Accidental Magical Girl CYOA General: End of Summer Edition

Welcome to the Accidental Magical Girl thread!

Various worlds and multiverses have become connected together via the mysterious Overcity, a sprawling landscape inhabited by monsters and magical beings.
Girls and boys endowed with their new supernatural powers can work together solving conflicts that arise!

>This is NOT a greentext adventure style CYOA with one GM and thread posting to dictate the adventure, but rather a hub thread for multiple storycrafters to use.

A majority of activity (including campaigns) instead happens in the Discord and Rizon IRC. Both are open for newbies to join.
Characters can be rolled with the CYOA's purple PDF, the Supplementary Combat System can be used for campaigns and PNP.
AMGC's blue pdf contains its own rules for PNP campaigns alongside expanded rolls different from the CYOA.

1.51 CYOA CHANGELOG (Important if you intend to update a character that was created with the CYOA writing prompt in mind): pastebin.com/ub28mT8t

Writefag Archive: pastebin.com/rSvTGQzP
Magical Girl Images (updated 02/26/16): mega.nz/#F!xINWxCqY!HsVA2LnU9RDMMmZieoqv9w

The Discord Server for Roleplaying and Campaigns:
discord.gg/FsuCpTJ

IRC on Rizon:
OOC Chat: #MGCYOA
Linkboard: titanpad.com/RWlqAHmERq

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/X0Ngy7zY
pastebin.com/cTL5Ptpa
pastebin.com/LFmGNMBq
pastebin.com/cbcBUc03
titanpad.com/FUjuIO6cfH
orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=xvJyAbps
pastebin.com/ZvxkyAbH
mgcyoa.azurewebsites.net/
pastebin.com/jCStZAqq
drive.google.com/open?id=11e88asWSMIIxB-iX7c5QX1j6pRcXWXAg0DTrLuOGVWo
pastebin.com/ArCvYAPt
pastebin.com/3rwLq8TT
pastebin.com/FJwNH5Fz
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZUVb3FDHPmssAH9nxfbwCNEHoVjPKh8SkOBQvP_gYOE/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The CYOA's Patron Module, which determines just who bestows your character's magical abilities. But be wary, for not all of these patrons are after your best interests...

Introducing the MGCYOA Supplementary Combat System!

The SCS was made as an add-on to the CYOA to cover the combat side of roleplaying. It allows players to easily take characters made in the CYOA v1.5 and use them in Quests and long-running campaigns alike.

This PDF covers the basics of magical girls and sets the groundwork for future updates (which will include Patrons, DMGs, and Monster Girls).

>Addons to the SCS, currently only the Order & Chaos / Friend & Foe expansion:
pastebin.com/X0Ngy7zY

>Mirrors: pastebin.com/cTL5Ptpa
>Changelog: pastebin.com/LFmGNMBq
>Previous Versions: pastebin.com/cbcBUc03

The SCS Order & Chaos, Friend & Foe expansion, for adapting patrons to SCS play, a basic bestiary, and creating dark magical or monster girl characters.

The SCS GM guide. Includes

>Statistics for Mundane weapons and their use in the SCS.
>Alternate and Additional Rules for use in campaigns and quests that help change gameplay to better interest/suit specific groups and/or campaign styles.
>A list of common questions regarding rulings and gameplay.
>Tips and suggestions for GMs looking to run a game.
>Rules for converting AMGC characters for SCS use, as an alternative to completely rerolling characters.
>Tips and suggestions for constructing cinematic scenes and narratives from mechanical interactions.
>An SCS version of a community-created “stock” quest.

This PDF is for AMGC 1.131, used for PnP in the IRC.
>Features 10 additional powers and 20 extra perks, as well as combat actions, point buy, and more.

