Malifaux - "I have the new cards somewhere, really" edition

Books:
mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - not yet; if you have scans/pics please post.

Book 4 card pics: imgur.com/a/vJ5g0 imgur.com/a/tjdx4

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives.

New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules:
themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/114900-gaining-grounds-2016/

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1Eanh2ExaVb5zsbkCZJ6Ns943qG5_wu4HXVIx7TwfTPQ/pub?utm_source=NOVA Open Primers Are Here!!&utm_campaign=2015 NOVA Open Wrap-Up and Results&utm_medium=email
art-of-war-studios-ltd.myshopify.com/collections/malifauxcompatible
cadwallon.com/dirz-biopsist-1.html
infamyminiatures.com/shop/ranged-futura
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bumpan

In an attempt to get some discussion going let's have a topic;
Favorite Faction, Favorite Master, Favorite Schemes/Strategies to play.

Outcasts
Viktorias
Assassination with aforementioned master(s)

It's all just a blender.

Guild, Lucius, Plant Explosives/Deliver a Message/Cursed Object

My guys can't do much, but they can and they will annoy the fuck out of you.

>faction
Really hard to choose, I probably like neverborn best even though I win more with ressers though I get a distinct feeling it's gonna change to 10T because of Asami and misaki.
>Master
It would be a neck and neck with Molly and Asami but Both of Molly's sculpts are great so I put her first.
>favorite scheme
Frame for murder, I love throwing the bait out and watching the master murder the shit out of it while going "oh no fuck why did I do that." Before asking "how many wounds do you deal?" And cheating in a low card so they get positive flips.

Neverborn
I've been playing a lot of Titania recently, she's fast becoming my new favourite
getting schemes.
Anything involving chucking scheme markers about, stuff like set up and detonate the charges are especially fun with her since you basically flood the board with markers.

Gremlins
Somer teeth Jones
Turf war

What is hardcore henchmen?
I heard it get mentioned in the last thread.

4 models exactly, led by a henchmen, 20 point cap

If you throw a low card, and they have a positive flip, why wouldn't they chest in a low card, maybe even a black joker to keep it alive?

Unless they think it's a double bluff.

Leveticus upgrade Pariah of Iron.
Does hiring of of faction constructs incur the mercenary tax?
Or do all constructs count as his faction for the purpose of hiring?

>hiring of of faction
hiring of Out of faction

Hello, me.

Do go crazy summoning, gremlin gun line or Rambo teeth Jones?

for turfwar, you go summoning + gunline.

I would theoretically go rambo if I got stuck with reckoning or some kind of killy scenario, but I prefer not to play Somer into those.

Fair point, do gremlins have anything to deal with buried models?

>tfw Wyrd forgot about their promotion system this month

> Outcasts
> Gremlins
> Guild
> Neverborn
> Ressers

So nobody plays either Arcanists or Ten Thunders here? I can see why you wouldn't play TT, but I thought Veeky Forums would have arcanist players out the ass.

arcanist players are too busy being out being successful, partying, and having sex to post about miniature steam punk soldiers on an Portuguese fly fishing forum

Neat. Any restrictions on summoning?

>Does hiring of of faction constructs incur the mercenary tax?
No

Nothing natively. You will need to hire mercs and such.

Summoning effects just go poof and nothing happens.

It's very restrictive, but that's half the fun

Both are a lot of fun.

Rambo Somer is great. Dumping an opponents hand and shutting down triggers can absolutely decimate some crews.

Damn there goes my Mortimer and Sebastian list.

Is there a full list of the restrictions? Or is summoning it, rules wise?

Strategy and Scheme Selection (all rounds):
Deployment: Close.
Strategy: Hardcore Turf War. This Strategy uses the Turf War rules (Core Rulebook pg. 66) with the exception that VP may be scored on the first Turn.
Scheme Pool: Assassinate (Core Rulebook pg. 68). This is the only Scheme available and it must always be taken.

Game Size

all Crews MUST BE led by a Henchman, NOT a Master
The game size is 20 Soulstones.
All Crews must contain exactly 4 models, no more, no less.
Upgrades may be purchased, as allowed by the standard rules of Malifaux.
The size of a Crew’s Soulstone Pool is limited by the Cache of the Henchman leading it; any Soulstones above this amount are discarded.
Any Actions, Abilities, or Triggers which summon models are considered to be “blank” (they may not be used and have no effect on the game, as if they were not printed on the model).
Only one Scheme will be available.
The same Crew must be used in each round of the event.

is the leader henchman free or do you still pay their points?

They're free. This isn't a campaign.

