EDH/Commander General

Low-cost generals edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/progress-through-pain/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/how-to-be-a-galvanic-genius/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-09-16-sydri/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-09-16-wildborn/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sydri-combos-2/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shitlorddec-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-08-16-xenagos-god-of-fatties/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/12-09-16-karametras-harvest/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-03-16-spirit-tribal/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-09-16-toshiro/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zurgo-helmsmasher-boardwipesuperfriends/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Am I an absolute madman for wanting to make an EDH cube draft?

Wouldn't that just take a huge amount of work and end up being less fun than either a normal draft cube or normal EDH?

Yes

That would likely be astoundingly expensive and not very fun

I think the challenge of developing it sounds fun, plus it sounds like a wonderful way to use bulk cards that one wouldn't normally use

X for RW will never be good

Obligatory "post them," post.

So I whipped up a Nin, the Pain Artist deck recently and it has been rather fun to play.
I am looking to see if there is anything interesting or fun for me to use to help better the deck.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/progress-through-pain/

Which commander allows for the most avenues to victory? The most toolboxy

Teysa = janky voltron
Kruphix = card draw addiction
Sidisi = goodstuff/tutor whichever depends on my mood
Jhoira = janky cheating eldrazis into the field
Sevala = grouphug deck, but cheating tokens into the field
Xenagos = Zoo trampling horde
Avacyn = boardwipes.dec

Is your Sydri list available for viewing?

Not that guy but check this one out:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/how-to-be-a-galvanic-genius/

Yesh.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-09-16-sydri/

Thanks lads, excellent taste

At least RW isn't the same shit like mono red

t. U/G who beats mono red bitches daily

This one is good too, contains pretty much every feasible thing you can combo with Sydri if you're able to spend that much on all of those cards.

My deck here like many of my others is within my budget though which is usually anywhere within 200-400 American Freedom Coupons.

Thanks

So I made a Mina and Denn, Wildborn deck, but it feels kinda, I dunno, scattered? Not quite focused enough? I'd like some advice if possible.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-09-16-wildborn/

Obviously I'm missing some stuff, a couple of Overrun effects and probably Nissa, Worldwaker, but this is the best I could do with what I actually own.

>tfw you remand an Ancestral Visions

unf

I'm not super into edh but I'd like to have a whatever-deck to carry with me to FNMs and stuff for whenever the opportunity to get in some edh games on the side arises. I don't feel like spending much time on deckbuilding nor hunting down cards specifically to play them in an edh deck. Would buying one of the precons and upgrading it with whatever goodstuff that happens to find itself in my collection serve this purpose? Power level is irrelevant, I just want to be able to join in the average edh gang without feeling too handicapped.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sydri-combos-2/

This is my current revision

Yes, as long as they aren't super competitive some of the precons are pretty nasty, special mention goes out to meren, oloro and prossh.

Get the RW precon or the GB precon from the last set.

Meren was the absolute best precon you could get last year if that matters.

Dunno why there's no Pili-Pala to go infinite with Grand Architect though.

>2x Akroma's Memorial

Slightly updated.

Also, unpopular opinion: I actually am fine with Nin as my artifact Commander and I'm having very low expectations when they reveal the upcoming UR artifact Commander. Unless the new Commander has some form of tutor OR a way to dump mana, I'm sticking with Nin.

Don't quote me, not my deck I was just commenting on it. you guys meant to quote

>that list
>those alters

Some top tier stuff my man

Template

Ah man. I'll work on this next I suppose.

Oh, thanks a lot. My friend did the alters for me in exchange for all the extra paints I had when I changed to a different company for my miniature painting.

Outside of the aler for sydri, my favorite that my artist friend has done for me is the magus of the moon on this deck: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shitlorddec-1/

Slightly updated. Got my friend in for his first few rounds of EDH today. His Grimgrin is surprisingly good for a first commander deck, but he's always been a strong player so it was to be expected. Says he wants to build build a five color Scion deck next out of a draft deck he still has left over from Dragons of Tarkir. Should be interesting.

I am building Xenagod but I am not sure which and how much ramp I should be running. I do not like the idea of running mana dorks because they are completely irrelevant in the late game but I might as well need them because of my curve? what do you guys think?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-08-16-xenagos-god-of-fatties/

Anyone mind helping me make cuts in Karametra?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/12-09-16-karametras-harvest/

Picked up Lotus Cobra, Council's Judgment, and Song of the Dryads today. I know I definitely want Cobra in, but I'm not 100% on the others.

How do you store all of your decks, user?

I like to use those clear hard plastic 100ct ultra-pro boxes so I can see what deck is what at a glance.

Ah cool you use ultra pro sleeve stuffs then. I wanted to use those but I ended up going with Ultro Pro Satin towers.

finally gonna try brago as a commander what with all these etb for energy counters in kaladesh. I have a few questions about his blink ability though. If I detention sphere an oblivion ring then blink all my permanents, does the o-ring etb with nothing to target on my field? Also, if brago hits a player and he activates spear of heliod, can I blink brago in response with his own ability to dodge that destroy effect?

