EDH/Commander General

Manly Melee edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface. (Outdated)
magiccards.info

>Up-to-date alternative to magiccards
magidex.com

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/EN_MS-KLD-02PortraitPost_0.jpg
magidex.com/advanced
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How do I avoid getting buttfucked by black when playing monowhite?

first for slippery snakes

>AM LOVISA
>AM STRONK AND FIERCE
>LIKE FERTILE OX

re asking

Question time, because I know it's going to come up this weekend:

Say I get targeted by Emrakul 2.0. I then cast Stifle on the Mindslaver trigger so I don't get taken over. Do I get the extra turn? I believe not but I'm not positive

I love Lovisa Coldeyes. she's pretty. But i'm too spike to bring myself to play her. It hurts.

Rely on great enchantments and artifacts that are hard for black to remove

Don't overextend into board wipes

Tutor Sword of feast and famine

You do not, it's all one triggered ability, if you stifle it you skip the whole thing, same as if you give yourself hexproof

Play Hokori

>Make a snake tribal commander
>Isn't in all colors for one of the best snake cards in Ophiomancer
>Isn't even very good for tribal interactions, the mono green snakes from Kamigawa managed to be better
>Good Kaseto is just UG control featuring kaseto as voltron wincon
just

This is the problem with tribes that only exist in one block

That's more or less what he was doing with his deck. No sac outlets, no recursion, basically no graveyard shenanigans at all. It was painful, looking back on it

Just pick her up, maybe a foil, and sleeve it to put away in your binder. That's what i do when there are cards i want to use but i can't for some reason.

re-asking since thread moved

I kinda do this. It's why my friend gave me his Sisay. We share cards but he's currently using all our good WG stuff and we both know I can't build it. But he knows I love Sisay. But I never really thought about it that way. Maybe I'll do that. Thanks user.

Eh. Okay. I guess probably in that context your Daretti should have been the target. But in all fairness that's because the only other good commander at the table was going out of their way to make the shittiest Karador ever, not really because just playing Daretti puts a target on your back since Karador should have been the prime target then. But fair enough.

Surely there is a way to abuse this strange card

soulshift?

Haakon is a go-to standard.

Lovisa is Godo's one true love

Post your best stupid combos

Patriarch's Bidding?

it's only good in lifegain or on turn 1, serra isn't nearly as broken in EDH as people believe. It will put a target on your back tho

Angel of Glory's Rise would probably get pretty gross.

Name Zombie
The rest does itself

Gisa
AND
Geralf

In all fairness to him, it was the first EDH deck he ever built. No idea what he was doing, no idea how strong Karador can be.

Man all you had to do was use good green black cards. But anyway you're right I didnt mean to drag it out since it was really true that you were the biggest threat at the table then.

God dammit why does Godo keep coming up in these threads

I love the guy and am in the process of tuning my deck into the best thing it can be and it pains me to know how much it's going to cost

why aren't you playing pic related?
inb4 no blue commanders

This.

I might actually have to get that now for my own GG deck. Would Conspiracy work the same way? Because if a card being in a graveyard qualifies as not being in play then Conspiracy is probably better.

I don't feel like paying nine mana to do shit or a 5 mana do nothing.

magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/EN_MS-KLD-02PortraitPost_0.jpg

AHHHHHH

WHoooooaaaaaoooooooo

What cards are you getting? I'm considering making an edh with him as the commander.

Yeah, it counts but Ashes is cheaper, and the graveyard interation is the most important. And you do have some artifact synergy since you're in blue. Conspiracy seems too expensive for its effect imo for how and Gisa and Geralf want to abuse it.

Neat!

Holy shit nigger.must get this.

Sweet God this is going to be busted wide open so fast.

lol artifacts

fuck theros

"enchentmonts r hard" Mark "If it ain't a Machine, I don't know what you mean" Rosewater

We better get a city of brass reprint in this
I swear to christ

Wizards what are you doing

BUT WE WERE SAVING THE ENCHANTMENTS FOR THIRD SET
IT'S GREEK WORLD NOT ENCHANTMENT WORLD

The good Mirran Swords besides F&F, Jitte, Gauntlet of Might, Crypt/various fast mana. Probably a Forcefield too because I'd get rekt by creature heavy decks, my current build goes super tall and I'd like to keep it that way

Jesus did you guys even listen to his podcast episode on Theros Block?

Considering I listed some of the exact reasons he's said for Theros block's enchantment fail, I would assume so.

God am I glad Wizards loves artifacts

Enchantment Creatures again when?

did you even take cock out of your mouth

Return to theros

W H O F U C K I N G C A R E S

ARTIFACTS, NIGGA

No that's icky have more fucking artifacts we've not had enough of those.

How is this only a rare?

so Magiccardsinfo still doesnt have Eldritch Moon on their site. What's taking them so long?

How build Lovisa?

I want more constellation.

>It's legendary so it's balanced! :^)

It's dead Jim.

magidex.com/advanced

I feel like Constellation didn't have to be named. They didn't name all the "when an artifact comes into play" effects. And constellation is a good name.

But yes we need more of that but they won't because wizards hates enchantments. There's some valid reasons for that such as them being generally non interactive and hard to remove but they can just make enchantments that aren't that.

