Magic: The Gathering Modern General

Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Primers:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

>"Whatever happened to RG Titanshift? Has it been completely consumed by RG Breach or is now just not the right meta for it?

Building
Owling mine with Sphinx's tutelage

Playing
R/g land destruction without bloodmoon

No one asked or cares.

Yeah Breach seems the better deck at this point. Counter magic is so fucking weak at this point that people can just blindly ramp into a 5 mana spell to drop a 6 mana creature, and not get punished or caught out. Format is a fucking sham.

>shitty quality image
>no title

If m/tg/ had to pick one set that is no longer modern legal what would it be?

Hard mode: no Oath

On the flip side what set would you make modern legal (besides ABUR)?

non modern legal:
Shadowmoor and anything related
modern legal:
Legends

Are you blind or just stupid? The best decks with the most meta share for several of those periods were control or midrange decks. They just got fucked up at the last gp because several new aggro decks broke out that have a good matchup against the current interactive decks.

Bant eldrazi is already on the rise, some pros are playing Abzan because it has a good matchup against dredge and zooicide, Grixis delver is seeing more play because it turns out that getting a tempo advantage is pretty good in an aggro meta. If you open your eyes you can see that the meta is changing like it always has. Aggro is good in modern, get over it. Control is better than aggro in Legacy, where every deck is basically 48 cards after force, brainstorm, and ponder, but you don't see legacy players having an existential crisis.

meant for this poster

THREADLY
REMINDER
TO
GET
YOUR
THOPTER
SWORDS

But UW is for gaylords

Fuck off. It won't make a difference

>Not liking cum-cum up the bum-bum
You gay son?

Can you show me where bad elves touched you?

Right in the Kitchen Finks

How much would you pay for a slightly damaged hierarch promo foil? I'm friends with the seller for years and he's looking to get rid of his set of hierarch. Here's what they look like
Pic 1 of 2

Pic 2 of 2

75-85 each
foils get fucked up way to easy

I don't think that's an excuse, that shit looks awful

Are there any viable-enough artifact creature decks that ISN'T ravager affinity? I just want to play my scifi robots.

Wait for Kaladesh.

You can brew a tempered steel memedeck if you want, you lazy fagit.

Remove Darksteel

Add in either Mercadian Masques or Legends for Port or Karakas respectively.

i think the judge promo is around 100?
what about 50 then?
what does he want

you mean

8th edition: no contest

I'm the buyer not the one you quoted. He wants me to price it. I'll be playing it and it'll be double sleeved. He's played them on big legacy events and gp's and he's never been called out for them being lightly damaged. Tcg listing is at 135 usd nm by cfb. Don't know how fair that pricing is really.

This format is shit until Tron is kill and midrange decks not running Blood Moon can exist.

>Waahh I don't know how to use land destruction! Somebody stop that big bad tron player!

I'd add Ice Age for FoW, give blue a little love!

Midrange is what is killing modern.

Fuck off Maro

Hey faggot, I play fucking Naya Evolution and I literally evo out Magus of the Moon to fucking destroy 80% of match ups and I'll tell you what, it feels unfair.

>Waahh! Wizards help me! A deck is hurting my feelings! Plz Ban!

Also your deck is shit

Keep whining that the only decks worth playing all win before Tron can start playing. And that it's an awful unfair format that needs Counterspell, as if that would help at all.

>Blue isn't allowed a catch-all counterspell
>GB is allowed a near catch-all nonland permanent removal spell at instant speed that can't be countered

It also requires 2 colors

Bitch I play Naya burn. I don't care about Tron, but find it hilarious when people complain about it.

I'm trying to get a friend into magic and have bought the Elspeth Vs Kiora deck as a way to introduce him. I am fairly new to magic but have basic knowledge and mechanics down (have a mono red aggro burn and mono white knights) but I want to go into control-ish with adding to the Kiora deck. Any thoughts on what I could add into the Kiora deck outside of the duel match up?

Counterspell is UU, which is generally considered harder to hit than GB, especially in a 3 color deck.

I bet you're the kind of person that thought Siege Rhino had a restrictive mana cost.

Try another thread, this is a competitive modern thread. Youre kinda over your head here

Not an issue

>Owling mine with Sphinx's tutelage
I tried this once with Sage's Row Denizen and some bounce to proc it more via Sidisi's faithful sac'ing thopters. Worked okay.

Throwing jargon around like that only makes you sound like a try hard

Go away. What would you say? Those are the terms you'd use.

to me he sounds like someone who's annoying to talk to, not a try hard

(you)
Do you feel the need to specify that your red deck uses damage spells to beat down the opponent's life counter, instead of just calling it a burn deck?