Kjeldon Firebombers says hello, ramp scum.

Can you post your 5 color aura deck with the sliver at the helm. That's the coolest concept for a deck I have heard in a long time

I'm working on a Reaper King Stax deck. I don't have a list right now, but what are some suggestions for it past the usual Stax and Reaper King tools?

I'm already planning on including most of the viable scarecrows/changelings. I have my Smokestacks, Ensnaring Bridge, Winter Orb... You name it. If it goes in Stax normally, I probably have a copy of it. I've never tried this five color game before however; I'm a bit lost as to what spicy tech to include (especially red and green).

For most of the sleeves I try to get dragon sheet mattes for their durability, but yeah those satin towers are pretty nice boxes.

For your second question, the Brago effect would go on the stack before your opponent has the opportunity to activate Spear first, so your opponent could respond to Brago's effect with the Spear's effect to destroy it. However, you cannot blink Brago "in response" to that effect. Also, if Brago re-enters after the blink, it wouldn't be a legal target for Spear.

I don't understand the question about O-ring, all of your permanents are back when O-ring is back on the field.
You can dodge the destroy effect, unless they're stupid and don't activate the spear in response to Brago trigger. If they don't and you decide to blink Brago anyway, the spear won't hit him anymore.

In retrospect, I recognize haiku potential

Those fierce Keldon boys
fire bomb your filthy land base
blue green degenerate

I'm having a dilemma guys. Personal circumstances are turning me into a bitter person and my attitude is starting to spread into the time while I'm playing. Sometimes I don't even notice that I'm extremely irritable during EDH games. I've now acknowledged this and I'm going to apologize to my playgroup tomorrow. I don't want to make the game miserable for them.

Is there any tips that can help me keep my irritability at a minimum?

Post your Marchesa list?

Best token producers for zada?
More Spell based, or more creatures ETB based?
How many rituals?

-A standard babby trying to learn edh

Oh, also, I'm not sure if should call it ScareStax or StaxCrow. Any input?

A better way to ask it is, if I blink a detention sphere that exiled a o-ring, in what order do they reenter the field?

I'm new to EDH. I've been reading up on decks, and I'd like one that's relatively cheap to build and works decently in both a group game and a 1v1. I'm interested in Stax, Pillowfort, and Eldrazi decks. Can anyone help?

First Sphere, then O-ring, since the exile is instantaneous and it's back on the field when the LTB-ability resolves. At that point you can't exile Ring with Sphere, but works the other way.

i feel like we're going to see a lot posted in a week when people actually finish filling it out, myself included.

Eldrazi may be expensive but there are multiple forms of pillowfort you can do.

I'm not really sure what you're definition of "cheap," may be but here is my iteration of pillowfort as a WU spirit tribal that beefs up Geist or any other ghost you wish. It's proven effective in both groups and 1v1 and is under $200.

I'm sure plenty of others have great ideas too.

stax is far from budget and nobody wants to play 1v1 against it. eldrazi is meh unless you put money into it too, you that leaves your last option which is hardly fun in 1v1, but its the closest to what you described. Use edhrec.com and input commanders youre interested in running for ideas.

Forgot to link it.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-03-16-spirit-tribal/

and as this user said, edhrec is your best friend

>relatively cheap
>Eldrazi
Cut that option out senpai.

I'd probably recommend starting the GB Meren precon and then building around Mazirek, Gitrog, or Savra for stax. Pillowfort isn't as viable in 1v1 imo.

I like Geist. It's pretty cheap now, right?

yeah, especially since they sort of rereleased him in a duel deck.

Doran Big Butts? If you mean Pillowfort as in Treefolk with phat asses you might enjoy that

Favorite colors? Are you a Spike Johnny or Timmy?

Alright. Fair enough.

That makes sense.

Would a Lazav control/reanimator EDH be decent?

someone needs to make an image of some sort for people who aren't familiar with those terms.

Esper colors, especially blue; Spike/Johnny.

I meant more of a stall/defensive type thing.

>esper colors

see

I've seen Lazav psuedo-tribal shapeshifters work pretty well. It seems a little matchup dependent, but it looked like a lot of fun to play.

I think a capped greentext summary of your image would work

That's no fun though. I'll work on some meme image unless someone wants to do what you mentioned or make their own image.

In more advanced meta stax can be welcome, though, as combo decks won't win as fast and therefore are easier to disrupt. Of course mana/resource denial irritate many people who just want to play fatties in a battlecruiser meta.
I find stax really fun to pilot and somewhat fun to play against, depending on what kind of deck I am playing and what kind of stax is it.

I have a long way to go, but I've been working on a Toshi Umezawa deck I could use some feedback on.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-09-16-toshiro/

I like your style, a little extra meme magic never hurts.

Get yourself more lands with Special ETB-triggers and Amulet of Vigor to abuse the hell out of your land-bouncing

My meta consists of two Jarad players, a Vorel combo player, a Zurgo aggro player, a Snakes tribal player, and a Reaper King combo player.

well shit. Here I though I could be a cool guy and blink my entire field so his o-ring can etb with no targets

Why is he so perfect?

