Anybody here played Burning Wheel? Should I give it a try or just stick with Pathfinder?

Anybody here played Burning Wheel? Should I give it a try or just stick with Pathfinder?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!0pZkQAoY!WOv8QDEY6vaG1BdiVOBofw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Read it, play it, form your own opinions on it. You have nothing to lose.

No one has played this shit? I'm trying to save myself some hassle here.

It couldn't be worse than PF.

Read Do what it says.

Get off your lazy sheeple ass and just look it over.

I looked it over. I want more info. You obviously can't supply it so shove off numbnuts.

>why aren't you thinking and constructing opinions for me reeeeeeeeeeee

Stop.

You're the one that's sperging out. All I'm doing is asking for help with something.

Take your meds.

Alternately, you can watch some people play it on Youtube or something. If you aren't deathly allergic to hipsters, there's a game put out by Roll20. I've watched the first couple of episodes and character creation seems fun. Playing seems okay, but they haven't got far yet, so I haven't personally made a decision on the game as a whole.

The premise of the game is that players have priorities that are reflected on the characters' beliefs, wich are the center of the game. Beliefs are challenged by the GM and rewarded with metacurrency when acomplished or resolved (or faught towards). Players then use said currency to boost their rolls. They are also rewarded for playing their traits and instinct in interesting or conflicting ways.
The implied setting is a Tolkien-esque mediaval fantasy but there's no classes, and races are more like cultures.
In my experience is a great game if you want more drama in games, but it requires a high investment and a change of mindset from the players (specially if you come from a D&D/PF background)
imo it deserves a reading even if you are never going to play it.

I think it sucks, but there's no reason for me to think you will. It's not a bad game, it just doesn't work for me. Give it a try.

It's a cool read regarding design and the way Beliefs and Instinct can be adapted into other games but in my opinion it goes into WAAAYYY too much detail, especially during character creation. It's cool that you really create a backstory and corresponding stats but at a certain point this is just confusing and I know I'd rather jump into the story proper quicker.

That being said, Crane wrote a lighter version for Mouse Guard RPG, and that's pretty cool. You have all the nice things of Burning Wheel with none of the overdetailed hassle. Some things do get lost in translation, but I recommend both reads, and I definitely recommend playing Mouse Guard RPG.

Any megas of it floating around?

Go to their official site and download the free PDF of their basic rules. If you can't make up your mind after those 70-some pages you should stop visiting Veeky Forums

I read the rules and find them to be better than DnD, but still far short of what I'd really like.

DnD mostly tries to compensate for its awful rules by jamming endless spells, lore, and monsters everywhere so people don't notice

It's been my experience that reading it is very different from playing it. It's definitely the kind of game you have to put some effort into, and you get better at playing and running it with practice.
That said it's been pretty amazing so far.

Jesus fucking Christ guys he wanted to talk about an Veeky Forums-game on Veeky Forums, why jump down his throat?

Hey be fair, don't quote the first user, it was the second guy being a dick.

I haven't played it. What's amazing? Having read the rules I can only guess

>but still far short of what I'd really like.
what do you like, user?

Elegant solutions. The whole "shades" system is good-to-mediocre in execution, but so awful in the way it's named and presented. Who wants to talk about the "shade" of a difficulty or skill?

I know it sounds gay and pretentious and nobody will believe me without proof, but I have designed a much better system for my own RPG system

The roll20 series gets better as the campaign goes on, they spend a while at the start in a small town where the players learn the rules, once they move out and into the city (where the rest of the campaign is focused) the series starts to improve, if you're finding it boring try skipping ahead to that point.

to be fair very few campaign are likely to get past the black shade meaning that since 99.99% of everything in the game is black shaded no one does ever talk about the shade of a skill unless it's one of the few which happened to be grey or white

It's the standard /v/tier "why would you ever ask other people about something?" autism.

I would if I could get my hands on the goddamn non-existing PDFs

What's wrong with you. Search for it on the archives.

mega.nz/#F!0pZkQAoY!WOv8QDEY6vaG1BdiVOBofw

Spoonfeeding motherfucker.

It's my MEGA, why wouldn't I post it everywhere I can?

Spoonfeeding is a disgrace to the old and a disservice to the new. When you spoonfeed, you are perverting the spirit of what it means to be user. And that sickens all of us.

this isn't /a/, for fuck's sake.

OK son.

I really wasn't aware they were scanned yet.
Thanks user.

Yeah - I really like Adam's GM style and have a particular fondness for one of the players (I don't know why his name isn't coming to me - but he played in their Ryuutama campaign too) - so I have high hopes for later in the campaign. Especially since it seems like a game and theme that would get more interesting the more they got into it.

I think you're thinking of Andrew, I agree that he's probably the most entertaining cast member, his tendency to make kind of screwed up characters isn't always a good thing from a game perspective but it makes the shows much more interesting

Burning Wheel is one of my favorite table top rpgs.

It's way different than patchfinder though. For me pathfinder is more about mostly competent people going from tactical fight encounter to another collecting loot on the way.

In Burning Wheel average starting character has hard time walking ten meters without falling over and breaking their knee. In Burning Wheel, if character is good at something, they succeed maybe half of the time, which means there is lots of failures in the game, and that's fine.
Or at least players and GM have to accept that it's fine and understand that failure is part of life.

And that's before even getting to fights, where you probably get sword stuck in your lung and if you survive that you are still horribly maimed, no heal spells or magic potions to help with that.

Learn to insult properly user. Spergs don't take meds, so you've gotta tell them to go back to their support group. It hurts more when you insult things they actually do.

It worked, he's gone you tard.

You seem to know very little about the utility of insults, but a lot about spergs, you sperg.

Tell the other tards at your pisseye groups me and everybody else thinks they should be medicated.

/a/ plz leave

It's important to recognize what Burning Wheel is a game about: people with very strong convictions and motivations as well as several things very wrong with them trying to achieve their goals. Game of Thrones actually isn't a bad example.

I was a playtester for mouseguard back in the day, and I gotta admit that I hate the 'meta' nature of it. (I'm not hating on the whole thing, just the 'meta' aspects of rpg's in general.) That was my first exposure to metamechanic games - and they really seem to have taken off since then. Is this style of game here to stay, or is this just hipsters invading our space trying to make money off us?