Almost done with my Titania box now, Aeslin is annoying to paint, I've tried 2-3 times already and it's gone wrong, It's so tempting to just attempt to drybrush her but it looks dreadful.
From a game play perspective I'm really not impressed with Titania's totem, the idea of getting a minion back once it dies is nice but from the few games I've played this just doesn't get to happen.

I think because my opponents don't think it out too well honestly. I blame my meta for being mostly new players who plan out their entire hand instead of thinking and going with the moment to moment.

fuck yes, I like this format

been waiting for henchmen to be valid leaders for a long time now

>tfw no one locally will give three shits about four shits for this mode of play

Local henchman runs these all the time, but only made it to one so far. My pigs got whipped by the other players right away (it was a four way battle and they all had bad experiences against Gracie).

Thanks. I might use these rights fit summer demo games. Or for quick ones .

Has anyone tried "Treacherous Ties" the other official henchman lead alternate format?

No. Gotta link to the rules?

docs.google.com/document/d/1Eanh2ExaVb5zsbkCZJ6Ns943qG5_wu4HXVIx7TwfTPQ/pub?utm_source=NOVA Open Primers Are Here!!&utm_campaign=2015 NOVA Open Wrap-Up and Results&utm_medium=email

Just Crt+F till you find it.

Treacherous Ties is different from regular Malifaux in the following ways:
•All Crews must be led by a Henchman, not a Master.
•The game size is 25 Soulstones.
•The only Henchman allowed in the Crew is the Leader.
•The Crew must select two Factions: one Faction from which the Leader will be selected, and another from which the rest of the Crew will be selected. The Leader may not share a Faction with the Crew and none of the Crew may share a Faction with the Leader (for example: if the Leader was dual Faction Ten Thunders and Resurrectionists, the Faction from which the Crew is selected must not be Resurrectionists or Ten Thunders, and no member of the Crew may have Ten Thunders or Resurrectionists as a Faction). Upgrades are purchased from the Crew’s Faction and may be attached to the Leader as if they were a part of that Faction (for example: if the Crew’s Leader is an Arcanist and the Crew is Guild, only Guild Upgrades will be available, and the Leader will be able to attach them as if they belonged to the Guild).
•Only the Henchman’s printed Cache may be used, and any unused Soulstones are discarded.
•Each Crew only has one Scheme.
•Schemes may not be revealed at the start of the game.
•The same Crew must be used each round.

Set Up

All rounds use the following set up:

•Deployment: Close.
•Strategy: Treacherous Headhunter. This Strategy uses the Head Hunter rules (see Gaining Grounds) with the exception that VP may be scored on the first Turn.
•Scheme Pool:
Plant Explosives (Core Rulebook pg. 70)
A Line In the Sand: this Scheme uses the A Line In The Sand rules (Core Rulebook pg. 68) with the modification that it may not be revealed at the start of the game and the Crew scores 1 VP for each Scheme Marker on the Centerline of the board at the end of the game (up to a max of 3 VP). Note: Remember that Schemes may not be revealed at the start of the game and each Crew may only select one Scheme.

3 rounds at 45 minutes.

Arcanists
So hard to pick one master but in the end I gotta go with Rasputina and the cult of December.
Collect the bounty, all the bounty points.

In my case too busy working or masturbating furiously.

That sounds really strange. I'd have to think pretty heavily on what is want to bring.

true story, the only arcanist player I've ever met was an ex marine; his presence made the entire gamestore uncomfortable.

Lmao
>Arcanist Chad's please go

>ex marine
No such thing. Only retired Marines.

It's funny I know a guy who proclaims that he's an ex marine not retired. That was also when he first got out, not sure how he feels about now years later

he was literally said ex marine though

wasn't very old looking either

what's the fucking difference? Why are military types so fucking anal about their profession?

I would have guessed VonSchill.

Shameful display.
The military does a lot of work ensuring you internalize it's ideals. If you don't self identify as a soldier, you're not going to be a very good soldier.
Doubly so if you ever see combat duty.

So fa/tg/uys I come to you in search of wisdom. I'm entertaining the notion of starting this game after taking a glimpse of some sweet models; I'm currently halfway of the rulebook in and the system looks nice, I like the tight sinergistic approach to crewbuilding and the fancy little combos that I find are are lacking in my other games.

Going by looks alone I seem to like Neverborn the most, I'm interested in the Dreamer, Lynch and Titania. Though there are undoubtedly cool crews in other factions I like at most one or 2 masters in the whole faction (Tara, Kaeris, Leveticus), so I'm unsure of the viability of the thing. Again, not speaking from a gameplay POV just going by looks alone.

So, where do I go from now? What are the basic things a dirty noob like me who's just thinking to start needs to know before he takes the plunge? Any master and minions you recommend for starting out?

