Does DnD allow you to one hit kill your party member out of nowhere?

Does DnD allow you to one hit kill your party member out of nowhere?

I mean, if you successfully stab them in the throat out of the blue, that should be it.

I guess the real question is, can you one hit kill?

Sure if you deal massive damage all at once, but what about very specific and directed weak damage? Like a throat stab?

Going down this rabbit hole of inaccuracies in D&D results in a heap of house rules and loss of players. To prevent this I ask myself what my players want and what keeps them interested and break or follow rules according to that goal.

Power of plot

If the plot doesn't call for it, then nope

...What are you going to do with this information if we give it to you, OP?

how do you do "stabbing in the throat" in game that doesn't have specific hit locations?
I mean, you can say all you want "I'm stabbing him in the throat" but at the end of the day there's no rule for hit locations so it's up to the DM to decided what happens.

No, it doesn't, why would it? Justify it all you want, it's not going to work. Your sword attack does 1d8+3 damage.

"I stab him through the eye socket and into the brain!" 1d8+3

"I lunge for the heart and pierce it!" 1d8+3

"I slit their throat!" 1d8+3

You're like someone trying to use Prestidigation to pop an eyeball, saying it only take 3 pounds of pressure that the spell can easily provide. No, that's not how that works, because the rules say the spell cannot inflict any damage. Stop trying. The rules say your attack does the damage it does. Will that amount of damage instant kill your target? If the answer is no, your target is not instantly killed.

>I mean, if you successfully stab them in the throat out of the blue, that should be it.
D&D doesn't use specific hit locations, so that is irrelevant.

>if I cut your throat, will you die?

Coup de grace
Auto crit and depending on the version max damage.

There is a common house rule for massive damage, namely if you deal half their hp in one hit, they roll con or die (the save is fuzzy).

All that I know of. Most of the time it requires you to have the other person incapacitated, otherwise an ambushing goblin might kill your pc on a lucky roll.

Doesn't it though? I thought I remember reading that Called Shot has -2 to hit or some shit.

>Does DnD allow you to one hit kill your party member out of nowhere?

No, it does not. An unsuspecting target is flat-footed, not helpless. You ignore their Dex mod to AC, but cannot Coup de Gras or otherwise instantly kill them unless your regular or sneak attack damage is high enough to do so.

Something like a throat stab would be represented by a critical hit, which you have no control over. Or sneak attack, though again that's merely additional damage and not an instant kill.

>I mean, if you successfully stab them in the throat out of the blue, that should be it.
If you rolled enough damage to kill him then you have successfully stabbed him in the throat. If you have not rolled enough damage to kill him then you have ether hit somewhere less important or your target has barely parried the stab, causing himself some strain.

The way that D&D is abstracted is kind of confusing and shitty but thems the breaks.
Depending on the edition the DM may allow you to sacrifice AC or Attack to increase damage by making a reckless or aimed blow. However the game is fundamentally built on abstract wargame systems, thus Hit Points are the ability not to die from hits. If you want to kill a guy with a hit you have to get rid of his HP.

Also you sound like a sack of shit, for the sake of your group I hope you aren't. If you are you should consider not being a sack of shit. The game is best when everyone is working together.
PvP is fun when everyone is on board. But if everyone was on board you'd be discussing this with your DM and not us. Communication between DM and player is, of course, vital to playing the game.

>tl;dr
-No your plan won't work under the common understanding of the rules
-Talk to your Dungeon Master about how your game works
-You sound like a wierdo, don't be a wierdo

There is no such thing as "directed weak damage" that's just represented by higher damage (usually due to a crit or sneak attack or something like that)

The closest to what you're describing would be a coup de grace, but that assumes the target can't really defend themselves in very mechanical terms that usually aren't entirely met just by someone not expecting you to attack them

A Coup de Grace is basically just like taking 10/20 on an attack roll.

You can't just "stab them in the throat". You can TRY to stab them in the throat. The DM will then review the situation and apply relevent modifiers, e.g. flat footed.

