So Veeky Forums, how do we make this into a setting for tabletop?

So Veeky Forums, how do we make this into a setting for tabletop?

What kind of Darwinist/Clanker technologies could be possible in the future, based on their current tech?

PS; Clankers>Darwinist

Other urls found in this thread:

leviathanscottwesterfeld.wikia.com/wiki/Leviathan_Wiki
youtube.com/watch?v=GHs2coAzLJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=bNnDBAdF2sI
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've always wanted a sequel to the series set in WWII

Whatever, you Monkey Luddite

>Darwinist
Orc Stain minus Orcs?

Probably a mix of both Darwinist and Clanker tech, like in the U.S. and Istanbul

I'd like to see more advanced versions of the manta ray fighter planes, if the setting was in WW2

how about a tunnel connecting the large island to the mainland

Every time I see this image I want to muddle lines a bit. Make it not a pure clanker-darwinist standoff but two alliances of conveniece fighting a war no one really wants based on Realpolitik, even transcending the C-D standoff.

For example, how the hell Britain, the birthplace of the industrial revolution is not a clanker?

I'd also like to add a lot of extra flavor headcanon things.
Ottomans going full muslim wizards and summoning genies and monsters from arabian nights. Hungarians despising the clanker austrians and having their own flavor or herdsman darwinism which involves capturing and taming enemy war beasts instead. Serbians are so desperate about the constant balkans infighting they turn to necromancy to bolster their ranks. Romanians delve deep into vampire lore and try to artifcially create a "next Vlad" Finns having a civil war between neo-shamanists who practice creepy, ancient rites, eternal winter, dance of the aurora, bear monsters, pagan gods etc. and clankers while belonging to the decaying darwinist empire of russia.

And switzerland is sitting on the sidelines, tinkering with quantum science. Time travel, probabilty manipulation, alternate timeline exploration, designing a terrible device capable of shaping entire worldlines into utterly impossible outcomes. Later the germans manage to get hold of such a device and ship it off Russia in a sealed railway car.

But where would America fall? And Asia?

Clanker Union, Darwinist Confederacy.

the explanation of Britain becoming Darwinist is based on an environmental decision. The large amount of pollution in the British isles causes people to look for a way to reduce emissions. So, with the help of Charles Darwin(who did a huge amount of scientific advancement we're still working on today), they replaced most coal using factories and replaced them with biological replacements

Compare that to the Clankers, which make cool af mechs

What is this beautiful bastard?

Leviathan by Scott Westerfield

leviathanscottwesterfeld.wikia.com/wiki/Leviathan_Wiki

see

>We currently have 1 active users who have uploaded 237 files and made 6,063 edits on 135 pages.

That just made me sad.

the series is over now, its not unreasonable that there is little activity on the wiki

It's probably Westerfeld.
I hope.

>A-H is a collapsing, destitute empire and a german satellite state

When this stupid meme will die?

it was on the brink of a civil war...

It wasnt. More like every SINGLE one of its neighbors had designs on its territory.

Clankers a best

Kieth Thompson, along with Morii Kaoru, will always be one of my most favorite artists. He even adds fancy lore blurbs to his art.

APOLLONIAN WIGHT

When experiments testing the viability of tapping into the quantum vacuum for energy were performed on the Apollo 21 Lab Station, reports devolved into strange ramblings about how their conclusions were inconceivable to human minds. Before all communication ceased, garbled messages were sent to earth from the astronauts about their experiments revealing to them the "howling face of the sun." A rescue crew was violently repulsed from the station by corpses in the astronaut's space suits. Footage of the incident show ghostly images of tormented figures hanging just behind these corpses, struggling, but seemingly unable to pull themselves apart from their decaying bodies.

APOLLONIAN DROP FRAME

The accident on the Apollo 21 Lab Station couldn't be contained. Rescue missions sent to the station disaster hurriedly collected the lab's most recent studies of the sun's relations to a quantum vacuum. Unexpectedly the teams broke all protocol and transmitted this data openly and unencrypted. The data was a garbled mess of obscure information and bizarrely outdated language. What could be gleaned from it though were very clear specifications for angles and spectral configurations for viewing specific parts of the sun. Attempts of following these directions using remote viewing from earth through space telescopes ruined the orbital equipment. All other manned orbital stations that attempted it immediately cut off their contact with the earth.

