal Admiralty; whereas I have on many an occasion partaken in clandestine crusades against the Saracens; whereas by mine hands have fallen barbarians numbering some fifteen score; whereas I am most skilled in the ways of the ape warrior; whereas I am the premier marksman amongst all of our Kingdom's knights: Thou art in my sights but yet another quarry.

The Lord be my witness, I shall smite thee as no-one under the sun hath heretofore been smitten. Dost thou deign to fancy thyself secure to cast thy spittle upon my face from behind the Spider's Veil? Then thou hast wandered into grievous error. Yea, even at this very moment, I am sending word across the land to my fellow Templars, and the provenance of thy scrivenings shall in short time become known unto me. A veritable maelstrom of vengeance is upon thy gates, thou wretched worm, which surely shall obliterate thy loathsome pretension of life. Truly, thou art foregone, child.

I move as swift as the wind, and with mine own two hands I may at my pleasure slay thee in any of thirty and five score modes. For verily as I am a master in the pugilistic arts, even so doth the manifold armory of the Royal Guard lie at my beck and call, which in its plenitude of power I shall not delay to unleash upon thee, that thy fœtid flesh may no longer pollute this land with its presence, thou pitiful putrescence.

Would that thou couldst have foreseen what great wrath thou hast by thy "brazen" jocosity summoned upon thyself! Perhaps thou wouldst have rather kept shut thy filth-spewing mouth. But neither couldst thou thus foresee, nor didst thou take heed of prudence, and thou art now reaping what thou hast sown, thou accursèd simpleton. I will excrete rage all round about thee, wherein shalt thou be consumed.

Thou hast shuffled off this mortal coil, urchin.

Actual quote from the expert you're citing:
>"In period it's likely that ... you had dedicated servants to help you get armored."

>plate could be put on without help

is this one of these pseudo historical memes that are meant to disprove historical memes that are actually true? Unless you're Mr Fantastic or have Slenderman hands good luck with putting plate on your own.

Particularly custom fitted plate.

Four words
>plate mail poop shutes

Superior armor.

Maybe a combo of these two.