The dice then determine how it went down.

To stab someone in the throat, even if they're defenceless, you'd need to grab the knife without dropping it, lift it to throat level, make sure the pointy bit goes towards their neck, then push with enough force to cut through. ANY NUMBER of things can go wrong.

Your rolls represent how successful you are at performing that action. You roll a critical that kills your target? Congrats, you pulled it off. You roll badly? Guess you missed and just skimmed the cheekbone.

A coup de grace is just you saying "i keep trying to stab them in the neck until i manage it, even if it takes fifteen attempts because I keep dropping the knife"

A bad DM will abstract each phase of combat as "you hit them with your axe! they lose 10 hp". That breaks immersion. You start to wonder how characters survive these injuries.

Some systems explicitly refer to HP as your ability to AVOID injury. The video game Bloodborne refers to your HP as the force of will keeping you conscious, and the simple act of defeating your foes can cause you to rally, regaining morale and thus HP.

4th Ed D&D (or so I heard) used the same system, allowing stuff like battle cries to restore HP non-magically; you're not being healed, you're gaining a second wind.

For dramatic reasons. D&D isn't exactly a simulationist system, after all.

>allowing stuff like battle cries to restore HP non-magically

As a 4e Warlord I can confirm this.

Shit is so fucking cash.

The thing with a coup de grace is it's so lethal that surviving basically requires a nat 20. I don't remember how it works after 3.5, but between how absurdly unlikely it is to make that fort save of 10+damage dealt and how it does a shit ton of damage even if you fail I consider that pretty much the same as surviving getting stabbed in the neck

That's fine for some games, but that's fucking terrible for the tone of many others

ToB stuff should allow you to even at higher levels, although it depends on a few factors.

Sure?

It doesn't exist in 5e, that said, 5e also tells the DM to make the call on things much more often than 3.5 did, so it wouldn't surprise me if my DM immediately had me making death saving throws if stabbed in my sleep.

Well yeah. I thought the whole point was you couldn't call a CdG if your target could do ANYTHING to resist. Even if you've got to wedge the knife between some scales and kick it a bit before it goes in, you've got the opening and they can't stop you.

Yeah. But for HIGH ADVENTURE! it's pretty great, and even when things are semi-serious it's okay. Wouldn't work too well for CoC.

A heroic second wind isn't exactly unheard of, though. It's a pretty classic element in fantasy stories and ties really well into the idea of a Bard class.

The game I'm running has hit points refresh whenever you get a rest. Swig of water and five minutes tops you back up. Any damage that exceeds your hit points (which can be one lucky swipe from a halberd) comes right out of your stats, so it's a small mercy.

Go to d20srd.org and look for it, then go Google d&d 4E players handbook, and then download the 5E player's book from their general and look for it

And then come back and discover you remember wrong.

If you could do called shots everyone would use true strike and crossbows to instakill anyone around them.

No.

Consider this: a high level Fighter has been surprised by a thug, and the thug now has his knife against his throat. He threatens the Fighter to stay put, or else!

The Fighter realizes that his current hit point total is far more than what damage the knife could possibly cause (even with a crit) in a single round, and proceeds to do whatever he pleases.

This means he cannot die from being held at knifepoint. You could argue that this is unrealistic, but you have to remember that hp are a cinematic abstraction. The Fighter having hp still left after being attacked by the thug doesn't mean he stood there while being stabbed in the throat, it means that his throat never got cut in the first place. He surprised the thug, elbowed him in the ribs or twisted the knife out of his hand or whatever. In a sense hp are a narrative mechanic in an otherwise gamist system, really. They allow the players to narrate attacks against their character as misses and glancing blows, retroactively changing the fiction to follow the results of a die roll. It's pretty interesting way to think about it!

Only if they're helpless.

Call shots are a variant rule, and even then they don't allow you to hit someone in the throat for instant kill. And if they did all you to target the throat, the penalties would be way more than -2.

I handle "instant death" with two general rules.