Also is there a catalog somewhere where I can look at all the pretty minis? I find the official webstore kinda confusing...

Well off the top of my head one thing is if a minion is part of a crew box you should probably pick that up instead of the stand alone minion box. Like lynch and the illuminated, better just to get the lynch box and have the master as well.

Schemes and Stones also has good series on their blog about starting for $110 or less

What and where do you buy tokens and markers for this game?

I like this sight
art-of-war-studios-ltd.myshopify.com/collections/malifauxcompatible

There are lots of people making mid or acrylic tokens and the round faction symbols on the boxes are the right size if you cut them out. Plus Wyrd sells colored bases that can do the job.

I 3D print most of them, and cut out the circles on the sides of the boxes for some. For things like smoke and trees, I use cotton balls that have been drybrushed and model trees on 50mm bases.

I use the relic knights token sets I got. A large batch of 30mm numbered tokens and some 50mm ones too make em a pretty good deal.

A Lucius player!

Do you take Hidden Sniper?

I heard on a podcast recently that it's really, really good with some specific wombocombo stuff, but I can't remember what it was.

I think maybe it was actually minimal set-up, not really a wombocombo.

>Henchman is free
Oooooohhh...
That makes so much more sense.
I was trying to make a HH list with what I had available to me, and I just didn't have the stones for Cassandra or Joss AND three other models.
I assume you can't take Totems without their Master?

Damn, every time you post more of this crew it keeps on looking better.
Your Titania's still my favourite though.
The Claw (? Spear guy) doesn't do it for me sculpt-wise though.
Is the wood grain textured in, or painted on?

I'm making my own. Got some dollar sign stickers to put as my scheme markers, skulls for corpses, a star for Hannah's void token, and sticker bullet holes for Parker's hail of bullets. All I need is an explosion for Mad Dog's blown to hell marker and I'm set.

Too bad I couldn't find Beagle Boys stickers that would fit on a base for the schemes though........and I realize I could have done up the Parker crew like the Beagle Boys. Fuck

Thanks, i'm really enjoying painting the crew too.
The wood is already textured in. I agree with you about the claw as well it's definitely the weakest of the three sculpts, I'm not really keen on the massively receding hairline on the thorn either but i'm too lazy to sculpt a better one.

Can't you just pick the lowest card?
Either way, that's all on your opponent seemingly not really knowing how the game works.

I'm not so sure about that one...
Maybe I've just not played enough to tire of the normal flavours yet.
Also needs a decently varied model pool to pick from.
Aaaand the opportunities for utterly broken shenanigans must be huge.

I have no idea why I have a picture of Pappa Loco named Lionel Richie.

I assume Thorn is barbed whips?
I like the inhuman/doll-like face as a stand-alone model, but equally it's not really the aesthetic that that crew is supposed to be shooting for.

The dynamic ponytail on sword (Tooth?) looks like it's moving either far too much or in the wrong direction, and (maybe the angle) there seems to be a hint of a presenting/twerking hip-cocking going on.

Relatively small things, but just a couple of odd sculpting decisions.
Still nice models though.

>I assume you can't take Totems without their Master?
You can take the generic totems, but not master specific ones.

How do I beat McMourning?

There's a guy at my FLGS that runs his McM crew like a smooth, well-oiled machine, and I can't work out how to stop it.

Usually in Ressrs with Moonlighting, his box and Grimwell as a cruise missile.

What faction do you play?

Colette, Arcanist at the moment, but if there are linchpins to kill or power-moves to block that would work for any Master that would be great.

Try and grab stuff that can remove conditions. It'll help stop poison and the stuff that nurses can have out. Johan is a good pick.

Sebastian is a big priority, as are nurses. I wouldn't focus too much on McMourning, he's very resilient and highly mobile.

Remember to focus on objectives.

It might be worthwhile to hold on to a high card to try and stop expunge, since it's only once a turn.

Depends how the McM player plays. I've not faced him much myself but have always heard that Sebastian is a key part of the list if poison is the focus. Remember that McM and Grimwell are not that tough them selves.

With their low willpower nurses can be pulled out of position with Performers or Oran (or Casandra if she copies them).

Do you take any beaters yourself to punish him for getting too far forward?

Don't forget Performers can wipe out any flesh construct or autopsies poison bombs he creates with the sip of wine trigger on sirens call.

Alternate Beckoner miniatures?

I've tried to paint mine..but hate the aesthetic of the miniature.

Just use performers but paint their eyes to be glowing

Seconding performers, maybe add some other 'brilliance' type effect.

If be a little leery of performers because of them being mercs which could lead to confusion.

