CYOA General: Let's Try and actually play cyoas edition

Last Thread: Resources: pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos
m.youtube.com/watch?v=At7QfCCK3tQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Can someone please post the Sartre CYOA? Please?? I asked in the previous threads but no one responded ;_;

I'm afraid not.
B.

f

user wanted me to start a shitstorm about pdf cyoas in the new thread, so here:
>starting a thread with a pdf

Not a shitstorm, just a calm, rational discussion over the possible merit of pdf cyoas.

Wow, what a coincidence, I was thinking about saying the same thing about starting a thread with a shitty wall of text PDF

>merit
HAHAHA

It's bad as an opener as the thumbnail is a white background with black text. It's ugly, and you won't know what the thread is about without looking at the title.

>not submitting to the pdf lords
>not enjoying a well-written CYOA
>not using your imagination to the fullest without the baggage of pictures

>7 sins/virtues
No thank you.

Fair enough, but is it not true that some cyoas do well as pdfs, such as travelers tale and pic related?

It's not the same as the others that have been getting a lot of attention lately, if that's your problem.

Every CYOA would do better in image format. The only strength PDFs have is you want a wall of text, and CYOAs aren't really appropriate for that sort of thing.

not sure how i feel about pdfs
well they're easier to post at least

Damn, I forgot I made this thing. Does anyone want an image version? I just need to add a little more lore and a few pretty pictures here and there.

I like that one pdf.
I haven't read Traveler and I won't ever, so I have no idea if the pdf is better than the image version.
I don't bother looking at pdf's: If you don't care enough about your work to present it in an aesthetic way, why should I care about it?

I didn't bother with that one until he made it into images.

Is there any stigma to posting multi-page cyoas as a link to imgur album or something like dropbox?

acheld didn't make it into images, some other user did
did you play it then? I feel like not a lot of people did

You could always post it as a pdf.

C.

Lust / Charity. I can earn half a year's life in one night. And I can share that with others.

I'm going to become a love messiah. I'll abandon worldly belongings and just walk the land, and in each town I come to there'll be a party. People will have a great time. People will love each other. People will feel revitalised and energetic and fresh. I'll rack up an outlandish amount of spare lifespan and I can bestow it upon anybody I choose.

You come to my play party, you make me happy, you just might walk away ten years younger.

Naw, I just take a pass on the whole concept.
It's just not for me.

I'll take an A.

Yes, I only played it once someone made it into pictures.

jpg version just to see the difference

>I like that one pdf.
>I don't bother looking at pdf's

in 4 parts

>Rules cannot have exceptions
Why do you think I stopped reading pdf's? They're almost always shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

Oh god please /cyoag/ save me from the quantum effects in semiconductors, please, I can't go on anymore, it's just an elementary course!

>EVIL CYOA
>not shit

The ride never ends.

Use plebs, you pleb.

B

Sloth and Temperance. The immortality powers aren't so great, but the combo effect is GOAT. You might want to put some limits on it, because as written I can do things like come up with the most efficient way to get humanity into space.

D
Also, Sartre says that you can have any CYOA that you imagine, so you don't really need it.

Well, some people seems to despise pdf and I was trying to figure out an alternative.

>Use plebs
??

>Limits.
In that case, the image version will take a little while longer.

Those people are phoneposters. Phoneposters don't matter.
>??
How new.

>still no comfy apocalypse cyoa

I'd make it myself but I'm awfully comfy here.

I despise PDFs and I've never been here with a phone.

That's exactly what a phoneposter would say.

F

A

A man dears to dream!

I'd be happy with just more lore. I think it's fine as a PDF.

Are shitstorms actually enjoyable? I ask because even though this thread has quite a few of them, I still come back for more.

>Are shitstorms actually enjoyable?
It requires a certain degree of cynicism, but yeah, they can be.

>Study Class
>Giving you 2 extra points a year in time saving

Does this mean I get an extra two points in the year I take it, or not?

I'm ok with pdfs, and I often use a six year old phone.
They're easier to scroll through than multiple bloated jpgs.