The players need to know in advance that they're playing high stakes, of course. Getting dropped without warning is bad enough in a video game with checkpoints, let alone tabletop with permadeath.

The other rule is that I always give a way to avoid it. Generally the players get a chance to scope the situation in advance and sometimes even fire the first shot. The monster might be strong and fast enough to pop your head off like a cork, but if you pay attention to NPC advice you'll know how to track and kill it. The raid boss might be immune to bullets, but you can hear it stomping up the stairs and you've got a minute to find a way to trip it up.

Don't forget in 3.5
"Coup de Grace
As a full-round action, you can use a melee weapon to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless opponent. You can also use a bow or crossbow, provided you are adjacent to the target.

You automatically hit and score a critical hit. If the defender survives the damage, he must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or die. A rogue also gets her extra sneak attack damage against a helpless opponent when delivering a coup de grace.

Delivering a coup de grace provokes attacks of opportunity from threatening opponents.

You can’t deliver a coup de grace against a creature that is immune to critical hits. You can deliver a coup de grace against a creature with total concealment, but doing this requires two consecutive full-round actions (one to "find" the creature once you’ve determined what square it’s in, and one to deliver the coup de grace)."

Like I said above You can't just say "I stab the bandit in the throat" any more than you could say "the bandit then decides to become a priest".

You control YOUR character's actions, not the actions of NPCs.

This goes DOUBLE for PvP. A handy trick from Magic: The Gathering that I learned is to always confirm. Don't just say "I attack with my dragon and deal six damage". Say "I'm about to declare my attackers." That way you're not trampling over each other, and you're not undoing anyone else's actions.

You can account for these shenanigans by informing the player that they're not stabbing a mannequin. If they want to try to land a pinpoint eye stab with any weapon, their opponent is going to do one of two things; move slightly unless they roll 20 twice or something, or attack the shit out of them for the awkward positioning and tunnel vision they have in trying to land such an accurate shot. Even snipers only generally aim for the center face, and olympic fencers barely land meat shots like chest or gut.

Called shots are a variant rule, and even then they don't allow you to hit someone in the throat for instant kill. And if they did allow you to target the throat, the penalty would be way more than -2.

Hit points are a valid simulationist mechanic, rather than narrative mechanic, if you follow the advice of . D&D played "correctly" follows the following logic: describe what a character is trying to do in general terms -> roll the dice -> describe the outcome in specific terms. If you skip to the end and then backtrack, things can get weird. In this case, the GM shouldn't describe the thug as getting a knife to the fighter's throat in the first place -- the fighter's remaining/max health (depending on how you interpret hp) indicate that fighter's guard is too good for such a cheap tactic to work.

That said, the way you do it isn't badwrong or anything.

In most systems, "Called Shots" Are general areas still. Like head, arm, leg. Not eyeball, or tongue.

I prefer just thinking of PCs as the ancient heroes of myth they're supposed to be. Sure you might be able to sneak up and slit Hercules' throat if you're skilled enough, but don't bet on him not just being so damn tough he survives the normally lethal wound and beats you to death with your own arm afterwards.

I allow instant death in absurdly rare circumstances. If a player rolls 3 20s to hit in a row on a non boss, or 4 on a boss or player then they get the instant kill. A few years of DMing and I've seen the small fry one happen 2 times, and the boss killer once.

In combat your weapons damage and your modifier reflects how likely you are to deal grievous damage with it. In combat a 1 on your damage roll means that whilst you definitely connected with your opponent's flesh, you likely only gave them a painful, but shallow, cut. An 8 on your 1d8 means you likely just stabbed straight through something more important, something that when combined with other wounds will eventually be part of what brings them down.

Out of combat I'd say fuck yes to throat-stab. If you pass a reasonable DC check on Slight of Hand you can pull behind someone with your dagger and stab, stab, stab. Reasonably, out of combat, what chance do they have to resist? It might not be 100% rules accurate, but I don't think it's unfair to let them kill an NPC who is asleep in bed or wandering down the street completely unaware.

