What's your opinion on nonhumans falling to chaos, Veeky Forums?

What's your opinion on nonhumans falling to chaos, Veeky Forums?

Could, in your opinion, an Eldar pledge themselves to one of the three older gods in order to save their soul from Slaanesh?

Would an Ork devote himself to Khorne if he saw a greater potential for bloodshed under the god of skulls?

Could a sentient Tyranid (so a tyrant or warrior or somesuch) be turned to chaos by its own choosing?

Could a nonsentient tyranid be fooled by a powerful demon masquerading as the hive mind?

Could a Kroot shaper lead his people in worship to a god until they were entirely corrupted?

I don't see many of the playable xenos turning to chaos often enough to warrent really talking about, but chaos orks would be the shit, all 4 gods but khorne in particular

> Eldar
Unlikely. All Eldar souls belong to Slaanesh,but maybe they could strike a deal with a daemon in exchange for something else apart of their own soul.

> Ork
I don't know; I think orks are too self-centered to ackmowledge the power of Khorne over their own orkish gods beyond recognizing his minions as worthy enemies to brawl and fight with.

>Tyranid (sentient or not)
Impossible. Tyranids simply lack emotions,which are the main support for Chaos in the material plane. An intelligent Tyranid organism (such as a Norn Queen or a Hive Tyrant) are just incapable of "feeling" things like faith,belief or fear of death, which in the races of the Milky Way Galaxy function as the most powerful reasons mortals worship the Chaos Gods. A lesser Tyranid is directly unexistent to that purpose,since they don't even have minds of their own and act on instinct or under control of the Hive Mind; they are either animal-like or like cells in a bigger entity.

>Kroot
...maybe. I don't see no reason for them not to turn into Chaos worship,except of there are Tau around to control them.

I wouldn't want to see new chaosx[insert xeno race] factions to give chaos even more spotlight.

There used to be Khorne Orks and Chaos-aligned Genestealer cultists as well as Tyranids, not to mention Chaos androids and robots.

No idea about now, since I dropped 40k when 3e came out.

Do Scavvies from Ncromunda count?

I think chaos orks should be a important thing.

>All Eldar souls belong to Slaanesh
I could see some Eldar (from prefall, or a dark eldar that can't keep up in the DE society) turning to another god precisely for that reason. "Save me from Slannesh and I'm yours" type of deal, for the sole sake of avoiding their fate.
Could make for a cool character, or maybe even a crone world.

Eldar already worship the chaos gods, op. Just look at that helm.

Stormboyz are often linked with Khorne worship, or maybe an Orkish manifestation of Khorne - though they are normally compared to teenagers rebelling against their parents by following a non-Ork God.

Kroot *can* become corrupted by consuming the flesh of Chaos, but they mostly just descend into barbarism rather than worship.

I remember something about Croneworld Eldar who worship Chaos, but I don't think that's proper canon.

Nids practically have their own Chaos God in the Hivemind, but I dont think they would fall.

Plague Orks are badass as fuck and I want more canon art of them.

>Stormboyz are often linked with Khorne worship
Maybe in 2nd Ed. And only fringe groups. Clearly not "oftent"

I've always somewhat liked the idea of Chaos Eldar who worship Slanny, and will become food for 'em when they die but until then go off to do the most depraved shit they can before merging with what they see as their perfect god. Maybe Slan even revives them to do more shit for their amusement if they prove to be useful to advancing their cause, since Slaneesh is still the weakest of the gods it seems like the part of it that's somewhat clever and not busy masturbating with broken glass would want to further increase it's reach.

I'll call them DARKER Eldar.

Were Scavvies meant to have anything to do with Chaos? Last I saw they were just mutated, inbred humans.

They can control plague zombies

I'm fuzzy on the lore at this point, but I think that Eldar souls belonging to Slaanesh is some cosmic-force type deal, outside the manipulation of the chaos gods.

Chaos eldar were mentioned some two decades ago in the old RT stuff, as the last living entities on the Crone worlds. That lore has not been reprinted since, and is likely no longer canon.

pic related, a daemon world guardian, is the closest I'm aware of in current lore. The book it's from was published in 2011, although I'm fairly sure the pictured eldar is simply a corpse being puppeted by a daemon, as opposed to an actual living eldar fallen to chaos.