After a prolonged silence the medley of military presences in orbit unleashed themselves unilaterally unto the earth. Orbital kinetic bombardment weapons carved strange symbols across the earth's surface. The attacks on heavily populated areas however were primarily carried out by manned reentry drop-frames: armed suits intended for quick reaction force insertion. Millions of these orbital drop frames blazed through the atmosphere, unfurling into their squat insectoid shapes upon landing. The were covered in hastily painted glyphs. Downed drop frames always proved to have dead pilots hanging limply within.

Their only communications were being piped back and forth between the millions of drop frames: an endless loop of a synthesized voice saying

"Burn a path to earth. Prepare them for the Sun's arrival."

This would make an interesting campaign hook, to say the least

NECROMANCER

Madame Theodosia hearkens from the Aeolian islands and is part of a long lineage of necromancers. Growing up in a family with a long tradition of raising the dead, she was uncharacteristically shaken to learn of her barrenness, and in a rather emotional state vowed to give birth, if not to a new life, then to an already passed life. For this purpose she had found assistance in fashioning a steel, pressurised womb in which the souls of the freshly dead were to be trapped and condensed. This gestating entity came to be referred to in hushed tones as The Collect. The expectant mother now unnerves her followers with a detached resignation towards her eventual agonizing death; a necessity to feed her newborn babe in a self-sacrificial fashion akin to a mother spider.

THE COLLECT

Formed in a steel womb fitted to a female necromancer, the Collect is composed of souls captured at death and contained under high pressure with liquid aglaophotis. These souls were condensed into each other until enough life force was coalesced for the birth of a unified entity. The Collect now hangs in the upper stratosphere, a collection of uncountable eyes overseeing the earth and influencing world events. As humanity is led towards war and strife, the souls of the dead rise in large clouds which the Collect drifts through, absorbing more and more souls into its fold and growing ever stronger for it.

>Italy is snakes with a pistol and boots

Wh-what?

Italy a treacherous motherfucker.

is this book actually any good? I've almost bought it a few times but i've always put it down.

It's all good until you hit the obligatory young adult romance and the slightly less obligatory young adult lesbian. If you are willing to skip/muddle through that it's fucking fun as hell.

Also, you have to take a side.

I'd recommend it. Granted, it's been a few years since I read it, but still.
This user is true, but I thought the young adult romance stuff was handled well - thought that's just me.

I forgot to mention that, at the very least, she's a terrorist action lesbian who isn't too preachy.

>have decent setting
>ruin it with shitty forced romance

Every single fucking book and movie. I literally dont fucking understand why.

Oh, it's not forced. The author integrates it very well and keeps it from getting tiresome. I just don't like romance in my fucking WW! fiction.

US and Japan both use a mix of Clanker and Darwinist because they are not factionalized like Europeans. Mexico takes weapons and shit from whatever country will sell it to them.

How does the book keep tension when we know the triple entente wins WW1? So I'd assume the Darwinist win

It's more like the main character causes Germany to lose, because Turkey and Austria dindu nuffin. The epilogue says that the war ends in like 1915.

>No ww2 version of this setting ever.

Fuck you.

What would you want to happen in it?

More cool monsters, mechs,and more hijinks.

That's what.

To answer the OP's question, you would have to start by fleshing out each nations history and theme a little. Germany and the clanker states get some cool stuff, but the darwinists tend to be a little one note. Russia in particulart doesn't get more than BEARS.

I would have made it a TWEEST and have the Axis win, á la Kaiserreich.

To answer the OP's question, you would have to start by fleshing out each nations history and theme a little. Germany and the clanker states get some cool stuff, but the darwinists tend to be a little one note. Russia in particular doesn't get more than BEARS.

>The Central Powers make use of human ingenuity and industry to master their environments and fashion tools and weapons of war fit to reshape the earth

>The Entente use horrifying abominations against nature, twisting their very humanity away with their feckless and arrogant experiments

GEE I WONDER WHO I WANT TO JOIN.

America who uses both?

The narrative is good,the setting's cool and the writing overall good,with better and slightly worse parts here and there. But as pointed, expect young adult romance (It rustled my jimmies at first,until I started finding it relatively cute).

Also Darwinism every fucking time, you filthy Clankers!