But that all falls flat the moment health potions start entering the mix. Considering the fighter is already capable of superhuman feats at that point he can tank a direct hit from a knife (like jumping off a cliff and landing without breaking bones), it's logical (and saner) to assume that the knife simply does not penetrate his neck in a meaningful way, much like how many monsters are immune to unenchanted weapons.

Eeh, keeping hp as meat points leads to all kinds of weird situations, like an executioner taking several swings to chop off a high level character's head and so on. I prefer to think of hps as the measure of "if this was an action movie, how much screen time this character has left?"

That being said I actually prefer how the old, old D&D had all weapons doing same damage (d6). It doesn't really make sense for a long sword eating up your dramatic screentime faster than a dagger, for example.

What if you roll that 1 against a low level Elf Wizard with 3 HP? That's not a shallow nick. That's a cut that was very nearly lethal.

What if you roll that 8 against a skilled warrior with 80HP? You certainly did not just stab him through an important part of his body because then he'd be dead not merely wounded.

Even rolling minimum damage against some creatures should be described as being devastatingly effective, and rolling maximum damage against some creatures should be described as not even landing.

That's how Hit Points work.

Yeah but then you're in a situation where a steel dagger wielded with force by an adult human thrust directly into your PC's throats fails to penetrate.

I mean if the point of a dagger directly into one of the most vulnerable parts of the body doesn't hurt, what does?

I'm thinking in general, systemless terms mostly. D&D with HP per level has never been about narrative realism.

Considering that in some editions you can get XP for roleplaying (I think)...

Could it be possible to survive a thirty story fall purely by HP earned through angst?

Or maybe if you walked into a bank, picked up every coin in the vault, then put it back, you'd level up so many times that you could block swords barehanded?

You can Coup De Grace an unconcious character, which means they have to usve been brought to 0 HP , or be asleep naturally or via a spell, which depending on the rules set usually gives you an easy or autohit, autocrits and a chance to kill them outright if you do enough damage.

There's a bunch of save or die spells that you could cast at your party members. An assassain in 5E gets an autocrit if they surprise a character which potentially could take a character out in 1 , and there's similiar and far more overpowered stuff you can do in 3.5 that would let you more often than not kill an unsuspecting character with a bit of luck.

The real question is why do you want to start doing random pvp?

Real executions have taken several chops, why wouldn't PCs? And that goes both ways, if a player gets rolls max for sneak attack damage on the massive barbarian BBEG, they don't want to hear how their attack that dealt over 100 damage was mitigated by luck or enemy skill, they want to hear how the barbarian looks at them slowly with blood gushing out from his throat, while his eyes turn red and he starts grimacing as he enters the biggest rage of his life.

That said in cases like executions or where a PC is dramatically going to their death I would tend to go with the dramatic thing.

XP rather than HP is the disassociated mechanic there , and back in the day you had to spend gold, time and your XP ( however you got it) to train in town in order to level up. People just don't anymore because a lot of the time supposed 'realism' isn't that fun.

That's the advantage of a narrative system. In general combat it can be"skill", but in some cases it could just be that the target's a tough motherfucker.

It'd be amusing to just roll out how many hits it'd take an executioner to kill a high CON PC, though. Reminds me of that one scene in the Night Angel books where an immortal character gets put on a breaking wheel and ends up regenerating their injuries almost (but not quite) as fast as he gets them.

The disadvantage of a narrative based system is that it's massively biased and requires your GM and players to be imaginative and confident. Without a strict rule structure it's easy to get pulled into pedantic arguments until the game looks more like "who would win in a fight, Superman or Mighty Mouse " than epic fantasy.

the shortcomings of D&D in one succinct post

That's just the player being an idiot, not a shortcoming. D&D has plenty of flaws, but that isn't really one of them.

Yes, D&D allow it (and everything else) since the DM can fiat anything.

