Listed among the "Recommended Equipment" at the beginning of OD&D Vol. 1 (1974):

Listed among the "Recommended Equipment" at the beginning of OD&D Vol. 1 (1974):

>Dice — the following different kinds of dice are available from TSR
>1 pair 4-sided dice
>1 pair 8-sided dice
>4 to 20 pairs 6-sided dice
>1 pair 20-sided dice
>1 pair 12-sided dice

My kit (for playing OSR) is pic related. Veeky ForumsMs, what dice do you use? (And Dice Thread, obvs.)

>that segregation by color
>those safety d4s
pretty sexy user

Why did they use fancy dice instead of going all d6?

Fancy dice became available, and it let them do stuff that's hard with a d6. 15% probability increment are pretty chunky, and it's more fun to roll a d8 than a d6+1, or a d6+2 for a d10, even if they average out the same in the long run.

>it's more fun to roll
That's some of the dumbest shit I ever read, I think.

Yeah, it's suuuuper dumb and irrational, but it's also true. Same reason why physical dice are more fun than a dice roller app, it's something deep down in our primate brains that just likes the tactile feel.
You can't tell me you don't notice it.

A variety of reasons
>something else to sell/makes a good loss leader in boxed sets
>funky dice are fun
>simple way to vary up your RNG
>seemed like a good idea at the time

It always amuses me to think of D&D as a weird little piece of folk art that went mainstream. And people still try to pick it apart, as if Gygax and Arneson should have somehow presaged every idea and innovation that their work would inspire.

same shitty photo as a few days ago

>not using tetrahedral d4s
pleb

(OP)

It's more of a color-scheme thing. Tetrahedral d4s are easy to come by in any color. Tetrahedral d2s are only available in yellow and would've conflicted with my old-style Chessex d12s.

Only dice of my own I've ever really used for game stuff. I need to get more, especially those clear ones. I love the red and orange ones. Look nice but are easy to read.

I've though about getting one of those big dice bags, but I don't want 90% of my dice to look like vomit.

I will say that my favorite are the color dice. A friend of mine jokingly refers to them as "threat level dice." I have used them to roll colors, but I mainly use them for horror stuff or whenever I want to up the tension. My players seem to REALLY hate the idea of dice rolls that they have no idea about the results of. On breaks I change what colors mean what numbers to throw them off. But half the I'm not even using them for anything. I like to just throw them out there randomly just to freak them out.

I've post these before, but they are the oldest members of my dice crew. They celebrated their 30th birthday back in May.

Ðæt vintage.

I've got exactly 1d4, 3d6, 1d8, 2d10 (different colors), 1d12, and 1d20. That's all the dice I have. If I'm going to be playing 5e, which dice should I get more of?

i have a runic dice set with 1d20, 1d10, that dice with tens, 1d12, 1d4, 1d6 and 1d8

i have another dice set thats golden, translucent and has glitter. same as the last set, but with 4d6

I have around 4 pounds of dice altogether, but I use only about 20 different sets altogether. I will say that a fair number of them are novelty dice like pic related (just picked those ones up today).

If you plan to play a caster, I've seen a lot of d8's thrown around.

It's called a d%, NewAnon.

I use actually good d4s

So… d4s that roll, like in the OP, and barrel/crystal d4s? Glad to hear it.

I have eighty Chessex d10s, sixty of them in blue (for the players), and twenty of them in red (for me). They're in a square-bottom segmented dice bag by Marsbarn back before she retired, and I only have them because Reign (and other ORE games) kind of necessitate you use real dice.

I also have a sandstone d20, but it's more of a paperweight than an actual, usable die. It's the size of your palm, so you only really roll that thing if you want to smash the table you're rolling it on.

Other than that, I'm entirely digital. Most of the other systems I play use some kind of target number (d20, d% roll-under, 2d6 target number), which makes using a virtual dice-roller easier than physical dice, especially since my group plays on our laptops anyway.

Oh, and I have this jenga tower. For Dread.

He could mean dice like these.