World building is Veeky Forums right? That makes fictional languages Veeky Forums

World building is Veeky Forums right? That makes fictional languages Veeky Forums.
I'm building a setting in which the only sapient races are humans, and was wanting to design a written language for immersion, all but one of my players are into stuff like that, so I'm looking for inspiration.
Post articles and pictures about fictional languages, discuss semantics of an alphabet or a cipher, etc.
Pic related I always thought was neat even if its fanbase is pretty terrible. The idea of a symbol representing a sound was actually how I intended to do mine (though obviously not using huge circles, it's not really practical).

Other urls found in this thread:

zompist.com/kit.html
youtube.com/watch?v=sFWc0sBO62c&list=PLduA6tsl3gygfiWmGAhhHb4-HAqP6I63l
youtube.com/watch?v=cxKcGNjSpM4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bbi 6bi hyxhbi yrTpa orpoMhble kpyrN, 4to6bl orpoMHbie kpyrN, 4to6bl cAeratb rpomkne croBa?

Or in english instead of my fictional language: Wouldnt you need ultra huge circles to make big words?

Big words, no, not up to a certain point. You can just do the individual letter shapes smaller. Long sentences, however, require big circles and therefore this is really impractical as an actual system of writing.

AH IT HURTS TO READ
Goddamn, the level of autism required for that to be a viable language is just like the Doctor Who fanbase.
I mean, that style of writing makes perfect sense as part of a truly alien language, but I like my horizontal, left-to-right, clear font the way it is.

Any Lojbanos in here?

xu lo tavla lojbo ku nenri ti

Actually, I think it should be baupli lojbo. And I forgot my numbers.

So:

xu so'o baupli lojbo cu nenri ti

If you really want to put in the effort:

zompist.com/kit.html

youtube.com/watch?v=sFWc0sBO62c&list=PLduA6tsl3gygfiWmGAhhHb4-HAqP6I63l

This guy has made a few videos detailing some basic linguistic considerations for anyone who wants to make their own conlang.

I'd love a linguistics general on teeg.

Oaliut oshukal met ashaian oshaian guzh gottrip-marny.

I wonder if anyone is able to work out that this is bullshit: literally, "Iamwondering anyone if tobeable torevelate(tothemselves) this tobe-rottingpiggut".

Everything but the last word is middle eastern inspired -- as in, I made words which sound kind of like how I imagine middle eastern languages sound like.

That's not the best way to go about it. Start with sounds, work up to alphabets, then phonotactics.

Most Indo-Arab and Indo-Chinese languages use what's called an abjad or abugida alphabet, meaning they don't have symbols for vowel sounds. In Arabic vowels are always attached to consonants, and then are only distinguished by diacritical marks added to the consonant symbols.

Hope I did this right...

Counter-clockwise, right? It's really hard to tell how the vowels attach to each consonant, since there's no real plane of reference for each symbol. From the PDF, vowel position seems arbitrary, especially since the circular consonants can be rotated.

Assuming you read from 6 o'clock clockwise, I'm getting: "OJ is a fag" Although "fag" was annoying to work out because of those extending lines.

>The idea of a symbol representing a sound
Is consistent in literally every language.

So are we making Neckbeardese or what?

E silr bnavan drec myhkiyka, ed ec ayco du ica yht uvdah lnaydac nydran aycemo cbugah funtc eh dra dnyhcmydat clnebd

Jesus christ that's totally impractical.

Ei perkele mitä mä valvon vielä tähän aikaan ja haukun paskoja kirjoitussysteemejä.

(It's not how they sound. They tend to have a lot of sibilant consonants and a limited vowel set. 5 or so vowels.)

Scripts derived from the Brahmi alphabet have an assumed vowel value in consonant characters, whereas the most semitic languages just don't feel the need to write vowels. (Arabs and Arabic students are wimps. Real men like the Pheonicians don't need vowels.)

The semitic langauges don't generally use vowels for distinguishing words. It's all based off of consonantal roots, so things like pot, pit, pat, and put would all be related, distinguished by tense or part of speech in a Semitic language.
So...
k-t-b 'write'
kitab -book
maktab -library (m- prefix noun)
katab-he wrote
ktaba-she wrote
ktabu-they wrote M
kutab- he was written. etc
Things like that.

It's made primarily to look cool than readability, which is why it has a whole subset of rules dedicated to creating random lines that mean nothing other than sprucing it up

So if my classifications are right, I would say Semitic languages are featural systems? Where a base or root word is added to in meaning by the addition of consonant/vowel pairs?

And featural vowel tenses make me rock hard. So elegant. It almost makes up for those godawful velar fricatives.

>Neckbeardese

The laziest possible language. No voiced consonants, maybe three or four obstruents at most. You should be able to speak Neckbeardese without moving your lips any more than is necessary.

I'll make a sound catalog, be back in a bit.

>Is consistent in literally every language.
Not every language, actually. Logographic languages (like Chinese) use symbols to represent concepts, with no direct relationship between symbol and sound whatsoever.

I've never really felt the need to come up with an entire conlang, but I do like thinking of alternative ways of writing English. I've got a syllabary or two that I've thrown together while sitting bored in class, and at one point I started trying to brainstorm a list of basic concepts to use as the core symbols in a logographic writing system. Never did end up finishing that logographic one, though.

