Has anyone ever used Fate to run a Naruto/battle anime type of game?

Has anyone ever used Fate to run a Naruto/battle anime type of game?

I found out "Naruto Fate RPG", a website dedicated to providing some Fate Core rules for players to play as a team of ninjas in the Naruto universe, and it sounds like it's pretty good for emulating the series.

I don't like a lot of the later, high-powered masturbatory shonen shit that Naruto turns into, but the main idea of military ninja-teams being sent on missions in this kinda modern, kinda fantasy japan world is very interesting, and Fate sounds like it would be perfect for running a game like this.

Considering both shonen and Fate Core run on bullshit to work, it's probably doable to some degree. The big beef everyone has with Fate (besides fuckhead nazi devs) is that it's very much meant to write characters that are some degree aware they're story characters, and they bend fate (hence the name) to work their way.

It's the same basic thread as yesterday but this time you've actually put some thought into your opening post. I'm proud of you son, keep up the good work.

Also look into Shonen Final Burst.

I knew you guys were actively ignoring me.

I checked out SFB, and the deck thing bothered my group a lot. They don't want to deal with cards AND dice; it seems crunchier than what my players are willing to deal with.

I've been recommended Savage Worlds, but it sounds like a much more down-to-earth ruleset, more simulationist than narrativist. It could work, if we went with a smaller-scale, more realistic take on the setting, which I would definitely enjoy, but I think my players want to emulate not just the setting but the feel of the series, so I don't think I'll go with it.

What's up with the devs? What did they do?
Also, that last description is pretty much what I imagine a battle shonen game being like, so it's not a problem.
My only exposure to Fate was a very short campaign (four sessions) of Atomic Robo, and it was pretty incredible.

Why not just use the superior system

>1115 pages
>the contents doesn't have any numbers
Fucking FATAL has a numbered contents.

who hurt you user

The world

And to round out the trilogy of insanity

Is this better or worse than the actual DBZ RPG?

>battle anime type of game
This one, yes. But in Fate Accelerated. I feel like FAE's "it's not what you can do it's how you do it" Approaches work better for crazy animu shonen battle bullshit than Core's skills, just use aspects and stunts to define the character's abilities.

Shonen Final Burst reads like one of those "anime RPGs" where the writer's entire knowledge of the genre comes from a couple of episodes of one anime and wikipedia.

Worse
The DBZ Anime Adventure Game is actually not that bad

The insane numbers bloat and the fact that you have attacks that cause you to roll 20thousand dice are what cause people to have problems with it, but these can be worked around and in fact the book even gives options for rolling sensible numbers of dice

The problem with those games are that the people who made them are completely stuck in the 3.5/d20 mentality.

They don't think like game designers, they think like D&D players:

Instead of designing a game BASED around insane power levels, they just take a regular d20 PC as reference for a "base" human and then upscale that to the levels of a shonen protagonist, which is absolutely retarded.

Yeah, nah. The game very quickly breaks to the point of nigh-unplayability.
Even ignoring the absurd amount of dice for attacks skills get so absolutely ridiculous that you'd have to have the exact same score as an opponent for dice rolls to have any purpose what-so-ever.
The XP system is also completely and utterly fucked beyond comprehension, promoting pumping skills and keeping your actual power level as low as possible, making the best characters one punch kill combat monsters that only get stronger every time they fight as they get insane amounts of XP for one-hit-killing enemies with power levels magnitudes higher than their own that can't even touch them.
The MOV stat has zero purpose in existing.

There's a ton of other broken garbage in that game that I can't even remember off the top of my head, but to say "these can be worked around" is complete and utter horseshit, you have to basically rewrite the entire system to make it even close to "workable," and at that point you're not even playing the same fucking game anymore.

Have a version using the Full Fuzion system instead of Instant Fusion
It tones down the numbers and ads more shit for your character to do outside of combat

might not be any better but worth checking out

>you have to basically rewrite the entire system to make it even close to "workable," and at that point you're not even playing the same fucking game anymore.
Just like the d20 System!

Fate could work.

If you're looking for a more military-focused or combat and skill oriented game I'd very much recommend Tenra Bansho Zero.

If you're looking for the goofy, super shonen anime adventure, I would recommend Cartoon Action Hour.

Isn't TBZ setting specific, though?

The idea of the system really interested me, but it sounded very linked to its setting.

Mutants and Masterminds could also work
I saw someone on the rpg.net forums use to run a Naruto game

bump

My go to shonen game is Strike!, although you could definitely take some cues from FATE.

>Atomic Robo

The FATE based Atomic Robo RPG is amazing.

>The FATE based Atomic Robo RPG is amazing.

Yeah, and I think it is better at teaching Fate than the core book itself.

If you want ninja, get Shinobigami.

Having looked over the Atomic Robo fate book
I now want to run an Atomic Robo/Hellboy shared universe game

Yeah, after playing the Atomic Robo RPG the only thing I could think about was how to run Hellboy with it.