So a friend of mine passed up game yesterday because he was given less than 24 hours' notice that an appointment of his...

So a friend of mine passed up game yesterday because he was given less than 24 hours' notice that an appointment of his had to be rescheduled. The appointment was to go and get over $400 of computer parts for less than $100 as a one-time opportunity. Our DM got pissed and kicked him out of the group because he was given such short notice, but my friend got short notice as well. I feel the DM overreacted and I'm upset because my friend is enjoyable to game with and now he won't be back.

I guess my question is, obviously it's important to maintain a schedule for gaming, but why would it be reasonable to lose your shit over something another player can't control? Personally, I would pass up game if it meant saving at least $300 for something that provides more stable entertainment than a gaming group which is already unstable, at best.

Is this the first time your friend has short noticed the group? Is your GM usually this grumpy/autistic? OP, was this you?

Did the kicked player regularly miss sessions? Had he previously been warned?

If yes then no foul, this isn't really imho a serious enough reason to cancel at such short notice

Not me, legit someone else. My friend is a bit of a douche but so are all of us in the group. First time for this group. My DM is a bit autistic bit not a sperglord, but I see him getting mad for not showing for even a responsibility.

Not a single one yet. Myself and him are the only players that haven't missed a game, until now that he missed yesterday's.

Your GM is certainly being a douche for a first time offence. Give it some time, make sure the offending party is apologetic at least, and he should be able to return.

After all you're all adults, right.

Fuck no, I'd do that.
$300 saving is a good reason.
If one of my players genuinely had a reason like that I'd be okay.

Tell the GM he's being a cunt. Either your friend comes back or you walk.

>I would pass up game if it meant saving at least $300 for something that provides more stable entertainment than a gaming group which is already unstable
I wager that this is the part QM is upset about. What your friend did basically sends the message that QMs is worth less than $300 to him. Personally I would ditch anyone who doesn't value me at least a grand.

When shit like that comes up, you just walk.
You don't give options to a shit person, you just leave them to steam in their own waste.

We're all between 25-30 and broke as fuck, the banned player is on disability and normally has no money. I'm obviously biased because the guy is my friend, but it has nothing to do with not caring about the game, it has to do with making the best investment.

>$300 saving is a good reason.
>If one of my players genuinely had a reason like that I'd be okay.
I agree with this. I'm a GM, and I would cancel my own session if $300 were on the line.

However, if my player didn't mention that and just told me "I can't come because I need to buy some computer parts", without convincing me that it's a big deal that absolutely had to happen on game day, then I would consider that very disrespectful. If it was a very new player, then I would consider not inviting him back, but I might let it slide the first time if he's a good guy.

>why would it be reasonable to lose your shit over something another player can't control?
After the third instance of 'whhops I fell asleep', it gets really annoying.

Falling asleep during game time actually puts me over, though.

[continuing this post]

Now that I think about it, it's important to question whether the DM knew everything OP is telling us. Like he might not necessarily have known that OP's friend is poor and was doing it to save a lot of money. In that case it could have sounded like a bad excuse and not something important.

When you fall asleep you are an NPC in my games.

Nah he knew. My friend is always going on about being a diagnosed psychopath and how he can't work and how poor he is.

>always going on about being a diagnosed psychopath
You sure this didn't have anything to do with it?

Legit cripple or autismbux?
Well, the problem is that if GM is poor as well, the 300 seems like even more money for him comparatively.

It's all fun and games until there's dicks on your face. Best case scenario they are drawn in erasable marker.

My rule is that if you do not inform me of scheduling issues at least 5 or so days before the game, the game will just happen without you. Same if you have to leave early, though I will try to wrap things up before that if possible.

If the game is good enough, people will try to attend as much as they can. I player turnout is often small, clearly it's not interesting enough.

As a GM, I would not have a problem with one of my players doing that. Number one, that's financial sensible and sometimes opportunities pop up on short notice. Number two, I regularly talk with my players about the quality of the game and what they want/expect out of it, I know my players pretty well, and I am confident that they enjoy the game and have a good time in it and they're not just blowing me off--they're genuinely just taking advantage of a surprise opportunity.

The way I look at it.
>Tell me when you can play as we schedule it, make sure to include basic stuff like work, school, doctor's appointments, and dealing with your kids
>If someone comes up try and tell me as soon as you reasonably can
>If something comes up suddenly and is important I won't penalize you
>If you miss for a trivial reason I just won't give your character any xp and might give the rest of the party bonus xp

Acceptable reasons to miss
>Family illness
>Personal injury or illness
>Sudden work or school stuff
>Something that prevents you from coming to the game (eg. car broken)
>Major financial or other shit that you need to worry about

If you miss several sessions for trivial bullshit don't be surprised when everyone else in the party is better than you because they get xp for actually showing up.

Honestly the only time I get annoyed is when someone no call no shows. at least let us know you're not dead or anything.

>What your friend did basically sends the message that QMs is worth less than $300 to him
How is that correct?
The friend wagered missing one session out of many to come against one-time deal of $300.