Are all fae evil and untrustworthy? Can you trust some of them?

Are all fae evil and untrustworthy? Can you trust some of them?

They're not all evil, but they're all untrustworthy. It's not really their fault; it's just that by any human standard, they're all insane.

There's seelie and unseelie fey.

Depends on the setting.

People on Veeky Forums often seem to assume they are all evil though. Get real pissy at the idea of TN arcfey.

They're either a bunch of morons who are too good for their own good, scheming tricksters, or scheming tricksters pretending to be morons until after you've fallen into their scheme. You can't take chances hoping that they're #1 when they're more likely to be #3.

>they're all insane
See.

I prefer "they have unusual motives" but if you know their motives everything works great.

>Trusting any supernatural being
Don't make the same mistake I did, Veeky Forums.

That cig is gonna fuck that fairy up.

Depends on setting.

Can you marry a fae?

Rolled 8 (1d8)

1) Don't step inside the standing stones up on the mound. Those are the teeth of greedy, sleepy old Grandfather Ogre

2) That cabin out by the woods, the man who lives there loves dogs. He has a dozen or more, feeds them from his own hands. He's raising the pups of the Great Hound deep in the forest, tree-high. He's not a man at all.

3) You'll catch her sometimes if she's quiet, loping along with that awkward gait, watching the birds. When she whistles the men follow her and they never look at her mouth. Her legs alone must be twice their height, but they never mention it. If they come back.

4) Always two of them. Man and woman. Husband and wife maybe, but they always wear the same face too. They love to measure - if you stand still by them they'll measure every part of you, down to the finger-bones. They love smaller things. They'll make things for you if you let them, from the junk they carry, but they always make them too big. They especially love children.

5) Sometimes you see them flit by at night - bright-winged, butterfly-free. At a distance you can mistake the little ones for fireflies. But when you see the broader glow coming over the curve of the hillside you must remember to look away.

6) The whole bottom of the river is covered in shells and they rattle when you cross the bridge. Shellycoat loves distracting travelers and getting them lost - down her gullet, if she's hungry.

7) You find them in churches - abandoned ones - torturing themselves. They've a fascination with the crucifixion. Sometimes they'll come close to a village, inching along on those long fingers and toes, and try to lure out a priest to talk to them.

8) You have to understand is it's not your wife, your husband. The thing gets into the ground and inside of them, makes them move again. It's not hair - how could hair grow that long? You have to cut it out of the corpse. Get that long strand and follow it back to the beast in the earth.

>Are all fae evil and untrustworthy?
No, they are not evil at all. At worst, they might be considered Chaotic Neutral. At best, Lawful Neutral.

Most of them will never lie to you. They will always speak the truth. They are not untrustworthy.

>Can you trust some of them?
You can trust exactly none of them.

Fae aren't all evil, mostly just capricous by our standards but Fae don't really GET people, and people don't really get fae.

It's not impossible to have your life ruined by a fae who genuienly likes you and only wanted to help. It just thought a arguement with your girlfriend was more violent then it was and thus protected you by having her get hit by a car the next day.

>Most of them will never lie to you

Wouldn't smoking a cigarette that comparatively big be impossible?

I might talk to number 2 on that list depending on the temperament of the dogs.

I've seen gifs of crabs smoking, so I don't see why a fairy couldn't.

Are they really smoking, or just going through the motions of what looks like smoking? Either way, the cigarette in the pic is as big as the fairy's leg.

I don't have any handy, but I think I've seen tiny puffs of smoke in some of them. The biggest problem for our fae friend is having the lung capacity to get any smoke all the way through. I guess she's using magic?

6 makes me tingly in my pants.

They won't. They'll never lie. They'll mislead you, trick you, and destroy your life without uttering a single lie.

You cannot trust a fae, but nor are they evil.

Their feelings, motives and emotions are completely incomprehensible to the human mind.

Though most people forget they are called fae for a reason and that they are a fair folk. Do not betray their trust and keep an eye out for the wicked ones.

Fae are bae

But seriously, if you just look at old myths or poems, they aren't necessarily evil. They just have their own motivations and are very tricky, oftentimes saying things that sound good, but if you really think about them might be bad, reminding you of how bad the world is while remaining mute about the good things. Look at Yeat's 'The Stolen Child' for a good example of what I'm thinking of.

Not just motives, but their whole perspective is different. Someone who understands a fairy would likely seem insane to most people. This is why the best game about the fae is Delta Green.

What you are describing are fairies, fae, and fae masquerading as fairies respectively. Though it's easy to confuse one for the other, you very much do not wish to do so: you either end up punishing a fairy by accident, or getting caught in machinations of a seelie with a deadly facade.

Of course, that the fairies are more agreeable than other types of fae is mostly through random luck - they're just close enough to being human that it's possible to predict their actions with some certainty, but never forget that they're not, as they're just as liable to forget that you aren't a fairy.

8 sounds like typical nematode shenanigans.

>the three variations you described are [three words with the same meaning]
Get your head out of your ass, this is dumber than the wyvern arguments.

What wyvern arguments?