No joke, if I remember right in the old Liber Chaotica Khorne they mention how Khaine is basically just a bloodthirster and only survived Slaanesh's birth because Khorne stepped in right before she completely destroyed him as Khaine was a part of Khorne.

probably retconed by now but still.

Genestealer cult starts worshipping chaos over the 4 armed or whatever god?

On a side, a genestealer cult turning to worshipping the emperor would be interesting.

Stormboyz used to be linked with Khorne but now they're just strangely organized orks who are generally going through a phase. That's not to say that you still can't have Chaos Orks, but I imagine it would require the orks to be in constant contact with Chaos forces for an extended period and even then they'd probably just worship the Chaos god alongside Gork and Mork.

I know there's that one story about the Tau fighting a Slaaneshi Kroot group and I don't see any reason why another group of Kroot that isn't under constant Tau supervision couldn't end up worshiping a Chaos god.

Nurgle I can get, but how does Tzeentch and Slaneesh work with the orks?

Also I feel like Gork and Mork are fighty enough for the orks so conversion to Khorne would just be weird. Then again morale-less orks with demon claws would be exceptionally badass

For Slaanesh, it's the concept of MORE. Not just more Dallas, but more everything. More gubbins, more gretchin, more squigs, more horsepower! But all for nothing. It's complete muckin' about. The gubbins are too heavy to even walk, the gretchin have been sewn together and can barely hold a shoota, the squigs are a blob of flesh that need to be rolled to get anywhere, and the biggest engine just makes a lot of noise and heat but doesn't get you anywhere.

Dakka*

>how does Tzeentch and Slaneesh work with the orks?
I dunno about Tzeentch, but "NEVER ENOUGH DAKKA" is an inroad for Slaneesh I guess.

Can a C'tan shard fall to Chaos?

Khorne Orks have existed, but I can't remember any specific stories. There was also another story of an Ork warband finding an altar to Nurgle and thinking a picture of it was Gork/Mork (Big'n'green). They left their best loot there as offerings and came back every once in a while to pay their respects, so Nurgle eventually noticed and gave them gifts of Chaos. The reason why Chaos Orks aren't really a thing is because Ork warp presence is cumulative, and thus the gods don't really care about their individually puny souls, and also because Orks regularly lynch any of their kin they think are "Un-Orky".

As people have said above, Chaos Eldar have existed on Crone Worlds, but those are old stories.

Tau have horribly insignificant souls, and thus the Ruinous Powers largely ignore them.

Kroot can fall to Chaos worship same as anyone else and eating Chaos-mutated flesh does funky stuff to them, so they mostly avoid it.

Necrons, unlike normal machines which have no souls, are like blanks in that they have a void where their soul should be, and thus are anathema to the gods.

The Tyranids have one, massive oversoul in the Hive Mind, which acts as a foil to all beings of the Warp. It is too large and too powerful for the gods to gain any purchase in it.

I don't know enough about the Rak'gol to comment on them.

Tzeentch I imagine would attract orks because of all the color hellfire his daemons are wont to shoot all over the place. Or maybe a Bloodaxe Warboss who is looking to become even more kunnin might turn to Tzeentch.

Slaanesh would probably attract adrenaline junkies. So orks who just wanna go fasta, even fasta then you go when painted red. Also orks who are so obsessed with loud guns that they don't even care if the gun is particularly effective so long as it's deafening.

I have a Tau army that's fluffed as cult of Tzeentch, so I guess that shows my opinion well enough.

AFAIK, only in that Chaos could destroy it and it would fall like a castle that was leveled instead of taken over would fall.

no. the warp is anethema to C'tan

I thought it was because khorne respected khaine's strength, or he thought khaine's slaughter would make him (khorne) stronger?

Oh, yeah, forgot to talk about C'tan.
C'tan are beings of unimaginable power and are purely of the Materium; think of them more like sapient natural phenomena given bodies than creatures. The Warp is as anathema to them as they are to it.

He mistaking the Liver Chaotica for the Eldar second edition lore and distorting it.

Slaanesh defeated Khaine and was gong to consume him. Khorne can to take khaine from Slaanesh because Khaine was a part of him.

Some Eldar have been known to fall to Chaos, but I'm unsure of any of the other species.

Where does the C'Tan powers come from? They look psychic to me.