>Hit points are a valid simulationist mechanic, rather than narrative mechanic,
Ahahaha, D&D's hitpoints are a gamist mechanic. They are terrible at simulating (mythic) reality, if anything they serve a narrative purpose (keeping PC's alive throughout a campaign), given the HP bloat.

No, D&D's HP stand for character growth, progress. D&D is all about character improvement via attribute/skill increases, new feats, new magic items, new spells. HP are one stat but the purpse is clearly gamist first and foremost.

>>Real executions

I think you touch on a point here that is always missed in these discussions. There's no good, universal definition for realism and a lot of what people think is how things realistically work is ironically sourced from fiction.

Likewise reality doesn't often behave very realistically. Is it realistic for a little girl to survive being shot in the head ? Not really but tell that to Malala. Weird stuff like that happens every single day.

So trying to argue x mechanic doesn't make sense because it's unrealistic is a messy slippery slope. There's probably better questions like ' Does it make the game fun?' 'Does it provide interesting choices to the player' 'Is the mechanic intuitive to the players in the game?'

Reminder that hitpoints aren't meatpoints

>I guess the real question is, can you one hit kill?

No. The real question is, why would you want to kill your fellow party members?

>end of the day there's no rule for hit locations

Veeky Forums is fucking stupid. None of you even actually play D&D, do you?

No, it is a flaw. D&D's damage system does not model having your throat slit, which is a repeat occurence in fantasy narratives. See the OP.

Yes, as a GM, you can fall back to rulings and just decide that the character is dead. But the point of mechanics is that the GM does not have to decide it.. the mechanics and dice decide if the victim survives by freak luck.

Rulings are not a sufficient equivalent to rules in cases like this.

Well that's kind of the point. High level characters in D&D (5+ onwards) are not meant to be average joes who can swing a sword a bit faster but superhuman heroes, who eventually rise to demigod levels of power hence why being shot by a bunch of arrows doesn't phase them. Because it wouldn't phase Hercules either.

>who can swing a sword a bit faster but superhuman heroes
Unfortunately this happens just with spellcasters, martials are stuck with swinging the sword just a bit faster

Butit does model it with Coup De Grace, sneak attacks , surprise rounds and called shots ?

The only game that does the model well is Rolemaster.

When was the last time you saw Rolemaster mentioned on this entire board?

Um, that translates into a high level fighter being able to run into an entire army and take them out by himself. Hardly weak.

I have to say, it gets even sillier when you throw spells in.
>Cast Spirit Guardians
>8 Kobolds try and get to me before the rest just fuck off forever because spells

No, the spellcaster gains amazing feats of arcane might, while the fighter gains amazing feats of martial might.

The caster-martial imbalance is as almost much a problem of DM narration as it is of mechanics.

>>Be a dnd fag
>> find rolemaster group
>> roll a noble wizard with 10gp a month allowance
>> pay for drinks in an inn with a gold piece.
>>innkeeper looks at the gold in shock, looks back at me , looks back at the gold.
>> can't give me change
>> I let him keep it. Most money he's ever had in his life

The problem is that feats of martial might just ain't that amazing. Besides, a high level wizard isn't a weakling either thanks to the HP bloat. He can perfectly well fistfight regular joes and come up winning every time even without his magic.
But that isn't true, user. The fighter has little area control options, and is going to run out of HP eventually.

Watched my high level party piss off a village of halfling dirtfarmers. I went to the inn, kept my head down and had some beer.

When 37 7th level halflings attack 4 18th level characters, you expect a slaughter on the side of the halflings.

Not in rolemaster.

I had to wait two days for them to reroll and build new 17th level characters (penalty for dying per agreed upon rules at the start of the campaign) because I wasn't paying to raise any of their stupid asses. I let the halflings keep all their loot too. Do not piss off people who do B level crits with slingshots in large numbers.

All quite imperfect/inaccurate.

I did, just yesterday. Rolemaster doesn't model it too well either because you do not pick the Crit with the right hit location. Don't know more recent off-springs of Rolemaster though.

Pretty standard tbqh senpai desu.