Some people argued that Smaug in the movie must be a wyvern, and therefore not a dragon, because he's depicted with wings and rear legs rather than four legs as well as limbs, and applied stupid categorical definitions that stem only from D&D to larger areas of fantasy. This case is dumber than that, because at least those definitions exist in some form.

The differences between dragons, wyverns, and drakes. Nevermind that it would vary as much by culture as anything else and no one likely bothered to try and define them until recently, but people will argue about the number of legs and kind of wings and all that.

Huh. I actually did think wyverns were legs + wings and dragons were arms + legs + wings. Probably from playing WHFB.

There is a niche basis for the distinction in the context of heraldry, but in that case the more important question is whether or not the tail is barbed.

Intentionally twisting words with the intended affect of misleading someone can still be considered a lie, user. Fae are also prone to lies of omission.

Feys aren't all evil.
They just follow "unusual" or even outright mad or non-sense logic.
So, all feys are untrustworthy: it takes some deep knowledge (that you can never be too sure you know 'till the end) of how they think, to understand if they are reliable or not.
Good fairies, might decide to set on fire an orphanage during winter because they thought that the orphans were feeling cold, and the fastest way to get them close to a warm fire was to burn down the whole building. And they would see nothing wrong with that plan.

You could, but that "Till death do us part" will be a as legally binding as a devil's contract.

The dangerous part comes when the fae isn't twisting anything; their thought process is just that warped from the start.

From their perspective, fucking with mortals is just like saying completely innocuous things to the strung-out hobo down by the rail yard and laughing while you watch him take completely the wrong meaning from it and get all worked up.

That just means you can't divorce them... right? Unless, that is, they grant you immortality so they can be with you for an eternity. But even then, hey, free immortality.

That only matters if you assign some moral significance to honest and clear communication or to how your words affect others. To evil jackasses looking for something to be smug about, it's enough that they can call their words "true" in some literal or metaphorical sense, even if their self-praise only makes sense to them.

My general stance has been that not all fae are evil. Hell, probably most of them aren't, because by and large they don't have morals in the same way humans do.

You might be able to trust some of them, but there is no such thing as a SAFE fae.

You are well within your rights to trust fae.

It is simply not suggested for a full and healthy life.

They are trustworthy, in their own way. But that is not a human's way.

You can marry a fae. It is suggested that you gird your heart for tragedy and be ready to forgive, just in case.

You might even be one of the lucky ones and be deliriously happy for ever after.

Bored now! *stab stab stab*

Depends on your gm

Darling please stop stabbing your vagina with my dick and let me do the motions, ok? You shouldn't be THAT cock hungry for another few hours after the last mating session.

>They'll never lie to you

You seem to be saying this is a positive character trait inherent to Fey, it's just a rule they have to follow like anvils obey gravity.

Just because someone isn't lying to you doesn't mean they're being honest.

Oh. That nonsense is game-setting based. Or whatever mythology you're working within at the time. You can't cross campaigns with that shit.

>and Smaug was a worm

>Wyrm
Which is completely different from "Worm"

I recognize where that's from.

My grandfather always said don't trust anything you can't stick your dick in without killin'.

And "wurm".

Around an elf watch yourself
Humans and Fae is not OK

This is like my only phobia.

So, no.

...why yes, I am a 250 pound man scared of fairies. I like them in campaigns because you don't know what they might do.

A man afraid of fairies is a wise man.

Ha, nerd.

>Are all fae evil and untrustworthy.
Some are definitely malevolent, others are not. As to trust, you could trust one to follow the letter of their word and absolutely nothing else. Don't make promises to them that you can't keep, don't enter into deals with them because they'll inevitably find some way to fuck you over, don't promise one an unspecified favor because you might end up having to do something you really won't want to do.

Ultimately, I think it depends on whether or not you can remain the most entertaining show in town or not. Same theory as human women, only marry ones less crazy than you are. Bar is just higher.

Let's say you are a housewife who sets up a bowl of milk for brownies to protect her hearth. You have to remodel and find an out-of place bird's nest in your wall that might be where they sleep. Do you a: go ahead and remodel, kindly leaving the birds nest aside a double portion of milk b: halt the remodel, replace the wall as it was to the best of your ability, double milk c: consult a priest, carry cold iron?

Who knows man. Fucking faeries.

The vast majority of fae are pretty boring and normal ordinary people. However, they couldn't give a rats ass about humans and don't actually interact with them. The end result is that the only fae you'll ever see are the bored kids in their 100s that are out to cause mischief.

This

Are all humans evil and untrustworthy? Can you trust some of them?

If you can't trust them to be evil, you can't trust them at all.

Humans are seriously never to be trusted, they act like your friend but then might eat your neighbor or take your moon sugar.

Then they will claim it's an "accident", they didn't know better, they didn't think to ask, ect.

I'm on to your games humans!

>I'm on to your games humans!
No you aren't. If you were, you wouldn't end up begging us to give your sugar (or clothes) back after every game of dice.
A free piece of advice Khajiit: drink after the game, not before it.

>take your moon sugar
Khajiit are ruining the country.

Actually you can trust the fey implicitly to hold to any oath they swear, and to act consistently according to their logic.