>Spec Trees (spells for all 19 normal Specializations, updated often):
titanpad.com/FUjuIO6cfH

>Character generator for AMGC, made by Doxy using RandomGen by Orteil.
Just one click and your mahou will be finished! (Outdated)
orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=xvJyAbps

>Add-Ons to AMGC Core including the Corruption, Fusion, and Puchuu docs, now in one semi-convenient spot!
pastebin.com/ZvxkyAbH

>Character sharing thing made by emperor_
mgcyoa.azurewebsites.net/

Magic overhaul by Drakon in progress. Teaser located here: pastebin.com/jCStZAqq

>Torque's Google Docs Character Sheet
drive.google.com/open?id=11e88asWSMIIxB-iX7c5QX1j6pRcXWXAg0DTrLuOGVWo

>Mirrors: pastebin.com/ArCvYAPt
>Changelog: pastebin.com/3rwLq8TT
>Previous Versions: pastebin.com/FJwNH5Fz

Rolled 20, 11, 12, 18, 15, 14, 4, 11, 11, 2, 16 = 134 (11d20)

First

AMGC Corruption PDF, for mechanics of a monstrous nature.

AMGC Puchuu Expansion, for the myriad creatures that seek to instruct or command most magical girls.

The community-created "stock" quest didn't make it into the final version of v1.5 because I didn't manage to get any playtesting of it done.

It'll be in the v1.6 edition of W&W, though.

Worlds & Wishes is in the addons now too, for later OPs.

Rolled 17, 7, 3, 10, 11, 18, 12, 18, 12, 7, 14 = 129 (11d20)

Rolled 12, 17, 9, 4, 9, 5, 6, 15, 5, 15, 14, 19 = 130 (12d20)

Rolled 7, 5, 13, 18, 17, 8, 2, 5, 20, 1, 12 = 108 (11d20)

Rolled 2, 10, 20, 7, 9, 9, 20, 19, 18, 4, 20 = 138 (11d20)

Rolled 5, 1, 14, 5, 9, 1, 5, 5, 7, 8, 1 = 61 (11d20)

I'm glad to see that SCS is finding a good home here.

Rolled 19, 17, 14, 15, 8, 17, 19, 12, 16, 5, 14 = 156 (11d20)

It's the system of choice for every active gm. Pretty nice indeed.

Rolled 10, 10, 11, 3, 11, 10, 14, 6, 13, 16, 14 = 118 (11d20)

dice+11d20

Email field

Rolled 16, 13, 17, 11, 1, 11, 1, 3, 2, 19, 8 = 102 (11d20)

Mh. No? I DM with amgc for the moment.

I myself GM for MGX, but that's a secret.

bump-kun

Rolled 4, 13, 9, 5, 5, 1, 14, 10, 8, 10, 20 = 99 (11d20)

Considering there's like 4 active GMs, that's not really saying much.

What a joke.

Rolled 14, 13, 14, 7, 18, 12, 13, 11, 3, 10, 14 = 129 (11d20)

Rolled 10, 4, 7, 15, 8, 5, 9, 3, 7, 11, 2 = 81 (11d20)

Rolled 4, 9, 6, 19, 19, 8, 11, 20, 13, 20, 18 = 147 (11d20)

LOL

Age 11, UD, Lightning...? Melee, Flowing, and KB, though.

These rolls have stuff I've been itching to get, but at the same time...!

What's wrong with lightning?

Rolled 6, 17, 20, 3, 8, 18, 8, 20, 7, 17, 17 = 141 (11d20)

Rolled 5, 7, 4, 9, 10, 12, 4, 12, 6, 14, 1 = 84 (11d20)

Rolled 17, 7, 14, 3, 4, 1, 6, 11, 13, 6, 4, 2 = 88 (12d20)

Roll

Rolled 7, 3, 18, 19, 6, 7, 3, 16, 12, 10, 8 = 109 (11d20)

Rolled 7, 18, 7, 13, 20, 16, 17, 3, 13, 20, 6 = 140 (11d20)

Why is the thread moving at the speed of molasses?

People got shit to do.

Needs more drama

SCS IS THE BEST SYSTEM AND MAID IS A GODDESS!
MGX DOESN'T EXIST!
AMGC RUINED THE GENERAL AND THEIR CREATORS WERE CRIMINALS!
TORQUE IS POWERHUNGRY!
BEACON A SHIT!
MONSTER GIRL PLAYERS RUIN EVERYONE'S FUN!
WHAT ARE HORRORS?
I HATE MAGIC!

v1.6 is going decently. I'm still trying to gather up info and figure out what exact changes need to be made, but right now it looks like the big changes are:
>Twinned Soul needs to be reworked slightly.
>Regeneration needs a light buff
>Duplication Lv 1 needs a slight change
>Horrors need to be buffed to be less of a complete waste of a choice.
>Spell Creation still needs to be added.
>Empath needs buffs

There's a few other minor things, like QoL changes and making things easier/more concise reads, but for now that's pretty much what's on the plate.