O-ring has to target, if it can. Opponent's have shit, too.

>ramp scum

Sorry I don't ramp in blue green, I beat your shitty ass decks with infect and combos.

Anal Rodeo incarnate, literally perfect

yeah but if the brago blink etbs first, then he gets to rechoose exiling my stuff, unless I get to choose the order of etb

Is it me or does it feel like there should and Jund Landfall commander to play all these and Gitrog in.

God, I love this list. I'm so glad that tuned artifact decks pretty much run the same cards. I need to build this.

That'd be too perfect.

Go ETB token producers so there is synergy with Twimflame and Heat Shimmer. There are not many good ones unfortunately. You want creatures before, not after combat.

You want to roll Tempt with Vengeance, Goblin Fodder, Molten Birth, Krenko's Command, and Hordling Outburst.

All of those are cheap for Flashback with Past in Flames, or grabbing them with Goblin Dark-Dwellers.

No rituals besides Mana Gyser. You should instead run Gauntlet of Power, Caged Sun, Ruby Medallion. Most of your spells should be 1-2 CMC or free to cast.

Land that produce tokens or can be sacrificed for tokens are good as well.

1. Make Omnath the commander and moved M&D to lieutenant status
2. Add Azusa, Domri Rade, Courserof Kruphix, Crucible of Worlds, and Parallel Lives and DOubling Season
3. Outramp your opponent and watch your countless Omnath tokens sound your foe's dick to pieces

Unfortunately, the deck list isn't up at the moment. (Laziness is the excuse.) I can fill you on a few things: 1) The only "demigod Auras" I use are Favor of the Overbeing, (Flying/Vig), Gift of the Deity (Lure/Deathtouch), Steel of the Godhead (Unblock/Lifelink), and Runes of the Deus (Trample/2x Strike). I had all 10 of them but these four are the only relevant ones. Other Auras are obvious ones like Armadillo Cloak/Eldrazi Conscription/the like. Other than that it follows the same pattern as a Uril deck. I'm currently working on finding Enchantments that kind of mix up the gameplay a bit while retaining the Aura theme it has.

I haven't put up a list for Queen Bitch (again, laziness) but I will give you the Zurgo list before it became Queen Marchesa since a good chunk of it is retained through the transitioning process.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zurgo-helmsmasher-boardwipesuperfriends/
There are far less Planeswalkers and Boardwipes, and focuses more on Sunforger/Instants. The Planeswalkers I do keep all make tokens for themselves plus Ugin/Lilly v.1. Obliterate + Academy Rector is still a thing in this deck.

Thank you! It's been a labor of love for the past year and a half! Istill need to make room for a few more optimizations, like Imperial Seal (lul price tag). The deck plays pretty nicely, though.

Go for the dream. Invocation of Saint Traft and and moonsilver spear on him

If you brought this deck to my table I would never let you back into my house. Not sure if you realize but this is a casual format, bub.

Take a deep breath and contemplate on what exactly irritates you. If you know why then you can stop keep it from ruining the experience.
Just go:
"Deep breath"
Why am I angry?
Does it makes sense?
Does it have anything to do with the situation at hand?
If no, then calm down and relax. There is no need to be upset.

It works for me and hope you find it helpful.

Commander is a format where you can use almost every card in the history of magic in it. It's also a social format. Me and all my buddies have been playing Magic for 18+ years. This is casual to us. The term is relative based on your local playgroup.

Hey, a tangentally related question. Sorry if this is off topic, but I checked the catalog and couldn't find a better general to put this in:

I need money and I'm considering selling my Magic cards (mostly EDH stuff). What's the best way to go about this? I've sold cards to LGS before, but they have to resell the card, so you don't get the card's full value that way.

Ebay.

A possibility. One of the wrinkles about selling your collection is how to break it down. Most people won't want your whole collection unless its at a discount, but selling singles is more time consuming. I'm not sure what the best balance is.

I'd sell the more valuable cards in your collection as singles and then the rest in bulk, probably.

New Grenzo is so fucking fantastic as a commander.

Out:
Great Aurora, Boundless Realms, Archetype, Primeval Bounty, Rampaging Baloths

In:
Tooth & Nail, Craterhoof, Song of the Dryads, Bane of Progress, Courser of Kruphix

Paying 8+ mana should win you the game, not ramp out more lands.

Seems to lack wincons. I would cut some of the shittier and more situational instants like Treacherous Urge, the other Kamigawa legends, and Spotlight for Coffers, Nykthos, Expedition Map, and a couple more haymakers. The deck looks weak against spellslinger and control, so I would also like to see some stax effects like Bottomless Pit

Just remember what makes you enjoy playing. But if your rage gets the best of you, play this commander as penance.

Maybe I'm just way too much of a Spike but I just can't understand how commanders like this could be fun to play as. Yeah, you're running the table politics etc etc, but you're never going to win. What's even the point in playing?