Is just that their logic is convoluted and makes no sense at all to us.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they ARE Trustworthy, but you shouldn't trust them because the assumptions you base your trust on will be incorrect.

Some of us aren't so rude as to not pay attention to the words of others, user.

Maybe you just are used to putting meaning into others words to justify your own poor choices and excuse yourself of blame.

I would mind giving a cute Khajiit something of equal value for her moon sugar.

Depends on how you define "trust" OP.

Trust them to be Chaotic? Fuck yeah they're all about chaos.

What you have to look for are those that like to make chaos in your favor, not the ones that make chaos against you.

The fae have weird ways of working with folk.

The little ones are pretty trust worthy if you give them 12 deep dish first, they seem to prefer pepperoni.

I like my fairies totally inimical to human comprehension, happiness and life.

Otherwise they're just sparkly people for lamewads to waifu.

Being taken by fairies should be an experience more akin to being abducted by aliens than anything else.

Imagine being a Chimpanzee taken from it's natural habitat and forced to perform circus tricks it doesn't really understand to an audience of laughing alien masques, and if you try to rebel you are punished in incomprehensible and terrifying ways to ensure you are sufficiently cowed.

You aren't fed the right food or given the right environment to live in, your days oscillate between boredom, terror and stark incomprehension as you are involuntarily shuttled from one painful, humiliating, seemingly nonsensical or literally imperceptible event to another as the equivalent of the slowly dying goldfish in a gogo-dancer's boot

That is what it should be like to be taken by fairies.

Impossible! NOTHING is as valuable as Da'Harji's Moon Sugar! I know the games you play, Imperial!

I'm more surprised she got the shit started. I've seen chicks struggle with pressing and holding single action lighters long enough to properly light let alone a fairy with literal twigs for arms.

>mushishi plots

Always liked mushishi's creatures as a take on fae. Literally otherworldly, entirely different definition of moralities, set goals, can be entirely understood with proper knowledge, and even harnessed for various uses by experts.

Mushishi were more like animals though. It was more like working with a side of nature no one else really properly understood than a person with consciousness.

But they legit had mushishi with conciousness and clear and defined goals. They even had a coucil meeting.
It's the one where the grandma got split between physical body and soul body entities.

Wasn't there also that slime mushishi that mimics humans? I'm pretty sure that one even talked to Ginko and he ends up carrying it around in a small sealed bottle.

ADULT ATTACK

Yep. About half had at least semi sentient thoughts at the very least.

Word of advice: watch out for particularly pale humans with pointy teeth. They're not the same thing as normal humans and they'll try to drink your blood.

All white humans with healthy canines you mean?

Well never trust white humans as a rule of thumb but the extra pointy ones are grounds for immediately lethal actions.

My what? What's a blood? Is it shiny?

Did you not just hear what I said? It's the thing inside of you that pale humans eat!

It's terrible. You don't want it. Basically, once you get it you need to keep it with you at all times and if you lose enough of it you die.
Also it's pretty unshiny and is like liquid rust and hurts you're tummy if ingested.

7) is called a church-grim

my name is user and I say kill em all
I am trash man
World is a fuck

Trust het, they said.

I don't think it fits the physical description but that's a good idea.

You should know only to trust /u/

>trusting a literal shithole that has to shove its literal shit into anything it takes a small bit of interest in
Yeah, no. Go die in some dark hole full of broken beer bottles and aids needles or something.

who the fuck said that?

It was a joke based on the 'het' typo m8. Calm down.

Not until we eliminate all hand-holders and /u/ browsers. Just burn em all and cleanse the world of such scum.

I used to think they were all autistic fuckers fundamentally incapable of being civil with humans in a meaningful level. But recently a bit of new content for 13th Age reminded me that fairy godmothers exist, so there are some diamonds in the rough.

Then there would be only /y/ left. I support your plan!

Fairy godmothers and children-cursing witches both are just another aspect of the highly diversified fate-stealing industry that keeps fae alive.

So, fae are godless (their gods are literally just larger, older or more powerful fae they worship in imitation), they don't have souls, their world is not our world (it is not merely perceived different, the world really is different for fae). By all normal processes they should simply fade away in time, cease to exist.

They don't. Because they steal the natural fates and destinies of natural creatures. Fae take children, right? And they replace them with a changeling maybe, who imitates the child. In doing so they have taken that child's destined life, and it's that which sustains them. The changeling is nothing - one child's destiny can sustain thousands and thousands of fae (who tend to have either very long or very short lifespans).

Fairy godmothers are just a less dramatic instance of the same thing. By 'adjusting' the child's fate a portion of their destiny is sealed off, for the fae to feed upon.

/y/ will be offered a chance at redemption and rehabilitation as its a legitimate mental illness and can be cured with proper treatment. /u/ gets the slash and burn as it is a malignant cancer of the soul and only fire may purge its like from the world. Handholding is just plain wrong according to nature which is why paws and flippers rule. Evolution didn't trust us with hand just so we could go sticking them in other peoples hands willy nilly like degenerates.

>Fae live off interactions and changing lives.
That's different.

no he wasn't, a wyrm in tolkien's universe is a wingless dragon.