So how do you like Kaladesh so far? The cards, the mechanics, the flair, the story, etc

So how do you like Kaladesh so far? The cards, the mechanics, the flair, the story, etc.

Where do you see potential? What's your opinion on WotC trying to push dwarves into white's empty "characteristic creature" slot? What do you hope to see? What do you want from Kaladesh?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nyhzyLttUOk?t=860
youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Honestly? I liked Soldiers being whites characteristic creature.

That said, the mechanics they've added are interesting and I like the setting a decent amount.

My only big worry is stuff like vehicles and energy counters being block exclusive. It just seems like really wasted potential and limits their viability in eternal formats.

Soldiers are too broad and not a race.

I could totally see energy return as the Izzet mechanic the next time we visit Ravnica.

You could have asked in one of the spoilers threads...

But I'm enjoying it. I like having options, and the energy, fabricate, and vehicle mechanics offer those.

And I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I think artifacts are one of the coolest super types in the game and I'm always glad to see more. Not pushed shit like Deathcoil Wurm, but Aetherworks Marvel and Woodweaver's Puzzleknot are rad

Soldiers are not too broad, and that's what makes them interesting. Zombie is also sometimes not a race.

Also, if they really needed a white "race" it should have been cats. There's already some support for cat tribal.

It's shit

For the most part I like it.

Positives
+ some of the art is really rad, like the fast lands. the tone in general of the art is great
+ vehicles seem really interesting and the art formatting looks great (like that legendary ship)
+ the positive tone is awesome, I've had enough grimdark for a while and it's great that the jacetice league isn't making too big of an appearance yet. Lorwyn was one of my favorite sets and this feels a bit like it

Negatives
- some of the art is really bad - Saheeli Rai's, for example. That's about as bad as you can get for digital art, and digital can be bad
- not really for this set, but I'm almost positive some jacetice league storyline is going to fuck this realm up in the next set. it's frustrating that even though some of these characters look interesting, they nailed the tone, the setting is colorful and fantastic, WotC will bend us over with Chandra and Liliana shit in the next set at the latest. the sooner garruk slaughters everyone the better
- energy seems really, really, really fucking lazy. I don't want to say they're out of ideas but it feels like they shipped it in with energy
- I can't really blame WotC for this because they need to make money, but creating what now seems like 99% of the cards for limited is annoying. Only mythic and rates and be interesting and playable outside of limited anymore. But whatever, I get that they need to sell packs...

What was wrong with angels?

They are white's iconic race. Like sphinx for blue, demon for black, dragon for red, and hydra for green. But it has been lacking a characteristic race. Like merfolk for blue, vampire for black, goblin for red, and elf for green.

I liked the art direction more than the gameplay. Don't liked any of the mechanics neither any card had catch my eye. I don't know, it kinda feels off.

It's filled with plenty of "limited bombs" and cards that will "go great in my EDH deck"

It's a shame you can't do anything with the cards after draft is over.

>how do you like Kaladesh so far
i don't.

Nobody does.

meme edition should just be deleted.

I saw Saheeli spoiler and I dropped. I do not want to pay for this kind of art.
Maybe my gf will get one card that I will like in the draft league but, out of that, I will wait until Egypt the plane.

Garruk is never coming back

Angels have traditionally been the "big" tribe that usually sees one or two rares every set, much like demons for black, dragons for red, sphinxes for blue, and hydra for green. These arent going anywhere anytime soon. The tribes we're talking about are the small tribe that fills the majority of the colored creatures in each set, like red goblins, white humans, green elves, blue merfolk, or tribes for certain blocks, like white kithkin and blue faeries in lorwyn.

Recently, white has come across the issue where "white humans" isnt working anymore, because magic has been moving into a lower strata of fantasy where characters must be relatable, and the easiest characters to create relatable motives for are humans. In recent sets, humans have been expanding into more and more colors as they take on every side of every plane's conflict so that every story can have relatable human characters. In fact, as a notable example, so many green humans have been printed that green is failing to represent its own creature types (did you know, for example, that innistrad has normal wolves and beasts that are not werewolves? SOI/EMN didn't). So, due to humans spreading into every color, white, traditionally the largest creature tribal set, has lost its major tribe, and it needs a replacent.

white has cat-folk

Maro said they aren't popular enough to be white's race. Same with Kithkin.

