The BBEG is a Chuuni

>The BBEG is a Chuuni
How would you build an adventure around this?

Other urls found in this thread:

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Chuunibyou
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You ever seen the cockblocking an elf copypasta? Do that.

Play along.

I havent
Pls post it

The BBEG is targeted by an ancient wandering soul, a megalomaniac with no sense of right and wrong.

Because the BBEG has no actual power but a lot of ambition and the soul had a lot of power but no body, it becomes a "man behind the curtain" relationship, where the BBEG is just gleefully going along with it thinking he has ALL THE SPELLS when in reality it's just the wandering soul's power echoing.

After a while, probably once the players find out and call him out, the soul possesses the chuuni.

What's a Chuuni?

Everything is surprisingly low-risk but the BBEG treats it like the hottest shit.

This is actually kinda true for my campaign, except he's in a world where magic actually exists and he's one of the better casters. He imagines himself as some sort of super-competent villain when he's got a Wisdom of 6 and relies on his patron for plans that don't fall apart when a strong wind passes by.
On the darker side, he's also an alarmingly competent spellcaster and artificer and once built a warforged using an eons-old manual that he made even smarter than himself.
So he's a powerful villain, just not the way or to the degree he thinks he is.

On my tablet so I don't have it. TLDR version is make it a real campaign but have the reason, which in your case would be the BBEG having no sense of what they really are, be incredibly lame. IF cockblocking an elf.

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Chuunibyou

>You defeated my skeleton, impressive!
>But how will you deal with FIVE skeletons?
>O-Oh... that was over fast
>Well, try this on for size then! A GIANT skelet-
>Already? Fine then! I'll just squash you with my mind crush!
>Any minute now!
>Aaaaaany minute now!
>H-Hey, where are you going?
>Stop, you can't just leave when I'm about to rewrite your very perception of reality! That's incredibly rude!
>S-See you next Friday then?

>that gif
Some crazy bitch keeps blowing up the old castle that your party is trying to shelter in after losing everything. And she refuses to stop blowing it up.

Here ya go.

Best part is she'd break down and panic if she actually did some legitimate, hardcore thing.

Thanks m8

You know, I'm starting a new game soon. I think I'm going to make this the first quest the PCs undertake. After all, when the most wealthy person in the entire burrow is just a lonely little girl with a fair amount of magic power looking for someone to play with, why not put a 'bounty' on her own head?

>Expects one of the PCs to contemplate either killing her or bringing her with them to raise her as their own, depending on who takes the notion first. But it'll be a different start if anything.

>Burrow
Borough, goddamn you phone...

There was a thread not too long ago that featured an idea that might fit:

A small, mountainous county, annexed by a larger nation in the not too distant past, has been suffering a slew of strange plagues and curses. Individually, none of them are very powerful or deadly, but each one is obnoxious and persistent, and all together they are beginning to take their toll on the region. The PCs will eventually discover that these plagues and curses are the work of a petty and vindictive local goddess that is using her very modest powers to punish all her former followers who now worship the annexing nation's more powerful and popular pantheon.

The PCs can then attempt to fight her, reason with her, or help her as they see fit.

Hope youre ready in case one of the players just shoots her before she even says anything

Like this Jimi....

Just have the bounty be set by her father, and with nothing if she's dead.
"Just bring her back in one piece. Bruised is ok, but in one piece please."

> "F-fine then! Behold, my ultimate technique! EYE OF THE SATAN!"
> squeezes one eye shut and makes a look of intense concentration as she makes the stink eye at the party
> suddenly her open eye flashes, turns into a field of stars, and a giant fucking ghost dragon shoots out of her eye like a laser beam, dealing incredible damage to everything in a straight line in front of her
> ABSOLUTE PANIC
> SHE CAN'T TURN IT OFF
> ALSO SHE CAN'T SEE BECAUSE HER OTHER EYE IS CLOSED
> three rounds later it finally stops, but by then the battlefield is in shambles
> she runs away, yelling "Oh god oh god"
> in later fights she doesn't use that attack ever again, and in fact refuses to talk about it if asked

It's called "Star Wars: The Force Awakens".

