On a scale of garbage to Lady Eboshi, how would you rate the quality of your villains?

On a scale of garbage to Lady Eboshi, how would you rate the quality of your villains?

What kind of scale is garbage to garbage supposed to be?

Seriously Princess Mononoke is overrated trash and Lady Eboshi is shallow and unmemorable.

Go fuck a wolf, kid.

>Lady Eboshi
>villain

>Eboshi
>Villain

She even repents at the end and promises to rebuild the town without murdering the forest.

Bunch of fucking hippies can't into morally complex characters

She was a villain to the environment but really cared about her people, especially the women and disabled. She was a multifaceted character, like pretty much everyone in that movie. It's what made it good. If anything the monk guy Billy Bob Thorton voice acted was the real villain.

The movie illustrated the conflict between nature and industry without villifying either. Eboshi's city caused harm to the forest, but also brought wealth and prosperity to the downtrodden people.

For antagonists I usually have either humans who make choices which don't mesh with the PCs perception of morality, or forces of nature which can't help what they are.

e.g.
Players hunt down rogue Mage. Turns out he'd been vivisecting spirit-humans hybrids and werewolves. A few had died on his table, and he didn't give a shit.
Cooperated with other werewolves to capture him, only to find out that the dude had basically a horrific anti-reality parasite infesting and corrupting his mind. Meaning he had no real control over his actions and was a few days away from death, his mind unravelling.
Rescue him, purge the parasite. Werewolves don't give a shit, so they have to betray them to save the poor Mage from extended, vicious torture and eventual death.

Cabal of Mages who wish to control more of the world have travelled to an island in the middle of the Caribbean and engaged in a protracted ritual to summon a God of the Sea and bind her in unbreackable shackles. As a result, the seas are clamer, but some more of the majesty and wonder of the world is gone. The players are assembled by another Mage who wishes to save her, and together they release the God. Sure the seas are now more dangerous again, but the world is once again complete and whole.

So bad at being a villain that she loops around and becomes a hero.

>She was a multifaceted character, like pretty much everyone in that movie.
So, what are blind granddad boar facets?
Actual question, it has been a while since I saw the movie.

Lady Eboshi was completely in the right. If anything the MCs were the villains. The nature gods were clearly going to fade out with the march of technology regardless of the individual incident in the film, but Eboshi used this emerging development to protect the vulnerable and oppressed within society. All the protagonists did was ensure the ones suffering would continue to suffer tomorrow.

>The nature gods were clearly going to fade out with the march of technology regardless of the individual incident in the film
That how we may see it from an external point of view, but how would they know?
Beside you can hardly blame Mononoke for protecting what she considers her family.

Your mom

Sacrificing one family for another?

Is that what those families would want?

If that's what they want, is that the kind of people you want in the world?

Preserving tradition in the face of outsiders with advanced technology. Protecting your tribe at all costs. Not listening to more reasonable allies who want the same ends as you but disagree about the means to get there.

OP, Princess Mononoke pretty much doesn't HAVE a villain.
It just has misunderstandings causing disastrous outcomes.

>Cabal of Mages who wish to control more of the world have travelled to an island in the middle of the Caribbean and engaged in a protracted ritual to summon a God of the Sea and bind her in unbreackable shackles. As a result, the seas are clamer, but some more of the majesty and wonder of the world is gone. The players are assembled by another Mage who wishes to save her, and together they release the God. Sure the seas are now more dangerous again, but the world is once again complete and whole.

So your players don't watch fucking blockbuster movies, is what you're saying

>implying the villain isn't the emperors desire to become immortal.

>implying my players aren't the villains

What I'm saying is that there is nothing new under the sun, and my players had a blast.

Also I approached the topic from a vastly different standpoint than the movie, such that my group only really made the connection towards the end of the adventure.

Her release was the culmination of the entire adventure, with the rest of it devoted to hunting down her prison, reassembling her court of ancient sea spirits, and acquiring an artifact suffiicent to break her chains.

Reminder that Miyazaki's crowning achievement was a movie praising the Zero as the greatest thing ever built.
But yeah, sure, let's keep pretending he's a pacifist.

I don't think user said he was a pacifist?

My villain is almost wholesale ripped from spoiler related.

20 minutes.

I think some have been great, while others just standard villains.

I once made the "enemy party" an almost carbon copy of the Winds of Destruction (but with cybernetics replaced with magic) and nobody noticed.

I also included a community of people devoted to chaos who made a living creating exotic art and trading unique coins with depictions of frogs on them (the less common the better), but they were kind of canon in the setting already.

This. Really.

Solid 7.

Writing good NPCs is one of the only things I do well. I'm bad at description and bad at combat flow, but I'm reasonably proud of my dialogue.

He's deliberately designed to be a bland middle-rung bureaucratic entity who happens to be executing vicious policy as part of his job. The evil of middle-management. So he isn't very exciting or flamboyant.

My current villain is 7th Sea's Villanova. He mostly wants to hunt down his escaped wife and courtesan, but considering the party helped them escape and been doing everything in their power to fuck his plans up killing the party will be icing on the cake.

He's a guy who loves aviation.
The Zero is a beautifully designed plane.
One can admire a plane without approving of what it was used for.

NO U CAN'T

AN OBJECT IS UNFLINCHINGLY TIED TO THE PURPOSE BEHIND ITS CREATION

EDGE EDGE EDGE EDGE

Current game, one of the players is the villain. She's doing bretty good though, at least intimidating and realistic goals.

Tim curry/Legend

You know, I'd really love to run a campaign where the PCs effectively play Lady Eboshi.

Just give them some land on the frontier and let them carve a domain out for themselves.
Have them recruit and protect settlers, hunt down dangerous monsters, deal with internal problems, trade and natural disasters.

Glorious.