Consider that the biggest Clanker ship will still get fucked in a sufficiently large storm, and the biggest Clanker warmachine will still need a home base to return to. Composite beasts do not have this problem, and furthermore do not expel palls of black smoke and cubic tons of black sludge. What you call mastering the environment also ends up destroying the environment, which is idiocy in the extreme.

Which kind of leads me to the problem I have with the Darwinists...

WHAT DO THE BEASTIES EAT? AND WHERE DO THEY POOP?

Did you not read the books? Big shit like Levi itself neither eats nor shits because of the bacteria that works as its digestive system, whereas the smaller animals onboard all eat food grown within the beast or taken along from port, and their shit goes towards fueling the bacteria.

... Fuck. Forgot about that. Sorry, been a few years since I read the books.

>mfw arrogant Godless British zoophiles be tripping

Isn't Darwinism going to lag behind in terms of military technology? I can't see bio-engineered creatures outperforming modern military technology.

Maybe they could win by zerg rushing.

The romance was actually well done, and it doesn't even start until the about the middle of the second book. Overall, I'd say that it added to the story, even if the story would've been perfectly alright without it.

DARWIN YOU FUCKING SHIT. I THOUGHT WE SAID NO ABOMINATIONS AGAINST NATURE. JESUS FUCK YOU SICK CUNT.

The Darwinists use modern guns, cables and artillery, it's just their big "vehicles" are living organisms.

>WW2
WWII will be even worse than in reality. Hitler will not just use both sides' technology, but also the most forbidden of all the sciences: manipulating Human DNA to create the Übermensch.

Considering the Nazi obsession with Transhumanism, if they would ever apear in the timeline, they would abuse Darwinism for all its' worth. Millions more there will be killed there than they were in our world. The Nazis will probably turn to Darwinist tech to try to create Übermensch and will have no qualms about creating Eldritch Abominations made from Holocaust victims.

And the Pacific theatre may turn into a much longer conflict than in the real world, and a lotmore devastatingly horrific. In OTL, Imperial Japan funded a massive Darwinist program for biological weapons experimentation,: Unit 731, and even in our timeline, human dissections notwithstanding, it has already produced freakish biological super-plagues that when unleashed onto the mainland would have done a catastrophe on the American economy. Now picture a 731 armed with near-magical genetic engineering, resulting in nation-destroying super-Ebolas and a LOT of tentacle jokes.

Nah, I'd add a tweest where the nazis are neither. They are fanatical purists refusing both the excesses of darwinists and clankers, offering a Third Way based on brotherhood and martial pride of a pure race. All the successes they'd achieve is because of their superior general staff.

I'd make a nice contrast to the usual Woflenstein take on nazi superscience in a world where everyone is doing that already.

Or if you really want them to give something special, radical spiritualism in the vein of the Thule Society and magic

Quite the opposite, actually. The Darwinists have massive advantages in the case of a long war, because they don't need coal or petroleum products for their war beasts. They only need food, which they produce in large supply. This means they could easily field twice the armor the Clankers could.

Even if the Clankers have superior firepower on their mechs, mechs break down (often, as we see in the book), plus the aforementioned outnumbering in armor units.

>Or if you really want them to give something special, radical spiritualism in the vein of the Thule Society and magic
If we're trying to be interesting and different, Nazi occultism is the wrong way to go, IMO. Maybe make it part of the official ideology (the faction could even be called "Thulist" is or something along those lines), but not give obvious mechanical advantages. Leave it ambiguous whether they work or not since that's more fun than it all being bullshit. Make their shtick be fantaticism and discipline. Thulist rituals are basically brainwashing (drug induced trances, etc.). The soldiers train for nearly every waking moment, and what little off time they have is spent consuming Thule-approved media to strengthen their resolve. The whole thing would be sort of a cross between SoB, Caesar's Legion, and SMBE's Purity affinity

That poor Serbia

Of course.

youtube.com/watch?v=GHs2coAzLJ8

Beyond Earths Purity would go extremely well with this.

>Lets show those degenerate darwinists and clankers what pure Men are capable of!

Also, Olympia.

youtube.com/watch?v=bNnDBAdF2sI

A more rousing movie exalting the human form and spirit has never been made.

>live in Germany
>this video is not available in your country

wew lad