I never thought of it like that but youre right
Kek

I mean I'd play that, granted I am a huge faggot, but I'd play that.

All of the BBEG's chuuni shit is completely legitimate but is presented in such a way so as to make it completely unbelievable.

>Actually has an ancient dragon god sealed in their left eye.
>The anti-demon crest carved into the right arm is actually keeping a lord of Hell from being released into world.
>Their soul is actually that of a primordial sorcerer driven mad by a thousand transmigrations that they can only barely keep in check.
>Their magic is actually so powerful that they can't control it.
>They are actually the last pureblood descendant of an ancient civilization who freely mixed their blood with angels to magnify their power.
>They are actually being hunted by a secret organization that seeks to prevent their awakening to their true power, which threatens to overturn the balance of the world.
>After their awakening, they want to use their power to conquer the land of the gods, turn the divinities into their slaves and turn their land into a paradise.
>They also won't fucking shut up about it every time the party runs into them and they brag about it in the most annoying ways possible.
>Except the party completely ignored them for about 90% of this because "Yeah, whatever. No one who so obviously dresses and acts like what a fourteen year old thinks an ultimate evil wizard looks like could actually be an ultimate evil wizard.

Bully them, all Chuunis deserve bullying

>bullying chuunis

It's what they deserve

Here is what you do, user.

Have the chunni be the first quest of the game, like you said. make them chunni as FUCK, but a not inconsiderable amount of magical power. Enough to keep herself from getting killed by the party because things got way to serious and it forces her to drop character because she doesn't actually want to kill anyone.

Then let the players forget about them. Move on to the actual BBEG and do normal BBEG things. The Chunni was just a joke character, after all.

Reveal, near the end of the game, that the Chuuni is the last remaining member of the ancient bloodline who can defeat the BBEG. She is the chosen one, has been all along. She is, however, exactly as chunni as when you last saw her and is totally unprepared for this fight. There is no way she will make it to the BBEG without the PCs help.

Then the final sessions are an elaborate training montage

Beware of Poe's Law. Even if its a parody, people might take it as a serious attempt at making an overpowered BBEG.

Needs a mixing in of some childish traits or false beliefs. Like that he wields some sort of magic which is explicitly impossible by the setting's own rules, everyone knows this, and whenever he tries to cast this "magic" it does nothing and he makes some excuse why nothing happened. And then he pulls out the setting's equivalent of a gun and goes to town.

I want to play in your game.

>none of the campaign is real
>all the PCs are indulging their delusions and playing along

is it chuuni if they really do have great and dangerous power?

Have a number of these be true at once.

Only due to side effects from the others, they're negated or severely de-powered...while still being able to pull a lot of power when needed because OPTIONS.

What the fuck is a chunni?

See

>But now the tide has turned against you, for using the evil eye of techniques of ancient Cathay I have taken possession of all the ten foot poles in the city! Bow before my might, adventurers, or be doomed to an eternity of torment!
>party just buys some ten foot ladders and takes them apart

Why the fuck are the Japanese so very weird?

I think just about every culture finds people taking themselves too seriously, then not being taken seriously, funny.

Unless those people are running the country, then it becomes a bitworrisome,

Why would they even need ten foot poles? Was part of the Chuuni's master plan to buy an incredibly expensive antimagic shield generator to surround her stronghold with an exactly ten foot wide moat? Did she buy all ten foot poles in town to ensure nobody could enter or leave without her permission and she was too cheap to actually build walls (probably because she wasted all her money on the antimagic shield)?

user, NO!

>Why would they even need ten foot poles?
This is Pathfinder thing. By the rulebook prices 10ft ladder costs less than two 10ft poles, and it's not very difficult for PC to buy and sell mundane items at the stock price. Then you can go "buy ladder, take apart, sell poles, repeat ad nauseam" for infinite money.