Hardly, since human chaos followers outnumber the aliens and have not lost their hate for them in the least.

Tell me about your fluff user, I have wated so long for this.

Show me who you are!

>Eldar
There are rare cases of eldar falling to chaos to avoid slaanesh, like pledging to khorne

>Orks
Orks sometimes go Khorne but its considered a "phase" and a bit "unorky" some fell to nurgle once too accidentally by worshipping him cause hes big and green

>Tyranids
All tyranids have the same mind? They aren't individual in that sense, they don't have desires or bloodlust like mortals, they are the hivemind and they cant fall to chaos

>Kroot
I don't see why not? But haven't heard any fluff on it

Its debatable, Did khorne step in cause he respected the god of war? Did he step in cause HE wanted to kill the eldar war god? Either way khorne thought slaanesh was disgusting

Stupidly old, stupidly intelligent beings encased in bodies of the most advanced Necron technologies ever known.

It's science taken so far it's become magic to us, like pretty much everything else the Necrons pull out of their doomsday-weapon vaults.

All Eldar except non-solitaire harlequins will go to Slaanesh unless they can be put in a spirit stone.

In the Iron Warriors Omnibus there was a race of mercenary xenos called loxatl that worshiped khorne and communicated through color.

>Unlikely.

There are canon examples of Chaos Eldar, though. They're super-rare, and hunted ruthlessly by regular Eldar, but they DO exist.

>But haven't heard any fluff on it

There was a case where many Kroot ate the flesh of Chaos soldiers, and then turned to fight alongside Chaos during the next Chaos attack.

so they certainly can become corrupt, if only indirectly.

in the chaos daemons codex khorne does actual have his own ork cadre, sort of. they were lead by an ork called daemonkilla and sailed directly into his realm somehow, whereupon they slaughtered as many daemons as they could before they all died, khorne was so happy at their mindless bloodlust and disregard for their own lives solely in order to kill things that he raised them from the dead, and now they fight for him every day, throughout the day, before dying at dusk and being raised again in the morning, forever. i'm not sure they worship khorne though, they just do what orks do.

Cosmic entities that ate suns for nourishment, given bodies by the necron'tyr with the best tech they had.

This is Lovecraft-type power, where beings exist in the parallel ultraviolet dimension, or where you can have beings composed of the impossible colors. It's power that the writers ignored science to make possible.

Source. The examples of Chaos Eldar I'm aware of from the RT days have not been mentioned since 3e at most.

But how do they manifest their power? We know psyckers use the warp to alter reality. The C'tan powers seem to come from nothing.

>The C'tan powers seem to come from nothing.
Because the power source is beyond our understanding. That's just how 40k lore works. Things are written without explanation, because the game takes place after the Dark Age of Technology, and the greatest relics just work and no one knows how. Look at the Golden Throne.

The same way batteries seem like magic to third worlders.

>Dark Eldar are going in to more depraved shit then ever and start worshipping Slannesh
>they are doing even MORE depraved shit and even this becomes boring to them
>when they finally die, them being eaten by Slannesh and literally tortured till the end of the world is the best thing they ever felt

I can see this working

According to FFG Rogue Trader, the Tau gain Chaos corruption points when they are exposed to Chaos however the corruption does not drive them mad or cause them to develop mutations like in humans. The Tau character acts like normal like nothing happened.

I guess this means that Tau are immune to Chaos?

Their souls are such weak shit that they may as well be rocks in the mind of the warp.

They're not blanks, but they don't have a significant warp presence. It's why they don't have any way to interact with the warp, be it psykers or traveling through it.

It's a pity that Tau haven't encountered daemons much in the lore. I wonder if the eye-bending and impossible runes cultists leave around would bother them the same way they bother humans.

Did not the protagonist of Fire Warrior went nuts at the end for seeing too much Chaos stuff in a single day?

Yes, because witnessing warping reality and evil magic is enough to do that to a person. No daemon possession needed.

That was more advanced PTSD than whispers-in-his-mind.

You're not talking about the game are you? I'm pretty sure that thing is entirely non-canon now.

