What is the catch with a tiny house? Getting out of the rat race ASAP

Lets propose two options.

Option 1: You buy a 60 year old 1,200sq/ft traditional house, lets say it is $150,000 in some suburb and has a shitty single vehicle garage. Your property taxes are about $1,500 each year, along with the average utilities cost of $3,600 per year. After say 50 years of living in this home, you have paid the $150,000 + (50 x $5,100) = $405,000 to own this property for 50 years, about 1/3rd possibly in equity.

Option 2: You buy a brand new 300sq/ft tiny house, the nicest options are $80,000 after everything, and you buy 1 acre of land for $20,000 with the hookups for your appliances etc. Your property taxes would be about $1,200 per year, along with the average utilities cost of $1,200 each year. After say 50 years of living in this home, you have paid the $100,000 + (50 x $2,400) = $220,000 to own this property for 50 years, almost half possibly in equity.

These are real numbers that I have done some research compiling. Assuming your homes become worthless immediately/you don't ever plan on selling it, you are spending ~double to buy and live in a traditional house. Having the real house would be nice, and it is possible that your tiny house would depreciate like a traditional trailer home would. A tiny house is literally a house that is small enough to put onto a trailer and tow, so they aren't built like trailers but true houses, so that may be incorrect.

What are your thoughts on this shit? Think about getting out of the rat race in your early 20s with less than $200,000 and it's not even some hippy dippy living in a tent out in the woods bullshit. It's a very small house, put up a car port with some gravel for a driveway, have a garden or whatever - what is the difference between this and a larger house? Houses less than ~$150,000 are typically are in a shitty area or have problems and you wouldn't want to live there for a long time anyway.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5edexw8lws4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The other obvious option is to not give a shit and rent an apartment/shitty house and pay ~$14,400 each year. After 50 year, we have $720,000, and this would get you a 150-500sq/ft studio/1br in a nice area or something larger in a shittier area. That's clearly not worth it. Even with a very inexpensive apartment, you are paying $360,000 after 50 years and you have no equity there.

Buy a $20,000 shitty little house that needs work for cash. Fix it up in your spair time. Worked for me, worth four times that now.

buy a yurt

>$20,000 house

where I live the minimum price for a house is $300,000

a trailer is $150,000

>Live near Vancouver
>$20,000 for grave plot
> Can barely afford to die

I will never see a 20k home in my lifetime, where the fuck do you live?

what a shit investment

An acre of land for 20k? I am assuming that would be more rural/small town location, rather than a metropolis with jobs and vibrant city life (yes this is a normie thing, but that is one of the main reasons why people pay a lot more to live in cities. This is probably he main catch.

Otherwise, sounds like a plan. I have seen it argued quite a few times that one should just get a high paying job in a big city, live in a cheap crappy apartment, and save enough money after a few years to purchase some cheap farmland and just live off that

people will assume you are a cuck

tiny houses are a meme
youtu.be/5edexw8lws4

>1 care of land for $20,000
Good luck idiot.

because most people don't live alone, having a bigger house will be more comfortable

>What is the catch with a tiny house?

Farts

>after fifty years
theres a saying that goes in the long run we are all dead

What the fuck is property tax, what kind of bullshit degenerate country charges its citizens for fucking having shelter

nah im good. enjoy my 2200 sq ft.

stay broke faggot

Not really the same, but still, for the life priorities and type of personality of that dude it makes sense.

Every single cou-

Oh fuck I see what you did there. It's fucked up indeed.

>Assuming your homes become worthless immediately
But that is not usually the case.
Property values, in my country at least, usually retain or increase in value

Not even intentional, like everywhere I've lived you have to pay tax on initial purchase of property if it's valued over a certain amount because poorfags people shouldn't pay to live. That's pretty much it.

theres no way i could fit all of my electronics into a little shithouse like that

btfo op and quit shilling your shitty little houses faggot

I pay $400/month rent in a major city

If you buy a house you are paying at least $400/month in taxes and property upkeep

I've thought about this. I'll probably move somewhere without capital gains taxes so I can cash out my crypto gains. Then I think I'll move around between different (cheap) countries. Maybe one day I'll settle down somewhere and do the tiny house thing. I'm pretty frugal/minimalist so it would suit me.

Installing a toilet is a pain in the ass, literally. You'll also want to start a family one day, so you'll end up building extensions or a second tiny house one day anyways.

Nothing wrong with property tax in itself, since it prevents richfags from just buying all the land and monopolizing it, or at least makes it very costly to do so. However, property tax should be much lower or non-existent for small single plots indeed.

> $20000 house

Bitch $20000 houses don't exist in Australia

you wanna live in a cuckshed?

Excuse me, but what is "ASAP"? Is this a new cryptocurrency?

if you're a NEET, it's an option.

a lot of places require a home to have a certain size/foundation in order to qualify for hookup/be legal.

most tiny homes are trendy, and as consequence, incredibly overpriced.

Houses aren't expensive, land is. I never understand why weird leftists are so into tiny houses in theory.

>live in NZ
>400,000 is considered a cheap house
>Any section remotely close to a city (even a hour and a half out) would fetch 300,000.

>start a family
I thought the whole point of this is that we tried and tried to be normies but society especailly girls rejected us so we just want to be left alone.

>20000 house
Thanks for the advice 3rd worlder. That wouldn't get you a studio apartment in the ghetto in my state.