Let me know if you guys have any other suggestions or concerns.

I would like a line of fluff text for some of the relics, to give a better idea of what they're doing to your character. I'd never have made the association that Future Len's is aging yourself up. Or Z-G bangle doing... some kind of gravity shit? I don't know.

The idea is that, like the CYOA Artifacts, each Relic would be something that you can fluff to be what you like. I'll add in some fluff text, though.

What's MGX? Is there a doc for it?

The CYOA artifacts are specific enough from the name. One heals, one purifies, one disguises, but when I see your Shifting Cap I don't know whats being shifted. Shape shifted or space shifting? Or something else?
It's more difficult to tell what the reality is and how to fluff it when just mechanics are listed. Or when you're a crapshot writer like me. Having a generic suggestion is nice.

Alright. I'll see what I can drum up. Thanks for the input.

Make sure to specify that the descriptions are examples and not the only thing it can be.

MGX is an adaptation of the CYOA into a pnp using a d20 system. As you probably know, AMGC uses d10s and SCS uses many kinds of dice.
Here's the link, although it's unfinished.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZUVb3FDHPmssAH9nxfbwCNEHoVjPKh8SkOBQvP_gYOE/edit#gid=0

Why aren't the SCS character sheets posted in the thread?
Why do the irc people making the OP never bother to ask for a working link to discord?
Fucking AMGC discrimination. I hope Sahara killed herself.

I hope you kill yourself, but we don't always get what we want, huh?

Thanks.

Dude, the Discord links are only good for like, 24 hours. It's not just the IRC, either. I pretty much only use the Discord these days and I've forgotten to get a new link twice when making an OP.

Shit just happens.

The SCS sheets aren't in the thread because the GDoc one is frankly a bit of a mess to post and I haven't finished the fillable PDF one yet.

Rolled 2, 8, 16, 15, 8, 18, 16, 19, 10, 8, 7 = 127 (11d20)

>MGX not existing
can confirm, flamy is doing nothing about it

Spell Creation is going to take up way more than a single minor version. Commit to it early so that you can get more iterations on it.

It's fucks like you that make this community bad. Have you considered killing yourself?

It's the fault of manipulative bitches like the AMGCunts that the community is bad. They manipulated everyone to whiteknight for them and persecute an innocent girl for daring to challenge their regime. Thank fucking god the Discord has free thinkers who can understand the truth for themself.

So, ignoring all of this dumb thread drama... I made a thing showcasing AMGC probability.

AMGC confirmed for unplayable!

This about sums up my experience with the AMGC dice.

Only one of us deals damage and that's because she has 20 mag.

>I HATE MAGIC!
Finally! Someone remembered me!

Remind me why we are using a system that makes succeeding on any roll virtually impossible?

Because it's the system everyone has used.

That, and the SCS was made by someone who was exiled from the community (and constantly ragged on by some people), while MGX is not entirely finished. Additionally, the developer of MGX is very unsuited for the job.

I might be a newfag but I see a lot more hatred for AMGC and its developers than SCS.
MGX looks fun. I love using d20s though so color me biased. Why shouldn't it be officially adopted as the system to use, it certainly seems less controversial than the other two.

-because there are a lot Mecha references only our /m/ friends would understand.

Mecha and mahou shoujo have a lot of common ground. I don't see the issue?

Not only that, but Hearthstone, Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and I think Final Fantasy references, too.

Also, the unmade spells for Time have names referring to different timeslows from different media. Except for Unarmed.

The AMGC hate is pretty new, before no one really hated on the various systems

>Not only that, but Hearthstone, Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and I think Final Fantasy references, too.
To be fair, the SCS has some of those, too, and while they're less prominent, so does AMGC. If we're basing the viability of a system on how many references it has, we're probably going to have a hard time.