THE EMPYREAN AND PRIMORDIAL TRUTH IS THE REALM OF HUMANITY, XENOS FILTH

>Friend and I are at local gaming establishment
>She and I start brainstorming on ways to get a tau army to serve chaos
>Several ideas ranging from "retarded" to "might work" are formed
>Resident That Guy comes over and lectures us on why our idea is impossible, his Mt Dew scented breath wafting, Cheeto dust covert hands gesturing wildly, and his double chinned neck beard flapping around like an enraged jabberwocky

Go I wish I could link this thread to him. That would be good times.

>ethereal gets replaced by the changeling
>he subtly and slowly leads his planet down a path of chaos worship, introducing small elements every day so nobody notices
>in ten years the fire caste are painting the symbol of khorne on the arms of their battlesuits as they charge in with duel-wielded onagers and the water caste are gobbing each other off praising slaanesh

done

Yeah, we thought about going the animal farm route

The only Eldar who have evaded Slaanesh should probably be Eldar who were pledged to one of the other gods from before the Fall. And given the time passed most of them are probably dead or daemon princes by now.

Back in the past, there were Chaos Eldar in fluff. And they were the definition of broken in terms of psychic powers. Luckily they were extremely rare.

Now the closest thing there are to Chaos Eldar are Crone Worlders. Pathetic, miserable and tormented shadows of their former selves. Survived The Fall of The Eldar Empire AND the birth of Slaanesh, but it left them insane and mutated. Now they only look for a way to escape their tortured existence via dying and have the hermaphroditic freak claim their souls.

When it comes to Orkz, there were situations in very old fluff that an Ork could willingly worship Chaos, but that was as extremely rare as aforementioned Chaos Eldar. But that's very old fluff.

When it comes to Nids...impossible. They instinctively find out what is theirs and what is not. Not to mention the lack of emotions or a soul in the traditional sense.

Kroot could be corrupted by Chaos due to their genetic material assimilation abilities.

>Eat Psyker
>Get Kroot Psykers via eating psykers and constant procreation to make sure the psyker capabilities will be very visible
>Chaos whispers into Kroot Psyker because he doesn't have any training or experience (not to mention anyone who could aid them via training or experience)

The rest is left to your imagination on how it ends.

>Be Eldar
>Concerned that your soul will inevitably fall into Slaanesh's hands
>"I know! I'll sell my soul to another god! That'll be better."

You're better off throwing your lot in with Cegorach.

You and "her" sound like fags if you managed to get so offended by what someone said in a store that you had to go online and blog about it to strangers with no relation to what happened to you today.

>Tau
>Serving Chaos

For what purpose?

Found that guy

The fucking clown doesn't accept you on the spot lad.

First you must find a troupe. Then you need to be illuminated (aka: be possessed by a KEEPER OF SECRETS and then exorcise yourself via sheer willpower).

If you pass, then Slaanesh has no rights to your soul since after death you become one with Cegorach.

If not, then you become a Solitaire, nobody talks to you due to being a loner and literally soulless, and you need to pray to Cegorach to have him get your soul. But hey, you at least become the most murderous guy in the troupe.

>For what purpose?
For the glory of chaos. What else?

Sorry to disappoint you. I don't drink PepsiCo. products.

>Almost no warp presence
>Advanced technology
>Can be used as shock troops to circumvent alerting every psyker in the system

Still sounds better than following another Chaos god just to get away from Slaanesh.

Except chaos doesn't care about winning otherwise their codex would be good :^)
Jokes aside, the only thing Chaos really cares about is a) spilling blood b) spreading diseases c) plotting or d) excess
None of those matter if the being doing these actions is not capable of either enjoying or despising the act, or having some internal conflict or struggle that causes the rise and fall of myriad emotions. Because of the tiny warp presence of Tau, whatever enjoyment or suffering that comes from them is equally small. Chaos doesn't care about them, because they get nothing from them.

Sure, a group of Tau could set up some 41st millennium cargo cult to the dark gods, but they're not going to get anything from it except the ire of the Ethereals.

Yep. Though Eldar Gods do are warp entities. Though luckily not in the same way as the four douches we love/hate.

If khorne makes you a prince then slaanesh can't eat you.

>implying Tzeentch won't muck that plan up so Slaanesh can eat you, just because.

This is what starts happening when you try counting on the favor from one of the gods

There were undoubtedly tons of Chaos worshipping xenos during the Great Crusade. The Laer were specifically Slaaneshi, and that's how Fulgrim got swindled. Most of them have undoubtedly been exterminated.

