ITT: Things one may encounter when travelling in the city or in the wilderness

ITT: Things one may encounter when travelling in the city or in the wilderness.

>A street urchin runs up the party, hands them a note, and then runs off. The note is a scribbled request to meet someone named "Fig the Fingerless" behind the temple at midnight

>A dog trots past the party, with a jewelled crown settled on its head at a jaunty angle

>A street seller is selling muzzled dragon babies, insisting that they're birds from a distant, exotic land

>A drunken gang war has broken about between two taverns on opposite sides of a busy street

>There is a fire in the upstairs window of a brewery, and the workmen are rolling barrels of beer out into the street to keep them safe from the flames

>A quarrel between two barmaids has turned into a vicious knife-fight in an inn's courtyard. Bystanders are hooting and cheering, making no attempt to seperate the two

>A jester sprints down a street towards the party, pursued by a dozen town guards

I swear if i have to encounter another fucking bear, you would think there are more of them than trees in the forest.

I hope they encounter a better weaponsmith.

You come across a group of a dozen bears in the woods. Upon closer inspection you find local villagers carving bear statues from trees to scare off nosy adventurers.

God damn it

According to roll20?

>a group of shemale acrobat elves having a small orgy who quite violently invite you to join them off the side of the road

>a hobo having consensual sex with a dog down an alley

>the halfling mafia taking out human mafia men execution style with crossbows who are NOT happy you saw any of this in the middle of the forest
>they have to stand on each others shoulders for proper height and angle

>a West Side Story fight between elves and orcs
>all undeniably flaming homos

>a back alley abortion clinic

>a drow hobo encampment who have a great dislike of women of any kind

>whatayabuyin? Whatayasellin? Type creeper who sells things for mysterious and nonsensical currencies

>a man in a leather BDSM suit with a collar that says FIDO
>this is the missing dog you've seen posters about
Bonus:
>you need that fucking money cause the bard has a problem
>you find out the leather isn't polished it's just drenched in lube
>you NEED that cashmoneys or you'll all die next fight most likely

>local bears take to making mating challenges to the carvings in front of females as they know its a sure win
>the local bear to tree ratio skyrockets

>A party of kobolds dressed and equipped exactly like the PCs is walking down the street. They stop at stare at the PCs, before turning and walking hurriedly away in the other direction

>A cart has collapsed after its wheel fell off. Many the chickens it was carrying have escaped, and are now running down the street in fright

>A street preacher is stood on a corner, preaching that the end times are nigh. He commands everyone within earshot to repent, and convert to his faith

>A lone swordsman is offering a prize to anyone who can defeat him in a duel. Several people have already tried, and been struck senseless with non-lethal blows

>A bard is marching down the street, strumming his lute. A line of some 20-odd pigs snakes behind him, all marching in rigid lock-step

>a bear

>a skunk

>a hobo asking you for money

>a snake, it might be poisonous, better not touch it bro

>>the halfling mafia taking out human mafia men execution style with crossbows who are NOT happy you saw any of this in the middle of the forest
>>they have to stand on each others shoulders for proper height and angle
I would play this game.

I would to if the shemale elves weren't in the exact same forest.

Oh... Well. Yeah.

That changes things.

>Forest
A crazed druid trying to defend a small glade.
>Everything is poisoned!
>Especially the foliage
>That includes the foliage that tries to murder you
>Snakes fall from the trees
>Foxes biting your ankles
>Stags tackle you as you shake off the foxes
>Suits of armor overgrown with vines stand up and are controlled by the druid
>Said armor also contains wasps
>Like, a lot of wasps
>Panthers pounce on you after you manage to shake off the snakes
>Rabbits slam into your heels to trip you
>You finally make it to the glade, and the druid congratulates you, and offers you some fresh wine.
>Drink and and you black out, waking up in a beautiful meadow of lavender.
>Decline it, and he kicks you in the shin, disappears, and is never seen again.

See if they were just acrobat elves I'd be turned on as all hell. I may not still join in because fuck that sort of shit in RPGs, but at least the GM wouldn't be forcing something I didn't like.

I don't know if you were looking for combat encounters or random interesting things, but there is enough of the latter here so far so.

One level 3 game we had was interrupted by a dire weasel on the road, who promptly tackled our wizard and began sucking his blood.

Once when we were camping in a jungle a vine from the the wooded area snaked out and began trying to strangle people, it was an assassin vine I believe.

Phase spiders are fun to fight

Manticores and Chimeras can work as replacements for griffins/dragons and can be used at lower levels. Can make for a good big monster encounter. They are also the kind of thing that really could just attack you on the road randomly.

One game I was in we came across some kind of sound-wyvern chewing on a stag after a stampede. I don't remember what it was but it was an actual dnd monster and not like ripped from monster hunter or something. We decided to throw spears at it at level 4 and immediately regretted it.

Same game had an example more like the rest of this thread, where a chest on legs ran past us so we entangled it and began beating it to death. It zapped some people pretty bad when hit but with enough determination we cracked it open and found a bottle of wine and a sandwich, with a note addressed to a local mage. We drank the wine, took a bite out of the sandwich, and wrote SORRY on the note.

In one of my level 1 games I had a guy infected with rabies enter a tavern zombie-like and start fighting people.

>random interesting things

OP here. This.

>An alchemist has set up a stand in the middle of the market, selling bottles of "special brew" for cheap. He refuses to explain what's in the brew

>As the party walks down a quiet side-street, a naked man steps out of a solid brick wall right in front of them. He dusts himself off, gives the party a friendly wave, then turns into a horse and gallops away

>There is a great clamour in the middle of the market. A horse has just spooked, and kicked a hapless child in the head. The child isn't moving; their mother is cradling their limp body, distraught

>A blind man wearing chainmail walks up to the party in the street, and offers to sell some "special" gear if they'll just follow him. The man moves with suprising sureness for one who is blind

>The party sees a lot of wanted posters around. The faces on the posters are not theirs, but look spookily similar at a glance

>A man bumps one of the party-members in the middle of a crowded market. The man apologises curtly, and walks off. The bumped player later finds a token bearing a strange sigil in their pocket, that they don't recall picking up

>As the party are passing, they witness a group of town guards form up outside a house, before busting the front door down with truncheons drawn, and arresting everyone inside

>A Kobold princess was kidnapped to be the Royal Pet of the human princess.

Cornfapper

potheads

>A press gang arrives to take some unwitting people as crew. You are among the crowd and surrounded by several heavily armed men who restrains you