>House
House Obcultus (Free Magic or Science Class)

>Year One
Basic Summoning
Basic Psionics
Basic Worldwalking
Basic Arcane Study
Basic Technomancy
Basic Quantum Physics
Basic Programming & AI

>Year Two
Intermediate Summoning
Intermediate Psionics
Intermediate Worldwalking
Intermediate Arcane Study
Intermediate Technomancy
Intermediate Quantum Physics
Intermediate Programming & AI

>Year Three
Adept Summoning
Adept Psionics
Adept Worldwalking
Adept Arcane Study
Adept Technomancy
Adept Quantum Physics
Adept Programming & AI

>Year Four
Master Summoning
Master Psionics
Master Worldwalking
Master Arcane Study
Master Technomancy
Master Quantum Physics
Master Programming & AI

>Extracurricular Club
Occult Club

I have one true goal: Ascension.
I'll be learning everything I can, using my Psionics to spy on other classes, either ask or mind control people into giving me copies of their notes, maybe even using Arcane Study to create time travel magic that'll let me travel back and learn more. I'll explore world after world, summon being after being, comb through grimoires and research files, trying to gain as many relevant secrets as I can find.

Once I'm ready, I'll use my Masteries to try and turn myself into an transcendent AI capable of calling forth great beings.
I'm gonna become the Magitech Singularity.

Okay. I'll still make it into an image eventually.

Am I being illiterate or this cyoa mechanic is a bit unclear?

Rolled 2 (1d2)

Build 1
Pre Agriculture, Africa

Points (120)
Mysterious Stranger (120)
Genius 2 (114)
Memory of the Ages (107)
Polyglot (103)
Gift of Gab (97)
Economist (92)
Map Maker (87)
Strength and Speed 1 (83)
Reflex and Reaction 0 (83)
Impervious 4 (67)
Regeneration 1 (64)
Endurance 2 (56)
Temperature Tolerance 0 (56)
Diet 0 (56)
Sanitary Convenience 2 (48)
Iron Gut (46)
Telepathy Minor (41)
Blessed One Major (31)
Storm Sage Minor (26)
Firedancer Major (16)
Book of Culture (11)
Book of Knowledge (6)
Bag of Holding (1)

Quests
God Emperor
Free and Sustainable
Build 2
Race: Human

Paths
Power
Life
Self

Year 1: BTM, Study Class, The Drunks
Year 2: Healing, Empowerment, Demonology, Bardism, Achillies
Year 3: Summoning, Immortality, Achillies
Year 4: Shapeshifting, Achillies, Merlin
Year 5: Chaos Magic, Achillies.

Time to roll. 1 for build 1, 2 for build 2. I sure hope I got it right.

I just finished this one. Sort of a tribute to the old Island genre.

No, it's definitely plenty unclear.

Well, I'm an immortal wizard against a guy with far more power than I. My best bet would be to summon a few demons to prevent him from achieving immortality.

Starting Location and Era: Pre-Agriculture, Babylon

Appearance: Idealized version of myself. Doesn't really matter.

Role: 1 Percenter (239)

Mental Upgrades:
Genius 3 (229)
Memory 2 (222)
Wellspring of Harmony (217)
Polyglot (212)
Gift of Gab (207)
Commander (202)
Economist (197)
Artistic Prodigy (192)
Map Maker (187)
SEP Field (182)

Body Upgrades:
Strength and Speed 3 (160)
Reflexes and Reactions 2 (152)
Impervious 3 (140)
Pain Control (138)
Non-Reactor (136)
Regeneration 2 (130)
Super Senses 2 (126)
Temperature Tolerance 1 (123)
Diet 1 (120)
Iron Gut (118)
Flight Level 2 (113)
Mage Eye (111)
Major Divination (101)
Major Blessed One + Imbue Minor (86)
Major Spirit Singer + Imbue Minor (71)
Major Earthdancer + Imbue Minor (56)
Major Shapeshifting (46)
Major Binding + Imbue Minor (31)
Minor Enchanting + Imbue (21)

Inheritable: Super Senses, Strength and Speed, Reflexes and Reaction, Impervious, Genius (-2)

Wanderer's Journal (-5)
Book of Knowledge (-10)
Bag of Holding (-15)

Temporally Lost (0)

Quests:
Sorcerer Supreme, Free and Sustainable

My first goal will be Sorcerer Supreme, and my second will be Free and Sustainable. With my tremendous intellect and magical power, I plan to create a world where most modern technology functions via magic - buildings constructed by Earthsinging, industries powered by friendly spirits supplicated by the people around them, and so on.

I think it's fine, but I remember it tripped up a few people. It's pretty similar to the eventide academy actually and was probably an inspiration. I remember that the CYOA also had a few amusing surprises in it if you read between the lines.

those were the best. let me have a read. no base choices at all?

