H.P Lovecraft's eldritch family tree

Does anyone have the image of Lovecraft's family tree which he's descended from Nyarlathotep? I'd like to have it for reference.

Of course I do. Here you go.

Who the hell came up with this?

Also, is the Legatus guy the dude from Lovecraft's shortstory about his dream being of being a roman dude?

Lovecraft himself

Yup. It's done by HPL himself. Probably not entirely seriously, but the upper half of the chart is the one of the few insights we have to relations between the Outer Gods and the "hierarchy" of his cosmology. It's also consistent with other information on the same subject, such as him describing Shub-Niggurath as "wife of Yog-Sothot" in on of his letters, and Nug and Yeb being referred as children of Shub-Niggurath.

I thought that Shubby was Hastur's wife,

>such as him describing Shub-Niggurath as "wife of Yog-Sothot" in on of his letters, and Nug and Yeb being referred as children of Shub-Niggurath.
Wait does that mean yoggy got cucked by a human?

Shubs spawn are described as human hybrids, brought between a human and shub.

Nug and Yeb sounds like two fat guys arguing
"We're going to KFC"
"Yeb"
"Nug"
"Yeb"
"Nug!"
"Yeb!"
"NUG"

It's nearly impossible cuck Yog-Sothoth, he is everything except Azathoth and Nyarlathotep.

So it was selfcest?

They sorta are fat too, or maybe amorphous. Judge for yourself.

Exactly, isn't it great!

That was invented by some later writer (probably Derleth), who apparently didn't read Lovecraft's notes. Hastur in HPL's own stories only ever appears in a list of various names, with no indication whether it's a god, a place, or somethign else. His characterization as "Hastur the Unspeakable, the King in Yellow", is literally because somebody took the three terms that happened to be mentioned in a a row (Hastur, King in Yellow, Magnum Innominadum, latter of which was more likely intented to refer to Azatoth) and decided they must refer to the same being.

Although given what Shub-Niggurath is, it's entirely possible she's both of their "wife", as well as that of countless other beings. Not that Yog would mind, since he's literally the universe so practically everything is technically him anyway.

Yog and Shub are the swingers of the eldritch world.

Nyarly is one too.

So where do niggers fit in?

i love lovecraft, but gotta say, this stuff is probably the least interesting part of his work, and i think it's a little bit bizarre that the majority of the fans of his work have decided this was the best part of it posthumously
his writing was always about weird shit in general happening in arkham, and he made references to the mythos only in passing, enough to be mysterious and cool. and when you try and flesh it out like this it ceases to be cool
end rant

They are the racial degenerates.

It's cool, we love this and that shit too. Besides, we barely know anything about them so we try to focus on what we know so we can use them properly in our sessions.

Pretty much yes. Yog also had kids with old man Whateley's albino daugher (and possibly wife). Who would also at the same time be himself (since Yog-Sothot is all things and all things are Yog-Sothot) and his child (assuming all life comes from Shub-Niggurath, which is suggested in some of Lovecraft's writing). Some stuff not written by HPL also makes Cthulhu specifically the child of Nug and Yog-Sothot (while Lovecraft's own chart leaves his exact geneology unknown; it's entirely possibly he was spawned parthenogenetically).

Not that Shub's and Yog's "marriage" should be taken literally. In all likelyhood Lovecraft used the phrase to desribe Shub as a being of roughly equal power as Yog-Sothot, who share a close connection of some kind and spawned other beings together (which again might not imply actual physical mating).

Too bad Lovecraft wasn't like Robert E. Howard and had barely to no interest in sex, I'd love to read some Lovecraftian smut.

It's absolutely not done seriously and should be taken with a wink and a nudge. The genealogy comes from one of HPL's letters to Clark Ashton Smith, his contemporary and friend. CAS was the third of the Weird Tales "trinity" of writers along with Howard and Lovecraft and happily contributed snippets and ideas to the Cthulhu Mythos. CAS and HPL frequently referenced each other and their respective works in their own stories, but it was not really supposed to make a big, cohesive cosmology since it was just some friends with similar interests dicking around.

HPL wrote the genealogy as a reply to something CAS wrote about origins, and included his own and Smith's in the chart as part of the joke. The "Averoigne" mentioned in CAS' side of the chart is a ghost-haunted region of France which in many ways resembled Lovecraft's own Arkham, and which served as the setting for many of Smith's stories.

So it's a metafictional joke along with some dry Lovecraftian humor.

I don't like the way it makes everything seem so... small. Simple. Categorized. One of the main themes of the mythos is the human race's utter insignificance in the face of a vast cosmos filled with innumerable unnameable eldritch beings, and that works best when they are as alien to each other as they are to humans. For all that Cthulhu is worshipped as a god by human cultists, he himself is just an alien priest of beings who are even more powerful and alien, not the direct descendant of the creator of the universe. These beings shouldn't all be part of some family tree, as if "eldritch abomination" was just one specific thing they could be, as opposed to describing any being sufficiently outside the human realm of experience; that makes the whole thing seem kind of humanocentric, as if our world was an objective normal state rather than simply the part that we're most familiar with.

which lovecraft movie adaptation is your favorite one?

That horror is adorable.

>No Callgirl of Cthulhu

Pleb taste.

>no Die, Monster, Die!

I know. It's the cutest Dark Young I've seen.

No The Little Mermaid?

>no Reanimator

>No Dagon

good thing you brought that up

Yeah, wasn't Lovecraft against Asians?

>that filename

Mutated humans.

Already been said

If Dagon is that Spanish one it was fucking awful and full of fetish fluff.

He said racial degenerates not genetic degenerates.

RIP computer

That's some The Thing-level of mouth and tentacles.

If i ever get to be lead design on a game: I will include a folder named "Hastur", in this folder will be another folder named "hastur". In this subfolder, will be a executable file named "Hastur". Launching Hastur/Hastur/Hastur.exe will launch the game as normal, but with a serious mythos bend.

How the hell was it fetishy? It's pretty damn tame, and much more Lovecraftian in tone than From Beyond and Re-Animator, as much as I love those two.

What's your favorite reproduction of the Necronomicon?

I'm not a fan of those, they never live up to expectations.