There are many sets where cat-folk aren't thematic.

White has humans.

I know, humans appear in every color, but they're predominantly white

If we can get a red deck that can compete with durdle turn 1, durdle turn 2, three toughness on turn 3, three toughness turn 4, standard will be fixed from the shitfest that it currently is. Thr way the set currently looks, this isnt going to happen, and "vehicles will save red" is just going to push us even further into 7-mana midrange and stalled boards of fat creatures with no relevant abilities.

Go away /pol/

Why does it trigger /pol/acks that Aetherborn don't have genders when sexless constructs never should have had genders to begin with?

Karn gets a pass for having a dude's spark, and MTG's Angels are all female (exempting Platinum Angel), but everything without a distinct sex is genderless by default. No one's shitting their pants about Golems or Myrs or whatever the fuck Ashiok is.

Bronze bombshell is a joke card. Thats why it is gendered.

People did shit their pants over Ashiok.

He was just over-shadowed by black Greeks.

>Only mythic and rates and be interesting and playable outside of limited anymore

?

Given that most of the direct human support in the last block was in white/green, the guy's not wrong.

He knows, he was just making a joke.

I'm pretty sure he was. I'd make a joke like that anyway

>>>/reddit/

>typos; the shitposting
That said, I really like what they're doing with dwarves in this set. Focusing them on not just "lol mountain guys that break walls and non-basic lands" to a race that is supportive of the collective (white) and builds/creates (red). The designers for this really nailed it.

You realize it was just a direct quote, right?

>builds/creates (red)

Building is white.

Holy fuck I'm a retard. in my defence I'm coming down from k and m

The problem with giving White an iconic non-human race is that there's not much you'd associate with Plains other than people.
>Leonin
Furry Humans
>Kor
Homeless Humans
>Giants
Big Humans
>Dwarves
Short Humans
>Kithkin
Shorter Humans
>Spirits
Dead Humans
Bird Humans, Elephant Humans, and Fox Humans appear rarely and are completely forgettable.

Merfolk have distinct designs and societies. Goblins have distinct designs and societies. Zombies are the opposite of people. Elves get a free pass to be racist. Every distinctly white intelligent race is a boring everyman human, even if it doesn't look like one.

>can't kill significantly more expensive creatures for no additional cost
It's not the Vampire Whitehawk it needs to be.

Sadly, red is all about 'liberating' the Aether from inventions. The red race is literally the villainous race, a non-intelligent species of acid-spewing mana-eating hybrids of naked mole rats and ant-eaters.

Building machines and artifice as a passion or art is red. Building them for science or as a utility is blue. Typically white isn't much of an artifice color.

youtu.be/nyhzyLttUOk?t=860

I guess you know something the Kaladesh world building team doesn't know.

It's still a good card, just more useful early game while Vampire Nighthawk is useful later. Either way it'll see constructed play.

Oh hey, that's actually something I haven't seen. I was wondering how the five colors worked on Kaladesh

That said, I wasn't wrong about the colors in general, but I was wrong about Kaladesh. My bad.

Not him but prior sets red has been a heavy artifice colour (either breaks the artifact,builds the artifact, or both).

Is that samurai dual-wielding two off-hand weapons?

>That's about as bad as you can get for digital art
Oh! Sweet summer child. cgi eldazi

>Bird Humans are completely forgettable.
the Aven in Odyssey were fucking awesome

>I don't want to say they're out of ideas but it feels like they shipped it in with energy
Maro has been pushing for energy since Mirrodin 1.

I'm not so sure a 1WW card will see constructed play, doesn't really fit into any existing white deck all that well

It's all about breaking artifacts or driving vehicles in this set.

If Mantis Rider can see play, I don't see why a similar card with less color investment wouldn't.

It was my post, sorry for the retarded spellchecking, my browser must have updated and now its autocorrecting things on Veeky Forums despite never having done that before.

I stand by what I said. That card is decent and might see play in standard, thats about it. It was printed because its very, very good in limited. r&d probably saw a lack of power in white in limited and said "let's give it some help." other than that it is boring and uninteresting

Fuck, why and how, that was their ticket to getting furries and girls into Magic, how did they fuck up? I got plenty of awkward boners from Skyhunter Cub when I was an impressionable, angsty teenager

Jitte are off-hand. Sai are typically a pair.

