Help me out here guys. This is a pretty awful thing to come here with but fuck it I don't know where else to go...

Help me out here guys. This is a pretty awful thing to come here with but fuck it I don't know where else to go. My dad made a wallet in the summer and dropped a really decent amount of money in LTC in his wallet. He's made back triple what he originally invested, but he said he only has 15 characters of his "password" and he wants to figure out how to get access into his wallet again with his incomplete "password"

I really have no clue what to do here since it's a fairly large sum of money we're talking about here, I really want to see if I can get into it. Can someone point me in the right direction on what to do?

Other urls found in this thread:

electrum-ltc.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

so he forgot the seed?

How long is the password? Sounds like it would need to be brute forced.

>get wallet with terminal interface
>write bash script to start appending every random character to the known password
>bruteforce your way in
Time to repurpose those mining GPUs fampai

How long are the passwords usually? He says he only has 15 characters of it. He says he thinks it's just one character he's missing so that'd be easy to brute force, but I'm not sure if 16 is maximum or if it could be 18.

He has the seed, just the password to transfer/withdraw from his wallet is what's not known.

Thanks pal, this seems like a good approach.

If you have the seed no need to bother brute forcing anything, just restore the wallet with the seed and you're good to go.

If he has the seed, remove wallet and redownload, then use the seed to restore.. and hey presto you get acces!

Sorry for my ignorance about all this, but is it really as simple as just putting in his string of words and that's all? I can access his wallet with just his seed?

Sorry forgot to mention in you this too.

Yes, the 24 random words combined make up your private key. You use it to restore your wallet.

Yep it's that simple. That's the point of saving the seed in the first place, it's the unique string used to generate your private key.

Is it 24 words? I only got 12.

They can be any length depending on the format, 12 is common. To clarify you don't use the seed as a password, because that password is just to decrypt the private key stored on your pc.

Gotcha. Thank you so much for your help. I'll update the thread if it's still alive if I manage to get into the wallet.

Oh sorry bro, I have a hardware wallet that uses 24 words.. it can be 12 aswell no worries.. what wallet are you using if I may ask?

Just the regular Litecoin wallet off their website. I think I'm gonna get the Nano Ledger (?) hardware wallet to move his shit on.

At least he's not buying you Kringles.

Ok, yeah I have the Ledger Nano s, it is a good wallet. Nice and secure.

No probs gl.

Sorry for bringing this up again, but do I need the wallet.dat file aswell? I don't see any way I can restore the wallet with just the seed, unless I'm not seeing something?

1. Back up all the files you currently have.
2. To be safe, install a fresh copy of the Litecoin Wallet on a DIFFERENT computer.
3. Restore the seed on that machine.

I'm currently on a computer that had no wallet attached it before, I've just been waiting for it to finish syncing. It's just that I've been looking through the menus/settings and I don't see anywhere I can restore the seed on.

Instead of creating a new wallet, you should have choose the option to restore if there was a option for that.

As far as I can see Litecoin Core doesn't let you do this unless you have the wallet.dat file... I'm going to try with the electrum wallet since they apparently offer to restore with just the seed.

Maybe it was Litecoin Electrum - that uses seeds like what you have. Main download page links here:

electrum-ltc.org/

You won't need to wait anywhere near as long for everything to sync either

Already on it, thanks so much for your help pal.

No probs. Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt! I know what it feels like.

Ok well then you need the wallet.dat file to restore instead of the seed.
Google gave me this www reddit com/r/litecoin/comments/5amayl/importing_old_walletdat_into_litecoin_core/

So I got the electrum wallet, but when I put in my seed the next button is greyed out. When I click on the options and select BIP39 seed, the next button is clickable but it also gives me a warning saying I could basically fuck everything up if this is wrong. How can I know if my seed is a BIP39 seed?

As long as this is on a different computer it won't fuck everything up - you can always delete the install and start again.
I'm assuming that it thinks that it's a BIP39 seed if it's not showing you the next button. That means that the wallet was encrypted using a password, in addition to the seed words, at the time of creation. (or possibly created on some different wallet software completely)

Will I need the password to decrypt, or should I just go ahead and select BIP39 and hope it works?

Yes. If it's using BIP39 then the only way possible to recover the wallet is to enter the same password that it was setup with. I would try it and see what happens. If it doesn't work delete the wallet and try again with a different password. You can keep trying as many times as you want. Just to reiterate - this is on a fresh computer? If so, you can experiment as much as you like and keep retrying.

This is on a fresh computer, yes. My dad still has access to his wallet where he's at, but he can't send/withdraw anything since he doesn't know the password which is starting to make sense now... He sent me 15 characters from his encryption password, not sure what I could do now. The 15 characters he sent me are a mix of capital letters, lowercase letters, and just general ascii symbols. I'm gonna try to make a new wallet (empty), encrypt it, and see how long the password it gives me is. Hopefully it's the same number of characters for any kind of wallet.