This was legitimately one of the saddest scenes I've ever watched.

I thought it was for prodding around for traps from afar, like an overcompensating blindman?

Eye of the Tiger and Gonna Fly Now playing would be entirely mandatory.

>Why would they even need ten foot poles?
Do you now crawl around in dungeons? Are you even a real adventurer?

I bet you don't even charge gazebos.

Playing at the same time.

The BBEG is actually an average high school student/middle-aged salaryman reincarnated into another world. With all the OPness that usually comes with it.

The only way to beat him is bullying him to death.

You can actually pinpoint the second when her heart rips in half.

Context?

Long story short and omitting plenty
>Girl is super Chuuni
>MC forces her to confront that it's not real
But seriously watch the show, it's actually a really sweet and funny romcom. Though it can be rather cringey to watch.

Mind telling me the name?

I believe I recognize that eyepatch...

The name is literally Chuunibyou

That's the second time the MC ever sees the Chuuni girl.
The first time was when she was climbing out of her window, and past his own. They both live in the same apartment building.

She creeps him the fuck out at first, because he was a Chuuni in middle-school but is trying to leave all that behind him in high-school

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai.

A heartwarming story about a young man who wants to forget about all the embarrassing things he did in middle school and a girl who won't stop doing them herself.

And also two lesbians in the same situation.

It also gets a little depressing at times when they start revealing the chuunis are well aware of reality and choose to live in their fantasy world because their lives kinda suck.

I'm pretty sure the older of those two isn't a lesbian, the younger is is probably a lesbian

My classic go-to for chuuni characters to make them less cringe-worthy is implementing traits that make it obvious that they're still kind of a loser. Like, the ancient dragon god sealed in their eye doesn't make their eye look any different. The golden eye with the slit pupil is just a colored contact that they think is cool. Fingerless gloves all the time, and for no reason. Long grey wig they're wearing over their normal hair. All the extra belts and buckles on their pants don't do anything. None of their jewelry is magic and they just think it makes them look cooler. In fact, if they just dressed like a normal human, you probably couldn't even tell that it was the same person.

Kinda reminds me of the Elf who went to a hidden library to learn some hidden magical arts for her party to help in stopping the evil overlord.
The problem is that she spent hundreds of years in this library without notice the times change. She when she got out to show her team mates what she learned she found them to be long dead, the evil overlord rules the world and people start thinking she's some kind of Sage

I'm usually a bit sad that I end up on /tg every night. But not tonight. This thread rules. Thanks, guys.

I'm going to run a lighthearted campaign soon, and this thread has given me many ideas, thank you everyone.

>chuuni 'lich'
>actually just a mad scientist and all of his 'magic' is merely advanced for the setting
>"BEHOLD AS I ESCAPE DEATH BY BOMBARDING MY CANCEROUS FLESH WITH DEATH ASPECT!"
>literally just chemo to cure his cancer
>your quest is basically to stop his radiation experiments
>a chunk of uranium is his "phylactery"

Fffffffffffag

That's pretty much the Adeptus Mechanicus.

A powerful, extra-dimensional creature has attached itself to the delusions of a childish, nerdy 14-year-old girl and the psychokinetic powers she can barely control.

It makes her delusions real to the best of it's ability, and in the process feeds on the fear, pain and suffering she's inflicting on others.

This is starting to sound like a damn good Delta Green scenario.

Hell, there are child soldiers in African warzones that are chuuni as FUCK.

They just also happen to have aks and kill and rape people for real, too.

Isn't she actually a psychopomp though that everyone just thinks is goth monster girl?

I seem to remember seeing that in a chapter.

Not-in-the-book nap girl best girl, but little sister that thinks edgy brother is the coolest is best character

>Not-in-the-book nap girl best girl,
Too bad Krillin will never get her.