Do you know the last 3 Aven CHARACTERS to be printed? Kirtar (who went out with a bang), Teroh (who died like a bitch) and Eesha (whom, while a good card, didn't contribute much to the plot). All of these cards were printed in Odyssey block. There have been other Aven printed since, but they are universally forgettable nameless trash.

>There have been other Aven printed since, but they are universally forgettable nameless trash.
that's because all blocks after Odyssey are universally forgettable nameless trash

That's a decent point but, common misconception, two different colored pips is actually easier than two of the same colored pips, because multicolor decks are more common and when you're playing multicolor, the first thing you want a lot of the time is one of each of your colors

Mantis rider was also in a multicolor obsessed standard meta, might be different now

And finally its not perfect for a white weenie deck, it's good but maybe not worth a slot in white weenie

>I got plenty of awkward boners from Skyhunter Cub when I was an impressionable, angsty teenager
Kitsune Diviner and Orochi Sustainer had an... effect on me in my youth.

Kaladesh so far is exactly as I was expecting it to be. A 'fun' set where most cards are potentially usable in EDH but not the most practical of things. I even expected a new artifact type, though not vehicles in particular. The biggest surprise for me where the Aetherborn and Dwarves.

On another note, I really like Energy because I have a thing for tokens you obtain as a player since I built Mizzix and Mereen. As long as they give me options to redeem them in a variety of ways, I'll be sure to build around them. As a matter of fact, I'm already starting to experiment with a highly synergistic Investigate/Energy build I want to try out in Modern.

Finally, I really gotta hand it to Creative, they really made a compelling world and that's what I care about most.

obligatory thread theme

youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU

I bet there will be a creature with power and toughness equal to the number of energy counters you have or something similar.

Possibly a firebreathing creature

>meme edition should just be deleted
That's not how memes or physical objects work.

I don't know why they thought dropping the yearly Core Set was a good idea. It's the perfect place to dump support for old mechanics. Because god knows they don't print it in Commander

probably because the core set didn't print greenbacks like the expansion sets do

Still better than certain artists in the earliest sets...then again, they had some really really good shit too.

mediocre concept
ugly aesthetics
mostly boring mechanics
uninteresting characters

I can certainly relate to that.

I still have a copy of Kitsune Diviner in my bulk box.

I can finally make a Dwarf themed edh deck, with bonus vehicles thrown in. Therefore it is good in my eyes.

I don't care much for the setting, honestly, and if the story is anything close to what it has been for a while now, it will be complete ass, so whatever.

>So how do you like Kaladesh so far?
good job, gold star.

>a really compelling world
>a cyberpunk world without the edge and without the cool gritty aesthetics
Are you shitting me?

When everything is pretty and edgy, a genuinely nice world is refreshing.

Totally making Mad Mardu Fury Road deck.

I really like the overall tone and aesthetic of the plane. Invention, bright colors, black tribe not being some generic oogaboogas from the crypt... Can't wait to see how wizards will fuck this up and weep.

Not when its potential lies in horror and violence.

PHYREXIALADESH WHEN?

This. We went from Greek gods being dicks for a whole set to khans/dragons being dicks for a whole set to grim eldrazi war to GRIMMER Innistrad going to shit.

This plane gets to be the nice and happy one before everything goes to shit.

I hate phyrexiafags so much. You're shitty villain should have stayed dead in the 90s where it belonged.

They already did, by overloading everything with girly swirly shit that has no place outside of blue.

The next set is called Aether Revolt.

Have no doubt, it'll end with Kaladesh burning and it somehow being held up as a 'good' thing, after they spent all of this spoiler season hyping it up as a beautiful and wonderful place full of inspiration and brilliance.

at this point, this edition is basically magic being a parody of itself. It's worst than Megamorph.

>novel setting
>dwarves returning
>colored artifacts
>new EDH staple artifacts
>1 drop counterspell against colorless
>color shifted pseudo vampire nighthawk
>color shifted kraken hatchling
>ENEMY FUCKING FAST LANDS

All to be ruined next set with the appearance of the Gatewatch.