It would be extremely painful.

He won't run out of HP because the soldiers can't even hit him. Meanwhile he's killing at least 5 every turn which means he kills an army of 10,000 men in roughly 3-4 hours.

Fighters are godly at high levels in any real world terms. They just don't stack up in your opinion against other classes at high levels who are equally godly in their own fields.

>Do not piss off people who do B level crits with slingshots in large numbers.

Almost ANY Crit is scary in RM, much less a B Krush.

>He won't run out of HP because the soldiers can't even hit him.
If you think you're painting D&D in a positive light, you're doing it wrong.

>can you one hit kill?
Yes if you
> deal massive damage all at once
Otherwise - no. You either deal "damage > hp" or fail. Heroic fantasy, bitch.

A throat stab is massive damage. It should only happen if the attack lowers HP to 0.

>There's a bunch of save or die spells that you could cast at your party members

This. This is the main way you can do what you want in 3.5.

If you sneak up on some nameless grunt and roll well on stealth I would most likely just call him dead.

>in heroic fantasy stories, a protagonist's throat never gets slit
cool system, bro

Technically 1 out of every 20 or so shots will hit and potentially do damage.

Lots of bowmen would work.

Depends on the edition. Generally, you want to look at the Sneak Attack feature of the Rogue.

3.5? Sure, if you're lucky with those d6s. More likely at certain levels.

4e? Not likely in paragon tier. More likely in epic (insane damage) and low heroic (low hp). Less likely overall than in other editions.

5e? Possible with a sneak attack, sure - and more likely on a crit. Assassinate (level 3) grants autocrit against a surprised creature.

I'm not trying to paint the system positively or negatively. I'm saying that the system is designed to model character power levels that range from Peasant, to soldier, to superhero, to demigod to god and when you look at the game in this context all the complaints that things like HP are unrealistic stop making any sense because at the point your character can shrug off sword blows he's Beowulf or Achilles. Meanwhile a good sword blow or two can easily kill low level characters and NPC's who are still within the normal human range.

Players just tend to skip the lower levels as they're 'boring' jump to the high powered stuff and then somehow complain it doesn't make sense as their characters are too strong.

If people don't like a system like this that's fine but they should at least be aware of it before they start trying to criticise it which doesn't seem to be the case at all.

>Players just tend to skip the lower levels as they're 'boring' jump to the high powered stuff and then somehow complain it doesn't make sense as their characters are too strong.

And you think this isn't fault of the system?

In the same way it's a flaw in GURPS that you can play anything from ordinary people to superheroes depending on how many points the characters are made with.

You're a big guy.

No it's how the system is designed. If you don't enjoy a system that models a range of different power levels don't play D&D.

I mean you can't create high level characters and complain they're too strong as being stabbed doesn't matter much to them but refuse to play low level characters because they are weak and die too easily when you stab them, it doesn't make any sense.

Party members shouldn't die.
When I DM, I aim to make them fight creatures that can kill them, so they barely win.
It makes better stories and people feel that they achieved something.
Killing a party member is usually something that springs out of personal relationships that have nothing to do with the game. And I don't play with people who would do that.

I would probably handle it like any other combat situation. I would treat it like a sneak attack from a rouge and let the party figure out how to solve the situation.
It is very likely that a fight would ensue and the attacker gets killed and won't get to play with the group anymore.
If it is the party's only healer, then two might die.

>Party members shouldn't die.
You shouldnt aim to kill party members, but if they just cant die then there's no point to even having combat; it's not a game if you cant lose.

Eh, there's a lot of possible stakes and failure states in combat beyond death. I haven't killed a party member in years, and people have fun with the combat anyway.

Hell, I actually play with a house rule where PCs aren't killed unless finished off. The normal killed state is just unconscious and dying, and the enemy has to come and specifically coup the grace them on the ground before they actually die. I made this rule specifically so death would only really happen in case of TPK, because nobody is going to stop to shoot a guy on the ground point blank while the rest of his mates are shooting at him.