God, I wish Wizards loved cards other than artifacts

Is this the new magic cards info? Im confused.

Pretty much. The newer scans aren't quite as high quality but the search engine and syntax is the same and it has the newest sets

Artifacts are the best permanent type. But I do wish we could get more Enchantment support.

To be honest I kind of had like a subtle inkling maybe they'd redo enchantment creatures here because of all the talk about how the aether invigorates and shapes all living things. I imagine things like wild animals with that aether pattern on them glowing or something to indicate being enchantments like how the nyx starfield was used.

But I'm sure they won't do that. There's no reason to do that. We can have artifact creatures for no reason but enchantment creatures need to have a reason to be there.

It's what I've been using because info seems to be abandoned. They were getting slower and slower with each update, so I'm guessing they either moved on or something big happened, iunno.

Magidex seems to be up to date and stuff, though I have a few grievances with it.

>And constellation is a good name.
isn't even a good name, what the fug

>doesn't even enter tapped
First spoiled card and it's already fucking nuts

I am on board the hype train

Those are not his reasons at all. The fucking episode is called "Lessons Learned: Theros". He didn't defend it at all, he explains how having "enchantments" as a subtheme translates to "enchantments matter" to players.

Not even for a minute.

Enchantments can be made interactive in fun ways if they tried.

Because my commander gets better use out of Ring of Three Wishes.

rip Gatherer

I fucking hit random into the wee hours gaining a passing familiarity with almost every major card when I started playing during Alara. I miss those comments

>he explains how having "enchantments" as a subtheme translates to "enchantments matter"
This is what Theros is a "greek world", not "enchantment world" means. He also says he believes they should have introduced the them earlier.

Someone mentioned gunboat diplomacy last thread. Who are the best generals to enforce this kind of strategy?

Thinking about building Erebos, what are some must-haves? I'm a little budget, but I'm open to suggestions.

Barbarians, Warriors and Bersekers obviously :^)

I'd just play the best of each and a bunch of equipment and extra combat phases and a couple damage doublers for good measure though to be honest.

I need your help. My group is currently stuck in the clutches of Elder Durdle Highlander: Build a huge boardstate, don't attack until you can swing for lethal. Almost no interaction.

I want to speed these fuckers up. Not in the "interact or I combo off and you all die" way that tier 1 decks have, but ways of committing at least something to offense, and not just sitting around the whole game.

Play mono-red aggro

Marchesa. If they like to durdle, they'll want to take that tasty Crown off you; just make sure you can protect it hardcore.

Or force them to attack with shit like bullwhip.

Play CN2 Marchesa land destruction, or a friendlier but still proactive go wide strategy depending on how competitive your group is. The new Marchesa and the Monarch mechanic are designed specifcially to rectify durdling in multiplayer

I'm an idiot. Why is this so good? It just seems like an expensive tutor to me.

It's easy life gain and tutoring. It doesn't need to do much else to be good.

It's an artifact tutor for literally any color with no downside.

Utility lands are generally good because they have low opportunity cost. It's not a spell you have to draw at the right time, since it's always a land at the worst. I don't think it's THAT great though. Lands are tough to judge because even stuff like the sac and make a couple tokens for a billion mana effects like that thopter land from ORI playable and they aren't a tutor or gain life.

>reanimating Skyline Despot in Feldon before my turn

Heartless hidetsugo ogre from kamigawa. Kaalia but she relies on creatures she drops. Purphoros with creature tokens.
Use cards that force people to attack, force destruction or sacrifice, or cards with punisher effects, like manabarbs.
Grey merchant of asphodel. But i like cramming reassembling skeleton into edhs that have access if possible.

I mean, other than having to play enough artifacts to have 3 artifacts on board to be a tutor. Some colors can and want to do this easier than others but I feel like 3 is probably the perfect number where you really have to build around it. Don't get me wrong, I think it's good. I just don't think it's like play in everything in all colors good.

>want to build Alesha next
>Also want to build Skullbriar, Hidetsugu and Feldon

HELP

Also I feel like almost every Alesha build is "Entomb Master of Cruelties, swing with Alesha, trigger, win" and I don't want to fall into that trap

Play those cards in your deck and just don't do it if you don't want to win that easy. I think people fall into the trap of not playing good cards in your deck when you can play those cards and just not do it unless you need to win or be a dick. It's like land destruction or combos in general.

make mono red "must attack if able"
you could even have this guy at the helm

>all that red
I like you

>magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/EN_MS-KLD-02PortraitPost_0.jpg

now I just wait for the U/R legend that has synergy with artifacts

We already know Saheeli Rai if UR.

We won't get the UR artifact commander this set :^)

user...

is there a card that gives my whole board menace in red? im building purphoros tokens

I can't stop building red decks. I need help. I just finished Zada and now I'm building Kazuul, Feldon, Aurelia, and Marton Stromgald. I don't know what's happening to me. I used to build only black decks but I've scrapped some recent decks I was in the process of building for red decks.

Help me.

Goblin War Drums, baby

>Marton Stromgald
Nigga lessee that list

Goblin War Drums. Make sure you get the version with Richard Kane Ferguson art

Just go build a two color deck with red, then try to move away from the red parts of it.

>im building purphoros tokens
Don't. You will get so insanely bored of it, so fast.

I dont get it