I shall work de magic by giving the next cyoa the power of meta A

m.youtube.com/watch?v=At7QfCCK3tQ

Glad to hear that.
So what I understand from it is that as a human I get 10 points per year to spend on classes. So for example if I choose Life path I could in the first year attend BTM (4), Healing (6) and pay 2 points (8) to attend a class from another path, like Demonology (10). Is it correct?

Female Sidhinge

Dual Major(Life/Light)

Year 1: BTM, Study Class, Telekinesis
Year 2: Empowerment, Healing, Achilles, The Drunks
Year 3: Elementalism, Achilles, The Drunks
Year 4: Sorcery, Achilles
Year 5: Extra Course(Bardism), Achilles, The Drunks

I think being part of Achilles for 3 years running counts for getting the 5th year from 'Prominent Role in the Club Community'

I think there is plenty of room for those who know how to heal as much as they know how to fight and being a bit glib never hurts there either. Going to try for some of the Light-based jobs as I've always liked the idea of Knights in Shining Armour and there is plenty of need for stopping evil about.

I'm too tired to understand things that aren't painfully explicit, which options are amusing?

Been a while since I saw this one. Is it a good one?

Correct. You could also, if you think you can fit it in (As a human, you really can. Only Dragons can't manage it.) take two paths and not pay the surcharge on them.

Gemini ring: two extra pairs of hands sounds very useful.

Yushiro: Let's blow shit up.

The birds: for spying.

The Factory: so we have a few days to get there and blow it up before it makes anything, works for me.

>1)Fighting type doesn't resist Normal, so it would be 1/2 effective.
Going by the games, you're right. However, going by Pokemon Personified, it states that if "you are hit by moves that you are strong against the damage is halved". That means Fighting-type receives half damage from Normal-type attacks.

>2)I don't think the previous hero would have Simple Beam if he had the same chance to choose his build. To make him be able to hurt you, you could
3)Give him Mold Breaker. I would also recommend giving him a typing that hits you and you hit for neutral damage. To make the duel as fair it can be. Just making a Dark type is an option.
There is a problem with giving him Mold Breaker, Achilles' strategy is to get rid of an opponent's ability so he or she doesn't have any sort of advantage against him. This means Alexander will not have his Mold Breaker ability by the end of the first round. To circumvent this, I would need to give him Simple Beam, make him Dark-type, or both.

>Would you post it here or somewhere else? I'd like to read if do write something, even if it's just snippets.
Would the other Anons be fine with me posting what is essentially a fan fiction of a CYOA?

>Yeah, I'll probably replace recover with Flamethrower or Dragon Pulse. Sleep-inducing are far too dangerous for me to replace Safeguard.
Go with Flamethrower since you'll have a chance to induce Burn and it has 24 PP.

>Okay, i'll wait for it.
I hope you don't mind waiting for a while.

IIRC one of them was something about dragons and druids being politicians, but there's other stuff like that

Thanks but you got me a little confused: I thought the Dragons were the only one that can attend multiple paths without paying the Extra Classes ("costs 2 points, free for Draconis")?

Do you think an Island cyoa should have bases? I feel like you should be constantly on the run.

Neat, will make a build later.

>Magitech Singularity

I love off-the-wall builds like this.

My instinct was just to make Generic Protagonist #529.

Nah, you are mixing up Paths and Classes.

Think of Paths like Degrees. You can double(or even triple) degree if you can fit it in, timewise.

So with I went with two Paths (Life/Light) but had to pay the extra for Bardism as I wanted it but couldn't fit Nature as a third Degree and Bardism isn't in Life or Light.

Since dragons only get 4/year they get Extra Classes for free to let them cherry pick for free as they'll never be able to afford a full double degree. The costs you pay to be a flying scaly tank.

Sidhinge female

Life + Light curriculums

Year 1: BTM, Healing, Empowerment
Year 2: Extra course (Shapeshifting), Telekinesis
Year 3: Immortality, Elementalism
Year 4: Sorcery, The drunks

Basically everything I'd really want, with the most important things first and the least important ones down the line. The first three years would be tough but last year would be a lot easier, I don't think I'd be taking the drunks club very seriously. I considered taking a club, but it would only be worth it if I really put effort into it and became prominent in it, and even with something like the drunks or the dual string that would be a lot of effort for no extra free time since I'd get the exact same amount of points to spend on courses, just staggered over an extra year.

This isn't a 38 page PDF. You're behind the times man.

Can a Sprite use Enchanting to put themselves into an artificial body?