Everyone's used to AMGC, honestly. Same reason it's taking 2-3 years for people to finally make the leap from 3.5e's broken mess of a game to 5e's slightly less broken mess of a game. The SCS only recently reached a fully playable state, and for a while many aspiring GMs just had no fucking clue what to do in the system even if they wanted to run it. Nobody uses MGX because it simply isn't finished to a playable state. Most specs don't even have usable spells.

Rolled 8, 16, 10, 11, 1, 5, 19, 9, 9, 12, 18 = 118 (11d20)

Personally, I just hate the guts out of success based d10s systems, they are too dicey in a way that kills a bit my suspension of disbelief. I can't make a competent warrior because he will usually roll badly and look like a goddamn retard. It's really irritating when eking

Exalted offsets this by giving you 30d10 to roll, but even then you can have instances of poor rolls.

30% hit chance per die isn't really all that good when you're only chucking 5-8 dice on average, and only about 20 dice on a very very good day.

Exactly, it's something that rubs me the wrong way. I accept the fact that the dice gods have their own wills, but seeing that chart and from my personal experiences with the system right now the basis of the AMG system are WAAY too much left at the case.

Playing in any system that wasn't AMGC would cause the irc mods to harass and ban you. It's important to keep that in mind when addressing the question of why AMGC is a popular system.

It's so broken. What a joke of a game.

Shitposter-kun, we are trying to do a reasonable discussion. Please, take your useless arguments and irritating shots to the AMGC system and disappear.

Man that's discouraging.
Can we have a vote or something to have 6 count as a success instead of 7? I'm not sure it'll do much but anything to change the current odds from being stacked for failure would be better than leaving Core as it is now.

There are things that would benefit the community. Abandoning a wreck of a system with an abysmal history of development and statistically proven imbalance should be a priority.
There's a system ready to play now which is better in every aspect. Refusing to transfer and play it instead is an example of stupidity at its finest.

Where AMGC has the SCS right now is player customization in the Spell department. Even when Spell Creation comes out, players still likely won't have the degree of freedom that AMGC gives players to come up with new spells.

That's one of the advantages of a community-developed system as opposed to a dev-centric system.

I hope you're not surprised that a glass cannon does more damage than you. If you're really doing no damage, it's probably a situation of a poor roll or build. The charts show that you can expect a curve of damage possibilities even if you are attacking with fewer dice than the defender.

Now, it is true that the system favors the defender. That happens in three ways: success math, information asymmetry, and permanent soak.
The system runs off of net successes, which means that (for example) defender wins ties. That's why for a 50-50, you need 8 dice against the defender's 7. The "defense rounds down" mechanic improves this situation somewhat.

Information asymmetry is mostly in terms of FP. The attacker has no idea what their roll is when deciding whether or not to FP, but the defender knows the attacker's roll. You can decide for yourself whether you like that, but one way to remove this would be to allow declaring attack FP after the attack is rolled. This presents other complications, though.

Permanent soak is the last systemic advantage of defense. It means that every attack has to overcome a 'soak hurdle' to really do damage. I actually rather like this one and how it plays with piercing and multiplication to add more depth to your attack decisions. That is to say, deciding whether to go for a big score with a higher multiplication or stick conservatively to an attack with pierce.

Of course, offense also has its advantages. There are lots of ways to boost attack (or make its successes more impactful) and comparatively fewer defense options. The wound mechanic also makes attacking hard and fast a more attractive option.

In my experience as an attacker with 15 in my character's main stat, I spend my mana and FP liberally to keep myself functioning while taking out the opponent's soak. Then I wait for the high roll that will cripple them.

>There is one, single, methodical way of beating your enemies.
>Every tactic is essentially this in a slightly different flavor with no real way to change it up.
Look, I'm trying really hard to give AMGC an fair deal here, but you're making it hard.

This just sounds like superstition over dice to me, which is common. The probability charts should ideally convince you that there is a tangible chance of success even when at a disadvantage, and that there is a decreasing curve of how many net successes you will get. The 0-success bar is really high because it lumps 0, -1, -2, etc. together.