This is because I grew annoyed at the revolving door of characters that people progressively gave less of a shit for in campaigns I was a player in. Either everyone dies and we restart a full party, or nobody dies and character relationships and development remains.

They can die, but I want them to lose because they make bad decisions, not because I sent them up against something unbeatable.
It is like comic books. You don't want to watch a superhero beat his way though without encountering resistance and you don't want the superhero to die.
If he dies, the story is over.
And you send different villains against batman as you would send towards daredevil.

Not true. A non-shit army is more than capable of taking out a max-level fighter if they're being commanded competently.

A cannon deals 6d8 damage and is basically a mundane version of the wizard, the fighter's arch nemesis when it comes to being one-upped. Hit him enough times with cannonballs, and he's down for the count, regardless if the person operating said cannon is a 1d3 commoner who just so happened to specialize in cannonry. Sure he might take out half the regiment, but you can crank out fools with metal tubes far easier than you can replace that fighter - evidently, fighters were never meant to operate alone; back in chainmail, their origins were as the officers to the masses of infantry you controlled on the field, and fighters work best as a walking command point who is able to direct things from the front lines without risk of being one-shotted.

A fighter is at their strongest when they are using their skills to lead and defend an army and have combined arms at their disposal to answer to the wizard's spell respiratory.

The fighter can still take multiple hits with a freaking cannonball before he falls which kinda proves my point about him being superhuman at higher levels.

Um , Coup de Grace does exist in 5E as do massive damage rules that mean if you are reduced to your hit point maximum in negative in one hit you just die, you don't even get a con save.

>Does DnD allow you to one hit kill your party member out of nowhere?
Yeah, but it wouldn't be very fun.

>I guess the real question is, can you one hit kill?
Yeah, but it isn't very fun.

>Sure if you deal massive damage all at once, but what about very specific and directed weak damage? Like a throat stab?

(assuming 3.x)An archery specced fighter can probably kill 9 or 10 peasants per round with a longer range than the cannons assuming appropriate magical bow.

Except that the Peasant can't hit the fighter with the cannon unless he crits.

Its allows anything, if you're creative enough

>Dryard gives you magic seed that will turn instantly into a giant tree one planted in somewhere solid
>That guy finally got the last of my nerves
>cast hold person
>he makes his save and is about to have an orgasm because he minmaxed for pvp
>oops, cutting words
>"user, what are you doing with that seed? "

I shoved it up his ass, basically.

so, slitting someone's throat and he just taking normal damage is fun? seriously? are games not required to have SOME kind of resemblance to (mythical) reality in order to be fun?

No?

Why would it NEED to model reality in order to have fun?

Yes. It's called a coup-de-grace. It requires your target to have the helpless condition. There are a number of ways to achieve this.
As a fill round action, you automatically hit and cause a critical hit. If the target survives the damage, they must make a fortitude save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or die. Rogues do get sneak attack on this attack.

Frenzied berserker . One round and done if they are not ready

You are an idiot.

The system does a good job of giving it rules, but at higher levels, that grizzled warrior is so aware of everything around him, and can pull on his almost inhuman strength and vitality, to the point where you will never actually be able to cleanly "slit his throat" unless he is completely exhausted after wrestling an entire army by himself.

That is what epic fantasy is about. It is not a realistic system, and if you think it is, you are an idiot.

I hate d&d, but this is not the reason. This is just you being a dumb moron.

No.

D&D is a system where the class with the least HP (wizard, Xd4/level) can survive a ballista shot (3d8) to the chest after about 5 levels, especially if he invested at least 12-14 CON.

The only way a dude is dying from a knife to the throat is if you're dealing with creatures that would probably die to a 2H Fighter's attack anyways.

You need to realize Veeky Forums is people roleplaying being roleplayers.

Oh boy, here we go.

Listen, if a sword wound to the anywhere was as devastating in D&D as it usually is in most other systems, combat wouldn't be such a slog if you decided to play a martial.