Is there a way to summon witchling stalkers?

Sonnia can do it with an upgrade, I can't remember exactly how though, I think it's kill stuff with burning

With the reincarnation upgrade anytime something within 8" dies with the burning condition on it, she can summon a stalker if she discards 2 cards.

Witchling handlers can also summon them off a trigger on their Ml attack.

Give them a nice and unique paint job and then make it clear from the very beginning that they are not Performers, but are Beckoners.
Keep the Beckoner card in clear view also.

Alternately, you could try Hollow Waifs or even other companies like Hasslefree or Reaper who have an assortment of attractive ladies.

I should have specified earlier, I'm actually looking for something not so...sexual. I'm running a Collodi crew and it just seems out of place (Plus I just don't like that theme).

I considered some of the old Rackham line, looking for a 'hypnotic' looking doll/puppet?

There is also the Manniquins but they might not quite fit also.
There is Puppet Wars also, maybe some of them?
Other then that, I would really know, sorry.

>hypnotic' looking doll/puppet?
You could model a dull holding a hypnotic spiral.
Maybe on stilts or on another doll's shoulders for height 2.

What about pic related?

More like a scarecrow than anything hypnotic. Maybe something like cadwallon.com/dirz-biopsist-1.html

To the user last thread who asked about scans of Parkers crew cards, I'll take some pics of them in a few hours and upload them for you

Yeah, it and Surprisingly Loyal are my standard upgrades.

Hidden Sniper isn't always going to be used since it needs a ram to even go off, though that's a bit easier now with Terracotta Warriors. He can finish a model off from a weird angle. More importantly, you can drop a scheme marker off the model you shot with a ram and mask. Always a crowd pleaser when plant explosives or set up is in the pool. I've also pulled off a late breakthrough by killing my own death marshal to trigger the scheme marker drop on top of finish the job.

Every game with Lucius comes down to the wire, every win feels earned.

Usually just empty bases.

I got some nice little gravestones I was going to attach to some to use as dedicated Corpse markers, but I ended up using most of them as base decorations for Reva's crew plus Anna.

Not a fan of magic crack hookers?

If he relies on Sebastian for poison damage, prioritize killing him. It's the difference between taking 6 damage from poison each turn or 2.

Models immune to poison are nice. Models with hard to kill can help from getting killed by expunge. Condition removal can be great against nurses and poison.

McMourning can pretty easily kill a model in one activation. Rancid Transplant 3 times into Expunge is disgusting.

And, as always, focus on scoring your VPs

Now that's nice! Shit tons of good miniatures there

I like it. Maybe add something like pic related.

Yeah, based Ukranian recasters even put out newer figures in the Rackham style. Though some do raise eyebrows.

As far as the puppets goes, I think that using a standard doll or mannequin and using coffee stirrer stilts might be a possible conversion. Just paint glowy swirls on its face and you should be fine.

How big is Lazarus, at least what sized base is he on?
I'm planning on having Infamy's Futura as a proxy and she around 50 - 60mm tall.
infamyminiatures.com/shop/ranged-futura

He is on a 40mm and is Ht 3

Though most people think he should be on a 50mm

Uh, the one I ordered came with a 50mm base in the box. I really hope he's not supposed to be on a 40.

look at the corner of the card. It tells you which base size it belongs on.

Sorry he goes on a 40mm base.

Thanks for that.
Yeah, I think Futura should be fine.

Now I just need to work out if I want Ramos or Levi as my Not! Rotwang.
I think Ramos thematically fits better, whilst Levi has the full Mad Magic-Science.

Or maybe I'll just convert both of them and switch when I want.

I feel stupid, I have honestly never noticed that before.

just played Shenlong for the first time, this bro is fun as hell
side note, what would you say 10T's best henchmen hardcore setup is?

Being another faction. It's the only thing 10T is good at, anyway, you might as well go whole hog.

>I feel stupid, I have honestly never noticed that before.
Don't be, it's wyrd's damn fault for providing you with the wrong base.

For gremlin players, I've noticed a lot of wrong Pere Ravages mounted on a small bases.

I'm starting with malifaux, and I'm thorn between those two.

Ramos seems to be easier to learn and run (just sit back and keep spamming spiders/creations, sometimes shoot your ranged stuff, when guy with hammer provides scrap markers).

On the other hand Hoffman have more tricky stuff to do, like upgrading, stat-sharing,healing, detonating scrap markes etc. However he have to stick with his guys, so he's more vunreable if something snipe out his guardians or get into close combat.

The biggest minus for Hoffman is guild emissary - i hate how it looks and not fit for robo-army, when Aranists have(or will soon have) a ass-big robot that would be da best for me.

What should I do?