Don't worry about the whole chart. Just know the following:

1. The top column tells you which part of the mouth is responsible for making the sound.

2. The left column tells you how much the airflow through your mouth is restricted to make the sound.

The top of the list, bilabial plosives, start at the front of the mouth and stop almost all airflow (p and b sounds, like in "pit" or "bit"). The farther right or down you get from that first cell, the farther back in the mouth you move and the less your airflow is restricted when you make the sound.

It would be difficult to make a language requiring little lip movement just because of the way our mouths work. You would have to stick to the bottom rows of the chart, which feature sounds that are difficult to produce since they rely more on the larynx, uvula, tongue, and epiglottis. If our lazy conlang is to be a thing, it would be comprised of throaty breathing noises, which is appropriate given the subject matter. I would still like to keep some lip movement for clarity's sake.

Do you like circles op?

That is some weapons grade autism in that image OP. And here I thought the Klingon language was bad.

I've wanted to do a language based on recursively constructed symbols.

Does anyone have that picture where numerical glyphs are consturcted out of prime factorization, with the primitive forms being 0 and 1?

>That's not the best way to go about it. Start with sounds, work up to alphabets, then phonotactics.
That's what I did.
>It's not how they sound
Well, yeah. I'm not making a not!Turkish culture. If I was, I'd probably learn some Turkish first.
>Chinese
>with no direct relationship between symbol and sound whatsoever.
You what.
You can't call Finnish your own made-up language, Tolkien.

You done goofed. There is nothing for the C letter, but your sentence has it.

>C is replaced by K or S.

>That's what I did.
No you didn't, because you just posted some random gibberish you said "sounded" like Arabic, then myself and another user pointed out that Arabic doesn't sound like that.

That doesn't have anything to with the order I created it, user.

Also, I didn't say it sounded like Arabic.

>I made words which sound kind of like how I imagine middle eastern languages sound like.

Take your pick, then. What you posted sounds like none of them.

Post your alphabet. Maybe we can help you.

>oshukal
That literally says "fucked (someone)" in my native language.

When I said "I made words which sound kind of like how I imagine middle eastern languages sound like", I was trying to make the point -- which you made -- that they weren't actually meant to be middle eastern. This is meant to be its own thing. But, everything needs an inspiration.

I'm not going to post my alphabet though, because fuck doing that on a track pad.
>That literally says "fucked (someone)" in my native language.
Perfect.

>Simple worldbuilding rule.
If the worldbuilding is for anything except the sake of building a world, build only what you need and a little extra to create verisimilitude, too much and you will want to use it (sunk cost) which can create a fucking mess and get in the way of the actual thing you were trying to do (write a novel, run a game, etc.).

How the fuck would you even use this language in play?

Have in game notes be written in it so that it has to be deciphered? Interesting idea for a single puzzle, a waste of time otherwise.

If you were creating a language for the sake of creating a language/self-gratifying masturbation fine, cool, nice dude, great. If you're running a tabletop RPG there are far more useful and actually communicable on the fucking table things you could be doing instead.

Best conlang

I tried to learn Pastalie too but it's just too weird for me

I always wanted to try making a game where learning parts of a language translated into in-game power. At least then having a language just for the game would make some sense.

>OJ is a fag
Ha, knew I'd forget something. The J and the P are only a few lines apart.

Some user did that a while back. Made a game about runecrafting.

youtube.com/watch?v=cxKcGNjSpM4

"deceived" in mine

>tfw you will never make a language composed entirely of slurs of other languages

La Lisähbroonhrapid prygatço nad la Pjechleñjivij.
Лa Лicәьбpooньpaпiд пpыгaтҳo нaд лa Пѐцьлeњјiвiј.
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Yo, dog- conlanging is hella cool. I'm working on one at the moment.

When you say 'a symbol representing a sound' you could be more specific. There are a BUTTLOAD of writing systems- Arabic/semitic languages have the Abjad, then there's the Alphabet that a lot of romance languages use, Japanese languages have their writing based on one letter/character = one syllable (in addition to one letter = one word), and then Hindi has one called an Abugida.

The one I am doing is an Abugida like Hindi- the vowels are diacritics, so each character has seperate versions for how it combines with a vowel.

a cool resource is this website: zompist.com/kit.html

Veeky Forums please help, I know one of you has it.

When making up a language has a pretty good point. Choose a set of sounds you want to work with (look at the International Phonetic Alphabet for a list of all the sounds human speech can have) and then work your way up.

Kanji is more like "one letter = one concept", so you can combine "dog" and "child" and get "son of a bitch".

To the best of my knowledge, It's one of those weird things where some kanji have those 'radical' forms that you can jam into/next to other kanji. Simple things are more likely to have their own Kanji character whereas more complex ideas/words are more likely to be expressed with compounds- is that about right?

Fuck if I know, I'm working from an extremely incomplete understanding.

Kind of. Issue is that Kanji are just Chinese characters which were designed to work with ancient Chinese.
They work on a few basic principles.
There's ones that are pictures of whatever it is that you're talking
There's ones that use a few little pictures to give you an idea of the concept.
There are ones that work on a rebus principle, with the radical helping you to figure out which one it is.

>tfw that's describing the dialogue of my region

I remember a guy who spoke entire sentences with maybe three vocals in them, instead slurring everything into nasals and voicded fricatives.

I think I prefer Hangul to most of these languages.

I made a super casul glyph ones, in case i ever need to communicate super secretly with the only other person who knows of it.
It's a pretty simple design, easily carved into things.