>live your entire life in Best Korea, except it's a little bit cleaner
>suddenly discover individuality and emotions and freedum

It's weird there's no renegade Tau factions. Even Farsight is just a divergent sept more than anything else. Would think some merchant fleet or a deep space exploration party would break down sooner or later and go rogue without Ethereals to guide them. But I guess on top of everything else, Tau have to have a working dystopian regime.

I do wonder what would've happened if a colony ship got lost in transition and the Ethereals died in the process.

Would the Tau try to maintain a system similar to what they have at home and still maintain the castes, or would they over time simply stop giving a damn and simply downright mate with other castes?

The problem with renegade Tau is that there's no good answer to the question of "what do they do with their new-found freedom?"

Do they fracture entirely and give up on gunlines, marker-lights, and other things that require discipline? Or do they maintain that, while showing their individuality in other ways, such as say, a knock-off boons table because of honoribru samurai duels?

Then again, the logical progression for Tau is that, as the only race present that hasn't had a great fall like the Eldar and Humanity, they're going to get a fall at some point, maybe, if AoS is selling well. I don't put much stock in this, but then again, we got new lore with the Mechanicus needing DEldar pacts to keep the Golden Throne working, and the throne falling apart hadn't been touched since the 5th ed core book.

Food for thought. I don't play the game anymore, and the lore has been fucked since BL did their HH series and the Illuminati.

>what do they do with their new-found freedom?

Same as every other group that gets liberated from an oppressive regime. Become an oppressive regime.

>as the only race present that hasn't had a great fall like the Eldar and Humanity

Except, you know, the time before the Ethereals when they almost killed themselves out and the memory of which haunts them still?

Fall implies they already reached a great height. It's been a while since I read my Tau lore, but I'm pretty sure Tau society before the Ethereals wasn't much past medieval levels. I remember for certain that they only started their rapid technological advancement after the Ethereals arrived.

If you want a real rough comparison, declaring the pre-Ethereal Tau their fall is like declaring the fall of Troy to be equal to the fall of the Roman Empire. The fall of the Tau has not come yet, where the fall of the eldar has, and humanity's fall after the DAoT or a future where the Emperor dies would be.

I'm almost 100% sure that Orks can't fall to Khorne simply because they would fit Khorne too well.
Ergo the simple fact we haven't seen them means they can't exist, because Khorne has definitely tried.

On Daemonids apperantly some poor guardsmen can clue you in on that.

You are insane at this point you Chaos dolt. Everything you say is stupid, insane, stupidly insane and insanely stupid.

Tell it to the people of Troy they losing everything is nothing. A small fall for a small nation can be a major change.

The Tau had gone from cavemen to firearms, then to near extinction. And it's still an event that haunts the Tau. Just like the Fall and HH haunt the Eldar and Imperium. The fluff just doesn't put much emphasis on it, because why be a downer when big huge rowbutts.

Gork and Mork are just manifestations of Khorne and Tzeentch. Brutal yet Kunning and Kunning yet Brutal.

Speed Kultz already serve Slaanesh.

There's a difference between "things are bad but we recovered" and "things are bad and we did not/cannot recover." The latter is what I consider a fall, while the former is more of a slump. The Eldar are the only ones who have experience a fall in the relevant lore. There is no recovering from losing the heart of their empire in the Eye of Terror. Had the Emperor not arrived to pick humanity up after the DAoT, I would also consider that to have been humanity's fall, but they recovered and it was more of a slump. Just as post-HH Imperium is also in a slump.
Excuse me if this contradicts earlier statements. This is the stance I intended to take, and will now defend.

About Troy: I was thinking more along the lines that the Romans were supposedly the survivors of Troy who went on to found an even greater nation. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
To the Romans, the fall of Troy was a set-back if the legend was true, and irrelevant if not. It was a slump, but not a fall, as I have defined them.

Did the Orks have a great fall?
I mean I guess the crons did hence why they're all napping

>There is no recovering from losing the heart of their empire in the Eye of Terror

Yet they have plans on rebuilding, fighting off Slaanesh, etc. Guess they don't know when to give up.