Editions don't exist in MtG. You have no idea what you're talking about.

The 90s are the right and natural state of things, though.

Can't wait for KANGZ set

The two-block model WAS a good idea. Before, even the good blocks kind of ran out of steam by the third set or had a terribad second and even if it didn't happen, the plane got old before we left.

Two sets also means they gotta cram much more shit and the designs they are actually excited about rather than filler. Maybe the cards are underpowered, but how many rares/myths would you outright call 'filler'?

I know, in my case: 4. Just 4 cards that I think are pointless or have no virtues whatsoever.

>in the earliest sets
Not digital art, not what I was disagreeing with.

Goblin Stand-in

>"good"
>implying burning this shitty amusement park for girls to the ground wouldn't be an actually good thing

Yeah, i know. My bet is on Chandra deciding to go full Rakdos.

You never go full Rakdos.

Wait, I thought this was the egypt set?

call it whatever you want. Fact is, it sucks.

who the hell even puts 8 symbols for counters counters in a card when you could literally just write '8 counters'? why does this shit even get a symbol? why are vehicles a thing? why is it that the cards are so bad?

nope, this is poo in the loo set
Egypt is 2017

No, that's next set.

This set is artifacts-matter-but-not-as-much-as-Mirrodin-and-it-has-Indian-aesthetics.

>Blue Deceit
>On white side
Surprise suprise

>90s were the right state of the world
>Comics were edgy and full of 'ambiguous' violence like like the last Superman movie
>Banks were allowed to go full Jew and designed financing as a sucks to be you storm.
>Diversity levels that actually make the current era SJWs seem racist as fuck.

I never thought I'd see anyone on Veeky Forums say any of these things were good.

Egypt is next set.

>A cyberpunk world wit nothing that resembles cyberpunk nor the slightest hint at it
Have you considered that Kaladesh might NOT be a cyberpunk world?

Steampunk is more like it and even that's very far-fetched if you ask me.

>girly
Isn't it September now? Why aren't you back in school yet?

You forgot to go full memelord, you should have said 'WEWUZKANGS is 2017' instead.

Just fished a fresh one out of a Kamigawa tournament pack, sort of want to hotglue it for old times sake. Might even Xtube the endeavor, if I'm feeling degenerate enough.
Want to watch?

Nah, I'm done with you. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

You're just some kid that walked in from a D&D thread, played a few games of Magic Duels and thinks that they're a GP pro.

Yes

Either English is your second language or your're having a stroke. In the case of the latter, might wanna get that checked.

>next set:
KALADESH IS TORN ASUNDER BY CIVIL WAR AS A MAD INVENTOR CREATES A DEVICE THAT SHAKES THE VERY FOUNDATIONS OF KALADESHIAN CULTURE:
toilets

shit runs on magical electricity
they got spy drones
they got mechs
they got bionic shit
they got the groundwork laid for cyberpunk MtG but instead it's just gay.

>no arguments
c'mon, at least use a weak one like "s-some people may like the setting"

They already HAVE sewers though.
Yes I know you're memeing, it's still an old joke

It's not really supposed to be cyberpunk, they aren't even trying to imply it is. It's just a city with a slightly strict government that wants to hold an inventor's fair, which was common in Europe during the industrial era. People used to do those.

Forget about it. No Phyrexia and no radically running the plane into the ground. Maro already said that one of the things he sought to correct in Magic design was making small expansions too different from the first sets and altering settings too much both mechanically and flavor-wise.

That does not mean they won't EVER do it again, but with the second set of the next block being called fuckin' "Hour of Devastation" I think its clear that Wizards ain't gonna overdo it with Aether Revolt if only so they can go full Apocalypse Now in Hour of Devastation.

What I expect is that the set will focus on the Renegade's side of things and portray Kaladesh in a new, not so pleasant light, albeit not actually changing the setting much, that's for the Return to do.

Oh yeah bby, expect AT LEAST one return to Kaladesh. ARV is likely to be tbe start of a large conflict in the plane, that'll be resolved in the return. THEN Phyrexia shenanigans might happen, since the Kaladeshi are dabbling with forces deeply connected to the Blind Eternities. Ramshi's Matter Transporter is only the tip of the iceberg.

Fuck no, that's messed up.