I think I got it: I choose as many paths I can fit in the start and I can only (and must) pick classes required by these paths. If there's leftover points but not enough to get another path, I can pay Extra Classes to pick a class from another path.

It sounds like "spirits" and "spirites" are two different kinds of things. So maybe, if you learn chaos magic as well?

Pretty much.

If you pick a path, you MUST do everything in that path or your build isn't valid. Extra classes lets you cherry pick some stuff without the full investment of a path.

I know it was the style in the olden days, but having to scroll horizontally is very annoying. Why didn't you make it vertical? It would be a lot easier to go through plus you wouldn't need that wasted space in the bottom left. Horizontal is inferior in every way.
Images look better when they are all the same size and shape.
All in all, it is well-written but the Nemesis options are too powerful for the items on offer.

Ok, thanks for explaining it.

>Knife of Nimrod
>Chloe
>Stone Guardians
>Venator

Survival is the top priority. I can stay at the Guardian's sacred place to keep the monsters away. Chloe is moral support to keep me sane, while Venator seems like the least ridiculous nemesis.

I'll agree with that the nemeses are too strong compared to the tools you have to defeat them. Many of them seem impossible to stop (Agency, Fog, Actress)

>Item
Mechanical Fetcher
>Companion
Serena
>Alliance
The Birds
>Nemesis
Creeping Fog

Use mechanical fetcher to summon valuable items like gold. Use Serena's knowledge to negotiate with tribes using said gold. Use gold for paying The Birds. Use Birds to give advanced warning of fog, so I can either move inland or build shelter.

The human tribes have just as much interest in destroying the Creeping Fog as I do, so hopefully they're slightly amicable to me. Plus Mechanical Fetcher is extremely useful in other ways considering modern (or advanced?) technology exists on the island. "Compass", "Flashlight", "Binoculars", "Flare", "Grenade" - all quite useful. Especially when those birds can carry items (flying away carrying a flare as a distraction, dropping grenades on enemies, etc).

What's the deal with all the people getting mad about PDF files? It's just a container format, there's nothing stopping anyone from making image-heavy PDFs.

>Venator
>Least ridiculous

Really? I found him the most ridiculous. He has no obvious weakness or counter. Starts off at full power, is fast, is durable, automatically detects you from a large radius, has advanced ranged weapons.

He's practically unstoppable.

No problem. It's not the best worded, though I rather like it over some much more complex ones.

A new version with better wording and fixing up a few issues (There being basically zero reason NOT to take Study Class, Achilles being very all or nothing if you ever get empowerment) would be nice though.

I think the idea with the actress is you must have s gun next to you when she gets you with the knife and then when the script stops you grab it and shoot her.

The Gemini Ring is also a very good way to deal with her, if the script only works for the first kill.

I am going to go for a career hero build. My two assumptions on this build is that "you can bump it up to five (years) if you play a predominant role in the club community" means I'd have to be in that club every year for all 5 years, and that Achilles states "empowerment is pretty much required" isn't a hard requirement, so I can still spend my freshman year Unempowered on the team.

Majors: Life and Light
Year 1: Achilles (4), BTM (4), 1/2 Study class (2)
Year 2: Achilles (4), 2/2 Study class (2), Telekinesis (2), Empowerment (2)
Year 3: Achilles (4), elementalism (4), healing (2), the strings-singing (2)
Year 4: Achilles (4), Sorcery (6), 1/2 immortal (2)
Year 5: Achilles (4), Gulliviette (6), 2/2 Immortal (2)

My education has given me the full range of offensive and healing magics, along with maxed muscle wizard strength (double strength per year in Achilles, meaning either 10x if multiplicative or 32x if exponential), plus actual in-the-field experience from Gulliviette plus the associated survival skills. I also have 5 years of networking in the hero community, and my singing ability makes me fun around a campfire with my fellow adventurers while raising everyone's spirits.

Here I come, multiverse!

Study Class is 4, not 2.

Looking at the picture, I assumed you could kill him by attacking his head (since that's not in the suit).
The Agency never stops coming for you and appears to have an infinite supply of agents, meaning you could never stop fighting them. The King of Worms seems impossible to actually kill as he'll always just split and reform. You'd lose as soon as the Veiled Horror gets close to you since he can incapacitate you. The fog can't be killed or damaged in any way, same goes for the Factory and the Law. The Actress seems omnipotent as you can't do anything to stop or counteract her up to the moment before your death.

I'll take a really difficult opponent over an omnipotent one any day.

The Agency isn't that bad if you have spider, just shoot them in the head until they run out of men to send.