That would actually not change anything, unless you're saying to only require 6s in the case of attack. If that is your proposal, I would be much more favorable to something like "all attacks get +1 die". I'm not convinced that's needed, though.

Oh Maid, so humble you are.
The implication there is that there's no moderating what goes into Core spells. If I made a spell that instantly kills another player there'd be no one to stop me.
That's a flaw, NOT an advantage.
SCS spell crafting will assuredly trounce Core as it has every other time when they are placed side by side.

Don't bother arguing, Core supporters are brainwashed into defending their precious system even when they are confronted with logic disproving them.

Umm... first of all, that's not true. There can be many confounding factors that change your strategy. But yeah, a strong offense is important. Is that really surprising to you?

Of course there is a dominant strategy in a vacuum, the same is true of any system. Even then, there is some variation as MAG plays a bit different from Melee. My comments are from a Melee perspective since that's what my main character uses.

No, I'm suggesting lowering the success threshold. Right now it's 7-8-9-10, what if we changed it to be 6-7-8-9-10? Wouldn't that result in another 8% bump towards succeeding on a roll? There was the 2 base dice idea floating around a few months back too. Additional dice get added to base 2 which can't be reduced.

I'm about to leave so I won't address the base dice concept now. Changing the target number from 7 to 6 would not have a large change on the probability of winning a contest because the defender gets the same benefit.

Wouldn't it fix the problem of having 0 successes?

That's 0 net successes. So If I roll 2 successes and you roll 2, the result is zero. The 0 bar is high relative to the others because -2 successes, -1 success, etc. are the same as 0 successes.

The point is that being more competent in something doesn't give me nothing 'sure', just more chances of getting successes.
Making an example with a known system, D&D 5E gives me proficiency bonuses that helps me reaching the target result, OR makes me roll two times if I gain Advantage.
Having more dices, following probability, makes me 'stronger', the problem is that this 'strength' is related in a way that I have to roll succesfully multiple times.
It doesn't sit well with me and, as I said before, kills a bit my suspension of disbelief.

First, stop licking Maid ass, it's disgusting and distasteful. He/She deserves a better treatment than this.
Second, no one forces me to play with someone that creates an instant kill spell and to take it if it's not community approved.

except your GM would stop you from making that spell unless they're an idiot

What gm when you're just role playing and whip that out on another player? Or are the gm who made the spell?
Zene was doing shit like this constantly because the system allowed it.

I'm quite certain they were doing that with monster perks, showcasing unintentional and broken interactions with regular perks and not spells. Nice attempt though.

>Someone breaks something.
>No one fixes it.
>Its a good system

AMGC is a poorly cobbled together piece of shit only held together because some of the ideas they stole were solid. There isn't any experienced gm or gamer who would recommend playing that steaming heap of crap or have fun with it.
It utterly confounds me no one is playing the system they plagarized a huge chunk of content from.

No, as much as you might try to suck my dick (fake or otherwise), I am fairly certain in this. AMGC will almost certainly have the better Spell Creation of the two systems, and it will pretty much always have this advantage.

The SCS has a lot of customization, but there are limits to how creative you can be without dev/GM input. There are hard ceilings to what you can and can't do, and what the expectation of your character is. AMGC gives the player a lot more freedom in their own mechanical decisions, with the only real limits to spell generation being the player's creativity and the willingness of the community and/or GM to allow such things.

While my personal philosophy does make me feel that community-designed systems are flawed by nature, I won't try to invent flaws where they don't exist. AMGC's spell generation is one of its highlights, and anything I do with the SCS will pale in comparison, even if only because I'm afraid of letting players have access to 100% unrestrained creativity.

Besides, player-created spells are non-permeable mechanics. As said, there's nothing stopping me from going "I think having an instant-kill spell with no real cost and no real drawbacks is unfair and I'm not going to play with you if you use that nonsense."

AMGC didn't plagarize shit from the SCS. Quit trying to start shit.

Posting with trip to avoid confusion.

amgc and scs have little to no similarities in content, that is why Maid is still working on how to convert an amgc character into a scs one

not the same person but
I thought fusion and the monster girl stuff were taken from you? And some powers?