Eldar souls are destined to be captured by Slaanesh because Slaanesh was created as the dark reflection of their own nature - Slaanesh is literally the warp-born version of themselves, racially speaking. They can't help but be claimed by Slaanesh because it would involve alienating themselves from their own nature*. They are already part of Slaanesh and they can't help it, no matter who they worship or follow. Modern Craftworld Eldar society represents social engineering that was attempted to try to temper their emotions and minimize their susceptibility to Slaanesh's notice, but while it's enough to stop daemons suddenly manifesting all over the place, it's not enough to stop souls being claimed by Slaanesh if they're exposed to the warp unprotected (dead or alive).

*Harlequins manage this, because their own god was only just distinct enough from the rest of their race, to be outside Slaanesh's "domain", if you like. Cogerach's nature is darkly ironic and fatalistic, which makes him (and those who's life is based on his nature) sufficiently un-Eldar-ish to lie beyond Slaanesh's automatic notice, Solitaires excepted.

If you imagine Khorne and Slaanesh not as exact opposites, but more like two circles in a Venn diagram with a slight crossover at the center, Khaine is in that center. Slaanesh is the result of a runaway unbalancing of the Eldar psyche towards excess. Normally, Khorne, Nurgle and even Tzeentch do not strongly correspond to the Eldar nature. Slaanesh tipped the scales so that Khaine effectively can't exist as an independent entity (he'd be either too Khorn-ish or too Slaanesh-i except for an incredibly small and temporary hairline division between the two natures); each "awakening" of the Avatar lasts a short time only before it collapses into Khorne or Slaanesh (or more usually, nothing). Dark Eldar can't even awaken an Avatar because their natures are too unbalanced to being with.

>have not been mentioned since 3e at most.
So?

What did they lose? I mean, their reasons for hiding was just that they were in such a disarray that they could have not taken on the Eldar. They didn't really lose anything, more like gained their independence from the C'tan. All they needed was time to get their shit in order.

As for orks, it all depends on how deeply you want to drink from the cup of market appeal and IP, since apparently Ork were a highly advanced race with diplomats and religion and they simply fell into disarray.

I guess so, to be honest I didn't really know the Cron fluff before the change and then the change just confused matters further, still seems like a fall to me at any rate

And that raises a good point about the lack of Ork fluff, like Jesus Christ it's ridiculous how little is known about them

Although I guess that's fitting of an unimportant race :'(

Those gods are dead, though. And were never as powerful as the Chaos Gods even at their peak.

Khaine is effectively dead, the tiniest remaining essence now splintered harder than an imprisoned C'tan. Asuryan, Isha, Kurnous, Vaul, Lileath, Gea, and Morai-Heg are all dead.

Only Cegorach survived, and he did so by not really being an Eldar god. Ynnead hasn't really been born/become undead yet.

>duel-wielded onagers

I.. what? How?

I swear there was a story of a hive fleet going into a warp rift and coming out all chaos-y. With the observing inquisitor warning "don't let tyranids enter the warp. EVER."

>still seems like a fall to me at any rate

They got all their tech, their tomb worlds, their rulers and system of government, etc. How is that a fall exactly? What did they lose? A few tomb worlds here and there? Out of several million. Some personnel?

Lore does not need to have a contradiction or other statement published to render it non-canon.

See: half-eldar space marines who were never mentioned again

Most Eldar Farseers consider Ynnead to be a dangerous fantasy at best. You can't blame them; we all know how the last time their race created a god turned out. And since a critical ingredient in birthing Ynnead is "all Eldar must die", you can easily see the reason for their lack of optimism.

The Iyanden codex specifically mentions that only Eldrad, Iyanna, and some of the lesser seers of Iyanden believe in Ynnead. Iyanna is considered quite unhinged outside of her political powerbase on Iyanden, while Eldrad is considered warp-tainted (like all Ulthwé Eldar) by many craftworlds.

However, because these proponents are the two most significant Seers in game and fluff terms, the lore is rather distorted towards their views. Nevertheless they are extremist radicals (if not damned lunatics) from most Eldar's points-of-view.

It's possible, but the whole Shadow of the Warp bit makes me doubt that Chaos would take kindly to their presence.

Storm of Iron has a corrupted hive ship. Daemon World has small tyranid creatures being used a beasts of labour in mines. I think it was one of the SW novels that had a hive ship infected by Nurgle's rot.

Metal.
Does that mean Chaos is the final hope for the galaxy's salvation against the nids?