>try hard
Please explain this to me. What is a try hard? Do you never try? Is winning bad? Fucking low test retard

this
only scrubs call anyone a "try hard"

That's the thing, all the other generals are specific... I'd rather get advice in the competitive modern general as i'll be playing modern

You technically aren't playing modern.
The Elspeth deck has mother of runes. Not legal

Not to be rude but we're here by because we want to talk about competitive modern, not build a kitchen table deck for you

Okay, lets minus that card from the deck. Either way i am looking to play the Kiora anyway, just looking for advice rather than trawling articles

A try hard is someone who makes it a show that they are one of the "elite". Like those kids in high school who acted like they were gangster.

I would have said nothing g because nothing you said adding d any value to the conversation and instead made you look like someone who wants to start a magic podcast because they are so pro

ok fuck the set ban question, its basically choosing one card you dont like
so how bout this

ban one card
unban one card

what is it?

>I'm play deck a
>oh hey user I tried something similar. It was this and it was okay.

That's helpful. Kys

To start off do some research into the modern meta game. Learn what the top decks are, like jund, tron, burn, infect,eldrazi, Coco decks. Pretty much anything you buy off the shelf will not be good in modern. And this thread is specific just like all the others. It is the Modern General. Remember just because a deck us modern legal does not mean it is a modern deck

Can I ban Sword of X and Y in general?

Ban, something in Jund, because it wont matter at all.

Unban, seething song, because i want to see storm be a real thing again.

Why didn't you say that instead off throwing around jargon? Plus telling someone that a similar deck that they played was mediocre without giving any advice is just masturbatory. No one cares you played a shitty deck

yea man

>Ufags on suicide watch

Eat dick

ban kitchen finx
unban treasure cruise

Ban ancient stirrings
Unban summer bloom

>Ancient stirrings

Seriously, how is this card still allowed but ponder isn't? I play tron and even I say that letting me dig 5 cards deep is fucking ridiculous. I have a playset of Nissa's Oath waiting in case AS vets banned, but it looks like I'll never need it

>ponder
what about preordain

Yeah this sounds cool. Bloom players will get to have fun again, but without the absurd consistency bloom offers. Thry'll just need another cantrip instead.

>Seriously, how is this card still allowed but ponder isn't?

Because racism, blue is an ally to black so it gets no good cantrips, green is an enemy of black so it can have them. /sarcasm

Bought chinamen Misty rainforest and Noble hierarchs
They look very good

(You)

unban preordain
ban golgari grave troll again just to piss off any one who bought into dredge

Unban Preordain
Ban Mox Opal. Seriously, this is the most broken card in affinity.

>Unban Mind Sculptor

He would be good of course but he wouldn't be oppressive. Most decks are too fast to care about a 4 drop walker and you have to invest heavily into blue (a not great color).

>Ban either Eldrazi temple because eldrazi are midrange maro creature cancer or Tron piece because fuck tron

Ban Ancient Stirrings and unban Dark Depths.

Problem solved. Now we get to play UB Thopter Depths like the good old days

Yes, now you must worry about a million tiny things AND one big thing that can come down on turn 2

Ban inkmoth nexus

Unban DTT

who the fuck cares

>Thopter Depths
how does that deck work?

The best thing we can possibly do to help modern is to slow down the format a little bit. True or False?

a deck that uses dark DEPTHS and sword THOPTER combos?

Dark depths, tomb of yawgmoth, vampire hexmage, thopter foundry, sword of the meek

False. I wouldn't mind an extra turn or two, but that is not the "best" way to help modern.

What would be the "best way" to help modern then?

less linear decks != slower, but yeah, that's probably a step in the right direction

Less linear aggro, better answers for midrange and control decks

The problem with modern isn't that it's too fast

The problem is that it's too uninteractive

The best regards at would be to give control some way to exist in the format, which would therefore give combo decks a chance to exist instead of being banned

Its literally just a deck with 2 combos in it. Plan A is to get Marit Lage online on turn 2. If it drags on you go for Thopter Sword instead, then get Marit Lage. Its a very potent and consistent combo deck back Extended

not slow it down, but give people a reason to go to late, as well, so it becomes an option

this

It's very pathetic that control has to lean on mana leak as it's catchall counterspell

here's the part where i shitpost the spellweaver helix wincon visualization again

>not playing the most badass victory in the game

what gives you your will to live, /modern/?
mine comes from flame jab worldfire.

Thoughts on owling mine? I bought a set of Fevered visions for 4 dollars and wanted to try it.

So how do we give enough to control to make it so combo isn't too much of a big deal and linear strategies can't do it as well, but not let control get out of control?

I'd rather win than just dream about it

Unban Mind Sculp

Reprint Counterspell

Then see how that works out. I think that would be healthy.

I mean, it seems good, but it feels to slow without some sort of massive disruption spell to punish linear aggro

Counterspell and ponder would be a nice start. Ponder helps combo a bit but it also lets control dig for answers. That's at least a pretty good start.

Probably unban BBE while we're at it.

I mean it's like 8 rack but you can't play bridge and you extra lose to burn. Good luck m8

Ban bolt. Feels too "auto-includey".
Unban Preordain or Seething Song.