How does it feel to be an eternal metropolitan cuck?

can you explain what that is in modern terms?

big tent that nomads use

i live in a town of 30,000 people. real estate is crazy in canada

go ahead and live in a small house like a rat.
what's the point of living in that shit

Why would I ever live in the suburbs? Why would I ever own a car? Why would I care about living in a “shitty” (I assume you mean minority majority) neighborhood?

Also the taxes and costs are going to vary wildly by location.

Since we're talking about houses, what's the minimum salary you'd have to make to buy a house vs renting for your area?

For me, $80,000, Baltimore metro

The only Tiny Space I stayed in was really well done, but I just need too much shit to do it.

>why weird leftists are so into tiny houses in theory.
because there's more room for jamal and akbar, that way

Dude, you can get a house in the city for $1400 a month mortgage.

You can do the vacants to value program if you don’t mind fixing up a house.

just buy fucking bitcoin and rent

Make the house out of earth bag material way cheaper and still as structurally sound. the only problem is getting land for 20,000 that doesn't have radioactive waste dumped on it.

Looking at you guys talk about house pricing makes me glad I live in the midwest. I just bought my first house(1,400 sq feet) 4 months ago for 75K. Suburban, just outside a major metropolitan area. I can't believe the prices you're talking about.

120k unironically

Los angeles

Fixing is no problem. I mind the parking, crime, and packages getting stolen. I'd be commuting the same distance from an area like Highlandtown or Canton as I do now.

Fed Hill I don't like/too far from job, Hampden is not for me. I'll have a kid in the next 4 years so schools matter too. I'd have no kid before I'd put one through Baltimore City anything.

That's lower than what I was guessing LA would be. What areas? I know very little about LA. Everyone I know from there either lived in Santa Monica or Culver City.

I live in melbourne, AUS....

median house price is currently 817k....

quit bitching, faggots.

Doubt.

If the city has rental prices that low property taxes are not that high.

Phoenix: I rent one of my condos for $800/mo and pay $265 in property tax for the year.

You cant keep your autistic neet son with you

Does anyone else think I should be sitting here happy as a clam with a home in the city of Seattle?

BTC Up ... great
Stocks up... great
AMZN Up great...

Have $500k equity but I missed out on stockk run up. Someone slap me silly and say I will be ok since folks with those assets above will be bidding up RE.

Have $ on sideline and bought the Trump stock market bubble meme.

If I’ve been out this long I should just wait right? At least the home is leveraged and a 10% gain is $100k per???

i bought in seattle with a 30 year loan on a 525k house

already down to 400k on principal yay me

Congrats on immortality m8

What the fuck. Why do people sign up for this? Cities are a horrible place to live even without the insane cost of living.

I really just ignored the market and told myself we are pretty leveraged on the house so I wanted to be careful.

$220k 401k balance but again sidelines looking to get in. I’m ready to say fuck it and put it in but it is absolutely the wrong time.

First of all, you're paying for the one thing which doesn't fucking matter in terms of investment which is the house itself. You'll more than likely be paying monthly for the land that it sits on and the house will depreciate in value over time like a car. Might be interesting in the short term but property ownership will always prevail in the long run

>Taxes
>$1500

i presume you have a nice white collar job in seattle to take a deal like that

>150,000 for a house

jesus i wish i lived somewhere where that was feasible. Rent for a decent apartment is like $1,500 here

it's tiny, mate

>300 sq feet
>$80k

what

also,
>sq/ft

Please tell me where you live that a 20k house is available. Anywhere in the northeast US you are paying that as a down payment on a mortgage .

The catch is its a ripoff.
You can build the same thing for 1/10 the price

>i bought in seattle
>buying high and selling low
The Veeky Forums way.

land is cheap as fuck in florida
$10k for an acre around me

Welder here, why wouldn't you make this out of aluminum or steel 2x4 and fiberglass shell?

This.

It's cheaper to build one than buy one.

>No cat food in budget
Bro..

Why don't you just sleep in a car until you have enough money for a real house? You're going to get tired of that cuckshed really fast, but with that ungodly price you'll probably end up stuck with it since no one else is dumb enough to buy one.

Earths population will be 50 trillion in a few decades. Buy land because it will only go higher in price and keep it for your children

cupertino, $2 million asking. Probably about 200k with minimal chances of losing job

HERES YOUR REAL ANSWER
you buy a 10 acre plot of land,
land is like stocks and memecoins, an investment, and will grow in price over time.
in the mean time, build yourself your own cozy cabin with trees and shit on your plot of land, have everything run on solar, farm and fish/trap your own food. only pay for cellphone which can be used as a wireless network to allow for access to internet on laptop.
live the cozy life gaining more and more money, travel with all the extra money during cold winters. live the life

Bought a 2 acre block in rural australia before 25. Am I winning biz?

>what is time-value of money?
the thread

living the dream my man. Cant wait to buy me my own land

Got 28 acres of land. Am I gonna make it biz?

My... fucking...sides

1. Zoning/Regulatory bullshit
2. It's more expensive than a trailer

Sounds like Australia in the 80s

The catch is you're basically living in an RV.

You need more room for all your clothes and make up to do your nails faggot? What a retarded statement. At least you have something me don't have... A 21st pair of chromosomes.

cozy

is there a special coating you put on wood to make it more resistant to moisture ?

You can buy 50 acres in west Virginia for 50k

post moar comfy campers.

this is what it comes down to. If you want to live in the middle of buttfuck nowhere things will be cheaper.

You're better off finding a cheap piece of land somewhere and building a comfy little off grid cabin to retreat to on weekends, and then rent an apartment for weekdays. Then when you retire just build onto the cabin with your saved money and live the rest of your life in peace inna woods