>best character in the series
>not in the book
It figures, really.

we need to go deeper

Yes. Darling had a near death experience and she talked to him from the other side
She also told him she doesn't want to marry him, because marriage ends at death, and once he passes on she'll be with him forever.

The BBEG possesses a magical artifact that will grant them any power they truely believe that they already have, but they don't actually have the delusional willpower to just make themselves believe arbitrary things so they just go full scenery gnawing ham with everything because they think getting into the spirit of it will help.

>because marriage ends at death
>Unlike all other girls, when everyone actually thought Lala tried to kill Darling Miia remained with him
>She actually asked Lala to kill her as well so she and Darling could be united in the afterlife

Best girl in this life, best girl in the next.

Would make a good bit in an anime at exactly the right balance of epic, cringe and funny.

You'd have to make it obviously unbelievable and suggest certain proof that the character is just stupid and delusional. Otherwise you face the risk of your players assuming that the character is exactly as they claim, you're just a shitty, edgy weeaboo GM with bad taste.

the chuuni is actually trying to ask for help from the party after a few encounters, make thier conditions gradually get worse.
EG
first encounter. braggin n shit, Party just kinda slaughters the goons and so on.

seccond encounter. more braggin more goons

third same

maybe around number 8 the BBEG starts to sound less confident when they brag.

13 and it sounds like shes really scared.

16~ the party saves the chuuni who wasnt even the BBEG all along. just a lost little child who was telling the truth the whole time.
Induct the child to the band of Murder hobos.
and they all get a little cottage in the woods as a reward.

and so ends the prologue.

Easy make it a reincarnation story the Japanese love so much and make them the bad.
It's double points if they were super chunni in their last life and all this did was aggravate the problem immediately.

There's a Fedora: the Tipping supplement all about this.
Unfortunately, I was the one who wrote it, so I'll have to go away from the keyboard for a bit after this so I don't plug my own shit even more.

Them's fightin' words user
I hope you're ready to back it up

What about habit a Chuuni character that isn't the BBEG, or even an enemy per se, but who is seriously impeding the PCs quest to stop the real BBEG?

She was born and bred to be this weapon against great evil, the last of her lineage, the world's last hope, the Chosen One of Prophecy, but she really has very little power and even less skill. The PCs, while not having the pedigree or the resources of the Chuuni, are 10,000 times more skilled and intelligent than she is, and actually possess the wherewithal to take the BBEG down, but must also be forced to deal with the increasingly dire fallout from the Chuuni's misguided quest.

Reading through this.
First time I hear about the main game (meaning Fedora). The game itself doesn't look that interesting.
The japanese trivia in here, though is 11/10. If it's true, of course.
Reading just for it.

It is true, to the very best of my knowledge. I take pride in being a power weeaboo.

>and they all get a little cottage in the woods as a reward
>as a reward
>for killing a whole lot of innocent people who were also trying to help the chuuni
No karma in your universe then

They were dumb enough to follow chuuni's orders.
It's just natural selection.

So was the party.

Really .... makes you think

Nigga, go read/watch some Key.

Plot twist - upon settling int he cottage the party is wiped out, the Chuuni escapes painfully injured.

Party was just a new set of goons.

We bully da BBEG into submission through public humiliation.
We make a scryer recording of it and show it to him day in and day out after successfully capturing him.

I love my party for being CN and NE counts with sadistic streaks.

For a less anime campaign, use this guy

>maximum chuuni
>not weeb
Yes, we can!

Isn't he just a compulsive liar/bard? It's not chuuni if you don't believe it yourself.

I'm not sure you can.

A BBEG is BIG, aka actually a dangerous threat.
A chunni is a delusional person who doesnt realize they can't do shit.

The best you can do is magic wheatly, and have some warloch who summons demons with a magic item who he has no idea that they aren't listening to him. But then the bbeg would likely be the biggest demon he summoned, not wheatley proper.

I don't know, someone who constantly summons monsters he can't control sounds like a major threat to me